Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We played The Underground in Dublin last night. We set off at 5am to catch the 11:30am ferry to Dublin. Got to the venue about 3pm, loaded gear in then went for a relaxing drink in a bar down the road. I had a Hartke LH500 & Hydrive 410 to play through, with my trusty Sansamp Paradriver providing my eq. We went on at 10pm for an hour and it was great, considering we`re an originals band it always amazes me the amount of people singing along with the songs. As we were in Ireland we had a temporary change of one of our songs, Football Beer & Punk Rock to Football Guinness & Punk Rock, which went down very well. Finished at 11pm, chilled for about 30mins then loaded the car, set off to the port for the 2:15 ferry back. Landed in Blighty at 5:45, home at 11:30ish. Tiring but a great day and great gig, the promoters were amazing, really hope they`ll want us back.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, dontregartha said:

We opened for the Sugar Hill Gang at MK11 in Milton Keynes with our Soul/Motown/Funk band.

I've played the venue on open Mic nights, but this was my first foray as a band.

The stage is narrow, but deep enough for us all to have room to move around.

The sound was pretty good too, (awesome house PA) although I would have preferred a bit more definition around the bass tone - the sound guy just mixed it low end.

We had a lighting guy as well, so all in all looked great.

The crowd was great and gave us a real warm welcome, and we got a couple of bookings as well as securing a couple of return gigs as main act at the venue.

The SHG were great, i you like that sort of thing, but they could work the crowd.If you haven't been to MK11, check it out - the lads there run a good, if a little unusual venue.

I saw Lozz's band there a while back, liked the atmosphere a lot..must try and get my lot in there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontregartha said:

We opened for the Sugar Hill Gang at MK11 in Milton Keynes with our Soul/Motown/Funk band.

I've played the venue on open Mic nights, but this was my first foray as a band.

The stage is narrow, but deep enough for us all to have room to move around.

The sound was pretty good too, (awesome house PA) although I would have preferred a bit more definition around the bass tone - the sound guy just mixed it low end.

We had a lighting guy as well, so all in all looked great.

The crowd was great and gave us a real warm welcome, and we got a couple of bookings as well as securing a couple of return gigs as main act at the venue.

The SHG were great, i you like that sort of thing, but they could work the crowd.If you haven't been to MK11, check it out - the lads there run a good, if a little unusual venue.

Yes the in-house guy seems to like low-end bass. My sound is anything but and I`ve had "the discussion" about not DI`ing a flat Precision sound as he would destroy the sound of the band. He`s pretty reasonable though, and once you explain to him what you`re after he works pretty well to get it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Tiring but a great day and great gig, the promoters were amazing, really hope they`ll want us back.

Yes to that definitely hope you guys get to go back. It's always nice to have a slew of proper festival bookings.

Blue

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes the in-house guy seems to like low-end bass. My sound is anything but and I`ve had "the discussion" about not DI`ing a flat Precision sound as he would destroy the sound of the band. He`s pretty reasonable though, and once you explain to him what you`re after he works pretty well to get it.

I wish I was more aware of my house sound. I'll sacrifice low end for sustain for some songs. I'm after what Tom Petersson does for Cheap Trick making the band sound bigger with bass octave , overdrive and even a little modulation from my TC Electronics Hall Of Fame Reverb.

For those interested you check out some of Pertersson's rig run downs on YouTube.

Hard to believe for so many years I was a Precision straight to amp stand back by the drummer finger player.

Blue

• Like 1

Well I think I redeemed myself after my disasterous gig of last week.  Back at the same venue, but with a different band this time.  

We did a whole (short) set of Everly Brothers covers this time. Great fun to play, but not too technically tricky.  All went very well, I really enjoyed myself and I think the punters did too. I had a couple of friends in the audience which was nice, including the estimable BC'er Kev B!  So it was all jolly good fun :-)

• Like 2

Keep forgetting to post in here.
Double header last week.
We had a "Ladies day at Ascot" party on Thursday. Everyone smashed by the time we got there. Early start (6pm)  and early finish (8pm). Played 2 hours straight by request.
Not a good sign though, when you've just loaded your gear in, haven't even started setting up, and the owner says "you're going to have to keep it quiet you know?!" 
Probably best you didn't book a 5 piece band then mate!
Very surreal. It was based in a Victorian mansion, that had been renovated, big stone walls surrounding it. Set inside a brand new housing estate?!?! WTF?!?
Amazing venue, and honestly, when you're inside, you could be in anywhere. Open the big wooden doors to get to the "outside", and there a dog pissing on someones bin bag. Really weird.
Saturday was a bit more of our normal affair.
Wedding in a big marquee set outside in a field. Lovely 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FuNkShUi said:

