Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played the same christmas eve pub as the last two years, and had the same outcome. Absolutely heaving, great crowd, one rather annoying drunk guy who insisted on dancing by my amp and pedal board with his drink in the air spilling a lot, but one of the women in the crowd saw this was an issue and managed to get between him and my stuff and slowly push him out of the way. 

We also had a few guests, one woman who often sings whole lotta love with us did that. I couldn't sing 'feel it still' because I still have a bad throat from a recent cold, but there was a woman from a local group who does that song in her band so we dragged her up to sing it with us. 

Great night and hard to stop after the 3 encores.

• Like 2

On 23/12/2019 at 11:08, Rich said:

The Three Horseshoes in Bradford on Avon. Ska band's xmas gig. Oh my word, what a blast :D the place was utterly rammed, i mean like 6 deep at the bar, up and dancing from the B of the bang. The landlord was so chuffed he gave us £200 more than we'd agreed on and demanded that we do it again next xmas :lol: Good to see breadbin there, sorry I was too distracted to chat for long -- the pressure of the load-out plus I'd lost my wallet (it turned up, thank god).

No worries Rich, I understood and glad it turned up !

Shaun the landlord is a legend 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Played my last gig  as a substantive member of my band last night, at Knust in Hamburg. We’d been invited to do the gig by friends of ours, Razors who are a great bunch. 

Set off at 5:30am, got to our hotel at 3pm for a brief rest before getting to venue for 5pm. Quick soundcheck - awesome sound for all 3 bands both on stage and out front, then off for a quick meal before the fun started. 

First band on at 8:30, Sixteen Again, a Buzzcocks tribute - they really got the crowd going, then we were on at 9:30. And it was amazing, crowd singing along with the songs, the reception after each song was jaw-dropping. Then Razors on for the end of the night, and as always delivered, they’re so good - and should be seeing they’ve been together since 1978!

Back to hotel for 2am, set off at 11am to airport, just got home at 5pm, rather tired. I’m so glad I managed to get to do this gig, we were asked over a year ago to do it and when I said I was having to leave it was the one gig we had that I still really wanted to do, fitting then that it was my last, I went out on a high!

74A5712B-C70D-4C11-B05E-E0CF2A928184.jpeg

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 5

Played a NYE gig in a large pub on the edge of Swindon. Good crowd (loading in was not too bad, getting everything out at the end wasn't so easy). We played three sets between eight and eleven and got paid fairly well. Good fun, as I was depping with my old band. I enjoyed playing with them again, all the old songs and a few new ones.

Missed getting in before midnight by about 5 minutes, so I saw the new year in as I drove around Kingston Bagpuise roundabout on the A420!

Played my MiM Jazz bass deluxe with John East pre-amp through my Rootmaster 800 head and a Super Compact cab. It was a loud gig - the amp was nearly flat out!

Depped for the first time last night at a pub near Coventry. Lots of people in the pub, but behind us in the restaurant which was odd. Little dancefloor in front of us though!

Musically, the band is a lot more proficient than my usual. I had two months and two rehearsals to get up to scratch though and I think I pulled it off. 

When I don't play a gig for a while, I always look at all these new amps thinking "I want that" or "I need that" but then when I push the Streamliner just a little bit on a big room, I have to admit that the thing is a smooth sounding beast and I won't get rid of it any time soon. It sounds immense with a bit of help from the Ampeg Scrdi. And the BF BT2 didn't break a sweat. Obviously. 

Fun gig, happy new year!

NYE gig Prince of Wales, Wimbledon.

It's a regular gig for us, always great, but this was the first time the pub has made an effort for NYE. 

Long gig, 9pm to 1am, we're talking one of Bluewine's gigs here 😉. One 15 min break 10:40ish, then a short break for the countdown. Auld Lang Syne, followed by New Year's Day - U2, then the rest of the set.

The place was probably half full at kick off, but was packed for the second set.

Recently I've not been happy with my sound. It's been the typical case of the on stage sound being completely different to FOH, even though FOH had been sounding great.

Last night it all came together. First set I used my Rob Allen Mouse, then for the more 'rock' second set one of my Shuker's. I was happy with what I could hear, and a bassist and drummer in the audience said it sounded great out front.

Double bubble too. Happy days!

19 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Played my last gig  as a substantive member of my band last night, at Knust in Hamburg. We’d been invited to do the gig by friends of ours, Razors who are a great bunch. 

Set off at 5:30am, got to our hotel at 3pm for a brief rest before getting to venue for 5pm. Quick soundcheck - awesome sound for all 3 bands both on stage and out front, then off for a quick meal before the fun started. 

First band on at 8:30, Sixteen Again, a Buzzcocks tribute - they really got the crowd going, then we were on at 9:30. And it was amazing, crowd singing along with the songs, the reception after each song was jaw-dropping. Then Razors on for the end of the night, and as always delivered, they’re so good - and should be seeing they’ve been together since 1978!

Back to hotel for 2am, set off at 11am to airport, just got home at 5pm, rather tired. I’m so glad I managed to get to do this gig, we were asked over a year ago to do it and when I said I was having to leave it was the one gig we had that I still really wanted to do, fitting then that it was my last, I went out on a high!

74A5712B-C70D-4C11-B05E-E0CF2A928184.jpeg

Glad to see you're playing a Precision!

• Thanks 1

Last nights was fun.  The venue was packed and loud so we cranked it out solid and loud to match the mood.  It was a private do for coppers and their families so despite the booze being consumed everyone was pretty well behaved.

Only real downside for me was that Sultans of Swing was on the set list, and I just don't enjoy playing it.  One of my favourite songs, but a dull bassline to play.

