Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

It happens everywhere for us. We're not really a band for dancing.

Also guys in the USA tend not to dance. The single guys looking for action with the ladies sort have to dance or your chances of getting anywhere are slim 

I can't dance and I won't dance. I'm way to self conscious. Some guys can get out there and don't have a care in the world. That ain't me.

Blue

What, and the invisible bear doesn‘t count? That seems so unfair. 😉

• Haha 1

Last night was a gig in my old stomping ground. The pub I used to drink in as a student has changed hands, but has retained its air of iniquity.

The band were on top form last night and it was my first wireless gig too. Ended up on the shoulders of the lead singer playing the 2nd encore and got home at about 2.30 this morning.

Not too shabby.

Last night was a venue in my town that we hadn't played as it isn't a pub, more a nightclub. New territory for me because I didn't grow up here, so I had never gone to that sort of place. Was expecting it to be really bad but actually it wasn't that bad at all, we had a small audience to start, which was people who came to see us, which was nice, and when it got fuller after half time the audience actually were pretty responsive.

And as it was an organised place it was held down to just two one hour sets which is really short for us and very pleasant.

Totally different type of gig last night. First 'No Data Improvisation Orchestra' event at a studio in Southend. 

Organised by the guitarist (the only guy I actually knew) , got together in the day to set up , get levels, have a little jam. Then in the evening invited a small audience to watch us play and record. Totally improvised, was a lot of fun to let lose and play. Can't wait to listen to the recordings. Hopefully not long until the next one, plan to do it at a venue and have a bigger audience. 

Last night, we played at the Remedy Bar and Brewhouse in Stockport. A great and very hospitable  little venue with a good listening crowd. We went down really well and a number of people asked us when we will be back. It will be next year, as they only have bands on once a year, as there are so many bands trying to play there. That makes it difficult to build up any following there.

Nice to see Josie from on here pop in to watch our first half.

The stage area is more cramped than it used to be, as they have moved bands near to the entrance to the bar, from the other side of the building. I think their neighbours have been kicking up about noise. Still manageable, though. A good night.

DSCN8829+CROPPED_.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 12stringbassist said:

Last night, we played at the Remedy Bar and Brewhouse in Stockport. A great and very hospitable  little venue with a good listening crowd. We went down really well and a number of people asked us when we will be back. It will be next year, as they only have bands on once a year, as there are so many bands trying to play there. That makes it difficult to build up any following there.

Nice to see Josie from on here pop in to watch our first half.

The stage area is more cramped than it used to be, as they have moved bands near to the entrance to the bar, from the other side of the building. I think their neighbours have been kicking up about noise. Still manageable, though. A good night.

It was! Good high-energy stuff and good audience. Really sorry I had to leave early, but you don't want to be on the last bus out of Stockport on a Saturday night 😞 

Hoping to get my band to one of your Sunday afternoon open mics soon.  

• Like 2

We had a great gig at a little pub in Mold , North Wales , it seemed a bit quiet setting up , but was bouncing by the third number. 

Got called for 3 encores finishing at 12.15 it took ages to breakdown for all the dudes wanting a chat , very pleased with the performance and the staff were a bit gutted as we are not due back there until December 😂

• Like 1

It's been a good weekend, Friday was our annual performance for Young Epilepsy's summer ball, this is always a really fun gig, the young people at the charity are always so enthusiastic that it makes it very enjoyable.

Saturday was a nice wedding in a converted barn - good sound, lots of space and an appreciative audience again made for a good gig, decent money both nights too.

Before we played at the wedding, they had an Elvis tribute, who was great; it was a surprise that the bride arranged for her husband and he sang the first dance. He was a lot of fun and a great entertainer; I really liked that he stuck around to watch our set too, which I wasn't expecting to be honest.

20180721_201142.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Graham said:

It's been a good weekend, Friday was our annual performance for Young Epilepsy's summer ball, this is always a really fun gig, the young people at the charity are always so enthusiastic that it makes it very enjoyable.

Saturday was a nice wedding in a converted barn - good sound, lots of space and an appreciative audience again made for a good gig, decent money both nights too.

Before we played at the wedding, they had an Elvis tribute, who was great; it was a surprise that the bride arranged for her husband and he sang the first dance. He was a lot of fun and a great entertainer; I really liked that he stuck around to watch our set too, which I wasn't expecting to be honest.

20180721_201142.jpg

Top of the bill over Elvis!!

Last night my blues band played the town's Art Centre. This may not sound a particularly big deal but for me it was one off the bucket list. The venue isn't big, but it has a good reputation and has had some very good artists and bands play there...the likes of John Martyn (obviously when he was alive), Andy Fairweather Low is there again soon. The first time I went so see a band was at this venue, I was in my teens and went to see a band called the Cult Maniax, ironically last night, my first time playing there, our guitarist was in the Cult Maniax.

This was a ticket event, we didn't sell all tickets but the venue were very pleased with the turnout, I think we out sold a much better known blues band a few weeks ago.

It was a great gig. When we finished the first song we received a massive cheer. I think this really spurred us on and gave us confidence to not just play the songs but to entertain as well...if you get my drift. Post gig I had people come up to me and say how good they thought it was, never had that before. 

This was the first time the band had played an established venue having to sell tickets (we usually play pubs) and we were all really chuffed with how it went.  