Keep forgetting to post in here.
Double header last week.
We had a "Ladies day at Ascot" party on Thursday. Everyone smashed by the time we got there. Early start (6pm)  and early finish (8pm). Played 2 hours straight by request.
Not a good sign though, when you've just loaded your gear in, haven't even started setting up, and the owner says "you're going to have to keep it quiet you know?!" 
Probably best you didn't book a 5 piece band then mate!
Very surreal. It was based in a Victorian mansion, that had been renovated, big stone walls surrounding it. Set inside a brand new housing estate?!?! WTF?!?
Amazing venue, and honestly, when you're inside, you could be in anywhere. Open the big wooden doors to get to the "outside", and there a dog pissing on someones bin bag. Really weird.
Saturday was a bit more of our normal affair.
Wedding in a big marquee set outside in a field. Lovely 

Had something similar to this recently at a verrry posh country club.  Organisers were, don't worry about the level, it will be fine - we do the sound check in front of them and they give the thumbs up.  The crowd starts to role in however and it's clear it won't be so we pull the volume down a few notches - on the quiet side of quiet.  During the first spot despite reigning it in still further half of the crowd (the half on the top side of 75) depart to the bar lounge; at the interval we get a number of comments on the volume etc.  By the second spot we had pulled the volume so far down that I could hear my singing without the PA..... 

• Like 1

Gig with my regular dep band but a 70% new set due to a Dep singer

Had three nights to brush up on set and i learn by ear.

went down well considering the set included Bat out of hell full version and we're a 4 piece(bass guitar drums vocals) !!

We closed the Tackley Beer Festival on Sunday.

A good fun gig and the (gluten free) beer was great.

Unfortunately our photographer couldn't get a complete picture of the band on the trailer (technical issues I believe)

So just my smiling face I'm afraid.

Regards,

Doug

1875_Doug.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, irvined said:

We closed the Tackley Beer Festival on Sunday.

A good fun gig and the (gluten free) beer was great.

Unfortunately our photographer couldn't get a complete picture of the band on the trailer (technical issues I believe)

So just my smiling face I'm afraid.

Regards,

Doug

1875_Doug.jpg

Getting a full band pic is difficult. I'd rather see good individual pics like this one. Thumbs Up!

Blue

Well, if we're showing photos, here is one of last Friday's gig, a young photographer caught some good moments from the side of the stage as well as more conventional shots from out front. I like the atmosphere of this shot.

IMG_1999.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, well, if it's ancient history being posted, here's me playing my Verithin in the village square, with our singster playing my drums. 2003 (who knows where the time goes..? :$ )...

HjI1Xyf.jpg

:lol: :P

Edited by Dad3353

On Sunday we played at a really well-attended local family fun day.

We were put forward for the gig a while ago, but the organisers opted for a bunch of local lads, who were dirt cheap.
The day before the gig they cancelled, and I got a tip off to ring the organiser.
I mentioned our quite reasonable fee and he gulped (even though he was on the spot).
I then mentioned we had done the local beer festival for the last two years and look to be established there for some time to come.
He cheered up and said 'great, that's a deal'.

We turned up on the day and we went down fine, had a great time and finished in time to head off and do our jam night down the road.

I asked the organiser who the band were who let him down, when he paid us.
He didn't name them but said it was "a bunch of local lads who hadn't realised it would clash with the England game".

36200063_2111809048833457_90629300717690

A few piccies from me.

The first is playing in the Isle of Wight on a mini tour that we did last weekend.

20180619_172027.jpg

This next is when we did an acoustic gig, also in the Isle of Wight. This time playing my Kala UBass.

1.thumb.JPG.c0d8169633dc038b5c6654b7829c11f9.JPG

This is when we shot a live video on the rooftop of some building 😁

32331966_10214818134621203_7361908750929625088_n.jpg

This is playing at Victoria Day in Aldershot a few weeks back.

34985156_261543484589616_8092804316605186048_o.thumb.jpg.fbba936b85ade8e85d29ed68eeccb5de.jpg

Edited by Linus27

3 hours ago, Linus27 said:

A few piccies from me.

The first is playing in the Isle of Wight on a mini tour that we did last weekend.

20180619_172027.jpg

This next is when we did an acoustic gig, also in the Isle of Wight. This time playing my Kala UBass.

1.thumb.JPG.c0d8169633dc038b5c6654b7829c11f9.JPG

This is when we shot a live video on the rooftop of some building 😁

32331966_10214818134621203_7361908750929625088_n.jpg

This is playing at Victoria Day in Aldershot a few weeks back.

34985156_261543484589616_8092804316605186048_o.thumb.jpg.fbba936b85ade8e85d29ed68eeccb5de.jpg

Great pics, I have that strap too. I never thought much about that strap but I saw a video from the 70s and Alvin Lee had one. And now seeing yours I'm going to start sporting my Fender Strap. Mine came with my American Standard Telecaster, which I never use and should sell.

It looks very cool especially with the color of your P Bass.

By the way, love the blazers and ties look, Smooth!

Blue

Edited by Bluewine