Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Absolutely bouncing double-headliner gig with Let There Be/DC at Warsop's Black Market Venue - a nice big stage/in house lighting and PA, great engineer and a very appreciative crowd.  I'll definitely miss gigging with these guys when the time comes to say goodbye.  

Edited by DaytonaRik

Saturday Night at Pillars Pub.

A 5 minute commute, 8:30-12:30.

People poured in at 8:30 and we had a respectable crowd through the duration.

The place use to be a Church. So the high ceilings and a ton of stained glass made getting our sound right a challenge. We we're probably way to loud.

Blue

FB_IMG_1511539881272.jpg

IMG_20171126_223613.jpg

Two gigs with the rock covers band over the weekend (in Manchester and Rotherham), both 50th birthday parties in good venues with a stage, in-house PA, etc. Manchester was notable for me doing a Dave Grohl and falling off the stage during the soundcheck. Fortunately not too badly hurt and able to do the show but definitely not a good idea! Rotherham was a three band affair with a shared drum kit (I even ended up using the headliners bass rig in the end to save time) – could have been a disaster but ended up being a good night.

A couple of photos from Rotherham below

BTTW Rotherham.jpg

BTTW Rotherham 2.jpg

First gig out with my new 50's Lacquer Precision and EBS amp last night. A nice lively rock pub in Essex....we had a great night and it sounded good. Even the other band guys noticed and a few bass players in the audience said it sounded good. Happy days..

5a2486639c669_vernondecember5.jpg.cb7017df0962c674ec825b9abeb65d45.jpg5a24860ad15e9_vernondecember16.jpg.7fd39c54266a118355e7d1c6d99f280c.jpg5a2485ede315e_vernondecember3.jpg.912ccc84085aa8d91cfb8288dd891cc4.jpg

11 hours ago, peteb said:

Two gigs with the rock covers band over the weekend (in Manchester and Rotherham), both 50th birthday parties in good venues with a stage, in-house PA, etc. Manchester was notable for me doing a Dave Grohl and falling off the stage during the soundcheck. Fortunately not too badly hurt and able to do the show but definitely not a good idea! Rotherham was a three band affair with a shared drum kit (I even ended up using the headliners bass rig in the end to save time) – could have been a disaster but ended up being a good night.

A couple of photos from Rotherham below

BTTW Rotherham.jpg

BTTW Rotherham 2.jpg

Nice pics Pete.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine

We were at an all day event on Saturday, warming up the good people of Stony Stratford waiting for the Xmas lights to be turned on, 1st band on the bass player was also playing BF cabs through an Orange Terror, sounded great. Dunno if he is on here on not though!

Also had proper sound man for the event, so that made things easier, we were on quite early so not many people around but what a great atmosphere, best part was local radio station were on hand so we had 2 songs on the radio and an interview after our set in the pub next to stage, so lively banter and beer in hand, missus was listening at home chuckling to herself apparently!!

24210238_10154954023446319_7716360105957779773_o.jpg

Very strange gig on Saturday.  Booked to play an officers mess mess christmas do, the usual happens , everything overuns and we end up doing 50 mins rather than 2 hours.  Makes one wonder why events book a band when the puinters don't care and are quite happy with a disco...ahh well I'll take there money.

1 hour ago, nightsun said:

Very strange gig on Saturday.  Booked to play an officers mess mess christmas do, the usual happens , everything overuns and we end up doing 50 mins rather than 2 hours.  Makes one wonder why events book a band when the puinters don't care and are quite happy with a disco...ahh well I'll take there money.

Take the money, especially if you got paid for the 2 hours.

Blue

1 hour ago, nightsun said:

It happens.

Off topic, private party bookings, I like them because they pay well. For us anywhere from $800.00 to $1,000.00.

The bad part is they're usually initiated by a punter that hears us and loves us and books us for a private event.

They never consider their guests might have no interest in our genre or live music period.

Blue

Lots of multi band events here. How does that work?

Do these events generate enough cash to pay all these bands, is there a cover charge at the door?

We don't have many if any multi band events in my area outside of Festival Season.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

6 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Lots of multi band events here. How does that work?

Blue

Well from the pic in my post, behind the stage is a small area where the drummer set his kit up, his personal bit of carpet has marks on it so he can position his stuff very quickly, we had 15 mins between performers to tear down and set up, and luckily for us, the guy on just before us was a solo performer, so we set up at same time as him, my Zoom B3 was DI'd into the desk and the guitarist was miked into desk too.  It went very smoothly and we just about had enough time to squeeze an extra song in too!!

3 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Well from the pic in my post, behind the stage is a small area where the drummer set his kit up, his personal bit of carpet has marks on it so he can position his stuff very quickly, we had 15 mins between performers to tear down and set up, and luckily for us, the guy on just before us was a solo performer, so we set up at same time as him, my Zoom B3 was DI'd into the desk and the guitarist was miked into desk too.  It went very smoothly and we just about had enough time to squeeze an extra song in too!!

Cool, sounds effecient.