• Like 6

Yewstock festival on Saturday on drums with Dandelion meow meow. It's always loads of fun with this band. The crowd was a little thin but a few were up dancing. Great sound on stage until the house-bass-amp blew. We had to cut our set short

Deerstock yesterday on drums with Headsticks. Awesome sound on stage and it was going really well until they cut the sound as someone had collapsed

Just getting through the post show let down after a very busy week.I was playing in the orchestra(yup, we had strings) for an amateur production of "Chicago" and although it is a slimmed down and cleaned up version of the Broadway show and is referred to as the "High School Edition", the music and orchestrations are for the most part exactly the same as the Broadway music.Luckily the musicians(14) are experienced players who have played many shows and some play in bands I am in and did a fantastic job with some very demanding music. Listen to the movie soundtrack if you want to get an idea of the level of playing demanded.Last week was three days of rehearsals and three shows.Of course the band had rehearsed a number of times before this.

I was a last minute addition to the band when some extra money became available and I was asked to play...are you ready...tenor banjo!Almost 40 years ago I was very busy gigging with Dixieland type bands in Toronto but I haven't really played any serious banjo music for a long time so the last couple of weeks were real a real workout for me trying to get back some of the licks that I needed for the show and to get back into reading a banjo score instead of bass music.

It was a great experience to do the shows and I had a fantastic time playing some good arrangements with excellent musicians.Three nights of full house with standing O's for cast and orchestra all three nights.On top of that I got back into playing banjo and even had couple of little solos in the show which I managed to play OK.

I guess the point of the story is that if something that sounds interesting is offered to you,go for it because you might not get another opportunity like  it again.

Swing band rehearsal today playing bass and also a few Dixie tunes on banjo.Love it.

As I have said on here before, we are so lucky to have music in our lives and be able to share it and have fun with others when we are playing. I have been gigging for 56 years and still get a thrill.I better go practice now... 

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 6

Busy weekend. We played at a local nightclub, which we had never played before, and expected to be not good, but turned out, it was actually pretty good.

Sunday, we had to play outside at a football club between 3-6. Which, as you know if you are in the south of England, was about OMFG degrees in the shade. 

Turned out that gig was also good, I think I drank about 10 litres of water though. Normally I would wear clothes, but it didn't seem like a great idea. I do however, still love my fireman bass!

untitled-0192.thumb.jpg.76822630c8b207fabcdb3f8162501735.jpg

• Like 1

Both of these gigs should be decent. I'll give my review Sunday Night.

"THIS THURSDAY! 7/26:Maple Road will be serving up some outdoor rockin’ blues from 6pm-9pm @ Bilda’s Friess Lake Pub! Come on out for a great dinner and one of the best beer selections around. Bring a chair, tables fill up fast! New CD “Follow the Moon” is now available! 🍻🎸☀️"

"THEN ON Saturday! 7/28 see Maple Road  @
Washington County Fair
Do Drop In Music Stage
12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m"

IMG_20170702_185337055.jpg

• Like 2

On 24/07/2018 at 16:17, Bluewine said:

Both of these gigs should be decent. I'll give my review Sunday Night.

"THIS THURSDAY! 7/26:Maple Road will be serving up some outdoor rockin’ blues from 6pm-9pm @ Bilda’s Friess Lake Pub! Come on out for a great dinner and one of the best beer selections around. Bring a chair, tables fill up fast! New CD “Follow the Moon” is now available! 🍻🎸☀️"

"THEN ON Saturday! 7/28 see Maple Road  @
Washington County Fair
Do Drop In Music Stage
12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m"

IMG_20170702_185337055.jpg

Both gigs very disappointing for me. I don't think I played well. I had problems hearing myself even staying in tune.

Sorry guys nothing redeeming about these gigs.

Blue

FB_IMG_1532704727556.jpg

Played with the Wirebirds last night - first gig with them for three months (we did play at one of the band member's birthdays, but that wasn't really a gig, just a bit of a jam) and no rehearsals for a year or so - just went straight into it and enjoyed ourselves. The first time we played this venue, a bunch of my biker mates showed up, this time it clashed with a local bike rally, but a few turned up and had a good time, as did the locals and the landlord and his staff. Return there in October. Having broken the fast with last night's gig, we 're closing Faringdon Follyfest this afternoon with a set on the main stage at five. Our 6th consecutive year there.

Last night I played my Alembic Epic through my Barefaced Super Compact and recently acquired ABM 600 head. Next week I'll be playing with the Grateful Dudes at the Summer of Love party in Kent, but with the Super Twin instead of the Compact.

• Like 1

New venue for us, and only 20 mins from home for me.  Was a VERY hot and sweaty night, but we had a great time.  Not a huge turnout but those there were really enthusiastic.  Hopefully we can get back!

Oh, and we threw in an Alex Harvey number, Amos Moses, sung by our very Scottish Drummer, pleasantly surprised at how well it went down :)

37944221_2244419718908810_2833710763523178496_n.jpg

Edited by Oopsdabassist
spelling..as usual!

Played at a charity gig yesterday (on two hours sleep- just finished a night shift). It was outside and not under cover which scared me and half way through the gig it did rain (luckily had an umbrella at the ready for my gear). It was only light though and stopped within the minute. 

Difficult gig - we weren't well rehearsed due to holidays recently, and the wind was playing havoc on the mics... unfortunately as well very few people showed up. It was a real shame as the organisers had forked out a bucket load on entertainment, catering and inflatables. At one point my tiredness tool over as I'd completely forgotten how a bass riff went. Nightmare.

There were three other band's also booked- Sweet Revenge were the main band who sounded incredible. (They got the main tent). They played songs how my band tried to play the songs. 

All in all,  I thoroughly enjoyed it like usual,  but I found it a tough one!

FB_IMG_1532893439583.jpg