Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Not long back from another Friday night gig. Much better than last Friday, but not as good as last Saturday. I was feeling very tired, and the heat in the pub didn't help, and for some reason I had decided to use a Precision for the first set and a Thunderbird for the second. Despite my years of playing Ps, I knew it was a mistake from the first song, so glad to change in the break. I started the second set with next to no sound, until I discovered that I'd plugged into the active socket on the amp instead of the passive! All went smoothly once that was sorted.

Not so many people there as the last couple of times we've payed the venue, but the landlord was happy and wants us back in the new year.

Edited by FinnDave

My gig last night was... double booked, and we were the ones that didn't play. Allegedly the landlady tried to message us but didn't get a response - unlikely as nobody had any calls or texts, and no messages through Facebook either. Drummer turned up first and couldn't understand why there were two blokes giving him such strange looks as he dragged his stands bag through the door, until he looked round to see the other band's kit there.

To cap it all we've now had to cancel our gig tonight as the keys player is ill - he was already looking a bit rough last night, but I'd thought that was just the disappointment of driving for an hour only to have to turn straight round and go home. The Bell in Pontypool if anyone in South Wales is looking for a gig - I've posted about it over on the Gigs forum.

Played a wedding with an old band I'd previously left... It was a small half full pub but a fair few were up dancing & I even took my first live lead vocal in 28yrs of gigging. The band was better than I remembered (thankfully the drummer now practices) and I enjoyed the show.

Rubbish, just wanted it to end whilst playing - a sound limiter and an indifferent audience made for a crap night. Plus, the one monitor we had was over by me so I could hear the DI'd bass, but it meant the guitarist couldn't hear his backing vocals well, so was out of tune sometimes (including unfortunatley, the first song).

Had a punter come up to me afterwards and ask, in a friendly way, why I played a five string. I was amazed he'd noticed :lol:

He did compliment us and we got a wedding booking out of it, so it can't have been all bad, but it didn't feel good when we were up there.

Last night was our singer's last gig after seven and a half years with the band as he's just joined the police force.
Fortunately he was able to finish on a high and we played an absolute stormer to a small but packed pub. The very appreciative crowd danced, sang along and cheered all night and we played really well.
I also got to try out my new amp (Ashdown ABM500 which I just got in a trade with another BCer) and it sounded earthshakingly epic.

Mixed emotions with a fantastic gig but sad that our singer, who is also a very close friend, is leaving.

A bit blurry but managed to quickly snap this pic of the crowd during a breakdown.

Two this past weekend.
Friday night gig was so close to my pad I took the gear round on a sack truck. Small but well-packed pub. Went down a treat. Much too loud.
Saturday in Okehampton, much larger pub, with a stage! Single 2.5 hour set, so the punters didn't decamp. Very hot! Went down a treat. Much too loud.

Load up the car, get changed, make sure I filled the car up as it was a 25 mile away one (which is unusual for us). Get in the car, start the car, realise the address for that venue isn't in the satnav, as it is the first time since changing the car that I have gone back to that, so decide to look up the address on the gig calendar, find out that the gig is next weekend.
Stop the car, unload, go in and watch the telly!

At least I didn't get there :)

Along with every other band in Nottingham, we played (twice) the annual 'Hockley Hustle' Festival. 200 bands, 35 mostly ad-hoc venues spread across half a dozen streets in what passes for the groovy bit of Nottingham. Irrespective of our reception (which was good but rather polite on account of the world-music ghetto we get lumped into - despite the Black Metal leanings of our drummer and pretty much everything else about the actual music aside from it not being sung in English), the day really restored my faith in live original music. No empty rooms here. I saw packed houses for really confrontational and generally fairly weird bands and venues were even turning people away due to over-capacity... Although the BBC Introducing stage was backing the the safest and most generic cottage cheese indie of course. We played at 4 and again at 10.15, so I'm pretty exhausted, but it was clear that we are well rehearsed up at the moment and hit our weird groove right away and I no longer fear using a looper pedal live. Load in / out was hard work though, since all the roads around Hockley were closed for the duration and the streets were rammed with people / street performers. Another all-dayer next Saturday.

Edited by radiophonic

The Flapper, in Birmingham on Friday. It's a cool venue I'd heard about but never been. Pretty good sound, nice sound guy. It should have been a good one but I just don't think the two support acts were a good fit at all, and it was really quite loud. A lot of people paid to get in but they seemed to be back and forth to the bar upstairs a lot. Anyway, I had fun

I've been ill recently so not ideal prep for a Saturday night gig in lovely Bramdean (village near Winchester). It was the keyboard player's sister-in-law's 50th and we were playing in a large marquee with a stage and dancefloor.
Load in and soundcheck was 10am and the venue is an hour+ (once I've picked up the guitarist)) from Salisbury so early start and then back home about 2pm!
Back to Bramdean for 9pm (with guitarist) and the nerves + anxiety about playing ill kick in so didn't join in with beer sampling and food that was on offer (lovely, apparently). Band members showing concern by now so guitarist said I could sit on his cab during the gig as I've got one10s and they're not great to sit on! 10pm comes around and we start with 'everybody needs somebody' and it's funny how music can just lift you up, maybe it's Duck Dunn's bassline but from the first note until the last (a low E, 500 miles!) 2 hours later, I felt the best I'd been all week!
Dancefloor was busy with young and old, keyboard player's mother-in-law is 82 and had a boogie! Our singer put his mic down and had a bop too. I even managed to stand up for the last 5 or 6 tunes myself!
Everyone had a great time, dismantle, load out and back home for 2am. I'm enjoying the function band life, bonfire night next with a dep keyboard player. Bring it on!

