Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Last night was actually our first gig of the year, and was at one of those community centres where you still have 7 year old kids running around at half past eleven while I'm already starting to look forward to my bed. We played pretty well and the size of the crowd was decent, but they weren't really "into it" and mostly just lingered around the back of the room. I suppose sometimes you just get nights like that, though I still find myself examining ourselves to see if there's anything I think that we should be doing differently.

The venue are eager to have us back but they're currently unsure whether they're going to be able to stay open - I think they're just not getting enough customers, and their future is in jeopardy.

I've also been experimenting with trying to get some decent video footage - following on from my thread the other week, I bought a tripod stand for my mobile phone with flexible legs, so I could wrap it around the PA stand on my side. The angle's not really ideal though - the drummer's mainly blocked by my body, the singer's mainly blocked by my mic stand, and the view of me is slightly from behind so you can't see what my hands are doing. It might work as one of many perspectives combined in a video, but it doesn't stand alone very well.

S.P.

8 hours ago, leschirons said:

Great pic. Was that The 100 club gig?

In my dreams! I'd love to be good enough... 

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Not many of us could produce a pic this cool.

Check Andy's website. Lots of excellent live music pics. This is very much his style, lots of black and white and odd angles. 

Another wonderful Sunday afternoon/early evening gig with my throw it together see what happens jam band.

New venue and they loved it, landlord begged for another set so we busked out another half an hour. The whole place singing back at us.

Lovely stuff.

• Like 2

Saturday night was a small festival in Derbyshire, probably 250 people crammed into a hall, I got to use my own kit for once and it sounded awesome. I have my new hi-hats and it was the first gig for them. A new piece of gear can really inspire you sometimes. Everyone was singing along and dancing and it was a brilliant gig all round

Sunday night was at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham as part of Beat The Streets festival. We played it last year and it was packed with loads of young people out for a fully day of music and drinking. This year was much the same so a great atmosphere, great venue, sound, beer etc, couldn't have been better!

• Like 1

Played a pub gig at a regular spot last night.  They demanded an extra song after the encore so we chanced our arm on "Walk Like an Egyptian", which we had not played live before and only got right for the first time at our last practice about three weeks ago.  It was probably the best number we did and there were a couple of people stood on top of the bar doing the dance for it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Unknown_User said:

Played a pub gig at a regular spot last night.  They demanded an extra song after the encore so we chanced our arm on "Walk Like an Egyptian", which we had not played live before and only got right for the first time at our last practice about three weeks ago.  It was probably the best number we did and there were a couple of people stood on top of the bar doing the dance for it!

Haha, coincidentally enough, Saturday night was my band's first time playing Walk Like An Egyptian too! We didn't get anyone stood on the bar though. I'm seething with jealousy.

S.P.

Last night was in Scarborough with our acoustic duo. Lovely venue called The Watermark, a café/bar situated on the north bay end of Marine Drive. Despite dreadful weather the place was full, everybody dining when we arrived to set up. Just took my bass and Sansamp, straight into their PA. Bit worried at first as our monitoring was some Alto compact speakers with a few tiny drivers, but after taking a while to get accustomed it worked fine. The gig went really well, plenty of requests from the audience and lots of nice comments afterwards. One of those rare venues where everything was spot on, really well run by the organiser Bob (also a bassist!) and so unusual these days. Even a free beer for the band too, c/o sponsors Wold Top Brewery. Finished a bit early due to the weather / rough sea - the coastguard was amazed there were people at the venue when he came in to advise us the safest way to leave! I nearly got caught by monster waves crashing over the road when I was putting our stuff in my car, bit scary but wonderful at the same time. All in all a great gig, and one of those places that deserves to be supported and do well.

Watermark, Scarborough 27th Jan 2019.JPG

Rather wonderful, actually. I began playing the nyckelharpa in 2015, and started attending a regular Scandinavian music session held in a room over a pub. Over the xmas period, we temporarily relocated to a room above a different pub, as our usual venue was booked up with parties. The lovely people at this second pub (which also regularly hosts gigs) then asked our session organizer to put on a monthly evening of Scandi music in the main bar for the regular punters, with a smaller group of players than regularly attend the session (which can get quite large and a bit ramshackle at times, with maybe 15-20 people of all levels of ability). Last night was the first one. I expressed an interest, and to my surprise (most of the session people are way better than me) I was invited along to play. I switched between playing nyckelharpa and percussion, as my repertoire on the harpa is fairly limited, and unlike the other players, I'm not up to sight-reading the tunes. The pub cleared a table for us in a corner of the bar, and we sat around it and played for over 2 hours. The other performers (there were eight of us altogether) are all really good, and also lovely people. Being a part of that performance, playing music I cared about with musicians I like, respect and admire, was a joyous thing indeed. The audience was small, but appreciative, and I went home through the snow with a feeling of great satisfaction.  

