Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Sounds like fun! wasn't out last night but Friday was great. Local pub/Thai restaurant with a blues guitarist ( who was deafeningly loud). Bit weird at times as he wanted to do some bebop as well which really didn't fit the rest if the music ( or the audience!) that well, but still great fun. It was packed as well which is always good :) plus some friends I have seen in years turned up. All good!

Cheers,
Alun

• Like 1

We played a 50th Birthday party Friday night on the first floor of a Conservative Club in Newhaven with no lift - so that wasn't fun!! But there was a good young band supporting, so that made for a pleasant distraction as we hardly ever gig with other bands.

Last night we were at The Crow's Nest in East Grinstead; again it was 1st floor but thankfully, they have a lift which makes a lot of difference when loading out at 1am in the morning!

Both gigs were slow to get going at first but in the end, everyone was up singing and dancing, so a good weekend's work all in all!

Another two more next weekend as well, so 'no rest for the wicked' as the saying goes...

Nik

• Like 2

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='83671' date='Nov 4 2007, 08:03 PM']We played a 50th Birthday party Friday night on the first floor of a Conservative Club in Newhaven with no lift - so that wasn't fun!![/quote]
We did one without a lift too yesterday in a room above a pub. Like Mariah Carey, we generally don't do stairs. But it was a birthday party for a friend of the band so lots of people helped with the load in and out. Good gig, the birthday boy played guitar with us on one song, so he was made up.

• Like 1

played a wedding last night - we're an originals band, but we were given a list of songs and asked to learn them - not typical wedding stuff: Stone Roses, Kings Of Leon, Kooks, Fratellis, Jam, Sultans Of Ping, etc.

Everybody was up for it from the first note we played and the whole room was bouncing - excellent! Really good atmosphere - I suppose when you've got a room full of pissed people who are going nowhere, it's always going to be good!

• Like 3

No gig as such, but every Saturday we spend in excess of 10 hours in front of pro tools doin' a bit of 'wood shedding' ;o) Cant wait to get a full band together to put it into practice!! WOOT!

• Like 1

A fireworks party at a pub...unil they were forbidden to do the Fireworks by Health and Safety!

What is the world coming to? :)

V unpopular with the band by announcing 'Hard To Handle' (which they all hate, and was not onthe set list) as an encore, then congratulated when the pub went wild! :huh:

• Like 2

Hiya,
Ours was at a Golf club on the outskirts of Leatherhead - we had a guest female vocalist whos dad is the club captain. She did a set on her own while we had a break with some backing tracks & then joined us for half a dozen numbers which she normally does with us in set 2.

Wasn't really sure how well we were going to do as most of the punters were over the age of 50!! We've got another gig there in three weeks with one of our old guitar players (keyboard player is on another gig that night).

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

• Like 1

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='83831' date='Nov 5 2007, 07:50 AM']A fireworks party at a pub...unil they were forbidden to do the Fireworks by Health and Safety!

What is the world coming to? :)

V unpopular with the band by announcing 'Hard To Handle' (which they all hate, and was not onthe set list) as an encore, then congratulated when the pub went wild! :huh:[/quote]

What the bloody thundering hell? H & S stopped fireworks?

Hope somebody nutted the tosser who was far too much of a jobsworth and spoilt a traditional night (closest weekend night to Nov 5th)

• Like 1

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='83671' date='Nov 4 2007, 08:03 PM']Last night we were at The Crow's Nest in East Grinstead; again it was 1st floor but thankfully, they have a lift which makes a lot of difference when loading out at 1am in the morning![/quote]
Oooh, we play there a lot. What's yer band called? Are you on their Facebook page?

Have you been loving the fact that everytime you seem to go back there's suddely an extra half hour on their damn licence?!!! Hehe. I think the bar shuts at 1 or 1.30 now.

Anyhoo, back OT, I didn't gig this weekend, I moved into my flat and started painting and sorting the little electrical and shower problems!

• Like 1

Ours on Saturday night was a charidee gig - we regularly gig at the Kingstanding Warriors British Legion and one of their members has had cancer and been unable to work, so they ran a fundraiser to get him and his family some money for Christmas. No, we're not the economy version of Disneyland, he's getting better - sufficiently better to get up on stage and sing "Sweet Caroline" anyway. Good atmosphere, though it took the standard crap like UB40 to get them on their feet.

Which meant I didn't do the barn dance I was originally supposed to be doing (and which the other half was calling at). It's all good for the soul though, innit?

• Like 1

Not really a gig, but I had my first rehearsal with a potential new band in Reading last night.

It was due to start @7pm but due to an accident, I didn't get there until 8 and quite honestly, once I set up I really wasn't in the mood.

I found myself playing fistfuls of wrong notes, I somehow managed to wind myself up in the bass lead about 3 times and I had to use the Rehearsal studio's amp set up.

I must be getting old because I couldn't hear a note I was playing during certain songs and kept thinking I was playing flat.

I must admit, I do actually struggle to hear the bass more and more and we don't usually use monitors. A few people have suggested maybe looking at the Epifani 3 x 10 or the Schroeder will will apparently give more support to the bass player and allow me to hear myself better. Any ideas on this?

Got an email from the drummer from the band this morning saying they thought I fitted in really well and they want me back!! What do I know eh?

• Like 2

I must be getting old because I couldn't hear a note I was playing during certain songs and kept thinking I was playing flat.

I would have thought if you could'nt hear what you were playing it meant you were at least in tune with the rest of the band, hit a few wrong notes and they seem to stick out like a sore thumb plus the stares you get from other band members. speaking from personal experience that us. :)

• Like 1

[quote name='beerdragon' post='84953' date='Nov 7 2007, 03:27 PM']I must be getting old because I couldn't hear a note I was playing during certain songs and kept thinking I was playing flat.

I would have thought if you could'nt hear what you were playing it meant you were at least in tune with the rest of the band, hit a few wrong notes and they seem to stick out like a sore thumb plus the stares you get from other band members. speaking from personal experience that us. :)[/quote]

LOL- I gues you're right!! I think it was because I was playing with a new Bass too that I felt a bit self-conscious. I'd still like to HEAR my Bass rather than FEEL it : (

• Like 1

Just got back from a gig. it was in a pub in a high street. when we got there the Landlord asked if we could keep it down as he has had complaints about the noise. we did a song as a sound check and had a few claps from the punters and the landlord said that was ok, first time i've had applause in a sound check :) . as the night wore on and with windows and doors closed the volume crept up a bit (so did the heat) but no complaints from the landlord who gave us another half dozen dates for next year . not a bad night.

• Like 3

Had a gig at The Miller, London Bridge with the Jamie West Band. Gig went great, and we had a good turnout. We had to bring a good crowd because we hadn't worked with this promoter in a while. They had changed staff and had no idea who we were. Thankfully, we brought the most people there so it looks set to play in the venue we originally wanted, Spice of Life, Soho. Also, got a contact who works at the BBC and is interested in making a music video for us. I even got an offer from one of the acts to join them!

All in all it was a crucial gig that went well.

But on the flip-side of things, I now have a neckache from moving around on stage and also caught a chill which I still haven't recovered from. :)

• Like 3