Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1499560455' post='3332236']

Last time we saw him he was there at another of our gigs, he was completely drunk and fell asleep on the side... and it smelled like he had sh*t himself. We never saw him again...
:lol:
[/quote]

Rock 'N' Roll!

Last night we played Bodfest, a local festival now into it's seventeenth year, I think. We played in the afternoon last year but this year we played second from top of the bill on the main stage, just as the sun was setting which was beautiful.

Forty minute set, I was using my J&D '75 Jazz which I'm loving playing at the moment. I DI'd my Genz Benz Shuttle Max 6.0 but took my cab anyway for monitoring. On stage sound was really good, as it was last year, so I could done without the cab in hindsight, but anyway...

Probably the biggest crowd we've played to, circa 1000 people, and I loved every minute of it. We were tight, played really well and got great feedback. Definitely one of my favourite gigs ever, one of those nights that remind me why I do this, and great to catch up with friends in other bands that were playing. Very happy.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

5 Hiils Out played a short set this afternoon at The Belper Food Festival.
Under an awning in a pub yard, very hot in the sunshine.
Amazingly there were three other Basschatters in the audience; Chris Sharman, KevB and Andyjr1515!
That's 4 active members at one gig (and already knew each other). Anyone beat that?

Edited by Len_derby

Two shows in the last three days. Both times the band nailed it. The first one was great all round. However last night was a smaller crowd and bizarre in that the landlord of a small village pub was off his head on coke!?! Didn't it used to be the bands that took the drugs and not the other way around? I'd spent the day practicing the songs I was weaker on so it made for a better performance.

We played a private / corporate booking, which was a bit odd for a band that both play originals and sing in Hungarian, Latin and Sanskrit. I'm not sure why we were asked, but the money was right, the stage was great, the PA was excellent, the monitor mix was the kind of thing we usually daren't dream about and we played flawlessly in the first set although lacked a bit of energy at the start of the second. Audience were largely indifferent of course. Singer got a bit disgruntled about it and made us drop a song. No-one else was any the wiser. It's not our natural habitat, but I could really get used to the facilities.

Edited by radiophonic

Yesterday played a charity gig to raise money for the Great Ormond Street Hospital for kids.

The idea only came about a few days back and the plan was for a mix of members from the bands of Hoddesdon, Herts.

It all went amazingly well, change overs were quick mostly due to an excellent job by the sound man Jack, who is usually on guitar for Defunkt.

The bands were pretty much put together on the day. Most of the band mates I was with, I met for the first time as we walked on to the stage area. :o

Anyway, it all went well, I got to play a whole lot of different tunes with the local musicians who I've enjoyed listening to over the years.

My Barefaced/Galien Kruger rig was used through out, so it was great for me to hear how it sounded out front. Pleased to say it sounded mighty fine and handled all the different basses brilliantly.

More importantly well over £2000 was raised for the charity.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1499629582' post='3332623']
5 Hiils Out played a short set this afternoon at The Belper Food Festival.
Under an awning in a pub yard, very hot in the sunshine.
Amazingly there were three other Basschatters in the audience; Chris Sharman, KevB and Andyjr1515!
That's 4 active members at one gig (and already knew each other). Anyone beat that?
[/quote]

It was a good afternoon out, shame I couldn't catch the Sharmanator in the evening. Here's our very own LenDerby doing his thang. It's a deceptive photo, it was a big courtyard with not much shade so in fact there were a lot of people watching from the cooler areas out of shot, honest!

[url="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/5%20hills%20out_zps8xphobek.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by KevB

Did a city centre in Oxford last night, went well but fewer people than last time owe played the venue, about 6 weeks ago. Apparently this is normal once the students have gone home. Used my (new to me) Epiphone Thunderbird, Ashdown Rootmaster800/Barefaced Super Compact setup, and it all performed very well. The Epiphone is my cheapest bass and is currently the bass of choice for me.

We'll be back there in the middle (and the end) of August. Good to be finally getting a few gigs in my home town!

Tavistock Wharf all to ourselves last night, 206 tickets sold, so good crowd and good pay. 2x 75 minute sets, so good value given too. A moment of tribute for Steve Court, who ran the place for years until his death recently. Steve gave us a night at the venue once, and the rest is, as they say, history. Steve was also a friend of, and PA designer to, Pink Floyd, back in the day, so the rig at Wharf is, shall we say, pretty good!
And, at 16kW, probably still too big for a 400 seater!

