Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Just because I am curious - I am from Portsmouth (but now in the west country) and have never heard the term 'Portsmouth pier' before (as it has 3 and they are all in southsea), was this at South Parade pier? Interesting if they are doing more there now.

Yes South Parade Pier. Apparently they had to go to legal proceedings to get it on as there were objections based upon noise but halfway didn’t the pier it couldn’t be heard as the bands were playing right at the end.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes South Parade Pier. Apparently they had to go to legal proceedings to get it on as there were objections based upon noise but halfway didn’t the pier it couldn’t be heard as the bands were playing right at the end.

That is a bit odd as noone lives there - why would anyone complain about the noise? When I was young there was a rock night there, which always struck me as a bit dangerous having a lot of drunk people on a pier.

Saturday - played an all day rock/metal gig at Leo's Gravesend.

Had the pleasure of using the in house cab, which was a Zilla 2x10 plus 1x15 in one enclosure. Bit toppy, bit boom on the low E, no time for adjustments, was nice and loud though.

Very moist gig!

Yesterday, Charity gig just outside Worcester, favour for my engineer mate. used my own cab, sounded amazing. 

Work this morning- knackered.

• Like 4

Good be playing live again - the Halfway Heroes MCC bike rally at Cabourne Parva, Lincs.

Excellent hired in sound crew, brilliant crowd - our 90 min set ended up as 2 hours they'd have happily had us carry on but I think we broke the dummer!

IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 11

Played outside at a classic car rally at Snetterton racetrack on Sunday. Only the second time I have played on a trailer stage. It turned out to be character forming. In the pic you can see the sound team scratching their heads after the first generator spiked and blew out the power amp for the bass bins before we had finished setting up. Two alternative generators were found and we finally got a stable enough power supply to power our amps plus a couple of column PAs and two powered speakers. 

The technical hassles put us on edge, so we had a bit of a shaky start but got into our stride after a few numbers. Unfortunately, playing to a much smaller crowd than anticipated: after a month of drought in East Anglia, the heavens decided to open just before the gig. Plus, there was a race meeting on the track behind us, a Grand Prix and the football on the TV, so lots of distractions for the petrol heads. It also rained again during the gig, so it turned into a bit of a drive-in with people sitting in their cars with the windows down some of the time.

After doing our two hour gig, the main act turned up but without their rhythm section who had tested positive for Covid. After a hasty crisis meeting, me and our drummer agreed to step in. They did a few numbers with just the two guitars and harmonica player, then we joined them and jammed it out. You can do that with the blues! 

3749FD70-6E7C-4E70-8E0A-F1D5946425B4.jpeg

• Like 12

On 31/07/2022 at 20:59, Jack said:

A sports bar in Washington last night, one of my favourites with regards to load in and stage space. We play there maybe every 6 months and it's always a good gig with a good crowd.

Our mission? To keep people in after the football. It didn't really work too well but it filled up again with a new crowd before we started. Rig was a Sansamp and I took a wedge because I usually stand too far away from the other monitors but we set up a little differently this time and I ended up with my head about a meter from the stage left pa main. Oh well, overkill is the correct amount of kill. 

PXL_20220730_202703154.jpg

PXL_20220730_185150914.MP.jpg

Steve Bruce on backing vocals? 😄

• Like 2

Bowed out of the trio on Saturday night with a pub gig over 60 miles away, I won't miss that sort of travelling for little money upfront. Fortunately we made an extra £50 in tips on top of the fee so the petrol money was covered. Punters seemed to like us and though a rather sweaty night (plus I had a heavy cold) we got through without major incident. This leaves me with no ongoing music projects which should free up some time to get work done on the house and sell some surplus gear off (anyone looking for some Roland PK-5 pedals?) with a view to jacking in the day job next year and moving to the South West, it'll be an adventure. As most of my posts tend to be on this thread then I will probably have an even lower profile in the coming months. Cheers guys.

Post script - turns out it was more than a cold, I've just tested positive for covid despite having 3 vaccinations. Oh well... 

Edited by KevB
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

We played a local show for the Home Grown Foundation. They are big promotors of local artists and original music.

Natural outside amphitheater. About 150 people showed up. We had an opener, we played 7-9. We used a dep drummer.

I'd give us a C+.

