Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Cheers for that Tim, thoroughly enjoyed it. Looks bitterly cold as i could see the singers breath when he was singing.

Great voice too, deep and powerful when it needs to be and soft and gentle at other points.

The various acoustic instruments work exceptionally well with the songs. 

Great idea using the old church too.

Brilliant stuff

Dave

• Thanks 1

Back on "The Rock", at Starr Sports, Canvey Island on Saturday.  A very enjoyable night. We've played there a few times, but for some reason, this was the most fun I've (and we've) had there. I don't think I stopped moving and bouncing around all evening while playing. Everything fell into place, set up was easy, as was sound check, with a receptive audience with people dancing from the start and kept going all night. I spoke to a couple of people who said they had seen us before elsewhere and came to this venue especially to see us... which is nice.

Obligatory "tonight's office" pic attached.

IMG_0645.jpeg

• Like 13

Saturday (so not quite last night, sorry) was the very first ever gig for my new project Pop Punk Prty. It was, in my estimation, a little too early to be 'out there' and we all felt very unrehearsed. However, it was better than I expected! If we play like that on our 5th gig I'll be annoyed, but for a first gig I'll take it.

Rig was my trusty (and suitably pastel green) SB-2 into my HX Stomp. Everyone on IEMs apart from me (I have soundman duties) so I've got one of my QSC wedges. To complete the rig there's genuine 00's baggy jeans that were sourced by my wonderful friends at Tender Hooligan.

Gosh I'm fat.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 13

47 minutes ago, Jack said:

Saturday (so not quite last night, sorry) was the very first ever gig for my new project Pop Punk Prty. It was, in my estimation, a little too early to be 'out there' and we all felt very unrehearsed. However, it was better than I expected! If we play like that on our 5th gig I'll be annoyed, but for a first gig I'll take it.

Rig was, my trusty (and suitably pastel green) SB-2 into my HX Stomp. Everyone on IEMs apart from me (I have soundman duties) so I've got one of my QSC wedges. To complete the rig there's genuine 00's baggy jeans that were sourced by my wonderful friends at Tender Hooligan.

Gosh I'm fat.

Thanks for sharing the videos.  I enjoyed that - my type of music and you played well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Rig was, my trusty (and suitably pastel green) SB-2 into my HX Stomp. Everyone on IEMs apart from me (I have soundman duties) so I've got one of my QSC wedges. To complete the rig there's genuine 00's baggy jeans that were sourced by my wonderful friends at Tender Hooligan.

Gosh I'm fat.

Sounds good to me.

• Like 2

Went to the Earl Haig jam night and did a few songs with James Oliver, none of which I had heard before. "Do you know Nadine?" "Never met her!" I have jammed with him before, but still a bit intimidating as in the last month he's done gigs with Horace Panter and Norman Watt-Roy on bass 😱

Went ok though!

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Went to the Earl Haig jam night and did a few songs with James Oliver, none of which I had heard before. "Do you know Nadine?" "Never met her!" I have jammed with him before, but still a bit intimidating as in the last month he's done gigs with Horace Panter and Norman Watt-Roy on bass 😱

Went ok though!

James is hilarious! Was he looking okay? Hasn’t been well of late.

• Like 1

Got a call from a friend yesterday afternoon asking if I could dep at a local social club last night.

They have a rock’n’roll night on Wednesdays which is quite well attended, and I’ve depped there

before. Just a 3 piece band (guitar, bass, drums), and when I arrived I found out it was a dep

drummer too, who turned out to be an old mate who played with me in the same band years ago.

Had a cracking gig, both musically and socially. Two 45 minute sets, nice people and well paid!
Used my Danelectro Longhorn into a Fender Rumble 500 combo. Home before midnight too, so

happy days. Tired today though, and got 3 more gigs this week - tonight at my local pub with 

the acoustic duo, then Redditch tomorrow / Shrewsbury on Saturday with the ELO Experience.

IMG_3717.jpeg

• Like 20

15 minutes ago, casapete said:

Got a call from a friend yesterday afternoon asking if I could dep at a local social club last night.

They have a rock’n’roll night on Wednesdays which is quite well attended, and I’ve depped there

before. Just a 3 piece band (guitar, bass, drums), and when I arrived I found out it was a dep

drummer too, who turned out to be an old mate who played with me in the same band years ago.

Had a cracking gig, both musically and socially. Two 45 minute sets, nice people and well paid!
Used my Danelectro Longhorn into a Fender Rumble 500 combo. Home before midnight too, so

happy days. Tired today though, and got 3 more gigs this week - tonight at my local pub with 

the acoustic duo, then Redditch tomorrow / Shrewsbury on Saturday with the ELO Experience.

IMG_3717.jpeg

Gotta ask Pete. What's the Danelectro bass like to play ?

Dave

• Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 05:14, stewblack said:

Not the Saturday night I anticipated. One of my regular bands has become sniffy about slumming it in low paid pub gigs so I'm rethinking my strategy.  Playing is my only source of income so I can't afford to be so choosy.

Last night they had pulled out because the singer was sniffy in a more literal way, another bad case of vocalists throat put her off the team sheet so I cast about for a bassless band to fill in at very short notice. 

The pub we ended up in could have been called the Sandpaper, The Stormy Sea, or the First Draft - in a word it was rough. 

All day drinkers in a forgotten backwater of a grim city, not many of them and all of them with a distinctly under evolved nature.

But we played, we got paid, I earned money I wouldn't have otherwise seen, and although I couldn't actually decipher what was being said, the little knot of tokers standing around my car as I loaded up at the end of the night seemed to be very positive.

It's all well and good playing once a month for 200 quid each but playing twice a week for 60 earns me a lot more. Case closed.

Our busy season doesn't start until May 3rd at The Thelma Performing Art Center in Fondulac. It's a high end roof top gig.

I've only had 1 gig for March & April . 

Daryl

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

I wish I would have kept my Dan Electro Long Horn.

Daryl

IMG_20240419_112709.jpg

Very underrated basses IMO, but don’t tell everyone as they’re priced about

right at the moment. Cool as f*ck too IMO, but many disagree. 

• Like 1

A bit late, but my new blues band played our first couple of gigs a week or so ago (Tapestry in Bradford on the Thursday & Venue 23 in Wakefield last Sunday), supporting Mick McConnell's (guitarist from Smokie) new blues rock band at both gigs. 

It all went really well for our first gigs and went down very well. It looks like it's going to be a good band with some top players. Just need to get some more gigs booked now... 

GR wakey april 24 - Copy.jpg

Edited by peteb
  • Like 4