Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a new place in Ipswich town centre, The Mannings, with my blues rock trio.  First half was pretty quiet, second half folks were really behind us.  Couple of guys came up to us at the end and said they heard us from the other end of town and came in to listen, said some nice things.  As we were packing down a mahoosive fight broke out just outside the pub - people rolling around on the wet pavement, even on our cars!  4 police cars and 3 arrests later it was safe to stow our gear :) 

Played a Harvest Festival celebration last night with Hello Hopeville at Somerset's newest visitor attraction: https://thenewtinsomerset.com/visit-our-garden

We were in the Threshing Barn, a huge space with 100 guests sat on benches enjoying a £45 a head meal. In the centre of the room, hung from the roof was a huge grass and wheatsheaf, built in a cylindrical shape and we were at one end of the room,  just to the side of a huge wooden apple (they grow their own cider and eating apples).

Originally asked to just top and tail the evening( non intended food pun), we ended up playing a good 2.5 hours background set as a huge feast was brought out for the guests who shared loads of food, all organic and mostly grown on site.

After the desserts went out, we were invited to eat along with the staff, highlights were bar-b-qued potatoes and corn on the cob, cavallo nero, hazlenut and artichoke stir fry, and baked apples with cider custard. Carnivores were catered for with huge chunks of beef.

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 1

On 27/09/2019 at 20:36, dave_bass5 said:

Played at the Hop Poles in Enfield last weekend. First gig with new band line up. We were ok but the venue was empty. Something going on down the road apparently. As we have only played closed gigs in the past we couldn’t get a following along, but despite the emptiness and poor acoustics the bar staff said we were great and we will be back asap .

We do that one (book it via Pete W).....Who were you playing with?

2 hours ago, Mudpup said:

We do that one (book it via Pete W).....Who were you playing with?

Yeah, Pete booked us. The bands called Mix it up. It was our first gig with this line up, and first  one for exactly 12 months (first proper gig anyway).

We have had line up issues and our new guitarist is always on holiday, so its been a case of turning gigs down for the past few months. Not a good situation but that’s for another thread.
it was good play there, as I used to drink there back in the late 80’s. 

Who do you play with? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, Pete booked us. The bands called Mix it up. It was our first gig with this line up, and first  one for exactly 12 months (first proper gig anyway).

We have had line up issues and our new guitarist is always on holiday, so its been a case of turning gigs down for the past few months. Not a good situation but that’s for another thread.
it was good play there, as I used to drink there back in the late 80’s. 

Who do you play with? 

Yellowhouse - we're in there a few times each year. 

6 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Yellowhouse - we're in there a few times each year. 

Cool. Ill keep an eye out. To be honest it’s quite a trek  for me, as I don’t drive and it’s a pain to get to by public transport, but Ill try and get up there again. Hoping to get a few in next year as well. Pete said we went down well even though the place was empty. We had people dancing so must  have have done something right. 

Oh, and we met Dave, who we thought worked there at first. Nice bloke 🙂

O2 Academy 2 in Birmingham on Saturday night. We were first on. It was my first gig with my new moulded earplugs. They're so quiet! It was a bit disorientating for the first half of the set but I got used to it. We played well, even though we had a dep on bass, and we got a great reception. Ace!

• Like 1

Ok, so we look a bit bored and stiff... we were missing a guitar and the sax player, and personally I was struggling physically a lot. Not the best night to have a gig... but it was my first with my new bass so here it goes, Sea Bass Kid playing "Smokey Home", one of the tracks in our new CD (almost ready!)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Feedback from the band is we should simply turn down gigs at venues with sound limiters. Quite a radical approach. But I can see the sense in it. Anyone else gone down that road? 

I don’t mind playing with a sound limiter, as it means we play at a sensible volume, not dictated by the drummer who has hardly any self control. Some have been a bit of a struggle, the one at Braxted Park in particular, but we have rarely trigged one. 
id prefer not to have them, but I have found that playing gigs with them seems to keep the ‘can you turn it down’ brigade at bay, especially in the clubs, and stops me having to keep saying it. As long as it’s not set too low. 

I expect I’m in the minority here but I would never turn a gig down  just because of a sound meter, even though I know it’s one more thing to worry about. Sometimes worth talking to the kitchen staff and running a lead from there, as normally they aren’t on the same circuit, due to the fridges etc. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just back from a wedding gig. Our first experience of sound volume limiters at venues - talk about spawn of the devil!!

Plug in away from the main hall - kitchen cooker outlets are great, usually 15a rating...........I stopped doing gigs at places that I couldn't get round these show killers many years before I retired.

😎

7 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Plug in away from the main hall - kitchen cooker outlets are great, usually 15a rating...........I stopped doing gigs at places that I couldn't get round these show killers many years before I retired.

😎

Yeah good plan! 

Actually our guitarist looked at me quizzically when I turned up his amp towards the end of the gig when we had yet another raucous-audience induced power outage. He was last man standing - his power socket wasn't affected - and could keep playing along with the drummer whilst I was doing silent air bass 😂

Edited by Al Krow

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just back from a wedding gig. Our first experience of sound volume limiters at venues - talk about spawn of the devil!!

Yep, I have the advantage of never having played at a place where you can't plug in somewhere else to defeat the limiter. The 2 places I have played with volume limiters had they been active we wouldn't have been able to play. 

One of the places was a pub and saw a girl with an acoustic guitar and a tiny amplifier and that set it off (but the amp was battery powered and the guitar wasn't plugged in). 

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah good plan! 

Actually our guitarist looked at me quizzically when I turned up his amp towards the end of the gig when we had yet another raucous-audience induced power outage. He was last man standing - his power socket wasn't affected - and could keep playing along with the drummer whilst I was doing silent air bass 😂

Is there some reason you didn't connect to the same socket as him?

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It’s not always obvious. Ive had the same experience. One side of the stage on the breaker circuit, the other side normal. Unless you are told by the venue you can’t really tell until half the band disappear lol. 

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

It’s not always obvious. Ive had the same experience. One side of the stage on the breaker circuit, the other side normal. Unless you are told by the venue you can’t really tell until half the band disappear lol. 

+1^^ to what Dave just said.

Didn't put 2+2 together until near the end of the gig - we were too busy trying to avoid the red light & cut off before then.

In my defence I was the only band member who spotted this "loophole" - the guitarist was oblivious to the fact, perhaps cos he was already turned down a LOT (treble frequencies seeming to be more sensitive) so probably couldn't hear himself anyway 😁

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

The time when we first went to a venue with one, we triggered it with the opening chord, so we stopped and the bar staff told us to plug into the extension that was there.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Didn't put 2+2 together until near the end of the gig - we were too busy trying to avoid the red light & cut off before then.

Fair enough - well, I saw your video, you are probably capable of a lot quieter than us, its just not an option for our group. 

We would turn down a place that didn't have a defeatable volume limiter, it wouldn't be in our or the venues interest.