Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We played our first gig for 539 days last night at a pub in Essex. I was actually a bit nervous about it which is unusual as it never normally happens but by the time we were hooking the PA and lights up I had forgotten about it and calmed down. It was an absolute cracker of a night and probably the best gig we have done at this venue - it was even more busy than the NYE gig we did there a couple of years back and the crowd were really up for it.

We had a couple of 'moments' but no one else seemed to notice. Extremes Get the Funk Out was a new one that got it's first airing and the drummer had a wobble coming out of the middle breakdown bit but we retrieved it - we haven't seen many other bands do it and it's going to work well for us when its settled in to the set. I've always wanted to do it and it's taken some time but it sounds great.

Loads of punters came up at the break and afterwards to say how much they had enjoyed it and there were even a couple of bass players complimenting the bass sound as well which was nice. I used my new secondhand Mesa BB750 for the first time and it's an absolute monster of an amp - meaty and warm with effortless headroom, It's just pure fat grunt. I was so pleased with the sound personally (I was grinning from the first song) and the fact that so many others mentioned it was great to hear. I'm probably going to have to find another one (or a Warwick Tubepath) as a backup now and sell everything else!

Next weekend is a double header at two of our fave venues and I can't wait...

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 3

Lead guitar with a pub covers band (signed up as a dep, now regarded as a member) playing all the usual suspects. We don't do Wonderwall but a group of young people were so insistent that we caved in and busked it to a rapturous reception.

Second late night in a row - absolutely Donald Ducked today.

39 minutes ago, Graham said:

Not great last night, we had a dep guitarist, who whilst good, had only a couple of days to learn the set and unfortunately it showed.

Nice guy, good player, but it was a bit rough round the edges last night.

I always refused to do things unless they were rehearsed to the hilt. My mate the guitarist was always wanting to play new songs after one rehearsal but I am the bass player and singer so I had to learn two parts and then put them together. Not as easy as just learning the guitar part. We used to argue and on the few occasions when I gave in, we always mucked up. I had to almost fall out with him to stop us doing songs sometimes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ubit said:

I always refused to do things unless they were rehearsed to the hilt. My mate the guitarist was always wanting to play new songs after one rehearsal but I am the bass player and singer so I had to learn two parts and then put them together. Not as easy as just learning the guitar part. We used to argue and on the few occasions when I gave in, we always mucked up. I had to almost fall out with him to stop us doing songs sometimes.

We very rarely rehearse, we know each other's playing well enough that there's normally little need and can normally debut a song and it's pretty much there.

We've also had a lot of deps and know how to work with them, it's usually they're better prepared than last night 

1 minute ago, Graham said:

We very rarely rehearse, we know each other's playing well enough that there's normally little need and can normally debut a song and it's pretty much there.

Yeah but as I said, I used to have to learn two parts. We could play the songs easily enough once we had learned it but playing is one thing. When you have to also sing over a new song when you are not totally sure of both parts is hard. When you are the singer you need to know your bass parts like muscle memory so that you can concentrate on the singing.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2021 at 14:00, wateroftyne said:

Here's a little clip from ours last night... apologies for my overly prominent baldy heed.

That's really nice. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Wee quick question but where were you hiding the pick changing from fingers to pick style 😀

Bass sounding exceptionally nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

4 hours ago, ubit said:

100 % agree. I like to know i've done enough to feel comfortable at a gig. Different bands mean different rehearsal time tho. Some bands it just clicks and can gig within a few months others take a bit longer.

I've done a few gigs where i was the new guy and learning sets in 2-3 weeks and gigging. I did ok but was never comfortable and relaxed doing them. 

I've always maintained a strict 3 rehearsals without mistakes before we are ready. Works for most bands.