Oxjam. Beeston Takeover. We benefited from a 9pm slot - so people probably weren't shifting venues by that point and were several beers into their evening. Not note perfect. Lousy monitor mix. Cramped stage area. Vigorous but slightly ahead of the beat audience clapping at one point threw the violinist - she followed their tempo rather than the intrinsic tempo (classical players get bothered by details like this). But basically we totally rocked it. Fantastic audience reaction.

Just back from another Swindon gig. Only booked to do this one a couple of days ago as the band originally booked have a member sick. Not surprisingly, there weren't many there, but those that were were quite enthusiastic. Two 45 min sets, paid and packed up, home at midnight, not bad for a gig 40 mins drive away! Only out of the house for 5 hours, almost a record. Not a tremendously satisfying gig, our 4th time at the same venue this year and the smallest crowd by far, but we played well enough.

Next gig is in Oxford next Thursday.

Our Madness tribute/ska band had a great gig on Friday.

The place was pretty packed (120) and it's a small place but lovely pub (I heartily recommend The Nightingale in Sutton, Surrey). The crowd were appreciative and there was some good banter and I'd say at least half of those present were mates.

The fun part was the stage. I'd say it fits a comfortable 3, an ok 4 but there were 7 of us! I found myself holding the bass almost upright quite a bit of the time to avoid hitting the PA speakers. This gave me cramp and I momentarily dropped out a few times (not good) but we had loads of fun.

I wasn't enamored with my bass sound though and once again, I find myself wanting a Spector Euro.

[quote name='Kebabkid' timestamp='1508100135' post='3389784']
Our Madness tribute/ska band had a great gig on Friday.

The place was pretty packed (120) and it's a small place but lovely pub (I heartily recommend The Nightingale in Sutton, Surrey). The crowd were appreciative and there was some good banter and I'd say at least half of those present were mates.

The fun part was the stage. I'd say it fits a comfortable 3, an ok 4 but there were 7 of us! I found myself holding the bass almost upright quite a bit of the time to avoid hitting the PA speakers. This gave me cramp and I momentarily dropped out a few times (not good) but we had loads of fun.

I wasn't enamored with my bass sound though and once again, I find myself wanting a Spector Euro.
[/quote]

I play there regularly and it’s a great little venue with a very appreciative crowd! We are a five piece with keys and it’s a tight fit, I tend to drop my rig off the “stage” to the left as you stand on it and then stand in front of the keys who sets up in the left corner. Our singer tends to stand off stage so it’s not too bad. Keys player has to crawl under his stands though which is fun, luckily he uses in ears for all his sound so no rig following him around. I heard a lot of good things on my Facebook about your band so I’m sure you’re in for a return!! They do a 4pm Sunday session and that’s always a good crack too, sausages and roasties at half time!! Haven’t had one yet but if you get there earlier I hear the Thai food is very good!

Cheers @barneyg42 and which band are you in?

Yep, our keyboard player was crawling under his keys and stands to get in place!

Corinne and her bar staff are lovely and it's like and old-fashioned, warm and friendly boozer in there. Considering Sutton Town Centre is minutes away and resembles a war zone at the weekend, this pub sticks out like a sore thumb and I'm glad it exists. We also play regularly at The Windsor Castle down the road from there in Carshalton. It's ok there, too.

The Thai food at The Nightingale is very good and authentic and reasonably priced. Some of the band got take out for when we'd finished.

We've played there twice and on both occasions, it was a Friday night. As 2 of our guys come in from Bedford and St Albans respectively and one of them is keeper of the PA, it's a hike for them and hard work loading up and traffic-wise on Fridays so we may go for a Sunday spot for the next one and apparently, that's the busier session of the two (they don't have live music on Saturdays).

Small world :)

Edited by Kebabkid

Saturday night was a "living wake" which is a new concept for me. Still, it was a very cheerful affair, rather boozy and sweaty

Last night was my first ever gig on electric guitar. I was so nervous it might as well have been my first ever gig. I got away with it though. I'm not sure if I like being at the front and taking solos!

[quote name='Kebabkid' timestamp='1508104247' post='3389829']
Cheers @barneyg42 and which band are you in?

Yep, our keyboard player was crawling under his keys and stands to get in place!

Corinne and her bar staff are lovely and it's like and old-fashioned, warm and friendly boozer in there. Considering Sutton Town Centre is minutes away and resembles a war zone at the weekend, this pub sticks out like a sore thumb and I'm glad it exists. We also play regularly at The Windsor Castle down the road from there in Carshalton. It's ok there, too.

The Thai food at The Nightingale is very good and authentic and reasonably priced. Some of the band got take out for when we'd finished.

We've played there twice and on both occasions, it was a Friday night. As 2 of our guys come in from Bedford and St Albans respectively and one of them is keeper of the PA, it's a hike for them and hard work loading up and traffic-wise on Fridays so we may go for a Sunday spot for the next one and apparently, that's the busier session of the two (they don't have live music on Saturdays).

Small world :)
[/quote]

My band is Asylum Affair, we’re there on 3rd November although I’m being depped at the moment due to illness. Yeah you do get looked after there, Corrines daughter Kerry is a sweetheart too, we all have some great Facebook banter! Likewise we do the Windsor, much easier to fit the band in there and we tend to get a lot of the Nighty crowd down as it’s a Saturday. We also do the Cock and Bull in the town, never had any problems there despite the location, in fact we’re doing New Year’s Eve there this year. Should be a good one!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1508142512' post='3389947']
Saturday night was a "living wake" which is a new concept for me. Still, it was a very cheerful affair, rather boozy and
[/quote]

I saw the photos of that on fb, looked good. Our maty popped up again to bang his bin lid, I take it you managed to keep him off your stage this time.... ;)