Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1445286441' post='2890338']
French doors via the Serpent Gate - if they haven't mislaid the key. How did you get on with the jobsworths?
[/quote]

The place was fully laid out and this was apparently the best route in. I am told that to hire the Orangery for the day costs £18,000 - could be rubbish of course.

I don't recall encountering any jobsworths.

Nice gig with an amazing crowd last night EVERYONE in the place dancing by the end - love that sight!
Decided for some reason to switch from my usual 5 string fretless to 4 string fretted at the last minute, sounded ok but the TC rig with the RS210 needs some help when it gets loud - internet visit to Mr Thomann required I think.

Played a dinner dance with a full-on 20-piece big band. A lot of the numbers (especially fast quick-steps) were really stretching my reading ability at rehearsals, so I had spent a fair bit of time 'woodshedding' with the sheet music - and it paid off, I was pretty happy with my performance.

Played my '73 P through the Demeter head and BF Midget. This rig held its own against said big band and sounded lush, to me it lacked nothing.

What is it with some of these folks though - the band leader's email clearly stated 6pm soundcheck, and there were still musicians drifting in at 6.15 - surely being on time is 'Band 101'!

Halloween gig in Leamington. Had thirty Draculas (a stag party) singing along to "Sweet Home Alabama" and "I'll be there for you". I nearly drowned in sweat in a werewolf mask (I didn't stay in it for long), Mrs Zero was one of the Wicked Witches, and our guitarist was Ozzie for a night.

5 metal bands and we were 2nd on. The shared cab was a Behringer 8 x 10 and I had it LOUD. It was just wonderful, until my earplug fell out. Still, very enjoyable to play bass for once

Strange crowd though. A bunch of young guys punching and kicking seemingly randomly at first, but then definitely at the crowd close by, which inevitably ended in a fight. What's wrong with people?

Were some of the other bands more hardcore than metal? The random punching/kicking thing is very much a hardcore thing & when hardcore crowds mix with metal crowds they do often clash (Lamb of God were always a classic example of half the audience not understand what the other half were doing). Though I have noticed at hardcore gigs in recent years, the younger crowds don't seem to understand the principals of the punch/kicking thing & just end up being arses sucker punching people, words have needed to be said a few times.

Played the 'Day of Rock' in Kettering last night. The event was sponsored by Marshall, so we were using their cabs. I wasn't impressed at all; I even turned my amp down onstage so I couldn't hear it, and just relied on the monitors. The power on stage was dirty (I suspect that having the lights on the same ring was the culprit), so the guitarist's digital board became a noise generator and he didn't use it. On stage sound wasn't the best and it was a 6 hour round trip. Had to count the drummer in a couple of times because he couldn't hear the guitarist etc...

So a couple of issues. We had a blast though, and made the best of a less than perfect setup.

All in all not the best gig I've played, but we met some great guys, and have picked up a lot of work off the back of it.

Really good. Started the gig, first song, the bass / mixer / PA kept cutting out. We stopped and the barstaff say 'oh we forgot to tell you that socket on the side cuts out a lot, you should run it to this extension from the bar. So we run everything around the other side when all was fine.
After that we noticed there was an orange light on the bar that came on when the volume went up. Is it possible they didn't actually know they had a sound limiter?

Bit average tbh. Combination of 'all the gear and no idea' from some band members plus the other three apparently taking it it in turns to make some gaff or other just put more pressure on me to hold it all together. Me fighting the affects of a mild gut bug didn't add to it. No severe damage and I believe the pub (which is a new one for us) are looking to rebook us. It was thankfully not that busy as folks were out at bonfire parties so hopefully more of an audience if we make a return.

Hi all - this is my first post on the forum despite sniffing around since joining up a few weeks ago.

I joined a local well established rock covers band a couple of months ago, having not played with a band for a good few years (I've spent the last few years doing my acoustic singer-songwriter thing). Anyway, their bass player left, and I fancied getting back into it so here are - first gig this coming Saturday (at The Swan, Banbury)!

Got to say I'm a little nervous, mainly about screwing up something in the 32 song set I've had to learn, but we're well drilled so, brain fade excepted, we should be ok... It's a great venue too, having seen many bands in there over the years I know it's a boozy, rowdy crowd. So - wish me luck!!

Not too shabby. On the downside, the club's less-than-stellar gear left me having trouble hearing myself. On the upside, we played well and the crowd seemed to like us. Also, some friends I didn't expect to see made the trip out to see us and that was great!

some all day punk festival. We're what's known as "folk punk" which I guess is music with a traditional melody and angry lyrics. The other bands were pretty heavy punk. I don't really understand why they booked us but we still seemed to go down OK

The sound on stage was just awful. Feedback through the entire set. I had ear plugs in so just kept playing but I know the other guys were struggling. No idea what the sound man was thinking/hearing

Had a great gig at Ilkeston's The Davey Lamp. Plenty of social media and press coverage leading up to this one lead to a full venue with standing room only! As ever, the well known material went down a treat but the lesser known tracks were greeted enthusiastically too with plenty of folks having a good boogie/air guitar - even had a couple of 'crutch guitar' moments too!

All in all a great night!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1446979252' post='2903824']
gig went ok

word of advice to anybody considering taking a booking from The Sun in Faversham - as a precaution make sure when you agree the booking and confirm that all parties involved are fully aware of t&c's re the fee :angry:
[/quote]

Eh? Normal pub T&C's are that you turn up and play between the agreed times!

Not great! No keys as he had another gig so we carried on as a four piece, we usually cope ok! The guitarist has a guitarist friend and his singing girlfriend over from abroad for a while and all of a sudden the start of the second half at each gig has turned into a showcase for his guitar w***ery!! He even persuaded our guitarist to use his head for the night and it was a bit more than one louder! It was making me feel dizzy on some notes! How do you lose one member of the band for the night and it ends up louder than normal?? Not pleasant, words will be had if this continues, at the end of the day getting a guest up for one or two isn't so bad but it's turned into three extended Gary Moore songs with full on solos and then House of the Bloody Rising Sun for the girlfriend which goes on for about five minutes!!!!!

Rant over!!!

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1447616607' post='2908971']
Headlined the Wheatsheaf in Oxford on Friday night. Absolutely busting crowd who were well up for a bit of noise. Even made a couple of quid too :). I was harangued by going back on a pledge to wear a My Little Pony T-shirt but other than that, NOISE!!!

[/quote]

I've still yet to catch you guys live Fred, anything coming up in Banbury soon?

Brilliant first gig with my new band Til Dawn at The Swan in Banbury last night. Nice easy load in and set up, quick sound check before 9pm start with 2 x 1 hour sets. Really cooking by the end, decent crowd and some kind words afterwards. It was my first gig playing bass for a few years so I was happy with how it went. Quite a small playing area so I was very close to my amp, the kit and a Marshall half stack; ears a bit woolly afterwards! Does anyone use ear plugs on stage? Any you'd recommend? Still on a big high this morning, we're at The Bell in Bicester on Friday.