Jump to content
Left leaderboard
bassninja

How was your gig last night?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Hey Blue. So glad to see you coming out of the doldrums. 

Thanks Stew Black,

I wish this stuff was happening for me at age 26 instead of 66.

The bookings are great ,however were struggling with scheduling rehearsals and ultimately replacing a founding member . He played guitar ( rhythm & lead) vocals, harp and he did most of the bookings.

Stew, I feel great about the gigs, however as a band we're not out of the woods yet.

I have some more of this story I can fill you guys in on later. Big band drama which is not normal for us.

 

Blue

FB_IMG_1555774397080.jpg

Edited by Bluewine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I had another acoustic gig Thursday night at the BlondiPop. Good crowd and nice venue.

A guy complained that he couldn't hear the lead vocals or bass that well. Do you guys ever check how your levels are in the house?

GREAT NEWS!

My band has a great Summerfest 

( world's largest music festival) slot this year.

 7/3 at 5:00pm on the ULine Rock Stage. 80s hit nakers Lover Boy are the headliner.

Another festival on 7/13 we're opening for The Charlie Daniels Band ( " The Devil Went Down To Georgia")

A few other festivals have come through too 

Guys, I feel so much better 

Blue

Great to hear its beginning to work out again for you Blue - it just takes a few positive things to turn it around when everything drops off and it happens to all of us at some point. Stick with it buddy.....

Re levels - yes we always do a 5 minute soundcheck with me stood out front for a listen. Check the kick sound, quick spin round all the drums with the bass, check both vocal levels in monitors then add in the mains, mix the 2 guitars in and then just a spin through the verse and chorus of Rosalie to check the lot. We never change it so it stays a consistent reference point. Literally takes 5 minutes and everyone knows exactly what to do.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

We never change it so it stays a consistent reference point. Literally takes 5 minutes and everyone knows exactly what to do.

God I dream of that! No matter how good my fellow musicians are I seem to end up with the biggest amateurs come sound check time 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a good gig with Musical Youth at Pizza Express live in Maidstone last night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, Friday night in a pub in Swindon. Don't know what possessed me but I decided to go for two 15" Trace Cabs and my 500 watt Trace head, Ric copy I just bought straight in no effects. 

The bass needed a set up, the room had a boom to it I wrestled with all night and the crowd was whizzed and indifferent. But I had fun. 

Last night, Sunday, early start in one of my local boozers. Originals band with couple of Pogues covers thrown in. Oh and a stomping version of Country Roads which went down a storm. Ampeg, 2 Barefaced 15", Bruce Thomas Profile. Stunning sound. Bass Nirvana. 

IMG_20190505_192457.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I had another acoustic gig Thursday night at the BlondiPop. Good crowd and nice venue.

A guy complained that he couldn't hear the lead vocals or bass that well. Do you guys ever check how your levels are in the house?

GREAT NEWS!

My band has a great Summerfest 

( world's largest music festival) slot this year.

 7/3 at 5:00pm on the ULine Rock Stage. 80s hit nakers Lover Boy are the headliner.

Another festival on 7/13 we're opening for The Charlie Daniels Band ( " The Devil Went Down To Georgia")

A few other festivals have come through too 

Guys, I feel so much better 

Blue

Great news Blue. One door slowly closes as another slowly opens. 

Loverboy were a great band in 80's and Charlie Daniels band will be a good gig too.

With regards checking sound in the house (i'm assuming you mean gigs) Yes every time. Levels and tone. Even with full PA and engineer supplied i would always get out front and have a wee listen to make sure all sounds good altho you can usually get a good idea from front of stage how the band sounds. Long lead or i now have wireless so that helps.

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Stew Black,

I wish this stuff was happening for me at age 26 instead of 66.

The bookings are great ,however were struggling with scheduling rehearsals and ultimately replacing a founding member . He played guitar ( rhythm & lead) vocals, harp and he did most of the bookings.

Stew, I feel great about the gigs, however as a band we're not out of the woods yet.

I have some more of this story I can fill you guys in on later. Big band drama which is not normal for us.

 

Blue

FB_IMG_1555774397080.jpg

A good gigging band will replace musicians a lot easier than a start up band. 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

With regards checking sound in the house (i'm assuming you mean gigs) Yes every time. Levels and tone. Even with full PA and engineer supplied i would always get out front and have a wee listen to make sure all sounds good altho you can usually get a good idea from front of stage how the band sounds. Long lead or i now have wireless so that helps.

