Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

6 minutes ago, ubit said:

As much as we like to slag these venues, I'd rather play a place like that than a place where everyone sat at their tables sipping gins and tonics😉

A gig's a gig fur awe that. 😁

Pretty sure we've all played them too.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

On 15/08/2021 at 09:36, KevB said:

Return to same biker club that we played a few weeks ago but this time they only had 1 band on each night over the weekend rally so we played inside rather than outdoors. Not quite as many people as the previous rally but a decent crowd. We took our own mixer and I took my own monitor so we had more control over the sound and it was much better than last time, I even put my backline through FOH as its a very long narrow room and the low freqs get lost quite quickly when there's people dancing at the front.

We overran both sets so rather than the agreed 2 x 45 it was more like 2 x 60 and it didn't go unnoticed as we ended up with an extra 20% on top of the agreed fee at the end of the night which was a nice gesture.

Due to non overlapping holidays in the band we've had to turn down a couple of gigs so next is a pub gig next month less than a week after I get back from a 2 week break so that could prove interesting if I've forgotten some of the fine detail!

unwanted mcc.jpg

The Rockbar in Shobnall, Burton on Trent?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

A gig's a gig fur awe that. 😁

Pretty sure we've all played them too.

Dave

I remember way back when we first started out with the two piece. We were asked to play in one of the hotel bars. The owner was so worried about volume that he kept telling us to turn down. It was to the point where I didn't really need a mic. That was torture and had people sitting sipping gins and tonics with zero atmosphere and not much fee. We played there a few times only because I quite fancied the barmaid.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KevB said:

Yup, that's the one. It was an all weekend rally, we did the Sat nite slot. Decent bunch, I'd do it again if asked.

I played there a few years ago with a Thin Lizzy tribute band - great bunch but it's a horrible place to get a good sound...like trying to play in a square tunnel!

On 19/08/2021 at 08:16, DaytonaRik said:

I played there a few years ago with a Thin Lizzy tribute band - great bunch but it's a horrible place to get a good sound...like trying to play in a square tunnel!

Yeah, though now theres loads of foam baffles on the walls and ceiling at the stage end (the red and black squares) which possibly helps push the sound out front but it makes it extremely warm performing. I still ended up putting bass through FOH or it would have been uncomfortably loud onstage. Saw you in the Lizzy trib at Tap n Tumbler. I auditioned with the rest of them for a non Lizzy side project but I turned them down without being asked to join.

• Like 1

Just done a couple of small gigs this week with my country rock band. On Thursday we did a local pub, our first gig as a band in nearly two years. A few rusty moments but overall okay, although for me it was one of those gigs I just didn’t get into. Have a new drummer who is great, but had to keep an eye on him just to make sure he didn’t miss any stops or endings. Then last night we played a social club in a small town which had sold tickets for our gig at £5 a head. Was amazed to see we sold 80 so the landlord was well happy. One of those gigs that initially looked a bit naff but which turned out to be great. I really settled into it, and the new drummer was superb, listening to what was going on and not overplaying or hitting things too hard! (Should point out that we didn’t rehearse at all either, so flying by the seat of our pants.) Audience loved it, and so did I - used my Dano Longhorn, GK800 and Barefaced Compact for plenty of thump. Hopefully we’ll get a rebooking later in the year, and have another gig for the band in September.

Great to be out gigging again, with both shows feeling fairly safe ( well, as safe as they can be these days anyway). 

• Like 1

Yesterday I spent 13 hours in a pub. This was due to me being part of the organising team for a multi-act day raising money for two food banks. I arrived at 11 to help setup and left at 1am after gear breakdown. I played in four different bands during the day, not all of them planned, due to the inevitable no-shows. 
The photo is from one of the pre-planned slots, the Daz Kelly Band. I’m playing my wonderful Swift Lite made by our own @Andyjr1515.  Sadly, Daz is one of those musicians who thinks wearing a hat indoors looks cool. 😉

220C3B71-6B67-41BF-994D-9F11BF97F879.jpeg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, cheddatom said:

We (headsticks) played Beautiful Days festival this weekend, the big top on Friday, then Bimble Inn on Saturday. Both were ace gigs. I'm on drums but out bassist is awesome. Standard American P 

20210820_173000.thumb.jpg.d5552b4ae607561726ec8f1c6005e168.jpg239791249_6758975510794934_2375408645244658046_n.thumb.jpg.4761c701b0b36081ba8f770fcca9191c.jpg239526589_6753460514679767_5305660141034533966_n.thumb.jpg.491ebc98fbff7452f2a81c2cd62246e3.jpg

Nice! We're on our way back after playing the Little Big Top yesterday (I didn't play, just tech)

It was a great festival wasn't it? 