A good gig has always been my favourite way of seeing the New Year in, and that's exactly what I did last night with my 3 band-mates in Silverback.  The venue was one of our fave's, Kildare Lodge in Minehead.  The landlord and landlady are good people who love our classic rock set, the money was decent, and we had a good crowd who were all up for it.  The sound was good and tight, the craic was right, and after Auld Lang Syne followed by several encores, the landlord insisted we play his favourite Whiskey In The Jar again!!  With around two-and-a-half hours of 2020 on the clock, I hit the sack a happy man thinking (not for the first and hopefully not the last time): "Money just can't buy this much fun!!" 😊

• Like 6

How can you lose on New Years Eve?

We played The Barley Pop Pub & Restaurant. This was new for us, we had played Ariba's in Butler for the past 10 years. Unfortunately new owners came in last year they didn't understand live music and brought in pool tables. They closed within 2 months.

Back to The Barley Pop. Nice looking room even nicer once our lighting was set up. We started at 4:00. The place was packed with Maple Road fans. The band sounded good, this is our 3rd public gig with our new guitarist.

We played until 7:00, I was home by 9:00. Tear down took a while as we used our full blown. sound and lights.

Blue

• Like 2

Played in a large pub near Crawley, done this one a couple of times before this year and its a bit useless as a music venue. First set 9.30 to 10.30 - a relatively indifferent reception but we played well. Second set much more like it. went on at 11 played till just before 12.00 did the countdown to 2020 and launched straight into....Sex on Fire (yes I know) but people love it, finished with Simply the Best. Got home a 2.00. 

Looking forward to the first practice with my other band on Sunday 5th - first activity with this lot since a gig in Sept - due to guitarist difficulties. 

• Like 1

Ours was a regular venue, picked up late (and for less money than usual NYE rates) because we didn't have a gig and the drummer was super-skint. Both the blokes who own/run the pub were absent (one ill, one away), leaving three young bar girls and no door staff. As a consequence, the usual late-20s-mid-40s crowd had turned into a youth club, most of the lads in puffer jackets and tracksuits, bellowing at each other...yeah, lads, I remember my first drink, too... Amongst the girls, there appeared to have been a 57-way tie for the local Dress Like A Teenage Hooker Competition, possibly inducing the aforementioned Bellowing... Amazingly, it didn't actually kick off, though we left (see below) a long time before closing, so the air of potential fisticuffs could well have been realised before then...

We played a couple of mostly unregarded sets (tho there was sporadic dancing for the second one), but finished at 11:45 to let the countdown and inevitable spillage of drinks run its course, there were some gingerly-detonated fireworks outside, during which lull we packed up and fecked off. Back home for half twelve, so not too bad, but it was one of those gigs where you're clock-watching pretty much from the start...

• Like 1

My gig was in a nice pub in Harpenden, this was our fourth New Years Eve there. Played three sets, 9.30-10.30, 10.45-11.45 and 12.15-1.00. A bit of dancing in the first set, lots of people up and dancing in the second set then in the third set it all went a bit mental ( in a good way ). All in all a fun night.  

• Like 1

On 19/12/2019 at 22:24, Richard R said:

That's what was so strange and funny,  clearly the sax player can play. My first thought was that his iems must have failed and so he couldn't hear the keyboard. But when no one stopped him...

With a band i used to dep for,  the (very good) drummer used to set up at the gig (always weddings) and play like he had never played before. Very badly and out of time. He used to do this to wind the venue or wedding planners up. I saw a lot of horror on their faces over the years,

My current band's drummer does the same.....only its not a wind up 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

With a band i used to dep for,  the (very good) drummer used to set up at the gig (always weddings) and play like he had never played before. Very badly and out of time. He used to do this to wind the venue or wedding planners up. I saw a lot of horror on their faces over the years,

My current band's drummer does the same.....only its not a wind up 😞

This reminds me... back in the days of originals bands on shared bills (especially fun at battle of the bands), we used to feign a nightmare situation over a shared kit.

Laws of the land = shared kit, bring cymbals/snare.

Our drummer turns up to the venue... "Oh, I'm left handed..."

Much groans etc. Sound guy looking peeved at the prospect of doing a kit switch around.

Me - "Oh Rich, FFS, just play it right handed. I'd like my own amp but can't bring it. Just deal with the situation. Don't be such an amateur".

Soundcheck comes... Rich (drummer) deliberately plays shite and you can see the amusement on the faces of all the other bands (especially in a battle of the bands (ugh) situation). For optimum effect, he made sure that he dropped at least one stick through the first fill.

We eventually go on stage.... Rich has more groove, tricks and pyrotechnics than a fireworks factory.

And that is how a (non lefty) drummer intimidates the hell out other drummers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I'm more used to country living these days and our local pub let the band play into early hrs of New Years Day and has done for many years. They even had a visit from local Police unit who came in asked if everything was OK and off they went.

Not sure the pubs in bigger towns and cities would get away with that as i know Glasgow are very strict on it all thru the year.

Shame when everyone is having a great time at NYE and if the band is up for it. I guess the Landlord should have applied and paid for the extended licence but was probably trying to save a few quid i bet.

Dave

Dave 

52 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Well the Landlord wouldn't let them play a third set despite all the punters wanting it...

Probably down to some miserable git who moved in next to a music venue, sleeps with the window open and then complains about the noise. 

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Probably down to some miserable git who moved in next to a music venue, sleeps with the window open and then complains about the noise. 

I remember at our most regular pub we used to have to finish at 11:30 on a saturday due to complaints from a local guy. Then one saturday we got to 11:30, we asked the woman who has the pub if we could go a few songs over (we normally did), and she said yes we could, the person who used to complain moved out, a new guy had moved in, and here he was in the crowd!

• Like 5