Dave

 

My thinking is that we spend hours travelling, setting up and tearing down so 5 or 10 minutes making sure no-one comes up after the gig and says they couldn't hear the vox or the guitar was too quiet is time very well spent. We have a no widdling policy and are very conscious the punters are probably trying to have a chat and a drink before the band starts so we try to have minimal disruption for them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Great news Blue. One door slowly closes as another slowly opens. 

Loverboy were a great band in 80's and Charlie Daniels band will be a good gig too.

With regards checking sound in the house (i'm assuming you mean gigs) Yes every time. Levels and tone. Even with full PA and engineer supplied i would always get out front and have a wee listen to make sure all sounds good altho you can usually get a good idea from front of stage how the band sounds. Long lead or i now have wireless so that helps.

Dave

 

Hi Dave,

 

Thanks, and I'm always wireless so I'll be checking my sound in the house from now on.

Blue

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

A good gigging band will replace musicians a lot easier than a start up band. 

Dave

Agreed,  a start up band usually doesn't have a lot to offer those of us looking for money.

I've seen ads for start up that clearly state;

"If your looking for money, this ain't it"

Blue

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too true Blue. I formed a band nearly two years ago and we have racked up precisely two gigs. I joined a band a couple of months ago and gig every weekend with them. The first band holds the promise of riches the second actually brings in money. Not a lot but I can't spend promises.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Too true Blue. I formed a band nearly two years ago and we have racked up precisely two gigs. I joined a band a couple of months ago and gig every weekend with them. The first band holds the promise of riches the second actually brings in money. Not a lot but I can't spend promises.

Having a gig in the diary does focus the mind!

This came up in conversation at the Bass chat; there are bands that never get past rehearsal. In contrast for the 'weekend warrior' event I'm doing we have to perform 5-8 songs. We have 9 and have dropped a few - and only done four rehearsals.

  We are all old enough and ugly enough to know you learn songs at home and use rehearsal to practice playing them together!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

  We are all old enough and ugly enough to know you learn songs at home and use rehearsal to practice playing them together!

100% my thoughts exactly.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, stewblack said:

Too true Blue. I formed a band nearly two years ago and we have racked up precisely two gigs. I joined a band a couple of months ago and gig every weekend with them. The first band holds the promise of riches the second actually brings in money. Not a lot but I can't spend promises.

At 66 years old there's never going to be any riches for me. I settle for consistent weekly cash.

Blue

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I'm knocking on the door of 60 too Blue. No illusions about earning a fortune but I am doing the thing I love. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Yep, I'm knocking on the door of 60 too Blue. No illusions about earning a fortune but I am doing the thing I love. 

Me too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Yep, I'm knocking on the door of 60 too Blue. No illusions about earning a fortune but I am doing the thing I love. 

Ditto.

Some gigs I do for love and enjoyment - some I look at as a paid practice.  The money goes in a pot towards something desirable, that thought helps at the grimmer gigs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had an interesting lesson in band finances a couple of weeks ago.  I'm doing a charity gig next weekend with a covers band I've notionally been in for a couple of years, but we've never actually played (or until two weeks ago, rehearsed) because the rest of the band are in a signed, name band, and we've never had the opportunity to arrange any actual gigs (though I depped with them for a couple of gigs last year when they were between bass players).

The name band are very well known in a specific genre, regularly do (smallish) UK tours at not bad sized club venues, play festivals across the world, sell a ton of merch, and never go out for less than £1k a show...but once they've paid for vans, flights, hotels, and given money to the crew and the non-core band members, there isn't much left over for the core band members (the lot that I'll be playing with).  So despite generating a decent amount of cash, it's very far from being a living, and while expenses are covered, it's barely a paid hobby - the core members paid themselves for the first time in about three or four years a few weeks ago, and it wasn't a huge amount of money considering all the band activity in that time (though they did then take me out drinking with the balance of the band bank account as I'd done the dep shows for free). And as men of a certain age with assorted family and job responsibilities, they can't really step the band up to the next level because they can't commit to weeks or months on the road, and at the level they currently occupy they aren't going to be offered many more gigs than they currently play.

