Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

19 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Sounding good Dave.

Apparently the bass wasn't going thru the PA. The SE in the venue said the bass stage volume was too loud to go thru the PA. 2nd set i turned down and couldn't hear myself over the drums on stage.

I play at the same amp volume for every gig as my amp is set up to drummers volume. I've played this gig before and amp settings were exact same. Because i turned amp down a touch i ended up playing harder to be heard and subsequent sore fingers and blisters by end of the night. Not what i'm used to in this venue but original SE retired. We had a 5min sound check before doors opened due to PA issues. The sound was poor on stage but the FOH sound seemed to improve as time went on. Dont think the very young girl SE had ever mixed a Glam band before where bass and drums are quite solid in the mix.

Sounds ok tho.

Dave

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Apparently the bass wasn't going thru the PA. The SE in the venue said the bass stage volume was too loud to go thru the PA. 2nd set i turned down and couldn't hear myself over the drums on stage.

I play at the same amp volume for every gig as my amp is set up to drummers volume. I've played this gig before and amp settings were exact same. Because i turned amp down a touch i ended up playing harder to be heard and subsequent sore fingers and blisters by end of the night. Not what i'm used to in this venue but original SE retired. We had a 5min sound check before doors opened due to PA issues. The sound was poor on stage but the FOH sound seemed to improve as time went on. Dont think the very young girl SE had ever mixed a Glam band before where bass and drums are quite solid in the mix.

Sounds ok tho.

Dave

I don’t usually go through the PA either Dave unless it’s a bigger affair like the bikers gigs we do. The Sandberg sounds nice and defined....might give another one a chance.

Edited by martthebass

Did a private function last night. Played well and a decent crowd. Lead guitarist had insisted on substituting a song in that he likes on the grounds it’s one ‘everyone loves’. Despite protestations I was outvoted (drummer always votes with lead guitarist as he is in another band with him). And guess what? Before that song we had 60+ up on the dance floor, after it, two lads who were bouncing around all night. Absolutely killed that part of the set.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, martthebass said:

I don’t usually go through the PA either Dave unless it’s a bigger affair like the bikers gigs we do. The Sandberg sounds nice and defined....might give another one a chance.

If there's a full PA there i'll use it as i find it fills the room better even if its just a touch of bass thru the PA. I dont use PA with the punk band but its mainly smaller gigs with them generally pub sized venues at the moment. The venue in the pic holds around 200 i think and they have a pretty large PA and were renowned for their Sound guy. Every band i know that played there complimented the sound guy. Shame he retired.

Have to say the Marlowe sounds absolutely amazing. A little more defined than the VM4 but the Marlowe has a slim neck more like my Geddy Jazz. The VM4 for me has a more general approach to the neck that would suit more people. Both amazing basses tho.

The other thing is the Mesa rig has a nice warm depth of tone. I've tried the VM4 thru other rigs and its not quite there for me so for me its a combination of bass and rig that i get the tone i really like. Any bass i've played thru my Mesa rig has sounded really nice but its a personal taste.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh we do saturday night as well, although we tend to do it faster (not intentionally, it always ends up stupid fast!).

Love the bassline on that when it is more at this speed.

At rehearsals it occasionally runs away in bits and it takes a bit of taming to keep the pace right all the way thru.

Elton John songs are usually pretty great to play. Basslines are not overly complicated but interesting wee runs to keep you busy.

Dave

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Did a private function last night. Played well and a decent crowd. Lead guitarist had insisted on substituting a song in that he likes on the grounds it’s one ‘everyone loves’. Despite protestations I was outvoted (drummer always votes with lead guitarist as he is in another band with him). And guess what? Before that song we had 60+ up on the dance floor, after it, two lads who were bouncing around all night. Absolutely killed that part of the set.

Never trust your guitarist to make a decision, they simply aren't equipped for thinking. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

At rehearsals it occasionally runs away in bits and it takes a bit of taming to keep the pace right all the way thru.

Elton John songs are usually pretty great to play. Basslines are not overly complicated but interesting wee runs to keep you busy.

Dave

We rehearsed this one a fair bit before lockdown and got it fairly close (well as close as a 4pc can get it) but for some reason it got shelved when we started back up in August.  We still do Crocodile Rock though which always goes down well.

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, martthebass said:

We rehearsed this one a fair bit before lockdown and got it fairly close (well as close as a 4pc can get it) but for some reason it got shelved when we started back up in August.  We still do Crocodile Rock though which always goes down well.

We used to have a keys player as a 5 piece band but they never quite fitted in for various reasons. Our guitarist now plays keys in some songs and singer Mikey plays guitar. We've always kept Sat Night even without keys it still sounds great. 

We dropped Croc Rock when we had no keys players but guitarist plays keys at certain critical points in it and then swaps over to guitar again.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I have quite a few fills that I put in when it is at normal speed that I miss out when it is fast! Its an enjoyable song to play though. First time we did it it wasn't really ready, we needed a couple of rehearsals to get it tight but it was saturday night and a fight broke out, would have been a shame to not use it!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh we do saturday night as well, although we tend to do it faster (not intentionally, it always ends up stupid fast!).

It's my favourite bassline for trying out basses and amps. Covers all the main range and really lets you dig in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Check out the Nickelback version - this has been a staple in our set for ages 

22 minutes ago, KK Jale said:

A couple of nights ago on London's most floral stage...

@Cat Burrito Transport troubles led me to take the house amp option... despite yer man's assurances it turned out to have a blown cone, so I ended up DI'd. Hey ho, still a pretty fun show though. 

15BEFBB1-E7D6-4711-954B-336D1C43F4CE.jpeg

Certainly colourful.

Dave

2 hours ago, KK Jale said:

A couple of nights ago on London's most floral stage...

@Cat Burrito Transport troubles led me to take the house amp option... despite yer man's assurances it turned out to have a blown cone, so I ended up DI'd. Hey ho, still a pretty fun show though. 

15BEFBB1-E7D6-4711-954B-336D1C43F4CE.jpeg

This would go down well in there

15 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Do you have a review process for that sort of thing? If not, you want to start one!

10 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Do you have a review process for that sort of thing? If not, you want to start one!

A band I was in for a few years used to have an xmas get together where we would review our existing set list and also potentially new songs.  We would all mark each song out of 5 and the lowest scoring ones would get ditched.  There was always room to sabbatage it by voting 0 for songs we didn't like, regardless of how they went down with the punters, but generally speaking we were all pretty honest and it kept the set fresh with new stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Send them a 'listen to me next time you want to throw something in' text while the memory is fresh. Don't forget the smiley.

Sadly there is no point, I work with two of the band and this happens all the time. It’s annoying and a shame as the band is brilliant apart from this one frustration. Usually it doesn’t have a big impact (apart from on me!) but this one just killed the set. I spoke to the others after but there were a million excuses as to why people stopped dancing. I don’t want to leave the band so I just put up with it I guess……….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, T-Bay said:

Sadly there is no point, I work with two of the band and this happens all the time. It’s annoying and a shame as the band is brilliant apart from this one frustration. Usually it doesn’t have a big impact (apart from on me!) but this one just killed the set. I spoke to the others after but there were a million excuses as to why people stopped dancing. I don’t want to leave the band so I just put up with it I guess……….

Think that's the sensible decision if you like the band and are all good musicians that generally have no other concerns then its a minor annoyance more than anything else. Think i'd be the same.

Some songs with some audiences just dont work and maybe it was just a combination of events.

What was the song out of curiosity ?

Dave

• Like 1