Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

21 minutes ago, gjones said:

This was my bands first, and possibly last, gig of 2021. It was a video for the blues section of the jazz & blues festival up in Edinburgh. We didn't do too bad considering we hadn't played a gig in 15 or so months. We had two rehearsals beforehand to go over the songs a couple of times, one of which the drummer couldn't make. I managed to record the audio of the video while it was streamed on 17th june..

I enjoyed that.

• Like 1

Played what was probably the gig of a lifetime last night - at my daughter's wedding. They held their reception in a field, with camping for those who wanted to, a leave main marquee (which is where we played) and assorted games and things to do - like a small private festival, with only one band.

We played two hours of mostly blues-based material as a three piece, with my good friend Al Stroud on guitar and vocals, his son Luke on drums and me on bass. Just about everyone there was dancing themselves silly, from the friends of my daughter & her husband to elderly relatives and toddlers of the next generation. No problems despite intermittent heavy rain, generator was absolutely solid. My son-in-law's father passed away a few years ago and we played a favourite song of his (Hey Joe) in his memory - hardly a dry eye in the house (tent!). 

One thing I had never expected to see was my ex-wife (mother of my daughters) dancing with my current wife. Very strange!

Breakfast at the pub we've stayed in for the last couple of nights, then an hour's drive through the rain back home. I'll be playing at a local blues jam with Al this afternoon if it's not rained off (again).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Played what was probably the gig of a lifetime last night - at my daughter's wedding. 

Fantastic, congrats to all. I know the feeling, I played at my son's wedding last week.

• Like 1

Great, played on a truck a field at a football club. Very busy, loads of people. Only had a short 1hr set, but they paid us as much as when we did a 3 hour set last time so can't complain, even though you only really start warming up after 40 minutes or so. Weather was good after raining most of the morning and afternoon, it cleared out about an hour before we were on.

Very enjoyable though, good crowd, stayed on to watch a bit of the band after us (the headliners). Would have been nice to do the dark bit, but then its more of a pain breaking down!

Stage sound was terrible though couldn't hear much, I could hear me, bass and vocal but only just the singer and a bit of guitar. I could only hear the drums as I was standing next to them. Asked for things to be turned up and they were a bit but still not great. Still, all things, great to be out there

rexes-trucksm.thumb.jpg.030444ca19d2eaf3a1f268b66c778a80.jpg

• Like 3

First gig since March 2020 with the UFO tribute band, ironically on Pete Way`s birthday at Trillians in Newcastle, striped trousers were in order although they were a bit tighter than 17 months ago for some reason, nailed it and had a great night, not sure what the rest of the year has to offer.

231188281_3965715863540238_5690267731100400033_n.jpg

• Like 4