Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Sounds great, certainly no volume issue there, although don't know why they can't run a cable out the window :)

Nor do I, but it never seems to be an option when we play there.

That amp did quite well, though; I only had the volume and gain on half. There's a gig in a park in a week or two so it will come in handy then.

My 80s Alternative / goth duo played on Friday, just locally on the road I grew up on. Last time we were acoustic so we decided to bring the full band with our electric set, drum machine and sequenced keys. We walked in and some of the locals starting saying "Here come the professionals!" Assuming they weren't comparing us to Bodie and Doyle, it was a great welcome. We did a really solid set and returned later on with mandolin / mandocellos to back the country guy. A great night.

949493820_image(5).jpg.f9c028b95c61922f9a0cebfdbd6f3827.jpg

• Like 10

Last night was a late one. We don't follow football, so the final didn't cross our minds until we arrived to set up at 7 to find the pub full & waiting for kick off, and told "Oh yes you'll be going on after the football". So we set up and settled in for a long night... and then that was delayed so we ended up going on. Eventually went on sometime after 10:30 and played through til midnight using the two sets as a guide and swapping stuff as we went. 

Fair few stayed, but it certainly thinned out after the game ended as it did. Slightly harder work for me as we were a guitarist down, and I was in charge of the PA on my iPad - though that was pretty much a set and go affair.

It has been quite funny seeing a couple a FB posts today from people who came to the pub for a band and were whizzed off that they got football 🤣

Previous week was a blast with another outing with my first ever band from 44 years ago reliving our selection of punky power pop choons. Hells bells we used to play stuff fast. Seemed to go well generally, if confusing the heck out of some of the regulars of the venue more used to the more usual cover band fare

• Like 7

Not last night but Thursday, we played at The New Cross Inn in SE London. 

We headlined, was only my third gig with the band. We didn’t sound check, just went on stage with not even a line check just plugged into the provided amps and set our sounds (Sansamp very helpful in this situation), then went for it. As we were headlining we’d put 2 new songs into the set, with only one rehearsal, so I found those a bit difficult structure-wise, but they went ok. Being mid-week it was very sparsely populated but we played well and got some good applause from those who did attend.

I’m liking this band, there’s a relaxed attitude to it that I’m not used to, and which is quite welcome. It is a bit of a culture shock though and at times I find myself biting my tongue a bit but I remind myself that that’s how they’ve operated for years and I wanted to join, so keep big mouth shut & chill. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m liking this band, there’s a relaxed attitude to it that I’m not used to, and which is quite welcome. It is a bit of a culture shock though and at times I find myself biting my tongue a bit but I remind myself that that’s how they’ve operated for years and I wanted to join, so keep big mouth shut & chill. 

I think that's very sensible @Lozz196. Having played with pros, ex-pros and local lads who just want a laugh, I think it's about fitting in to the band you join. I've bitten my lip a few times when playing with amateur bands (gaps between songs, showing up to rehearsal having not learnt songs everyone else has bothered to do etc). I also think anyone after Andy is going to look like they have a relaxed attitude! 😺

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, WalMan said:

Last night was a late one. We don't follow football, so the final didn't cross our minds until we arrived to set up at 7 to find the pub full & waiting for kick off, and told "Oh yes you'll be going on after the football". So we set up and settled in for a long night... and then that was delayed so we ended up going on. Eventually went on sometime after 10:30 and played through til midnight using the two sets as a guide and swapping stuff as we went. 

Fair few stayed, but it certainly thinned out after the game ended as it did. Slightly harder work for me as we were a guitarist down, and I was in charge of the PA on my iPad - though that was pretty much a set and go affair.

It has been quite funny seeing a couple a FB posts today from people who came to the pub for a band and were whizzed off that they got football 🤣

Previous week was a blast with another outing with my first ever band from 44 years ago reliving our selection of punky power pop choons. Hells bells we used to play stuff fast. Seemed to go well generally, if confusing the heck out of some of the regulars of the venue more used to the more usual cover band fare

I remember turning up to one pub that we used to regularly play at to me met by the obligatory big screen showing football/rugby right where we needed to set up. Landlady said we had to wait until the match had finished (which wasn't long).  Then when we started setting up she told us there was another game coming on and we wouldn't be able to start playing for another could of hours and play a much shorter set!  We reminded her we had a contract with a start time and she still needed to pay us in full regardless of when we start.  My wife also phone the pub from home and told them she had a load of friends coming to see the band and wasn't happy that they had sport on.   Landlady come over and said we can start as contracted and will turn the screen off.

Another pub refused to turn the boxing match off, on a screen right beside of the guitarist.  Finished one song with an epic guitar solo and a huge cheer. He was so pleased with himself until he realised they were cheering the boxing match.

Honestly, I really don't know why pubs have to show sport when they've booked a band (actually, I do know why, but it annoys me nonetheless). And they expect a 6 piece band with drums and PA system to be setup and ready to go at the snap of a finger.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Another pub refused to turn the boxing match off, on a screen right beside of the guitarist.  Finished one song with an epic guitar solo and a huge cheer. He was so pleased with himself until he realised they were cheering the boxing match.

