Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1442129686' post='2864491']
cool

i just googled milwaukee HD and this from 2012 came up - is this the sort of stage?? :o :lol:

[/quote]

No, and I'm not sure where that stage actually is. It's not the Summerfest Harley stage which we have played, but not last weekend.We had a great stage, sound and lights but not that great. LOL

Blue

Blue

Edited by blue

A fun Sunday afternoon gig.

It was a Vintage Car Show. Small playing area with a little tarp, not great but adequate. An unusual 3 hr gig. Good pay and tips. appreciative crowd and the band was sounding good and we had fun. What more can you ask for.

Blue

Edited by blue

awesome gig last night at Islington Assembly Rooms playing the Hounds Of Love in its entirety, with help of the London Bulgarian Chior, Members of Mad Dog McRae and Kate Bush's original drummer Preston Heyman.

And then everyone getting pie-eyed in the local pub afterward where we joined by a couple more special guests :)

A gig I shant forget for a long long time

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1442220518' post='2865155']
Band played good but for me, hated it.

Been a heavy few days. Thursday, live band recording at France Bleu radio, Saturday, wedding anniversary gig, home at 2.30 am Sunday morning, up at 7.00 am, 70km drive to sound-check and play at 11.30 am. Leave there at 13.00, 230km drive to afternoon / evening gig and then 160km drive home.

It's not fun anymore.
[/quote]

Interesting, for me, when I have 3 gig busy weekends, that's like being in heaven for me. As long as the pay is acceptable.

Blue.

Just got back from an amazing show at the Mold Food Festival , which for some bizarre reason was using a photo of my ugly mug as the token muso on the advertising and festival programmes B)

We had a slot at 5-5.40 but the organisers asked us to close the show with the 7-8.00 slot as well, as a member of the band booked had a medical issue and pulled very late.
We played the first set which went brilliantly , then a couple of lads came on to do some rapping , they tried hard but it wasnt exactly the right audience for them, but as they had nothing to set up with , we were able to leave our stuff set up , so the change over was slick. So slick that the organisers had them start early and finish by 6.30 so by 6.35 we were back on and we smashed it , best gig EVER , the talk was, up to 2K people still at the event and over half of them listening to us.
The area set aside for dancing was full, with some proper rocking going on, it was quite incredible to see people on others' shoulders bouncing around .
The sound guy was brilliant , and even he was buzzing over the reaction we were getting.
It brings to mind the pub gigs playing to empty houses being the normal gig scenario, last week we played to 15 people,tops, but I dare say the experience of playing those pubs, means that if a big show suddenly breaks out that we are capable of smashing it .

2 gigs this weekend.

1st one was with Slander in Lancaster - I was a bit off, but we did alright

2nd one (4 hours ago) was playing for a Karaoke band at the Ramsbotom Festival - we went down well, but there were a few 'curveballs' in the set, meaning I messed up a couple of bits.

Not happy with this weekend's performances. :( :angry:

From what I have read there are business and cultural differences between our 4 hour bar gigs and your 2 hour pub gigs.

Culturally it's the hours,over here 4 hours is all we know and we think nothing of it.

It seems like playing 4 hours doesn't fit the traditional pub business model.

Playing 4 hours is not a big deal.

Blue

Edited by blue

First outing for my new rock covers band 'Wayward Sons' last night. Also first outing for my new rig - Trace Elliot head RAH300-12 SMX into 2 x BF Supercompacts. Bass was my Squier Katana, which is the first time I have gigged with that.

Band played well, considering we were under-rehearsed. A bit too loud, I think. We went down extremely well to a lively and friendly crowd of largely invited F&F - a kind of 'let's test the water with people we know' type of gig. I totally enjoyed myself. Excited about the future with this band.

Rig was phenomenal. Best sound I have ever had, period. Real authority and presence, like when I used to have my much loved and missed old Trace Elliot rig, but with greater clarity and punch from the Supercompacts. A bass player who was watching right at the back of the room said as soon as I started playing it hit him straight in the gut, which is good! Katana bass was fantastic, a marvelous woody precision tone that could be dull and thuddy or sharp and edgy and maybe a touch more bite than some of my other Ps. In the context of the band it was the perfect sound I was looking for. Looked the mutts, too. Pics didn't come out, sadly.

Happy last night. Happy this morning. :)

Edit, I suppose this one isn't too bad.
[attachment=201073:newrig100915.jpg]

Edited by Paul S

My first gig for 30 years last night. Rock covers band in a large suburbia pub. Lots of family and friends so the pub was rammed. Responsive audience and the place was bouncing. Unfortunately the guitarist/singer got bladdered and we had to cancel playing one of the songs because he wasn't in the condition to play it. Forgot his words to some songs as well. It was close to being a total disaster but the audience were up for a good boogie and most of the bad stuff went over their heads. A bit of work and discipline needed me thinks. Hasn't put me off though, we're all human.

