Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just home from cousins 60th birthday party at Via Fossa, Nottingham,
Nightmare load-in upstairs, through thronged bar full of concurrent stag and hen parties, tiny stage with a pair of dead mains sockets, competing with throbbing house piped music bleeding through from downstairs, yet all turned out fine. Hard work competing with relatives who haven't seen each other for months and want to talk and eat through the first set, but the place was jumping in the second set. First gig with my Warwick 2007 Custom FNA 5er, and I loved the sound through the Warwick LWA 1000 head and Barefaced Big Baby 2 3g cab. Warm and deep yet punchy at the same time. Kudos to the venue staff, especially the security guys, who let us park in the no-parking area and kept an eye on our vehicles while we loaded in and out.

Time for sleep now, then a 370 mile round trip to pick up a Fleabay Thumb bass :-)

A garden party this afternoon and evening, organised by a colleague of our singster. Set up (5-piece pop/rock covers; deUs, Radiohead, RATM, Noir Désir; Smashing Pumpkins etc...) on the patio decking, in a corner between two stone walls, facing out over the garden. Excellent weather (not too hot; there was a marquee in case of rain, but no need...). Minimum PA, 2 passive HK tops run mono from right channel, 2 passive wedges for monitor run mono from left channel, 2 x 300w total; 2 vox, light kick and o/h. Excellent sound, both FOH and on stage. Because of the corner disposition, we were in a sort of quarter-circle configuration (bass in corner behind my drums, guitar 1 to left, guitar 2 to right...), and all of us could here all the others very well. Two 45-minute sets, very well received, with folks of all ages dancing on the lawn, despite our repertoire being a little less than 'mainstream'. A decent meal in good company afterwards, a reasonable load out and home by 01h00, leaving them all to finish off the evening with a disco. Right up or alley, gigs like that. Another set up for July 11, maybe a couple more this summer..? Bring it on. Tired but content.

Edited by Dad3353

Nerve-wracking....first gig in over 6 months. Private party, so not many were actually listening. We pulled it off, but we'd only had 3 hours together as a band beforehand!
Glorious old house, almost a small stately home. The completely-returned-to-stock Markbass CMD121H sounded great, deep and round, just how I like it.
More, please!

Not last night but Friday - my band Illegal Tender played at The Bell in Castle Hedingham for the first time. Great village, great pub, great food, great gig! We really went down well - particularly nice as two people complemented me on my bass playing afterwards :)

Interesting one last night.

Long story short. Played at the Rose in Bigglewade. Bit of a journey. Set up with 30 mins before scheduled start to find mixing desk had no output. After some frantic attempts to remedy the situation it was looking bleak - then I remembered my backup amp (Genz Streamliner 600). No idea if it would work but it did just fine. Mic straight into the jack sockt and a bit of EQing and off we went. Singer said he could hear just fine with no monitoring and the amp stayed cool in spite of it being blisteringly hot. Not sure what Ohmage it was running at either but the sound (by all accounts) was spot on.

An interesting end (apart from occasional deps) to my time with the band last night. Booked to do a wedding anniversary at a functions venue in Macc, had to turn up around noon to begin an extensive setup – client had hired rather OTT lighting and floor-level stage paraphernalia for a DJ whose space we were sharing – so we had an enormous amount of dead time. Thankfully I got whisked away for Father’s Day lunch with my daughter.
Did the first set. Not a huge reaction but set 2 is traditionally where things liven up, but after the first song we were asked to pack it up. Nothing wrong with us apparently, but it turned out the DJ was the client’s son and because the whole event had run behind schedule our second set was going to cut into his. So we ended up loitering for a few hours after we’d finished as he was running through our PA.
We got paid in full, but it was a pretty crap way for me to say my farewell.

Friday night supporting Lindisfarne with my folk band. I don't think they're my cup of tea, but they still draw a crowd! Great sound on stage so I got to really play with confidence (on drums) which was ace

Saturday night my first gig on bass for about 5 years. I was pretty nervous at first but got into it after the first "song". I don't know how we went down and I don't care. My bass sounded absolutely incredible on stage.

