Left leaderboard
bassninja

How was your gig last night?

Friday night at The Underground in Hanley, local for me. We were supporting Spear Of Destiny who were apparently a big deal in the 80s? We've played with them a few times, and they're pretty good

We got a very basic line check and for the first couple of songs it sounded like nothing was coming out of the PA from FOH. There was a big cheer when the sound man sorted it out. No idea what went on there but it put me in a sh*t mood. I played OK but too hard so my hands were knackered when we finished, and still are now. We went down well, sold a bunch of merch, got paid extra by the promoter for selling the most tickets (it was sold out) so all good

Saturday night we played a private party, someone's 50th. It's not something we've done before, and I wasn't looking forward to it to be honest. A couple of songs in, feeling a bit grumpy, I looked at the set list and realised I'd got another 17 songs to play yet, so I'd better cheer up. I finished my beer and opened the 2nd, and from then on I had a great night! :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Friday night at The Underground in Hanley, local for me. We were supporting Spear Of Destiny who were apparently a big deal in the 80s? We've played with them a few times, and they're pretty good

We got a very basic line check and for the first couple of songs it sounded like nothing was coming out of the PA from FOH. There was a big cheer when the sound man sorted it out. No idea what went on there but it put me in a sh*t mood. I played OK but too hard so my hands were knackered when we finished, and still are now. We went down well, sold a bunch of merch, got paid extra by the promoter for selling the most tickets (it was sold out) so all good

They were having all sorts of problems the other night - a processor had gone bad which is why the top-packs weren't working correctly. Joe was having a nightmare. They managed to borrow another by the time I mixed SOD but it was a tough evening.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VTypeV4 said:

They were having all sorts of problems the other night - a processor had gone bad which is why the top-packs weren't working correctly. Joe was having a nightmare. They managed to borrow another by the time I mixed SOD but it was a tough evening.

Yeh he mentioned some problem with the gear but I know F all about PAs. Why do speakers need processors? It's all beyond me! :) Good to see you anyway mate 

Edited by cheddatom

Last Friday at Fuelers Bar at Santa Pod Raceway for the European Finals. Fantastic night yet bittersweet as it was the last time that we'll play there. Great crowd as always. Only one more gig for us now before we call it a day.

pod.thumb.jpg.dcec650fdedc9cff054f9cca88970a11.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

Yeh he mentioned some problem with the gear but I know F all about PAs. Why do speakers need processors? It's all beyond me! :) Good to see you anyway mate 

A pleasure as always man. :drinks:

• Like 1

We bagged a mid-table main stage slot at what has turned out to be the final Macmillan Fest in Nottingham on Sat. It's been running for 10 years and if you play original rock or post-rock music in Notts, it's been the one to aim for. Six stages, 12 hours of music. It was a pressure gig, because not only were we aware that we were being given a shot (i.e. a better billing than we'd earned), but it was our first live outing in 4 months, following our singer's having a baby. I don't think we could have got it any better in tehe practice room without playing out for a while before this gig. The Rescue Rooms is a bigger stage than we're used to but I think we adapted pretty fast. A few lessons learned - drums are quieter on a big stage and on a riser for starters - and I did have to go walkabout at one point  to compensate for a particularly inaudible picked clean guitar intro (lousy monitor mix). And bang it was over. Appreciative crowd. We held the audience ( and they had 5 other stages to check out) and got a lot of positive feedback. Another band who'd seen us before commented that they hadn't 'got it' previously, but in a much bigger room, the huge reverb soaked sound and classical singing suddenly made sense. Did some press (a first for me - but I missed Eyre Llew's set). Had a nice Japanese meal, caught Nordic Giants in all their costumed splendour and was still in bed before 11.

Pro shot of me doing the volume pedal / delay thing in the intro

.MMF_JT.thumb.jpg.aafbd6efcb862c2ca54658b7327721ba.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, radiophonic said:

MMF_JT.thumb.jpg.aafbd6efcb862c2ca54658b7327721ba.jpg

Sounds like a cool gig. Well done.