Edited by Earbrass
  • Like 5

Our first Real Gig - as in, advertised on Facebook, and we had to set up for ourselves and got to do a soundcheck! (As opposed to om slots where we just had to walk up and plug in to the house band's rig.) Preparation a bit fraught, as the duo who were supposed to open for us had split up a few days before over the attitude of one of them to the venue organiser, so we had to make a well-rehearsed one-hour setlist last for two hours. It went well though. 

The Old Abbey Taphouse in south Mcr is a tiny place and most of the space is given to the band, so 15-20 people were a crowd! We don't have our own full rig yet, so the mics went through the house PA, and keys, two guitars, and bass each through our own amp. The drums were the drums... Despite that, the sound quality and balance were pretty good. First time I've taken my little Markbass 500 combo out to a proper venue, and it held its own really well in the mix 🙂 

We were all nervous before, but as soon as we started playing we just remembered how much we love playing together, and it really flew. The "crowd" were obviously really into it too, and we've been asked back. Venue looked after us really well, an excellent night and looking forward to more to come. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, josie said:

Our first Real Gig - as in, advertised on Facebook, and we had to set up for ourselves and got to do a soundcheck! (As opposed to om slots where we just had to walk up and plug in to the house band's rig.) Preparation a bit fraught, as the duo who were supposed to open for us had split up a few days before over the attitude of one of them to the venue organiser, so we had to make a well-rehearsed one-hour setlist last for two hours. It went well though. 

The Old Abbey Taphouse in south Mcr is a tiny place and most of the space is given to the band, so 15-20 people were a crowd! We don't have our own full rig yet, so the mics went through the house PA, and keys, two guitars, and bass each through our own amp. The drums were the drums... Despite that, the sound quality and balance were pretty good. First time I've taken my little Markbass 500 combo out to a proper venue, and it held its own really well in the mix 🙂 

We were all nervous before, but as soon as we started playing we just remembered how much we love playing together, and it really flew. The "crowd" were obviously really into it too, and we've been asked back. Venue looked after us really well, an excellent night and looking forward to more to come. 

That sounds like the perfect description of why we play music in the first place! Glad you had a good night.

• Thanks 1

We were at The Hexagon in Reading last night, and more than a bit worried about the drive down from Yorkshire. Couldn’t believe the amount of people driving on the M1 in driving snow without lights on! Anyway, one or two hairy moments, but managed it okay. Good gig, and we drove home afterwards, getting in at 3am. The bad weather meant the roads were fairly empty on the way home so all in all think we were very fortunate.

On 28/01/2019 at 04:18, casapete said:

Last night was in Scarborough with our acoustic duo. Lovely venue called The Watermark, a café/bar situated on the north bay end of Marine Drive. Despite dreadful weather the place was full, everybody dining when we arrived to set up. Just took my bass and Sansamp, straight into their PA. Bit worried at first as our monitoring was some Alto compact speakers with a few tiny drivers, but after taking a while to get accustomed it worked fine. The gig went really well, plenty of requests from the audience and lots of nice comments afterwards. One of those rare venues where everything was spot on, really well run by the organiser Bob (also a bassist!) and so unusual these days. Even a free beer for the band too, c/o sponsors Wold Top Brewery. Finished a bit early due to the weather / rough sea - the coastguard was amazed there were people at the venue when he came in to advise us the safest way to leave! I nearly got caught by monster waves crashing over the road when I was putting our stuff in my car, bit scary but wonderful at the same time. All in all a great gig, and one of those places that deserves to be supported and do well.

Watermark, Scarborough 27th Jan 2019.JPG

You guys are frightening me with so many posts that mention dreadful weather.

It can t be dreadful all the time.

Blue

I played West Street Live in Sheffield on Sunday thanks to our own @Johnny Wishbone

It was a rare outing for my heavy band CreepJoint but hopefully we'll start to play more. In terms of the music we play it's definitely my favourite band that I play in. We seemed to go down well and it was tight, but that 30 minutes just flew by! I can't wait for the next one

• Like 1