So they are all very keen to finally get this covers band up and running as they see it being far more lucrative - we can play as frequently as we want, expenses will be low, and it doesn't need three rehearsals a week.  The other band will always be their first love, but they fancy actually taking money home with them after playing a gig for a change

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It was a belter. Nottingham Metal to the Masses Semi Final. We aren't a metal band - more an atmospheric art-rock with classical singing type of deal - so we weren't really feeling any pressure, despite the music being tricky to pull off live due to all the twists and turns and dynamic shifts. Our singer is due to give birth tomorrow(!), so it was definitely a case of 'above and beyond' but what with the impending hiatus, the previous gig being a total car crash for reasons beyond our control, some higher profile shows coming at the end of the year and the venue (The Maze in Nottingham) about to close, we really wanted it to be a good one and somehow everything just clicked. We've regularly been given horrible live sound at the Maze, thanks to 'that' sound engineer, but it was a different guy last night (Phil, who often does sound at the Salutation) and everything sounded great on stage and off. Very loud but super clear. I borrowed a couple of 1x15 Yamaha cabs and really loved my sound and felt much more in control than usual. I even managed a couple of big jumps. Decent and enthusiastic crowd, lots of Friday night drinking and hanging out going on only added to the good vibes. Three total strangers complimented my playing (I assume they were bass players, because ...er who else would notice the bass playing?). Unexpected but a nice detail, plus everyone who had seen us before agreed it was the best they'd seen us. I feel really beaten up today mind.

Edited by radiophonic
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a pretty good gig last night. We have a very lopsided calendar this year, with busy months and quiet months, so last night was our first gig since the end of March. It was also our first gig with our new keyboard player! For the last 6 months or so we've been playing as a three-piece, which has necessitated some compromises and changes to the set list, so last night was a return to how it's supposed to be.

I made a few flubs here and there but given that there were about a dozen songs that I'd never played at a gig before, I'm not going to beat myself up about it. The crowd called out for more, and that's the key thing.

S.P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played a nice set at Abingdon Jazz Festival yesterday evening. Here is  pic of the get in. With a double bass.

00D3414D-9AF1-4F30-9DB7-9A0DE5432C0F.thumb.jpeg.354246712c23f24055e1a9e10d9adb87.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2019 at 00:51, Bluewine said:

I had another acoustic gig Thursday night at the BlondiPop. Good crowd and nice venue.

A guy complained that he couldn't hear the lead vocals or bass that well. Do you guys ever check how your levels are in the house?

GREAT NEWS!

My band has a great Summerfest 

( world's largest music festival) slot this year.

 7/3 at 5:00pm on the ULine Rock Stage. 80s hit nakers Lover Boy are the headliner.

Another festival on 7/13 we're opening for The Charlie Daniels Band ( " The Devil Went Down To Georgia")

A few other festivals have come through too 

Guys, I feel so much better 

Blue

Great news Blue. All happening again for you. Nice one. 

Regarding stage / house levels, yes, our guitarist uses wireless so always sound checks on stage, then front of house and always does another check out front a couple of numbers into the first set when there's a few bodies in the audience.

Have a great summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I played another acoustic gig with our BL at the Harley Motor Bar & Restaurant Saturday night 5:30- 8:30.

Great load in, great looking place. The staff is always organized and professional. They know how to treat the help. Upscale clientele.

I was happy with my playing and the overall sound of the band. At least from what I heard on stage. I have no idea how the sound was in the house.

Blue

FB_IMG_1557717822720.jpg

FB_IMG_1557728769146.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I played another acoustic gig with our BL at the Harley Motor Bar & Restaurant Saturday night 5:30- 8:30.

Great load in, great looking place. The staff is always organized and professional. They know how to treat the help. Upscale clientele.

I was happy with my playing and the overall sound of the band. At least from what I heard on stage. I have no idea how the sound was in the house.

Blue

FB_IMG_1557717822720.jpg

FB_IMG_1557728769146.jpg

My dream gig Blue. Harley Davidson and playing bass all in one venue. Heaven on earth :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

My dream gig Blue. Harley Davidson and playing bass all in one venue. Heaven on earth :lol:

My old band played at the party to celebrate the Sportster's birthday at Gaydon Motor Museum a couple of years ago, organised by the HDRCGB and one of the magazines. Good crowd, fun gig.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...