Now that is kinda funny. :tatice_03:

Sorry for laughing but he is a guitarist. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saturday's gig was in a very professionally set up marquee at a holiday camp from 3pm - 6pm

1st set was pretty busy but the marquee emptied at 5pm when we began to smell the whiff of BBQ fuel as lots of people hopped it to get the dinner ready. Troopers that we are we played through till 6pm when lots of people came in to tell us they'd been sitting outside in the sunshine and loved the band.

A strange day.  

We've been asked back to play a night time slot at their Sept festival so we must have done something right.  

• Like 6

A very decent Friday night crowd at a East End venue, lots of voices joining in with the songs and a general good time being had by all. At one point from the stage I saw through the window what I thought was punch up outside. It was infact people dancing and pogoing in the street..!!! Never had that before…

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We had the same issues on Saturday around the football although we were advised beforehand that it would be a late start.

Started about 10.30pm and played through to just after midnight in the end. Was actually still a good crowd in the club and were up for a good time.

• Like 1

Have I missed a thread about upcoming gigs?

It would be great to see what gigs basschatters are playing near me (and be able to publicise my own gigs in the hopes someone turns up!)

Surely there is such a topic, but if there is I haven't noticed it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Have I missed a thread about upcoming gigs?

It would be great to see what gigs basschatters are playing near me (and be able to publicise my own gigs in the hopes someone turns up!)

Surely there is such a topic, but if there is I haven't noticed it.

Haven't seen one either and its a great idea. Maybe you should start one off.

Dave

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is there a performance forum?

I was thinking about one rolling thread rather than a thread per gig.

Will start something, mods can kill it if it's no good...

I quite like the rolling page idea too. That way its always up to date when you look at it.

Got my 👍

Dave

Outside in a sunny packed Pub Beer garden this afternoon in Dorset, next to the BBQ which was pretty galling as we were asked to announce the food was closing half way through our second set. Cheeky gets, I managed to prise a round of drinks off them before we started but they didn't even ask if we wanted feeding. Talk about hiding in plain sight!  Gig went well and we've managed to get our singer to embrace a Telecaster rather than her acoustic, next we'll have her standing up rather than sitting on a stool like in a folk club.....

Moving on we have 2 gigs this Sunday, one a Vintage Festival, then another Festival on the 11th and 12th too! Look forward to the Festivals as usually get good sound, both in monitors and the PA. In deference to the Jubilee I brought out my 50 year old Telecaster Bass today, but think I'll travel lighter at the weekend with the Acinonyx

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 5

Played at a Bournemouth retirement complex- a first for me - and delighted to find that musical appreciation doesn’t fade with age. The Otis Jay Blues Band enjoyed celebrating the jubilee with like minded folk … I reckon we will be back!

845EE1B5-6A71-4186-BBF1-1165AFC1583E.jpeg

• Like 11

Just home from a brilliant Bandeoke night in a music pub in Wiltshire.

Loads of people getting up to sing and people head hunting us for other venues.

This is almost my ideal band - no rehearsals, play anything we're asked regardless of whether we know it, and somehow pull the whole thing off.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

We played the Nice'n'sleazy Festival in Morecambe yesterday...

We were on at about 1800, there were probably a hundred folks in there, none of whom appeared to hate us! Not a single bottle of piddle was thrown, there were in fact people shaking about in a rhythmic fashion...

'Twas our 2nd gig with the 2 bass line up which worked very well - gnat's chuff'n'all. And I had the slight disadvantage of a broken leg, so had to sit. Which I enjoyed! I felt like a jazzer...

And even more excitingly, I used my new (eBay!) Line 6 Helix LT. I like that too!

received_1423589688104017~2.jpeg

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Last night's gig was mostly yesterday afternoon - played with Franklin's Tower on the patio at the back of a pub close to the centre of Oxford (The White House, for those who know the area). Start at five, had to skip a few songs we had hoped to play, finished at seven - no breaks. First proper gig this year, felt good to be back out there. 

After some indecision about whether to the Jazz or Precision, I took one of each and the Jazz stayed in the car. Played my 2012 US Standard P for the whole gig, through the Ashdown ABM 500 2x10 combo I bought from a fellow Basschatter recently. Sounded good where I was standing, and I am told also sound good out front.

Next gig is this afternoon, same band but slightly out of the city at Iffley, close to where I spent the first ten years of my life. I expect I'll use the same equipment but probably take a second Precision as back up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stewblack said:

This is almost my ideal band - no rehearsals, play anything we're asked regardless of whether we know it, and somehow pull the whole thing off.

Totally with you on that front, it's great flying by the seat of your pants sometimes. I hate it when songs take weeks and weeks to get right in rehearsals.

On another note, I've been off the road for three weeks now due to band member holidays and these posts are keeping me going. Keep it up everyone!

Edited by Davy