On 23/08/2021 at 08:54, jimmyb625 said:

Nice! We're on our way back after playing the Little Big Top yesterday (I didn't play, just tech)

It was a great festival wasn't it? 

Great atmosphere with a heady stench of skunk, although thank $£^^ for that as otherwise you'd have been smelling the portaloos!

We have a theatre gig tomorrow night, and have all been requested to provide negative Covid test details. Also will each have some sort of test when we arrive at the venue. I’m impressed by their efforts to minimise risks, and happy to   assist in this. Know it’s not a guarantee of safety but probably all that can be done to ensure the show goes on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Gig tonight, a little worried. Although we have done two gigs so far, this is the first one that is indoors in a pub. And there is one tomorrow too.

We’ve had 2 gigs cancelled in the last 3 weeks because of local spikes in Covid-19. We seem to be having a cancellation rate of about 50%. Hope you got lucky 😊

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just back from a long gig playing Grateful Dead music to an attentive audience in the garden of a country pub (which happens to be about a mile from where I live). Six piece band went down very well, though we need to check our set lengths. First set was estimated to be 45 minutes but ended up at nearly twice that. Great fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK, so just back, ears ringing slightly. This gig was a test case for the new landlords at a pub that was never a music pub to see if they could do groups. I think they will do groups - it was absolutely heaving. Apart from any covid concerns it was pretty well like any very busy gig before the pandemic, chaotic, busy, people were close to each other, hugging and dancing and trying to get in our space too. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, especially the landlady. I suspect that was the first of many there.

Easy load in from the road a couple of foot from the back door, not a bad layout. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

OK, so just back, ears ringing slightly. This gig was a test case for the new landlords at a pub that was never a music pub to see if they could do groups. I think they will do groups - it was absolutely heaving. Apart from any covid concerns it was pretty well like any very busy gig before the pandemic, chaotic, busy, people were close to each other, hugging and dancing and trying to get in our space too. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, especially the landlady. I suspect that was the first of many there.

Easy load in from the road a couple of foot from the back door, not a bad layout. 

What was the venue mate?

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

What was the venue mate?

it was the Pall Tavern in Yeovil. A pub I had never been in - I think the previous landlord went to prison! It is a very different place now. Also, I think it is one of the first gigs in town as as well as all the regulars from other pubs, we saw the staff from some of the other pubs and ex landlady of one of the closed ones

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Easy load in from the road a couple of foot from the back door

I remember we played at a gig on the island of Mull. The landlord booked us because a load of students had come up and he wanted entertainment for them. He put on a big pot of chilli for them and they tucked in to that free of charge. The place was heaving and we had a nightmare getting the gear in around and through them. We got set up and they all f***d off! We played the whole night to half a dozen locals.

A complete bunch of selfish, ungrateful pricks.

We have avoided anything to do with students from then on.

Edited by ubit
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

We’ve played with enough bands like that, turn up eat as much of the provided food as possible, do their set then leave immediately carrying as much of the provided beer as they can.

Flat tyres would slow down their escape….these things can happen sometimes 🤐

• Haha 1

Just played the Country Festival at the Bath and West Showground, 6.00-6.45 pm today.

When I say 'Country' I mean rural pursuits like driving tractors at 60 mph down single track roads and not 'Country' as in Dolly Parton ( although you could argue against that categorisation if you wanted). Anyway, I digress....nice big stage, great soundcrew but set about 1/2 a mile from the main showground so maybe 50-60 in the audience. Not sure how many stayed for the 'Blues Others' who were headlining 8.00-10.00 pm. I'd have stayed but forgot my coat, so excited about playing with my 2x12 rig on stage (Markbass CMD121P and NewYork 112 cab) and then through a mega P.A.

First big gig with drummer for Hello Hopeville and it feels great  to be on on a large stage with a big PA and decent monitors ( and on the opposite side of the stage to the Banjo)....... Sorry about the Bassface!

I'll add some photos when they come through....May be an image of one or more people, people playing musical instruments, people standing and guitar

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 2

Second gig of the weekend and god were my fingers feeling it. I had to play some songs with a pick just so I could save some use for later. So a village pub not too far, normally not busy. Got there, they showed us the alcove we were playing in and in conversation it popped up as 'you could play outside if you want', so we did. Thought it would be pretty empty, but when we started soundcheck people started pouring from everywhere, it was heaving (although not as close as yesterday). Apart from the finger thing, I had a problem with the amp / pedals / whatever, just couldn't get much volume for some reason, swapped the speaker leads round, tried the amp at full, hardly any volume, fiddled with the board and then something happened and all was good, but it unsettled me a bit. But after that all was good, played until the latest we could (had a curfew outside), every seemed to enjoy it a lot. 

If this is what post covid gigging is like, I am impressed, seems like everyone really wants to have a good time.

• Like 4