Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, KevB said:

Very little Pete, though it wasn't one of my regular haunts back then and my cousin worked behind the bar there for a while. I sometimes call in when I'm up visiting family as its one of the very few pubs in town still doing live music, the other main one is the Station tavern near tescos. If you are ever in Cleck with the rock band I'd def try to call in.

Hi Kevin, I know the Cleckhuddersfax area a bit - lived in Brighouse for a while and went out with a girl who was living in Cleck when I first met her, although I lived most of the time over the other side of Bradford. I've never really thought of Cleckheaton as being a big town for live music, although I have played there once or twice. 

The Dastardlys played Teignmouth Scooter Rally last night. Really nice set up with a decent sized stage. We had to be there at half six to set up and soundcheck before they opened the doors, then start playing at half ten so a bit of hanging around but there was DJ's playing vinyl so all was good. The DJ's warmed the crowd up nicely and they were dancing from the start of our set, and the not long into the set the floor was packed. The usual dance floor chaos ensued when we moved into our Ska set but it's all par for the course at these events. 

Only got a live picture of when we started but hopefully some from later in the set will surface. 

_20180414_141329.JPG

FB_IMG_1523700845776.jpg

FB_IMG_1523700839050.jpg

We played a pub not too far away , took a few followers and friends and it all went very well , got some great compliments from the locals and got invited back . 

A touch surreal on the last tune , one of the 'ladies' who were quite enthusiastic in their dancing , decided the band were worth a blimp of her breasts , I was in bulk but  singer and lead guitar were like rabbits in the head lights xD

NOT GOOD

First of all, an hour commute one way, not my thing.

The weather was crap, April 13th, 33° windy with freezing rain. Normally we have warm weather, like 75° this time of year.

Upscale bar restaurant, used to be a  Harley Davidson dealership converted.

The room is nice but set up donkey backwards. 3 different cieling levels, tile floor and an unmanned bar way in the back of the room. Punters had to wait for the waitress.

Stage sound was all over the place.

Not really our type of crowd.

2nd time playing this place, first time was no better.

Sure, there were people dancing and we got lots of compliments. However, I know what a crap gig is.

It was a crap gig IMO. I'm not going to sugar coat it.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Just back in from a local gig, only a 20 min drive for me, makes up for last week's 110 mile round trip and the week before's 420 miles. Pub was packed, good crowd, played from half nine until midnight with a 10 min break, they want us back and had enquiries about playing some biker rallies - on of the biker's there turned to be someone I knew from my days at bike rallies (as a biker, not as a muso).

Only thing that marred the evening was another eruption of a long simmering row between our guitarist and drummer, which didn't seem to affect the music but whizzed three of us in the band off. The fourth member didn't notice! Any more incidents like that and this band has had it, I think. Guitarist and I are already plying is together with another band, so it won't need to be a big step, but we've all been together a few years now.

• Like 1

Another cracking gig at one our regular haunts: a nice venue with a two level stage, decent backdrop, plenty of power and we always get a good sound here. For the second gig in a row, I left my Tech21 VTDI on pretty much all the time and played with a pick even more (I’ve been inspired by Bobby Vega recently); monster tone that had both the drummer and guitarist commenting on how good it was. Usual local audience apathy during the first set until the last two numbers and then up for it during second set (we swap the songs around from set to set, so it’s not the choice of music). We also had some photos and video shot by someone we know and we’re looking forward to seeing the results. Best of all, we packed up quickly and the M25 wasn’t closed for my journey (improvement works are the bane of my gigging life), so home pretty sharpish for a change.

Edited by ezbass

BAD. But we got paid. We were invited to play a folk club. These kind of gigs can go either way if you play non traditional but folk based material. Some audiences are boozy and enthusiastic and others are dead from the neck up and consider electricity to be the devils work. I wouldn't mind if they were actual folk purists - at least there would be some logic to it - but invariably they just want to hear singer-songwriter material from the early 70s played insipidly on an acoustic guitar.   Unfortunately, this was closer to the latter, especially the guy that ran the night, who told us we were too loud (before he'd heard us); had  'too much PA' (he meant backline, we didn't have a PA - which gives you an idea how loud we were) for 'their room' (which we've played in many times before and used to use a practice room). We were also taking up too much space. I offered to go home and leave him to it. We did play, but the whole thing was so compromised sonically that it wasn't worth the effort. A sizeable part of the audience were specifically there to see us, based on previous gigs and word of mouth and all this guy's constraints served to do was to make us sound bad and annoy the hell out of us. 

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

xjmd97M.gif

Likewise.

10 minutes ago, peteb said:

The same for many a gigging musician!

My main problem is that I don’t have traffic updates on my satnav and sometimes I forget to check on the phone  before heading home, ergo - my fault :facepalm:

20 hours ago, Bluewine said:

NOT GOOD

First of all, an hour commute one way, not my thing.