Blue

1659750224423~2.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 01/08/2022 at 04:10, DaytonaRik said:

Good be playing live again - the Halfway Heroes MCC bike rally at Cabourne Parva, Lincs.

Excellent hired in sound crew, brilliant crowd - our 90 min set ended up as 2 hours they'd have happily had us carry on but I think we broke the dummer!

IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

Really nice shots.

Blue

On 31/07/2022 at 05:56, theplumber said:

Decent gig in Glasgow's West End. The pub was packed to the rafters when we entered as the Karaoke finished. We started just after 9pm and the set up was dreadful. We were squashed in a corner beside stairs leading up to a raised area in the bar. I was side on to the band with the drummer right behind me. I ended up doing no backing vocals as I had to give the keyboard player a loan of my mike stand as his fell to bits just before we started. Very mixed age lively bunch dancing and singing along. A fair few were very very refreshed and indeed falling about the place. One guy in particular danced about 6 inches from the singer......a fu**ing pest! In fact it seemed to be the prefered route to the toilets in the raised area so we had a constant stream of folk coming and going all evening which was very off putting.Soundwise was pretty dreadful as we were squashed together. We went down well and have been asked back but I think we need to try a different set up next time in. Pubs with drunk folk.....whatever next!!!!

I've seen that. You get these guys that seem to want actually fall into the band.

We don't play many bar or pub gigs anymore. But I remember those days. Standing up playing and a shoe sails pass your head. Lol

Blue

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I've seen that. You get these guys that seem to want actually fall into the band.

We don't play many bar or pub gigs anymore. But I remember those days. Standing up playing and a shoe sails pass your head. Lol

Blue

In a similar vein, I played a 'Rock night' in a local pub with different scratch bands. Last act on, the singer, who was drunk, fell backwards into the drum kit!

• Haha 2

On 31/07/2022 at 11:56, theplumber said:

Decent gig in Glasgow's West End. The pub was packed to the rafters when we entered as the Karaoke finished. We started just after 9pm and the set up was dreadful. We were squashed in a corner beside stairs leading up to a raised area in the bar. I was side on to the band with the drummer right behind me. I ended up doing no backing vocals as I had to give the keyboard player a loan of my mike stand as his fell to bits just before we started. Very mixed age lively bunch dancing and singing along. A fair few were very very refreshed and indeed falling about the place. One guy in particular danced about 6 inches from the singer......a fu**ing pest! In fact it seemed to be the prefered route to the toilets in the raised area so we had a constant stream of folk coming and going all evening which was very off putting.Soundwise was pretty dreadful as we were squashed together. We went down well and have been asked back but I think we need to try a different set up next time in. Pubs with drunk folk.....whatever next!!!!

whereabouts was it Stevie. Sounds like a venue to avoid.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

I shouldn't really say....but let's just say it could have been The Storm Queen in Dumbarton Rd. Very busy when we came in. The Karaoke had kept them going for a few hours but I believe there was a football match on and folk had gathered there to celebrate? Lol No idea. But let's just say there was a fair few well oiled punters holding on to the walls as we brought the gear in. There wasn't any trouble that I seen and the punters seemed to like us. But as I mentioned it wasn't a great set up and folk were far too near the band at times. Yes I know its not all pubs that can afford the space for a stage or raised area but a barrier or rope would have helped. I think it was a cancellation and I took the booking to make the numbers up and to break me in to the band. I think that was my 4th gig. Maybe they should stick to karaoke! Oh and on the way out I had to step over fresh vomit at the front door.......doesn't it smell awfully like parmesan cheese.....boak!!!!!

• Haha 2

I had organised a gig with Franklin's Tower at a local pub last night, but it was called off two days before hand as a band member tested positive for covid  after spending last weekend at WOMAD. I offered the pub The Wirebirds as a substitute, but our drummer is on holiday, so the guitarist's son stepped in (he's played with us many times) - there were a few puzzled Dead Heads in the audience, but everyone enjoyed an evening of blues rock. 

Franklin's Tower now rescheduled for the end of the month.

• Like 4

Fourth gig with the latest covers band. Much better. I played some really nice stuff even if I do say so myself. Cut my backing vocals back after making a bugger’s muddle of them at last gig. A couple of fluffs. The run up to the stop in Crazy Little Thing hit a wall at 90mph. Very bad.