Last night back on drums for the star and garter in manchester. A pretty small room with about 30 mental punks all going nuts to our particular brand of "folk". I don't really get why all these punks love us but they keep booking us!

Two nights of Floyd with Darkside at the Belgrade Theatre Coventry. Used my new Fender 50s precision for the first time which sounded great.

Strange night on Friday though as for some reason the first three rows were all 10-13 year old French exchange students. This was bizarre as although some of them enjoyed it, there were some trying to sleep and others with fingers in their ears. Standing ovation from the rest of crowd but it made the whole band feel on edge.

Saturday night was great though! Here's my rocking out playing Arnold Layne

[IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/Michael_Ridley-Dash/IMG_0085_zpsa4e4c0e1.png[/IMG][/URL]

How was my gig last night?
Awesome!

We played the Summer Solstice event at Moonhenge. I’m a practicing pagan, so was really looking forward to the celebrations and seeing the venue anyway and it didn’t disappoint.

It was quite an expensive ticket (£30) but around 400 people happily parted with their hard earned.
There were three folk acts before us, so IP was a bit nervous about how we’d fit in (Marilyn Manson meets surf….). I was amazed when we launched into our first song how many camera phones went up and started flashing away, or stayed up their filming!

The view of the henge from the stage was amazing, our set finished at 21:21 the exact time that the sun set through the centre of the henge. We were so appreciated by the crowd I had a permanent grin on my face for our whole set.

OK… There were two glitches….
After our third song we received a noise complaint from the Police Station in the next town… we were quite proud that it was from a different district that we were playing, but we duly turned down.

I didn’t really notice (due to the size of the site) but I heard afterwards that someone had lost their hand during our set….
There was a viking re-enactment thing earlier that day, and while the mead was freely flowing someone had an accident with a sword and lost their hand.

So overall, yeah best gig ever (for me). The photos of us look a bit crappy as the stage was covered by a marquee thingy, so its always gonna look like a tent.

Yours truly:
[url="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/urbanxphotography3/media/IMG_0806%20-%20LO%20_zpsvm2tf64s.jpg.html"][/url]

The henge around 4 hours after we played (Not my photo)

[url="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/urbanxphotography3/media/photo%20-LO%20_zpsgmn0xyct.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by urbanx

Great picture of the henge , it looks awesome!

Our gig was a 30th party , and everyone was outside on the balcony and in the gardens of the clubhouse for the first set , apart from the kids , son we played to them. A few came in our Adele number so we shuffled the set to keep them there for another 3 songs before our break. the second set was much better as it got dark and the bands lights made more of an impact for the party atmosphere. I was using a couple of extra LED cans and bought a Ryger foot controller and I reckon that when I get a bit more familiar with it ,it will be brilliant .
We blooded a couple of new ones which went down quite well and at the end the hostess decided that she wanted a photo of herself wearing my hat , then my shirt :blink: , I had a spare T so that was cool , but she loved it.
we have a 3 week break now as we have a few holidays lined up then 3 packed at the start of August , then September weekends are chocker

Depped on guitar at a pub where the 'stage' is in the middle of the room, so that there are often punters leaning over a wooden rail to the side of you and slightly behind. Monitoring and lighting were atrocious, making for some rather adverse playing conditions. During the encore, I turned round to see that a woman had put her glass of orange juice on top of my amp - a £2k+ Matchless with lethal DC voltages inside it! I politely asked her not to put her drink there, but glanced round a minute later to find she had done it again. I put the glass on the floor and wiped off the orange juice ring with a bar towel, and the night finished without further incident.

Not my favourite place to play!

We played a bike club rally in the Midlands last night, great audience helped by the fact that I am an official of the club and knew most of the people there. Played outside, great onstage sound with the two new larger monitors we have just bought and listening to a recording of the second set as I type, excellent front of stage sound as well. Should lead to similar gigs around the country of this national club.