....you are Ed Friedland ( Bass whisperer) and I claim my £5.

51 minutes ago, Stofferson said:

@radiophonic Was an awesome gig man! you guys sounded great.

Here's our rock pose! got a few vids of our set too

69804285_1109920539208356_6599823850010050560_o.jpg

Cheers dude - and thanks for the use of the cab! It was very loud indeed. I clearly need to work on my power stance though....

36 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

Cheers dude - and thanks for the use of the cab! It was very loud indeed. I clearly need to work on my power stance though....

Anytime dude! watched you from above and the side, was cool man!

We played a street festival today. It was our acoustic act. Not a great crowd, but you know what, Our stage looked great, we looked great, the weather was fantatic 75° sunny clear skys with a nice breeze off the lake. We had a blast playing and singing we were really tight today.

So much fun.

We have another outdoor event tomorrow 4:00 -7:00.

Blue

• Like 4

Just got back from my shortest-notice-ever gig: FB message arrived 8.38pm, started the first set 9.30pm, so 52 minutes!

It was a blues gig with a pickup band for a singer/harmonica player. The call came from the guitar/keyboard player (who I knew mainly from open mic nights), the scheduled bassist having fallen ill minutes beforehand, and the drummer being 3rd in line after the other tub-thumpers dropped like flies from the lurgy. Fortunately guitar/keys had the set list well beforehand so knew how the tunes went, and the drummer had done the gig before (albeit a couple of years previously).

Obviously it wasn't as polished as it might have been with a rehearsal or 3, but singer/harpist was happy and the pub crowd loved it, plus I got paid, so that's win-win-win!

70950952_10156976571109753_7486972434743

Edited by JapanAxe
Photo!
  • Like 2

Just back from a Grateful Dudes gig in Cockfosters. Difficult acoustics, but the soundman had it sorted by half way through the first set. Audience all up and dancing around - they're a lovely bunch, the Deadheads!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 2

My gig last night was for a 50th birthday party in a pub that we've played at before. Given that there had been a specific request for an 80s band, we were all expecting a fantastic night with an eager audience dancing all night and cheering between songs. Well, we were quite disappointed. There was some dancing, it's true, and lots of faces turned towards us, but at the end of each song we were met with silence, maybe one or two people clapping at best. Very strange. Anyway, we got on with it, and looked forward to the end of the night. On nights where the crowd go wild, it's easy to feel confident, but when they're more subdued, you need to try not to let that convince you that you sucked.

This morning I've ordered a new transmitter for my wireless system. One of the switches in my current one is getting a bit dodgy, and it's causing me issues during mid-set instrument swaps.

Due to calendar clashes and illness, we've been having great difficulty getting together for a rehearsal lately - the last one was on 10th July! We've got one booked for Tuesday, so fingers crossed that that works out. There are a few things that we really need to polish up since we brought our new keyboard player on board.

S.P.

• Like 1

Played a charity fest in Baldock - Balstock - Al Town venues open up and the whole town was heaving. Great gig in the town hall, venue at capacity and we played pretty well..... Only gripe was the side infill lighting didn't half blind me.... Just about managed to find the notes though!.... Just... 

Didnt go too bad in the end considering weve had no musical interaction for 5 weeks. Stuck to same set as last gig, mainly I think because the singer just couldnt be arsed to sort an alternative. One of guitards needed to be away to catch a 4am flight so we started at 9 and finished at 11 with a short break in middle. Crowd seemed responsive and some nice positive feedback. A young lad turned up whos interested in the drumming spot when our current one hangs up his sticks (back trouble and sciatica are making it too painful for him to carry on) and brought his dad (bless!) who turned out to be a bass player and he liked the sound of my rig, which was nice. Only downside for me was due to me not playing a note for weeks I got cramp/paralysis in my index and middle finger of fretting hand a few songs into set 2. Had to improvise next 3 or 4 using only ring finger and pinkie. I just got a bit of movement back for the set closer (war pigs) which was just as well. Need to make myself practice more just to build up the muscles again.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, kusee pee said:

20190914_200741.jpg

That looks like it might have been acoustically "interesting". What was it like?

