Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Local beer festival , nice easy 10 minute drive . We were the first band, played to absolutely no punters just a few uninterested staff. Did our agreed 1 hour set and packed the gear away in pouring rain.
Got paid, went home, waste of time.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1502051783' post='3349047']

I hate it when that happens. :(
[/quote]

It was payback for him keep changing the patch on my multi-effects unit whilst I was playing 😉 today, I managed to remove all of his cymbals and just leave him the 8" splash.

[quote name='Buzzy' timestamp='1502051884' post='3349048']
Local beer festival , nice easy 10 minute drive . We were the first band, played to absolutely no punters just a few uninterested staff. Did our agreed 1 hour set and packed the gear away in pouring rain.
Got paid, went home, waste of time.
[/quote]

Been there. Feel for you.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1502052797' post='3349055']
It was payback for him keep changing the patch on my multi-effects unit whilst I was playing �� today, I managed to remove all of his cymbals and just leave him the 8" splash.
[/quote]

No-one (including myself...) touches my cymbals with their bare hands; they're protected by '[url="http://cymbag.com"]Cymbags[/url]' until the moment we start, and covered up immediately afterwards. Once sullied, they cannot be cleaned and retain their original tone, so I don't let 'em get dirty. :sleep:
On the other hand, I wouldn't go around changing multi-effects patches either, so... :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1502053457' post='3349061']

No-one (including myself...) touches my cymbals with their bare hands; they're protected by '[url="http://cymbag.com"]Cymbags[/url]' until the moment we start, and covered up immediately afterwards. Once sullied, they cannot be cleaned and retain their original tone, so I don't let 'em get dirty. :sleep:
On the other hand, I wouldn't go around changing multi-effects patches either, so... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Exactly, don't mess with the bass player😉

However, I've just bought a second hand K custom dark crash that's absolutely filthy and it sounds fabulous.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1502054691' post='3349068']...a second hand K custom dark crash that's absolutely filthy and it sounds fabulous.
[/quote]

Then protect it in its current state, or risk changing its sound for ever (but maybe for the better..? Who knows..? ([i]taps side of nose knowingly[/i]...)).

Rebellion festival yesterday. We were first on in the arena stage. It's such a good festival but I had a wedding to attend the night before, and my lift had to shoot off straight after so I didn't really get to experience the atmosphere much, or see any other bands.

Anyway, it was ace, great sound guys, great gear, I'm on drums and the shared kit was freshly skinned and well tuned which is brilliant

I played a sh*t-hole in Wardour Street, London on Saturday night. St Moritz. It was a dungeon with a labyrinth of rooms and the place stank very badly of cheese, so much so that I actually gagged when we went down there initially.

Stage was about ten foot square, about a foot high. There was a fecking great aircon unit on the low ceiling over the stage ('Over six feet tall? Mind your head then.'). Vocalist insisted on standing on the stage, knocking into everyone, terrible sound, just terrible.

We only did it because we thought it would look good on our CV. I'd rather have stayed home and watched the athletics.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1502102244' post='3349277']
I played a sh*t-hole in Wardour Street, London on Saturday night. St Moritz. It was a dungeon with a labyrinth of rooms and the place stank very badly of cheese, so much so that I actually gagged when we went down there initially.

Stage was about ten foot square, about a foot high. There was a fecking great aircon unit on the low ceiling over the stage ('Over six feet tall? Mind your head then.'). Vocalist insisted on standing on the stage, knocking into everyone, terrible sound, just terrible.

We only did it because we thought it would look good on our CV. I'd rather have stayed home and watched the athletics.
[/quote]

Did you get paid?

Blue

Played Sunday night on the platform of the station in Bury, outside the Trackside pub. Very odd arrangement - it was lashing down, but the roof's huge, so all good. Livened up a treat later (see 'lashing down' earlier) and we got a private birthday party booking and a wedding out of it, so all good. In-ears, DI only into the PA, lots of patches via the X32 triggered per song by the guitarist, sounded great. Minimum heavy lifting (1 sub, two tops, that was it) fast setup and breakdown. It's the future, I tell 'ee... :)

Just back from a gig in a brewery. The free beer was great, and the audience was pretty good too. Our second time there, and hopefully not our last. I tried my Barefaced Super Twin with an Ashdown Rootmaster 800 and was surprised at how good it sounded, really tight and punchy and plenty of volume. I bought the app to go with my Super Compact as a replacement for a heavy combo, now I am questioning whether I really need the ABM 600 I bought recently!

Still awake despite rehearsing 10.00 - 14.00 with one band and then gigging 20.00 - 23.00 with another! I expect I'll be paying for that tomorrow.

Solo gig at local cafe/pub thing on vocals and acoustic guitar. First time using Boss RC-1 looper pedal I bought a few days back.

All well and good for the first half when there's fewer people and you can hear yourself - less successful during rowdy second half so in reverted to mashing out the hits on my acoustic guitar.

Decent enough gig tho. A few other local musos popped by which was cool. Nice early finish at 9.30pm and home by 10pm with a cuppa.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1502694556' post='3352835']
bass biscuits - I`m beginning to wonder if this isnt the future for me too. Plenty of small cafe gigs in nearby Cambridge... Did they provide a PA or do you have to take your own?
[/quote]

This particular one was PA provided along with a bloke who did the sound and even played some cajon on a few tunes.

I've got a little PA of my own which does the job for small gigs too as a couple of my other regular ones don't provide one.

I do love proper band gigs as a bassist but over the years I've racked up enough songs I can enjoy playing on guitar and singing that it's a no brainer not to get some gigs out of it.

Nice to have the choice tho.

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Looking forward to playing tonight after a month's break and it gets cancelled with three hours notice because the new management have decided not to have live music. Not happy.[/font][/color]

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1502102244' post='3349277']
[/quote]

Oh, St Moritz. Strange little place. Never played there myself, but I've been a few times as I have a couple of friends whose band play there every so often. Quite baffling, as said friends are about 6'3 and 6'6, and the bassist isn't exactly short either...I can only presume that it's the smaller singer/rhythm guitarist who's dealing with their bookings, as I found it more than a touch claustrophobic*!

* as well as, not particularly well suited for amplified music, given its echoing, cavelike nature...

Last night we had the most aggro I've had at an Edinburgh gig, oddly enough whilst doing a barely amped acoustic trio set in a tiny pub on Rose Street. It was fine until a group of guys in their 40s and 50s came in. They were conservatively dressed middle class guys of the sort you might see going to the rugby. I think it was one of those things where a group of work mates go out and drink rounds and no-one wants to admit that they can't really hold their drink. First they were shouting requests at us (we don't do requests), then trying to sing over us, then one of the drunker of the party stumbled into the guitar player. The guitar player is no shrinking violet, and some curt words were had. The bar staff then told them that none of the group would be served, but didn't explicitly tell them to leave. Just when we thought things were starting to calm down, we ended up with one of them squaring up to the band and threatening the guitarist as his friends tried to usher him out of the door. About half of the party (who had already been served) stayed around giving us dirty looks for the next hour while the others hung around outside.
No-one got hurt, but the gig was no fun at all and not worth what they were paying us. I do think the bar staff could have dealt with things better too.

Edited by Beer of the Bass