The weather was crap, April 13th, 33° windy with freezing rain. Normally we have warm weather, like 75° this time of year.

Upscale bar restaurant, used to be a  Harley Davidson dealership converted.

The room is nice but set up donkey backwards. 3 different cieling levels, tile floor and an unmanned bar way in the back of the room. Punters had to wait for the waitress.

Stage sound was all over the place.

Not really our type of crowd.

2nd time playing this place, first time was no better.

Sure, there were people dancing and we got lots of compliments. However, I know what a crap gig is.

It was a crap gig IMO. I'm not going to sugar coat it.

Blue

Third gig there is out of the question then👎

Really good.

Went to the East of England Musical Theatre Orchestra playthrough with @haruki (double double-bass section - we're not allowed to say what the score was)

Basic premise is hire a musical score for a day, spend a few hours rehearsing (and a few more for the singers) and then go through all the songs in a show. 

Great fun, seriously good singers and other musicians, and despite being a pretty crap DBassist, I didn't feel completely lost.

Edited by gapiro

Did a short set at a local pub tonight, great venue but I really struggled with my monitors which came to head in the last song where I could either play or hear what the others were playing. Not my own backline. FoH was ok apparently which is good. Landlord is a lovely guy and was happy but I was a bit frustrated as didn’t feel it was close to my best.

18 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Did a short set at a local pub tonight, great venue but I really struggled with my monitors which came to head in the last song where I could either play or hear what the others were playing. Not my own backline. FoH was ok apparently which is good. Landlord is a lovely guy and was happy but I was a bit frustrated as didn’t feel it was close to my best.

Interesting conversation with the rest of the band today. I really struggled with the on stage sound and technical issues and felt a bit deflated last night. The feeling from the rest of the band was that we were a bit flat energy wise (mid week to about twenty people so not surprising I guess) but also that my playing was incredibly tight (up to the technical issue on the last song). Just shows that we aren’t always the best judge of our own performance! I think the issue at the end clouded the rest of the set for me a little. Feeling much better about the whole thing today and feel that I learnt a hell of a lot from it.

Ralaxing at Starbucks and on my way to a grueling 8-12 gig at Pillars Pub.

Should be packed, first nice Saturday nigh of the year.   Nice venue,with a stage. Upscale crowd, however not our crowd so this place has always been a challenge. It's a converted Church so, high cathedral ceilings and a ton of stained glass.Low stage volume will be key.

I'll let you know what happens. Last weeks gig was not so great.

By the way, you guys know my position on gigging, I love it, right?

At 65, my position is beginning to change. If I was doing 1.5 hours as a headliner it would be cool. 4 hour gigs are slowly but surely starting to drain me.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Played a small venue Friday night which is a cafe/bistro during the day and a sort of bar/meeting place i the evenings. Drummer with Cajon, snare and one cymbal, acoustic guitar through a tiny amp for monitoring and through the PA, Harmonica likewise. Me my normal Barefaced and LM3 turned way down. No earplugs as we were nice and quiet (we're not a loud band anyway but I find the cymbal crash makes my ears ring after a while when we gig at normal volumes so I always wear them) went really well, lovely crowd and a really nice atmosphere and really hot. It's our second time there but my first as I was recovering from neck surgery last time and  the marvellous Nodd McDonagh of this parish dep'd for me: thanks again Nodd! A steady crowd of about 35 with plenty who stayed all night and  then some who drifted in and out. I really enjoyed it, it's the only venue where we have tried this set up and the first time for me and it worked really really well. So well in fact that we're going to try it at some of the smaller places we play. Unexpected left field humour from the front man - "Anyone know what day it is? It's Adolph Hitlers Birthday! This on'es for Adolph!"  then launches into "Run Through The Jungle". Could have gone either way, he pulled it off fortunately. We've been booked for a private party there next month which is great.

Our band fund-raises for Cancer Research UK - £429,000 in 8 years and hoping to hit £500K by Christmas.

Band diary said 7:00 so I got there for about 6:15. Bar staff didn't know what was going on. 6:50 and still no audience, or other band members - starting to get worried.

The rest of the band turned up shortly after 7:00 and started phoning other venues with similar names (xxx conservative club) - the band leader started looking for the organiser's phone number. Eventually we got confirmation that we were in the right place, but not expected to play until 8:00. It was a charity event with little (if any) publicity.

Got set up and ready to play - still no audience unless you count the 5 punters watching football at the other end of the room.

Started playing at about 8:15 and the audience gradually built up over the next couple of hours. We stopped at just after 11:00 by which time the room held about 40 people, 5 of whom were interested and the rest treated us as wallpaper music.

We got paid and we got half of the raffle money, all of which goes to Cancer Research UK, but it was hard work.

David