Dave

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's really nice. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Wee quick question but where were you hiding the pick changing from fingers to pick style 😀

Bass sounding exceptionally nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Pick is... the edge of my fingernail 🙂

I'm really happy with that bass... it sounds great with flats.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Thanks, Dave. Pick is... the edge of my fingernail 🙂

I'm really happy with that bass... it sounds great with flats.

I do that too but i end up with a painful finger but i'm playing either punk or 70's Glam Rock songs. Can manage one or two songs that way LOL

• Like 1

Played our second gig since the original lockdown, more heavy rock sets this time, 2 x 1 hour sets, couple of new songs we learnt in August, went down very well with the punters, quite a few up and dancing.

I felt really nervous for most of the first set, very unusual for me, couple of dodgy notes and found it difficult just to settle in, I think it’s just down to not playing live for such a long time.

One thing I’m really happy with is the sound of my MM Sub since I fitted a Retrovibe kit, absolutely love it, really punchy.

• Like 1

Played at The British Country Music Festival yesterday, in the ballroom of the Winter Gardens, Blackpool. 

A great venue, but acoustically challenging, with lots of hard, reflective surfaces.

I played through the supplied Ampeg SVT and had to turn it down after the first number, as it was a huge on stage sound and it swamped out all of the other monitors. Oops!

20210905_103439.jpg

Edited by jimmyb625
Wrong photo
  • Like 4

Regular venue Satdy night, some new songs (well, six of them, four (links) sent by text Friday, two Satdy afternoon), pub was quietish (for that place - I'd say half/two-thirds full at the most), and the first two sets were OK, so the singer cranked them up at the start of the third set by Gallaghering them...I'm sorry (actually, I'm not, but you have to say that) to all the Oasis-haters, but it Just Works(tm), and the third set was borderline riotish...

Second gig back on sat evening. Chaotic day with family in the lead up, so no suprise didn't have the most energy come stage time. Felt awful sunday morning. Took a test and..... I have the Covid. Assuming caught it (or passed it) at weds practise as drummer has tested positive also. Now in the garden cabin for the next ten days. Stay safe people!! And yes, I had been double jabbed.

14 hours ago, cheddatom said:

You must have a great guitarist to attempt that!

@cheddatom He actually is....he's a bit of a prodigy tbh and is happy playing all sorts of stuff. It takes the heat off me - I am the great leveller in the skill levels with this lot :-)

Here's the top secret phone vid of the first attempt at it to see if it merited a bit of time spending on it - the singer had done the usual trick of not bothering to learn the vocals and it was our first meet up for 18 months so the vox are absolutely shocking - try to block them out in your head f you can. It's a lot better now after an hour spent on it in a couple of rehearsals and it sounded fine on Saturday. (he's really funny - if he's been caught out not doing his homework he starts fiddling about changing his guitars and amp twiddling but we've wised up now and just take it off him) The guitar solo stuff starts at about 2.50 in....

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 3

Two weekends off for me, following a bout of Covid. I got off quite lightly, thanks to the two jabs.

Our first gig back on Saturday, I was worried my voice wouldn't hold out, but it did and we played quite well - a 50 min spot then over an hour in the second half...

241470702_870545577170160_25651043331545

We hosted our jam night on Sunday and that was a lot easier, as another bass player was there to share some of the load backing people and a couple of bands were in - I knew a lot of people were away on holiday and I was relieved to see them. I had worried we might end up playing from 7 - 10.30!

11 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Here's the top secret phone vid of the first attempt at it to see if it merited a bit of time spending on it - the singer had done the usual trick of not bothering to learn the vocals and it was our first meet up for 18 months so the vox are absolutely shocking

I think you are being a bit harsh on the singer mate. If that is a first attempt then that's more than ok. The guy has a decent voice and I'm sure with a bit of work that would sound ace. Nice bass tone by the way.

• Like 1

I have to say I am jealous of some of you guys being back playing and also some of the set ups you have. I hated having to sing and play bass all the time. Especially when the guitarist wanted songs rushed into the set with little rehearsal.

• Like 1