After the last gig, it was blisters and finger ice bath. Fortunately the resultant skin/blister combo hardened like a good ‘un so this evening was a breeze!

Two next weekend. This band again Friday and the main band on Saturday. But no lead guitarist and no drummer. So Kev The Keys is gonna drum. Cue hasty Tuesday evening rehearsal!!

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 5

And we weren’t loud but my ears are ringing despite having the ACS moulded plugs in all evening.

How anyone can gig without ear protection is beyond me. Don’t buy that pedal you’ve been after - purchase proper moulded plugs instead. Don’t be like the drummer and say “eh?” every time anyone speaks.

• Like 2

Two gigs yesterday at two very different Wiltshire boozers. An afternoon al fresco session to a frightfully nice crowd, enjoying their drinks and cremated flesh, followed by an evening performance in a cheerful rough and ready local.

Both went well the only thing of note being the insanely horrible load in at the second gig.

Firstly, no parking. Secondly, only one entrance and that via a narrow doorway and up three unevenly spaced steps. The second step had a sack trucks defying overhang beneath which the wheels inevitably stuck fast.

Twisting onwards through a small, crowded bar, we find ourselves in a corridor which whilst wide at first, rapidly narrows and turns and goes uphill. Via more steps. Lots of steps.

The playing area finally located we are confronted with a narrow stage, walled in close on either side and in a room illuminated only by multiple flashing lights. 

£5 if you can tell me where this venue is?

PS I must point out the punters and staff were universally friendly, complimentary and really into the band - it's just that load in, I'll never forget it.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Fourth gig with the latest covers band. Much better. I played some really nice stuff even if I do say so myself. Cut my backing vocals back after making a bugger’s muddle of them at last gig. A couple of fluffs. The run up to the stop in Crazy Little Thing hit a wall at 90mph. Very bad.

After the last gig, it was blisters and finger ice bath. Fortunately the resultant skin/blister combo hardened like a good ‘un so this evening was a breeze!

Two next weekend. This band again Friday and the main band on Saturday. But no lead guitarist and no drummer. So Kev The Keys is gonna drum. Cue hasty Tuesday evening rehearsal!!

I tried that ice thing after our first set and it worked a treat for the 2nd set.

I've been steeping my fingers in meths for the previous week but didn't seem to do anything.

More gigs is the answer.

Dave

• Like 1

9 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

And we weren’t loud but my ears are ringing despite having the ACS moulded plugs in all evening.

How anyone can gig without ear protection is beyond me. Don’t buy that pedal you’ve been after - purchase proper moulded plugs instead. Don’t be like the drummer and say “eh?” every time anyone speaks.

I struggled with my ACS plugs for years - every time I moved a muscle in my face one or both would move and let the noise in. I finally stopped using them and bought £20 industrial ear protector 'headphones' from (I Think) Screwfix - lets me hear exactly what the rest of the band is doing but saves my ears from cymbal crashes and loud guitar (I mostly play in a three piece blues-rock band, so volume goes with the territory). They're also much easier to take off for a chat during the breaks and have never moved while playing. Easier to sleep after a gig without my ears ringing as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 31/07/2022 at 23:51, Woodinblack said:

That is a bit odd as noone lives there - why would anyone complain about the noise? When I was young there was a rock night there, which always struck me as a bit dangerous having a lot of drunk people on a pier.

It's all changed down there. The clubs are all gone and it's retirement homes. It was, I believe, the Pompey Punk festival. I was meeting some friends a short distance away and got a good listen. That looks outside too (which explains the level). The gaiety Bar on the pier was where most stuff has happened in the past

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I struggled with my ACS plugs for years - every time I moved a muscle in my face one or both would move and let the noise in. I finally stopped using them and bought £20 industrial ear protector 'headphones' from (I Think) Screwfix - lets me hear exactly what the rest of the band is doing but saves my ears from cymbal crashes and loud guitar (I mostly play in a three piece blues-rock band, so volume goes with the territory). They're also much easier to take off for a chat during the breaks and have never moved while playing. Easier to sleep after a gig without my ears ringing as well.

I had that at rehearsal on Thursday with my ACS plugs, whenever I smiled (ok not that regular an occurrence) the “seal” was broken and more noise got through.

Note to self, remain miserable and protect your hearing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3