S.P.

• Like 2

I'm also quite curious about how it sounded. 

Fantastic looking venue to be playing. Nice one.

Dave 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2019 at 09:49, Stylon Pilson said:

My gig last night was for a 50th birthday party in a pub that we've played at before. Given that there had been a specific request for an 80s band, we were all expecting a fantastic night with an eager audience dancing all night and cheering between songs. Well, we were quite disappointed. There was some dancing, it's true, and lots of faces turned towards us, but at the end of each song we were met with silence, maybe one or two people clapping at best. Very strange. Anyway, we got on with it, and looked forward to the end of the night. On nights where the crowd go wild, it's easy to feel confident, but when they're more subdued, you need to try not to let that convince you that you sucked.

I feel your pain.  I've played a couple where the band have been asked to play because the birthday boy loves that kind of music...and it turns out that he's the only one

1 hour ago, Stylon Pilson said:

That looks like it might have been acoustically "interesting". What was it like?

S.P.

Actually, it was really good.  We had the PA up outside the tunnel entrance and the tunnel had lots of openings out to the side so there wasn't too much bouncing.  We could also put the drums quite far back so our onstage sound was nice.  We put everything through the PA so it was controlled.  I recommend gigging there if you ever get the chance

• Like 1

Hasting Seafood and Wine Festival yesterday afternoon. Nice staging, amazing weather, lots of punters, 30 mins to setup (including a full drumkit swap) went rather well actually.

All going swimmingly until shortly into the second track when all signal stopped coming out of the pedalboard. It still had power, just stopped producing signal for the lovely amp to turn into noise. Bit of a head spinner, hit the mute switch on the amp, bypass the fx in the hope that will make noise happen again and joy of joys out comes the noise. Got to say this is the first gig with the EA iAmp Classic, what a ridiculously great sounding amp, and so much oomph, running on about 50% output it was just huge tone. Very hot in the marquee and this amp has no fan, the chassis got warm to the touch, not quite hot, other than that it was fine. Having said all that to make this amp last as long as possible I might invest in a small desk fan to keep airflow over it.

Honestly though the FX issue  threw me for a couple of tracks, moving out of the headspace of playing into the "fix this issue really fast, like right now" headspace really breaks me out of my stride. Still the band were flying, super professional turnarounds, crowd seemed to like it, nice to be on a decent stage, got back into it soon enough. Had a blast all in all :D

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

I feel your pain.  I've played a couple where the band have been asked to play because the birthday boy loves that kind of music...and it turns out that he's the only one

We were booked the other week by a chap in his 40s who'd been bouncing around Mulligan's Irish Pub in the city centre with his pals, chucking Guinness all over. When we got there. the gig turned out to be for his Mum and Dad's 50th wedding. It was in a room in the posh Lowry Hotel; there were 27 people there, of whom him and his wife were the youngest by some 30 years. It was all very pleasant, we were the quietest we'd ever been, but it was a bit like playing for your Nan...needless to say, we adjusted the setlist. One of those days where a flexible potential setlist from a lot of different genres comes in handy... 😕

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

We were booked the other week by a chap in his 40s who'd been bouncing around Mulligan's Irish Pub in the city centre with his pals, chucking Guinness all over. When we got there. the gig turned out to be for his Mum and Dad's 50th wedding. It was in a room in the posh Lowry Hotel; there were 27 people there, of whom him and his wife were the youngest by some 30 years. It was all very pleasant, we were the quietest we'd ever been, but it was a bit like playing for your Nan...needless to say, we adjusted the setlist. One of those days where a flexible potential setlist from a lot of different genres comes in handy... 😕

You never know when 'Come into the garden, Maude' and 'Mad Dogs and Englishmen' will come in handy.

25 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You never know when 'Come into the garden, Maude' and 'Mad Dogs and Englishmen' will come in handy.

You're verging dangerously close to Skanks territory..........

😎

• Haha 1