Edited by Telebass

I had a really good gig with Musical Youth at Festival Too in King's Lynn. Alembic Series I 5 string bass, two Mesa boogie powerhouse cabs and my mesa walkabout head. Lovely sound & great crowd too.
I hope we get invited there again in the future.

Just back from a central Swindon gig. Good crowd in, got most of them dancing and singing along, we were on good form tonight, best we've played since last NYE. Used my mini rig again, Super Compact with an Ashdown Rootmaster 800 and my Epiphone T Bird, great sound.

A busy, 2 band- 2 gig, weekend.
Friday night 5 Hills Out folk punk at a crowded sweaty pub in Ashbourne. Loads of energy both on stage and in the audience. It was our first return since the landlord changed, but he was a happy chappy at the end of the night and even gave us our fee without us asking. A very drunk fan wanted to help us break down and carry the gear out. Erm, no thanks very much.
Saturday, blues and gospel with the Daz Kelly Band at the Ripley Music Festival. For a small festival it has a fantastic stage and sound provision. We were in stark contrast to most of the acts (heavy rock covers) but went down well, maybe because of that. It's a charity festival, raising money to keep the small local hospital going but we got a small fee for expenses.
I went home and spent it mostly on beer and then grooved around the kitchen with my daughter to the R6 Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show. Incidentally, hosted this week by Colin Greenwood.

Two gigs for me with Til Dawn yesterday. The first was at the annual Motorcycle Meet at The Three Conies pub just outside of Banbury. We were one of four bands, with an hour long afternoon set. The sound was great, for an outdoor do, and we had a big and largely appreciative crowd for what was a really enjoyable event. We're playing really well at the moment, I think we're all enjoying being a three piece and the space it allows us musically. We've done a few gigs now since our other guitarist left, and we're becoming increasingly comfortable with each passing show. A great afternoon, caught up with a few mates, and lots of nice bikes to admire, if you're into that kind of thing. A rare opportunity for my little boy to see us live too, which is always a bonus. I used my J&D '75 Jazz into my Genz Benz Shuttle Max rig which sounded full and punchy.

Then it was a quick pit stop at home for a shower and a catch up with F1 qualifying on the Sky planner before heading off to our evening gig, a wedding in a big gazebo in the middle of a field. Same rig, we played for just over an hour (the happy couple were young rock fans who wanted us to do an hour of 'their' music after the other wedding band, which had played more standard wedding fare). We used their PA which meant we had a nice quick changeover. We played well, they liked it and we had a full dancefloor by the end of our set. A quick breakdown and back home by 9.30pm for a few cold ones, happy days.

I saw a bass playing friend of mine there, who coincidentally was a wedding guest. He complemented me on my J&D bass, saying how good it sounded. 'Mind you', he said, 'you'd expect a boutique instrument with a price tag to match to sound good.' I didn't have the heart to tell him it cost £100 off the internet...

Next stop for us is the Horley Festival on 19th August.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Saturday, 9pm - midnight in a marquee outdoors. No PA support for the bass. The Mesa D800+ and the pair of Barefaced Two10 sounded fantastic (again) with plenty of volume in store still. I love that combination.
And it was just an hour's drive from home, which is is nice.

Of course, there was a bit of drama before as my car's front right brakes seemed a bit stuck and overheating the wheel (I noticed the smell before I noticed the drag!)... so I drove to the garage on Saturday morning and I was without a car for the day and the other guys live a fair way away from me, so I wanted to rent a small van (cheaper than a car) to avoid them a lot of extra driving, which was not easy at such short notice... but I managed in the end. Of course, once I had the van the garage told me my car was ready :rolleyes:

Then Sunday morning... take bus from my house in the West of Edinburgh to the van place East of Edinburgh, and then to the garage North of Edinburgh... and I remembered exactly why I have a car in this town. Edinburgh's public transport thoroughly sucks, unless all you want is to go to the city centre.

