Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Did a very nice little gig on Saturday for a friend's son's birthday.  Said friend and son are both musos, so their band was the main band on and we were the 'support'.  It all went very well. The main problem with this band I am currently in is that percussionist and guitarist always seem to be playing and slightly different tempos and sometimes I struggle to hold it  together. But on Sat we were pretty good - we've been practicing and improving! 

Our little set went down very well and I was extremely pleased. I then proceeded to indulge in several glasses of wine while the main band were on.  At the end of the night, guitarist from main band (who I know well) came up to me and asked if I'd like to jam a couple of numbers with him and one or two other lurking musos. Despite (because?) of the fact I was now quite drunk I agreed.  Played Roll Over Beethoven and Keep on Rockin Me Baby with them and felt like I was the absolute Queen of Rock n Roll. B)

Video evidence the next day showed the Roll Over Beethoven was indeed quite fun, I looked pretty good and sounded OK. Alas not so for Keep on Rockin Me.  I played all over the place, loads of bum notes.  Oh dear.  If only I'd had the sense to get off the stage after Roll Over. It was just one song too far for a drunken bum O.o The audience seemed to like it though - hopefully they were all too drunk to notice by that time! :D

2 hours ago, seashell said:

Did a very nice little gig on Saturday for a friend's son's birthday.  Said friend and son are both musos, so their band was the main band on and we were the 'support'.  It all went very well. The main problem with this band I am currently in is that percussionist and guitarist always seem to be playing and slightly different tempos and sometimes I struggle to hold it  together. But on Sat we were pretty good - we've been practicing and improving! 

Our little set went down very well and I was extremely pleased. I then proceeded to indulge in several glasses of wine while the main band were on.  At the end of the night, guitarist from main band (who I know well) came up to me and asked if I'd like to jam a couple of numbers with him and one or two other lurking musos. Despite (because?) of the fact I was now quite drunk I agreed.  Played Roll Over Beethoven and Keep on Rockin Me Baby with them and felt like I was the absolute Queen of Rock n Roll. B)

Video evidence the next day showed the Roll Over Beethoven was indeed quite fun, I looked pretty good and sounded OK. Alas not so for Keep on Rockin Me.  I played all over the place, loads of bum notes.  Oh dear.  If only I'd had the sense to get off the stage after Roll Over. It was just one song too far for a drunken bum O.o The audience seemed to like it though - hopefully they were all too drunk to notice by that time! :D

Video proof required or it never happened!!!

Edited by Oopsdabassist

First wedding of the year on Thursday night, slow drive from Elgin up to Strathpeffer in the Highlands due to the snow. Was sharing the stage with a local ceilidh band as well. Was a quick set up and sound check job, which included me wiring up half the PA wrong and not noticing till after the first set. Anyway, the wedding was running late due to speeches so we had to cut our first set down to half hour. Quick re arrange of the stage for the ceilidh band and a nice hour long break for us. Back on stage around 10pm and we played through till 12.30am/ish. Took a while to get into things and get the energy going. Anyway by around 10.35 we have a busy dance floor which made up for the rest of the night. Quick pack up and a long slow drive back down to Elgin fighting through all the snow. Van unloaded and in my bed at 3am. Long day considering I was up for the gym at 4.30am the day before and a half day work as well. 

20180119_010032.jpg

IMG-20180119-WA0014.jpg

20180118_220647.jpg

• Like 2

On 20/01/2018 at 09:13, Callumjord said:

Is that the zoom that has been recorded on? I've been looking at some of the zoom video recorders 

No that's off the phone audio - this is the Zoom https://soundcloud.com/fun-k-222447292/goodtimesmf

There's a bit of lipping as the levels hadn't been set correctly but you get the idea.