Unfortunately, once we had deducted the money we owed for the monitors, we went home with twenty quid each, in addition to which I spent £400 while there on a new bass! Rather fetching Jap Fender P, 60s replica in sunburst, rosewood, tort....makes a lovely pair with my similar Mex Jazz bass. I'll try to get some pics of the two together at this afternoon's gig.

Bit 'meh' last night but only second gig with new band, still ironing a few things out. It was a pick up gig to fill in for a band that had to cancel at a venue that is always going to be a bit hit and miss and not the sort of place we would probably normally target. I didn't push for a repeat booking, treated it like a paid rehearsal. The locals that were there seemed to like it as did the manager. Not sure if we'll get asked back or not.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1435484755' post='2809121']
Bit 'meh' last night but only second gig with new band, still ironing a few things out. It was a pick up gig to fill in for a band that had to cancel at a venue that is always going to be a bit hit and miss and not the sort of place we would probably normally target. I didn't push for a repeat booking, treated it like a paid rehearsal. The locals that were there seemed to like it as did the manager. Not sure if we'll get asked back or not.
[/quote]

I know you don't do FB, but there are some good pics up! One of you looking very rock n Roll, despite the flowery flouncy curtains in the background, and some very dubious wallpaper. :D

Dep'd for a mate's band at a wedding - at least I got the setlist a couple of weeks beforehand but there were still a few changes of keys to sort out. We had a couple of runs through the set in the afternoon and went for it! Had an absolute blast - not what Id usually play and nice to be set free from the vocal duties for a gig too B)

Water for Dogs played an afternoon set at the Exile festival in Derbyshire yesterday. Had a great time. The festival is a small affair and all the better for it very inclusive and with a nice rotating selection of real ales. The sound guys were great and we were set up and running in record time. Great response, great buzz, some dancing and CD sales so all good.

Hope to play there some time again in the future.

Not too shabby. Played mainly for family and friends, so decided to do the second set on the fretless. I really enjoyed it, and had very favourable comments from the guitarist stood next to my amp about my intonation.

Played as a four piece (no Jenny) at a local charity raising beer fest, all the beer we could drink (coupla pints each as we were all driving) and a burger or two in exchange for playing a 45 min set. I actually got my my Ashdown/Barefaced backline out after only using DI for most of this year, refreshingly punchy.

No foldback, so a bit of a challenge knowing where we were in each song, and very little FOH PA, so audience somewhat bemused. We played fine, but a bit of audience feedback would have been nice, if only they could have heard the vocals.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1435499475' post='2809349']
I know you don't do FB, but there are some good pics up! One of you looking very rock n Roll, despite the flowery flouncy curtains in the background, and some very dubious wallpaper. :D
[/quote]

I've just checked the fb page and can see the photos (unfortunately!) :blush: I realise how dark it really was in that room even with our own lighting and half the time I was struggling to see my PK5 pedals on a brown mock parquet flooring, must get a thin white mat to put them on. I found out yesterday that the venue has always been through an agent so I guess we were doing a bit of a 'foreigner' for the landlady stepping in to fill the cancellation, probably why she didn't enter into talks about repeat bookings.

played this gig where the pub pays a low fee but has whip round towards the end of the evening, our soon to be departed guitarist got pissed and there were loads of mistakes, we thought we were an absolute shambles, we got the biggest collection the pub's ever had, go figure.

Edited by PaulWarning

We had an interesting one on Saturday.

A catholic club in Merthyr.

Lots of very very drunk punters and a poor attendance overall.

The toilets were by far the most disgusting of any venue.

We were certainly all from our "A game" and every band member made howlers of mistakes.

That said they all loved us!!

Played a duo gig yesterday afternoon in a church. It was some fundraiser but a paid gig for us. Only 80 people, most of which were 65+ so a quick change of the set list was needed to add some older French standards.

The real upside of the gig was that my guitar and the singer's vocals had never sounded so good. We had next to no volume coming through the P.A. and zero effects. Didn't need it. Coupled with her singing in French (she's English) it all went down a storm.