Wellowfest last night. All the press etc. made it look like it was a big deal, and they certainly had the stage, PA, and overzealous security to live up to that. It's a shame they didn't have the audience to match! Never mind, it was still fun

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1500278401' post='3336562']
Wellowfest last night. All the press etc. made it look like it was a big deal, and they certainly had the stage, PA, and overzealous security to live up to that. It's a shame they didn't have the audience to match! Never mind, it was still fun
[/quote]

That's a shame. I know the organiser, David Chappelhow works really hard to make Wellow work.
I'm wondering if there are just too many festivals now chasing a limited audience.
I know there were at least 3 other festivals within a 25 mile radius of Wellow this weekend. We were at Ripley, which is just the other side of the M1.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1500305436' post='3336798']
That's a shame. I know the organiser, David Chappelhow works really hard to make Wellow work.
I'm wondering if there are just too many festivals now chasing a limited audience.
I know there were at least 3 other festivals within a 25 mile radius of Wellow this weekend. We were at Ripley, which is just the other side of the M1.
[/quote]

It was definitely well organised! I'm sure I've seen photos from last year which looked like it was packed... you could be right, just too many festivals!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1497745861' post='3320372']
Same for us in Witney this evening, plenty of people there but all sitting out in the garden listening, we were sweating buckets playing to an almost empty pub. Still, it went well, we enjoyed outsides, got paid and rebooked, so all OK.
[/quote]

We finally had a decent gig after 2 shows where I felt the band didn't sound that great.

Beautiful Sunday afternoon 3:00-7:00 biker gig, 3 sets at The Road House.

Nice size crowd and we really connected with them. The band was really burning on all 6 cylinders. That doesn't always hapoen.

In a word "fun".

Blue

Edited by blue

I haven't posted in here for a while, but nice gig today.
We played out-doors in a seaside restaurant/ cafe type place, nice weather and a Saturday drew a few punters
I'm starting to like these family day time shows a lot more than the bar and club stuff that is the norm for us. (maybe my age lol)

The novelty was that I took a swim in the sea before the first set and then again after the gig, went in in my undies but who cares lol
12:30 load in and was back home by 8pm :) Perfect for me.

Just back from what can only be described as a belter - the after-party for a local community festival. It's also the wettest gig I've ever played and - by a country mile - the best bass sound I've ever had on stage. It turns out that what I need is a pair of 1000W 15" back-loaded horns positioned directly behind me. Who knew? The sound was absolutely huge. We sound-checked whilst paying the first song, played too fast, dropped a few clangers and emptied water out of the sagging roof awning mid song, but nobody cared and the momentum never dropped. We're taking a month off now, so that was a great one to go out on.

Edited by radiophonic

I have a run of 10 or so dep gigs with a covers band. The second was this afternoon at Much Marcle Steam Rally. Fortunately the PA was provided, but the lorry-mounted stage was as wet as a wet thing so they moved the PA to the beer tent. Jobsworths on the gate stopped us getting vehicles right up to the marquee, but we managed to find spaces in the car park fairly close to the pedestrian entrance next to it and handballed all our kit in.

Of course there was no stage in the beer tent. Somebody found a piece of plywood big enough to fit the drumkit on, and I had taken the precaution of bringing a small wooden board to put my rig on and keep it off the grass. After all this we had a slightly late start, and played an excellent and very satisfying set. My 63 RI Precision via Demeter/Barefaced rig sounded epic - everything from Bob Marley to Simply Red to AC/DC at the turn of a tone knob. Also the view to my left consisted of several traction engines - the smell was glorious!

Here's the only pic I've been able to find. Sadly, my face is obscured...

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1500758136' post='3340070']
I have a run of 10 or so dep gigs with a covers band. The second was this afternoon at Much Marcle Steam Rally. Fortunately the PA was provided, but the lorry-mounted stage was as wet as a wet thing so they moved the PA to the beer tent. Jobsworths on the gate stopped us getting vehicles right up to the marquee, but we managed to find spaces in the car park fairly close to the pedestrian entrance next to it and handballed all our kit in.

Of course there was no stage in the beer tent. Somebody found a piece of plywood big enough to fit the drumkit on, and I had taken the precaution of bringing a small wooden board to put my rig on and keep it off the grass. After all this we had a slightly late start, and played an excellent and very satisfying set. My 63 RI Precision via Demeter/Barefaced rig sounded epic - everything from Bob Marley to Simply Red to AC/DC at the turn of a tone knob. Also the view to my left consisted of several traction engines - the smell was glorious!

Here's the only pic I've been able to find. Sadly, my face is obscured...

[/quote]
Welly rock :)