Edited by dontregartha

I joined a ska band about a week ago, had my first gig with them on Saturday. A quick 45 minute set at an indoor event, it was an ideal introduction. Had a whale of a time, loved it. They have a big following and so there was a very decent crowd, all up and dancing from the B of the bang. Set list was:

• The Prince
  • Gangsters
  • Is This Love?
  • Israelites
  • Ghost Town
  • Tears Of A Clown
  • A Message To You Rudy
  • On My Radio
  • No No No
  • Baggy Trousers
  • Special Brew
  • Night Boat To Cairo

I've really enjoyed learning these songs; I was already familiar with them, as ska was the sound of my youth and I've always loved it, and it was great to finally play it. There are some wonderful basslines in there -- my personal highlights are Ghost Town and the utterly gorgeous Is This Love?.

Next gig is in two weeks; a longer one this time, more songs to learn!

• Like 4

Small pub in Lichfield last night, what it lacks in size it always makes up for in atmosphere, great beer, great landlord and a blast from start to finish. We were really on it and the crown were great, one really weird guy though, why is there always one? We do punk/ indie/ grunge/ rock and he asks for various miles Cyrus songs. He wasnt local as he told us at great length after the gig as we tried to avoid him. Landlord loved it and gave us 50% on top of fee and wants us back.

• Like 2

Played in the Wig and Pen Northampton town centre last night (Friday). It was 'payday so the pub was rammed. Its not a big place so we set up across the back of the bar. Bear in mind we are a seven piece (Guitar, Bass Drums, Keys, Percussion and two girl singers). The show went down really well, though I had a couple of real tarts off their heads dancing in the 4 foot gap between me and the bar and crashing into me constantly. The poor pot wash lad was struggling to get past them. At one point to move them on I turned my back and pushed and pushed back against them to flatten them against the bar, which worked for a while. I'm not sure, but I think one of them hit his head on my headstock and might be feeling a bit of 'P Bass rash' this morning, but I couldn't possibly comment on that. Three sets, three o'clock bed time and a parking ticket when unloading.... The rock and roll life - huh?

Here's a clip of the night about halfway through - Lovely day (we play it in A for the singer) - Oh and the two guys dancing are not the above mentioned 'Tarts' but two members of our 'Family' - Margaret (our biggest fan) and Wes - who will be joining the vocal line up soon. - but you can see the size of the gap!! 

Edited by dontregartha
media clip

I played O'Neils in Reading last  night with a band that was half Wirebirds & half Mighty Cadillacs (Winey based blues/RnR). Good place to play in terms of size and audience, but getting in and out of the centre of Reading isn't easy, neither is parking near the venue. Last time I played there I got fines for bus lane infringements that equalled my take home for the gig, hopefully avoided that this time. Gig went well, some good dancing going on out front. Played my maple/sunburst Precision through Rootmaster 800 evo and Barefaced Super Twin, more than loud enough with the volume barely off the starting block.

4 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Small pub in Lichfield last night, what it lacks in size it always makes up for in atmosphere, great beer, great landlord and a blast from start to finish. We were really on it and the crown were great, one really weird guy though, why is there always one? We do punk/ indie/ grunge/ rock and he asks for various miles Cyrus songs. .........

We occasionally roll out 'every rose has its thorn' (poison) 

This was covered by young miley , so  that works well for those that ask xD

• Haha 1

No gigs until February. Depressing, however I'm not going to blame anyone or point fingers. 

There's not as many places to play around here anymore. And we dropped a few places that were not much fun to play anymore.It would be nice to get some higher profile gigs. Hopefully the Summer fest & fair season will bring some cooler gigs.:(

Blue

After 7 months of searching for a new singer (and finding one singer that turned out to be something of a red herring along the way) we finally found someone a couple of weeks ago and I've just arrived home from his first gig.

Bit of a thrown together set with basically whatever songs of ours he already knew, a few that he'd learnt and then a few that we learnt that he's done before and we'd only had one rehearsal but it was actually a pretty good gig with only a couple of very minor mistakes.

Really looking forward to sorting out a proper set now that we've got that first gig under our belts.