Went to see fellow Basschatter' olliedf89' playing last night in Worthing with his band, the Jukebox Junkies..

Really great band, playing some really cool stuff for on RHCP, Muse etc, through to more chart based stuff that's happening now.

Very good front man who knows how to work a crowd, so it was a very enjoyable 2 hours..

Star of the show though, was Ollie who plays some seriously inventive bass lines, using a very impressive array of FX to brilliant effect! It's so refreshing to hear a band where the bass does so much more than just hold down the groove - important as that is! Here, the bass was as much a feature of the band's sound as anything else..

If you're local to Brighton, West Sussex borders, you should definitely try and check them out!

Sat night rather than last night and wasn't going to bother reporting as it was one of those 'get through it and get home' gigs where no matter what you do the (small) audience just seem indifferent. Until you tell them its the last song and then of curse they don't want you to leave! They want us back at some point so it wasn't a totally wasted trip but I'm not sure it's ever going to be 'our' sort of place.
One odd thing during the gig, part way through first set there was an ominous smell of burning. It didn't smell particularly electrical and we use all LED lights so it was hard to figure what we had that could have got so hot it was burning something else. It crept slowly toward me and as I had the desk and PA on my side I couldn't see that it could be the source. Now the guitarist is really looking panicky on other side of stage area. I got to a point in a song where I could hold a long single note and quickly checked our stack of PA gear, not even warm.
Eventually transpired that some guy was smoking something outside the front door and somehow the air currents were channeling it all in the pub and straight into our area, like DIY smoke machine except smellier. It wasn't even dope, just smelled like a paper/cardboard bonfire. Couldn't believe it was just a cigarette, he must have actually set fire to something to produce that amount of smoke, could see the haze in front of the floor lights.

Last night was a belter, went on after the Rugby, but despite the disapointing result the crowd were up for it from the start; I think there's something in starting a bit later. We played really well, much better than the last time we were there, we got rid of bass bins and reduced the number of mics of stage which sorted the feedback problems we'd had last time.

I was really pleased with my bass tone as well, clear, crisp and punchy - just the way i like it - G&L and EBS really works for me :)

I'm also firmly back in the five string camp now, I know they're not for everyone, but just works for me.

Best bit though was seeing my mate who as the best man at my wedding, haven't seen him for ages and he came down for the Rugby and the gig.

Edited by Graham

We had a good night supporting Nine Below Zero.
Nice Guys and even took the time to watch some of our set.
It was a very historic venue here in Turku, that saw the likes of the New York Dolls and most touring acts of the 70 and 80's stopping off to do shows there.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/ySaVUE"][/url]

Did a gig Friday that actually left me feeling a bit humbled. Got to jam with a couple of absolutely incredible guitarists, one from Japan and one from Italy who were over doing clinics together.Both using 8 string guitars, they did their own stuff to backing tracks then our drummer and myself joined them later to blast through some classic rock stuff, Sabbath, Zeppelin etc. By far the most talented musicians I've ever played with and absolutely lovely guys too. Very happy!

Played a village hall last night. We'd been asked to go on at 8:45PM despite the rugby being on. Had a fairly entertaining evening ourselves despite the place having a pretty low turnout. Not sure we'll be back there again as apparently a heavy rock band are a bit heavy for them... despite the fact that the few folks who were there did get up on the dancefloor!

Highlight of the night was two women having a wild screaming fit at each other, coming close to fisticuffs as we were packing up. It's nice to get entertained back.

A private party last night , a very stop go affair , family member doing a 'disco' , speeches , cake cutting etc but a good bit was a friend of the birthday girl asked if we new any Italian music ........WTF.... he said ...O solo mio ...the cornetto song , so yes , we hashed up a bit of Elvis 'its now or never' with BV's singing the cornetto version , and the party girl (50th) was crying her eyes out .

Apparantly she had always wanted to visit Rome , and the song request was the cue to give her the tickets that her friends had chipped in for!!

silly little things like this make a good night great .

Had a wedding gig in Leicestershire last night. I honestly don't know how we got thru it - both myself (bass/vocals) and keyboard player have colds - he was sweaty and feverish the whole time, and we both felt bloody awful.

But It turned out to be a brilliant gig! We somehow managed to come out fighting and absolutely nailed it, and the wedding party loved it! Should have been sponsored by Sudafed, Echinacea and any other medication we could lay our hands on.

So pleased it went well. Feeling it today tho. Dreadful. Need tea.

CRAP!!! Singer had a sore throat and decided that throwing double brandys down her face would sort it out!! She's not a drinker and needless to say it was a bloody car crash!! Nice local social club with quite a few friends there, well paid and kept in liquid by them too! (Which didn't help!!) I honestly wish the floor could have opened up in front of me!!! Oh well, with pubs closing and another cancelling due to the bloody rugby we've got a quiet month now!! Ho hum! Any body need a dep!!