Blue

We did an all day multi band gig on Saturday. It's my favourite local venue (The Rigger) and I always love the sound here (I hope Matt's not reading :) ) so I was really looking forward to it. It's not the biggest place and it was packed with people who were well up for it, so really it should have been ace, and it was from the audience's POV, but I was going crazy with my bass drum. I'd supplied the kit for the whole day, but couldn't get there until 6ish as I was recording a band in my studio. I don't know who'd set up the bass drum but by the time I got there the nut had stripped entirely on one leg. I didn't realise what was happening until right near the end of our set. A compadre (with ear plugs!!) came to hold it in place for me for the last song, so that was great, and then Matt the sound man figured out what had gone wrong, and we replaced the nut with one from my tom-mount, so it was fine for the two bands on after us...

Maybe it was the fact I'd been loading gear at 8AM and know I'd be hanging around to get it out until at least 11:30PM, followed by a session from 8:30AM Sunday. I need some sleep!

Anyway, all the other bands were great and it seemed like everyone was having a great time. Hopefully we'll do it again and I'll be able to make sure my gear's OK for when I play :)

Not a formal gig but helped out a mate with an open mic night, turnout of other musicians was low so we ended up doing a bit over an hour in around twenty minutes slots. I took my own bass but used the house rig. I was keen to do well as we are booked in there in January (Landlord is a top bloke and really wants the pub to become a venue for live music so happy to support where I can). Unfortunately from where I was standing the sound was terrible, having little control over it threw me as well. There were several points when I was thinking ‘bloody hell. If they are hearing what I am hearing we won’t be back’ but the feedback was very positive and apparently FOH sound was very good, where I was all I could hear was a muffled bass heavy sound with the vocals over the top and occasional kick in of the lead guitar. I tried backing my volume down so I could get what seemed a better sound to me but then I was too quiet out front. Luckily my father in law was there with me and he was in a band for years so could give good feedback on the sound. Needless to say when we play there in January I will be taking my own rig.

Edited by T-Bay

On 11/20/2017 at 18:11, Bluewine said:

Hi Pete,

I didn't know you did biker bar gigs.

Always nice to hear about those of us down in the trenches.

Daryl

My kid brother Brian works a lot of biker bars in central florida. Says most of them are a fun gig.  AND they get paid on the night in $$$$

On 12/4/2017 at 09:01, nightsun said:

Did one of these years ago in the seventies when I was in a Country Rock originals band. Lord knows why the agent booked us for it, but we wound up driving through a snow storm to this RAF camp and played to the two couples who actually sat down to dine. All rather sad, but we got paid and were allowed to leave when the four punters had gone. 

Back on topic: Last gig (Thursday so a bit late) was at the Flying Pig, a tiny pub in Cambridge. Absolutely crammed & I was in the mood to do more Gulf Coast country boogie than usual... went down great, even when I switched to motown halfway through the second set.  What was really nice was that along with my usual rhythm players we had Chris Newman late of the Climax Blues Band on second guitar! A lovely player.  Cant believe how much fun and how little money we are getting from these gigs. 

Nice Climax Blues band link here....Guy I work with married Pate Haycocks sister back in the 70's, still together now, and their son got into Blues guitar and was gifted a lovely Strat by Pete a few years back to encourage him to play, must be worth a fortune now!

Last gig of the year for us, and given how cold it got ( started snowing on way home) the gig was hot and sweaty all night, the party people were def out in force and we had a blast!

24883391_10154970196806319_7641783802282404138_o.jpg

We played in Warsop on Friday night. We were supposed to be on at 10:30 for an hour but the whole thing was over an hour behind. I had to get up at 5:30AM for a flight. I got to bed around 2:30AM - I should have been a bit grumpy about it, but the drums sound so good in this room I really enjoyed it! There's something about a well tuned kit in a massive room. 

Last night I played at Newcastle Cathedral as part of a concert raising money for a cancer charity. There was music, comedy and Christmassy stuff.

Amongst other things, we were asked if we would do Fairytale of New York with a wonderful guest vocalist. I love the song, but it's pretty complex, and we only had piano, acoustic guitar, bass and voices to make it work.

But I think it came out pretty well...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Last night I played at Newcastle Cathedral as part of a concert raising money for a cancer charity. There was music, comedy and Christmassy stuff.

Amongst other things, we were asked if we would do Fairytale of New York with a wonderful guest vocalist. I love the song, but it's pretty complex, and we only had piano, acoustic guitar, bass and voices to make it work.

But I think it came out pretty well...

That's great, nicely done with lots of feeling. Well done ?

Was one of three deps in a four piece band playing in a large pub in Reading last night. Completely unrehearsed and not even a set list, just songs and keys called and busked on the spot. Went surprisingly well, good low pressure gig, paid on the spot, good crowd and back home soon after midnight which wasn't bad for a 35 mile post gig drive. Looks like more in the pipeline as well.

Played the sunburst/rosewood/tort Precision I got from Josh on here last week, wonderful bottom end that was shaking the stage. I think it's promoted to 'favourite bass' after its first gig with me!

Edited by FinnDave

Absolutely mental, at the verge between being very good and very bad. Local pub, normally a bit busy, but no clear line between stage and audience, with people knocking the microphones a lot and one drunk guy insisting on crashing into us often, to the point where he went flying over a monitor and ended up almost knocking the drumkit over getting back up, and in the process, almost getting a good kicking from the drummer.

Luckily, two women who were enjoying the gig took it upon themselves to act as bouncers and stop it, after which it was pretty good.

Also the first outing of the gibson EB5, which it turns out, is rather good as a bass!