Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Two wedding with my other band this weekend. Could well be the last time i play with them as they are splitting up at the end of the year.
On sat we were playing at Nottingham Uni. Lovely venue and great crowd. I used my BD21 (Sansamp clone) for the first time with my CVJ and god did it sound meaty. Very pleased.

last night we were in Bath (yeah yeah) at Priston mill. Another nice barn type venue. Although we were knackard from the night before (and got to the venue 4 hours too early so had to sit in the cars and watch the rain) we had a great gig, probably better than the night before.
The Groom was an Aussie so we did a lot of our more rocky covers, plus of course some ACDC and it was more like a proper rock gig than a wedding.
Great way to end the weekend.

Now im back and work, trying to catch up on some sleep.

One at the Hollybush in Cradley Heath on Friday, the turnout was a bit meh...it was pretty much just people we'd invited and three crazy chicks. Still, we seemed to go down alright, the bar staff liked us (they were giving us free drinks by the end of the night and invited us to play there again in future).

We also played at the Mid-Summer Punk Bash at the Varsity last night, it was pretty much just the other bands watching us (and some bloke up front who was really going for it with every band) but we went down well again, despite fluffing up quite badly a few times in the middle of the set :) They've invited us to play there again at future punk bashes, got offered a gig for next Saturday as well but had to turn it down as the drummer can't make it. The other bands were pretty kickass as well, (especially an act called 'Punkwreck'; if anyone gets the chance to see them, take it, they did an amazing cover of 'Alternative Ulster').

Anyways, both gigs were lots of fun, today we're recuperating before playing a support slot tomorrow night at Subside Bar in Birmingham.

A barn dance in a barn for us. We played the same gig last year and the barn had just dried out from having four inches of water in it, and the farmer's wife opened a hatch in the wall a few yards from the stage and took out a couple of eggs from the chicken run.

This year they've moved the stage so it's central on the long side of the barn instead of stuck in a corner, and the chickens have been evicted. Weather was lovely and I was glad I'd taken a fan along. It's a charity do, and this year the beneficiaries were Help the Heroes. There were a few TA soldiers along - three of them got auctioned off during the evening. It was a very enthusiastic audience, possibly partially fuelled by carrot wine, and most of them danced. Mrs Zero did her usual enthusiastic calling, I got the WAV-4 sorted out so it sounded a lot better than last time I used it (used a Behringer ADI21 to buffer it) and had fun swapping between that, the Mazeti fretless and the Ashbory. They liked us so much they want us back again next year. It raised about £2500 for HtH, which isn't too bad at all.

[quote name='tauzero' post='892026' date='Jul 11 2010, 03:55 PM']ling, I got the WAV-4 sorted out so it sounded a lot better than last time I used it (used a Behringer ADI21 to buffer it) and had fun swapping between that, the Mazeti fretless and the Ashbory. They liked us so much they want us back again next year. It raised about £2500 for HtH, which isn't too bad at all.[/quote]
Hi yer mate
Glad to hear the ol Maz is getting some good usage, how is she going??

We had Friday in Manchester and Saturday in Sheffield, both great fun. Manchester was poor sound but great crowd and Sheffield was great sound but smaller crowd.

My first proper gigs since March as we've been recording but just happy to be playing again (& the album is going great...so far!)

[quote name='Wooks' post='892038' date='Jul 11 2010, 04:10 PM']Hi yer mate
Glad to hear the ol Maz is getting some good usage, how is she going??[/quote]
Very well, I've put Elite roundwounds on and it now does primary duty for Different Glory and alternates with the Thumb fretless for the New Corona Band.

[quote name='tauzero' post='892047' date='Jul 11 2010, 04:20 PM']Very well, I've put Elite roundwounds on and it now does primary duty for Different Glory and alternates with the Thumb fretless for the New Corona Band.[/quote]
Great stuff I chuffed that she has found a home where she is being used and loved :wub: Do you get any comments about her at all??

Setting up at a wedding,and the best man comes up and says there is a guest who is a guitarist ..would you mind if he came up and played a song...well we dont normally say yes,but seeing it turns out to be Dan Hawkins from the Darkness....a really nice guy...well yes OK THEN :)

[quote name='bassmanady' post='892074' date='Jul 11 2010, 04:47 PM']Setting up at a wedding,and the best man comes up and says there is a guest who is a guitarist ..would you mind if he came up and played a song...well we dont normally say yes,but seeing it turns out to be Dan Hawkins from the Darkness....a really nice guy...well yes OK THEN :)[/quote]

Damn that must have been good. What did you play?

[quote name='bassmanady' post='892074' date='Jul 11 2010, 04:47 PM']Setting up at a wedding,and the best man comes up and says there is a guest who is a guitarist ..would you mind if he came up and played a song...well we dont normally say yes,but seeing it turns out to be Dan Hawkins from the Darkness....a really nice guy...well yes OK THEN :)[/quote]

AWESOME story.

Played our first Asian Wedding at a Bradford Banqueting venue last night, we were set to start at 6.30 to play in the guests as they arrived but were told by the venue staff that "nothing will go to time".
Guests started to roll in around 7.15 pm and we played for 30 minutes and then did 45 minutes during the meal.
Our final set of 15 minutes was curtailed to just 2 requests as all the men wanted to do Asian dancing, which was fine.
We still finished 2 hours later than scheduled but made some good contacts and most importantly, got well fed!