Played at The Dolphin in Canterbury last night, we play Americana covers plus 25% original material.  V enthusiastic audience, one lady in particular loudly requesting a Beatles song in between each number. Fortunately we didn't cave in, which oddly seemed to be what she wanted.

;;; the rich tapestry of life on a Saturday night.

• Like 1

Another cracker yesterday afternoon. 3-5 in a great little pub off Mill Road in Cambridge. Guest harmonica player enjoyed himself, too.

We seem to be attracting more local musicians now as well....  Wondering what the hell I am doing different now to what I have always done in the past.

Not last night, but yesterday afternoon, was part of the host band for the monthly blues jam at Fat Lil's in Witney. Local stalwart Dave Smith of the Mighty Cadillacs has recruited half of the Wirebirds (me and guitarist Al Stroud), so the band is now a five piece with two lead guitarists, which certainly opened a few eyes and ears yesterday! Quite a few gigs booked for the new line up, so the year is looking good.

Saturday night at The Wings Bar in Exmouth and first time out using my Sandberg Elektra TT instead of the usual G+L L2000 Tribute and it got a universal thumbs up. 'Awesome' from the singer after the soundcheck. Must have been the night for new instruments as one of our guitarists used his old Strat for the first time in place of his Ibanez and that sounded terrific too. Not busy, busy but steady and we enjoyed it and so did the management.   

Friday and Saturday gigs this coming weekend then up to Shepton Mallet on Sunday for the Classic Bike Show probably spending what I've just earned! 

• Like 1

Queen's Head in Belper on Saturday night. A tiny little pub and we'd sold 80 odd tickets. We were worried about fitting everyone in the room but they seemed to manage in the end. I'd been told it'd be a new (and functional) PA but it was the same tired old thing. The sound was OK but I was really holding back (on drums). It went down pretty well though!

Sunday we played at Beat The Streets festival at Rock City in Nottingham. I love playing at Rock City, it's just so professional. They give you a hand with your gear, there's a green room with tea, coffee, beer etc. and the sound is always brilliant. We were in the Basement stage this time but it was packed and we went down well, so a great gig all round! 

4 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Queen's Head in Belper on Saturday night. A tiny little pub and we'd sold 80 odd tickets. We were worried about fitting everyone in the room but they seemed to manage in the end. I'd been told it'd be a new (and functional) PA but it was the same tired old thing. The sound was OK but I was really holding back (on drums). It went down pretty well though!

Sunday we played at Beat The Streets festival at Rock City in Nottingham. I love playing at Rock City, it's just so professional. They give you a hand with your gear, there's a green room with tea, coffee, beer etc. and the sound is always brilliant. We were in the Basement stage this time but it was packed and we went down well, so a great gig all round! 

Sounds nice,

We play  a club that's very similar. Green Room,Pro Stage Manager and Sound Crew that know what they're doing.

Very few clubs like this in my area. They're booked all the through 2018.

Blue

Second gig with the ska band last night. Longer set this time. Went really well and i got lots of compliments on my sound, the band in particular loved it (all i did was roll off the passive tone on my Sire V7 fiver about 60% of the way to take the bright snap out of the tone, and boost the active bass a bit). I had a total mare in a couple of songs, Ghost Town in particular was a real car crash. Which is annoying because it was fine at the last gig -- more personal practice needed and less complacence. I'm having a ball playing this stuff.

The venue fed us too, absolutely belting pizza. 

20180203_210931.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

Second outing with a new band I joined back in September. These guys are a real blast and know their stuff, so it's good for me to pushed to improve - which is just what I want.

New venue for me, great crowd, dancing from the first song onwards. I came home with a real buzz 😀

Three weeks til the next gig and I can't wait.

• Like 1

Local charity BYOB gig last night for Clan, was busy with 200 people down for the night so was a perfect chance to play some new songs. Some went down greatly, others not so great. 

Was a great gig for me though because I got to use my new sire MM V7  bass that arrived earlier that week. Sounded and played incredible with a huge amount of low end! 

20180203_183656.jpg

20180203_183834.jpg

• Like 2