Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I got drafted into a Ragtime / New Orleans type jazz band as a substitute bassist for a gig last week and I was planking it. The band are really nice folks (and forgiving) but I was totally out of my comfort zone in terms of musical genres as this was their first gig in ages, I didn't want to make a dogs dinner of the bass.  I needn't have worried (too much) its was a blast and I was able to blagg my way through most of it, the crowd loved it. 

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Dazm66 said:

From our first proper gig post lockdown and with our new keys player. It went down very well and they’ve booked us for NYE. 

Sounded great. Well done.

Pity the camera guy focused mainly on the guitarist playing a simple rhythm most of the time.

I'll spare the names but in a classic case of wrong booking, my rocking three piece supported a fairly big name MOR artist, who is now of pensionable age. We played a really tight loud and energetic set to a largely indifferent audience. There was some crossover appeal but the majority were clearly there for the headliner. Afterwards our guitarist approached the headliner to politely say he enjoyed his set, to which he indignantly replied "I wish I could say the same about you!!!" 

Just in case anyone is sympathetic towards the headliner, he didn't need a bassist because "my keyboard player can do it all with his left hand"

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sounded great. Well done.

Pity the camera guy focused mainly on the guitarist playing a simple rhythm most of the time.

Thanks. Apparently he's a local pro video cameraman who films bands at this venue as a bit of a hobby so we were just happy he captured a load of video.

6 hours ago, Mudpup said:

That's really good - loved it. Nice Stingray.....

Thanks, its been with me for 30-odd years now and still the 'one'.

6 hours ago, Quilly said:

Its a great feeling when a gig goes so well you secure more gigs out of it.

Indeed. We've played here a couple of times and we work hard to get people in, which the venue appreciate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I'll spare the names but in a classic case of wrong booking, my rocking three piece supported a fairly big name MOR artist, who is now of pensionable age. We played a really tight loud and energetic set to a largely indifferent audience. There was some crossover appeal but the majority were clearly there for the headliner. Afterwards our guitarist approached the headliner to politely say he enjoyed his set, to which he indignantly replied "I wish I could say the same about you!!!" 

Just in case anyone is sympathetic towards the headliner, he didn't need a bassist because "my keyboard player can do it all with his left hand"

He sounds like an utter tool. There's no excusing that behaviour.

Two midweek (instead of weekend) gigs this week which makes a change. First Reading and then Folkestone, both great gigs and well worth the trek from Yorkshire. 

Again, good to see audiences prepared to come and and support bands, certainly makes me optimistic for the future.

ELO Exp Folkestone 21 Sept.jpg

• Like 6

My band Black Atlas played a local weekend festival called Balstock. 

wonderful gig in a small pub. Had the privilege of playing just before @Salt on your Bass?

Absolutely wonderful sound he had going on, and he let me borrow his cab(s) (same as what I use which was brill, I didn’t have to bring mine) 

275ECB74-5D81-48DE-BE9F-4AA0A06E72C0.thumb.jpeg.bfd06d2ff9d08a21303f4fa16a1f1aca.jpeg

• Like 6

Did a wedding tonight, went well, everyone happy, nice venue, not a cheap event. 9-12. Quite a lot of people in a nice country place.

But the most impressive thing to me was we played for 2hrs and 55 minutes, and the bride danced to every song and out set list is random (we are not a wedding band by any means)

• Like 3

Wigan Diggers Festival last night. Brilliant big stage and sound system. Great crowd. The only negative was the shared drum kit. In hindsight I should have insisted I use my own but I don't like to rock the boat. It looks like an adult brought breakables to a kids drum kit! And there was no rug so the bass drum was wandering around 

20210911_184243.jpg

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Played my first gig out of lockdown with Gévaudan, with the great honour of sharing a stage with @simon88wilson's band Black Atlas during the charity Weekender in Baldock. Top band they are and whilst we're on tone, Si's absolutely filled the place. So much groove and headbanging to those guys. Well worth checking out. 

I had definitely forgotten a number of things since regular pre lockdown gigging...speed of set up, gig fitness, how dark the stage is, how small lighting provides even more blind spots and small stage spaces. 

great to be making some racket again and feel like it dated the cobwebs off ahead our next outing in October. 

FB_IMG_1631434809308.thumb.jpg.168469baffb87ef4985322eb7132557e.jpg

• Like 1

In stark contrast to last weekend, last night was excellent.

Back to the usual line up, whole band playing really well and lots of dancers for most of the night which was impressive given how hot and humid the venue was.

May have got a wedding booking out of it too, so overall a really good night.

On the downside, I found when I got home I simply couldn't sleep, barely slept at all, so pretty exhausted today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graham said:

On the downside, I found when I got home I simply couldn't sleep, barely slept at all, so pretty exhausted today.

Is that not the sign of a great gig where the adrenelin is still running when you get home. I'm always like that. Have to wind down with a coffee and biccy when i get home no matter what time it is.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that not the sign of a great gig where the adrenelin is still running when you get home. I'm always like that. Have to wind down with a coffee and biccy when i get home no matter what time it is.

Dave

Same here, except I substitute a large scotch for the coffee. I usually enjoy the drive home from a good gig, if it's far enough*, I'm relaxed enough to sleep as soon as I get home.

*that usually means at least two hours driving

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Same here, except I substitute a large scotch for the coffee. I usually enjoy the drive home from a good gig, if it's far enough*, I'm relaxed enough to sleep as soon as I get home.

Same here Dave. Thoroughly enjoy the drive home as roads are usually nice and quiet. I always have my coffee and biccies when i get home tho.

Dave

35 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Same here Dave. Thoroughly enjoy the drive home as roads are usually nice and quiet. I always have my coffee and biccies when i get home tho.

Dave

I used to like the quiet trip home in the rare occasions I was driving by myself. Me, Radio 2 and the empty roads.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I used to like the quiet trip home in the rare occasions I was driving by myself. Me, Radio 2 and the empty roads.

This! Although these days it's in the bus usually with a roadie driving. I'll be watching TV on a tablet or having a craic with the rest of the band!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Yeah, it was only a 15 minute drive home last night, usually longer so have the adrenaline come down in the car.

Last night I literally spent hours in bed, not falling asleep - wide awake and ended up with a headache and was just really hot, couldn't shake the heat; like I was still at the gig. I ended up taking paracetamol for my head, which probably lowered my temperature as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Wigan Diggers Festival last night. Brilliant big stage and sound system. Great crowd. The only negative was the shared drum kit. In hindsight I should have insisted I use my own but I don't like to rock the boat. It looks like an adult brought breakables to a kids drum kit! And there was no rug so the bass drum was wandering around 

20210911_184243.jpg

Nice! We played there last time, it was good fun. 

• Like 1