New gig @ Bognor Yacht Club on Saturday. Worried at the start as it looked as if we were going to get bemused looks & nothing else all night, but actually it went really well response-wise. Playing good enough, but a couple of car wrecks to play through.

Sound on stage was odd, bu apparently out front was great. Didn't use the IEM or radio and probably should have. Ah well I should know by now.

G&L's sounding great as ever. I now find I have the volumes rolled right back to what seems like next to nothing on both to keep everyone happy on volume front, even with the MB combo on flat EQ, 12 o'clock in & around 8 o'clock out, but the actives seem to keep the sound good.

Played a very odd wedding on Sat.
Young couple with no mates, apparently. 6 vicars in the small audience and a hymn to round off the speeches as we were setting up on the nice stage behind a curtain :)

Many vicars and spouses passed us en route to their cars as we picnicked on the grass before starting. This did not look good but with 6 services to do in several churches they all had to go and write sermons etc, or so they said.. Maybe it was our Hawaiian shorts an shirts roady clothes that put them off...

Started with just 30 family and a few vicars left.. "Oh," we thought "their young mates will be along in a minute to celebrate and dance the night away til the scheduled end time of 11" Wrong.

At 9 the bride and groom asked for the last dance as everyone was so tired. One more called dance and that was it, except it wasn't. We just played on at the request of the liveliest of the guests and no one minded. We played about 6 more requests whilst they cleared the hall, sang along and did some impromptu freestyle jiving.
Then we packed up and went home early. Got home at 1 instead of 3 which was very nice but felt like I still had half a gigs' worth of playing to do...

Initially I thought they'd booked the wrong band but then the bride's brother came over and said our show was the most fun they'd had for ages and had made his sister's day...

Takes all sorts...

We played a "festival" on Saturday. My bassist (playing drums in this) is a teacher, and one of his students put on a big 2 day thing at a rugby club with the help of his mum. They had about 100 tents there and loads of teenage types, but having spent £20 to get in, they mostly just sat by their tents getting wasted, not watching the bands. Nevermind, there were about 30 in front of the stage for our set which was the most they'd seen all weekend. I've never seen so many 6th formers in short-shorts.

We played the earliest and shortest gig ever on Saturday.
Drove an hour and a half to the International Eistedffod in Llangollen - got there at 10.00 am.
Got on stage at 11.00 am, played 30 seconds of soundcheck and the whole stage was shut down for the day because the sound was interferring with the choirs in the main pavillion, so we drove home in time for lunch.
They phoned the other 6 bands booked for the day and cancelled them - shame we were on first or I could have stayed in bed.
Mad thing is that the council provided the marquee, stage, PA, backline etc. and paid all the bands at considerable cost.

Ah well - rock & roll...................

Saturday - 3rd gig for Dick Venom And The Terrortones.

This was at the Maze in Nottingham supporting Eviltones, X-Ray cat Trio and a Burlesque act!
The venue looked a bit empty as we took the stage, but that changed as we kicked-off with our opening number "Attack of the 50ft Frankenbride" and the space in front of the stage quickly filled up. One or two dodgy moments in the set, but we managed to hold it together so I doubt anyone outside the band noticed. Not happy with my bass sound as I was using the headlining band's amp and on stage it sounded more distorted that I would normally like. Still the overall energy was good, and we've got a couple more gig offers as a result including one supporting The Meteors.

Photos for your enjoyment below:

Two gigs in one weekend...

Friday night we'd been invited to open musical procedings at the Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Rabbit Rally. Beautiful surroundings, good beer, okay sound and an okay set from us.

Yesterday we played at the Lounge on the Farm Festival. Played better this time. Managed to draw a couple of dozen folks to the stage we were on in addition to the peeps we'd dragged along with us, most of whom stayed. I got interviewed by the local press. Drank nice beer, ate nice venison and watched the Skints, Bad Manners and Toots and the Maytals on the main stage. A grand day out.

Played a quietish pub on Friday then a great wedding gig on the Saturday. Afterwards we all sat down and agreed that we would try to concentrate on weddings and parties from now on and just do one pub gig a month. Feels like an important moment.

The blues rock band played the final evening at the Chelmsford Beer Festival on Saturday night. Played in a huge open sided marquee with a good 300-400 people inside, and a further 2000 odd outside. Great weather, great beer and a great experience. The Trace stack was yet again....unreal!!

Wedding function for our drummer, everyone up for it and dancing all night. The best gig our 5-piece function band have ever done (and with a dep drummer too!)

PA and lights took ages to set up, and we only had five minutes to soundcheck but everything sounded great.

Here's to the next one in Stirling in a couple of weeks.

Steve.

Played 2 gigs this weekend, both local pubs. Farriers Arms in Shilbottle Friday night and Alnwick Gate Saturday night. Both went well! Small, but appreciative crowds, seemed to enjoy themselves. We played pretty well, only our 2nd and 3rd gigs with this band line up.

Here are a few pics -

[attachment=54542:IMG_2067new.JPG][attachment=54543:IMG_2062new.JPG][attachment=54541:IMG_2046new.JP
G]

Edited by bottlebassman