Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

49 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Last night was the annual village green gig at Horton. Great gig with lots of dancing (and not just the audience). We were competing with Trevor Horn and Nile Rogers, who were playing in nearby Swansea but there's room for new bands like them as well as us on the circuit. 🤣

DSCG8936-1.jpg.4153d0baca1fc6b2b3065437083a123f.jpg

DSCG8935-1.thumb.jpg.91c34ee77d57f0d3168a9b4cca2ed2b6.jpg

P1120430-1.jpg.17110d7d818f5044b478fa73e7b3a457.jpg

P1120509-1.thumb.jpg.1e0439aaef9a0609e1e887e403829dac.jpg

Looks like a cool gig.

Blue

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, baa said:

It was fun!

Played outdoors at a camping site where the guitarist has a caravan permanently parked.

We played as a favour to the guitarist and site owner.

Singer started with five songs as a trubadur, and then we played 2 x 6 songs.

After 3 encores we passed a bucket and made roughly half of a pub-gig 😃💰

I know shorts are sometimes frowned upon, but I played in cargo-shorts and bare feet! 🤣

20220729_164848.jpg

20220729_170103.jpg

Seems like we all played on a farm or a camp ground last night. Lol

Blue

1659196387112~2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dont recognise the bass amp ? what make and model is it

A recently acquired Peavey Minimax 600 - 'B' stock from Bax. First outing last night. There are a lot of buttons as well as dials, so some work required to get the best from it but I was pleased with the sound through the backline. 

P1120520.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

A recently acquired Peavey Minimax 600 - 'B' stock from Bax. First outing last night. There are a lot of buttons as well as dials, so some work required to get the best from it but I was pleased with the sound through the backline. 

P1120520.JPG

I have one but run it flat. Please tell, simply, which buttons are worth bothering with!🙏

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

I have one but run it flat. Please tell, simply, which buttons are worth bothering with!🙏

This is my third day of ownership, so I'm still working on the settings. The dials are pretty much as I had them last night - bass on 9.30, mid at full cut, treble at about 2pm. The volume was about 9pm - providing a monitor level for my backline as the whole band was going through FOH (the line-out from the Peavey was pre-equalisation). I used the boost button for a couple of the rockier numbers, just to add a bit of grit to what I was hearing. The mid shift button was set to provide mid cut centered on 250hz (I like the scooped sound, particularly for cutting through a band mix) and the bright button was off. I understand the Kosmos button filters out the lowest frequency and replaces them with harmonics which is meant to help with power handling. I had it engaged as I was using a 10" and a 6.5" speaker which wouldn't handle the low end (and didn't need to - FOH did all that). 

Bear in mind that these setting were done on the fly simply to provide me with a monitor mix. I hope to get to grips with the possibilities over the next few weeks but the opportunity to turn it up LOUD is limited at the moment. 

• Like 1

Well, todays were interesting. We had a 1 hour gig 20 miles out of town from 2:30 to 3:30 and another 3 hour gig 20 miles out of town the other way from 5 to 8 today!

First was a liitle pub that we had played at recently, they were doing a festival thing and got us on first (they wanted us later, but we were already booked). It was going to be tight going between them to break down the PA and get to the other one, whcih had a PA, but got there and it turned out the last band had a big PA and decided to set it up straight away, so did the sound for everyone else - so my PA had a free trip around the area today.

The first gig started with a wedding proposal, which was good, (we had a yes and no song lined up to start - we got to use the yes song!), but all went down well, then a mad dash to the other one.

Also in a field but with a stage built, and a big PA, but so hot, was really flagging by half time. luckily after a break, got a bit of second wind, so the second half was good, and by then at least there were a lot of dancers and people were joining in.

Not a bad day as I am home by 9!

• Like 5

Not home but at the singer's home after a private party in some god forsaken part of Wiltshire. Went really well, a lot of extremely drunken people which is never pretty but they were well behaved.

Used the Nuke in biamped mode. Sounded mighty

• Like 2

Decent gig in Glasgow's West End. The pub was packed to the rafters when we entered as the Karaoke finished. We started just after 9pm and the set up was dreadful. We were squashed in a corner beside stairs leading up to a raised area in the bar. I was side on to the band with the drummer right behind me. I ended up doing no backing vocals as I had to give the keyboard player a loan of my mike stand as his fell to bits just before we started. Very mixed age lively bunch dancing and singing along. A fair few were very very refreshed and indeed falling about the place. One guy in particular danced about 6 inches from the singer......a fu**ing pest! In fact it seemed to be the prefered route to the toilets in the raised area so we had a constant stream of folk coming and going all evening which was very off putting.Soundwise was pretty dreadful as we were squashed together. We went down well and have been asked back but I think we need to try a different set up next time in. Pubs with drunk folk.....whatever next!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1st gig with Glam Rock band and our new guitarist at The Dreadnought in Bathgate.

One of the singers had food poisoning from the night before so she was extremely unwell but like the trooper she is The Show Must Go On she carried on. New guitarist did a sterling job after just 3 weeks with the songs.

Venue was pretty busy with people up dancing almost from the 1st song. Quite a few standing with mouths open when we took to the stage but the feedback has been amazing. Several people mentioned they were too busy watching the show to dance and were amazed at the outfits and what they were witnessing.

Very hot on stage and drank about 2 litres of water during the show. Few early bird pics have appeared so here's one of them to give you an idea 295379645_10158847536678093_8474595291149374241_n.thumb.jpg.38e030289e6f7298e396fe4c28b91cfe.jpg296131548_10158847538088093_1144536093683086756_n.thumb.jpg.5cce5bd32493ca6edd3ca20028874913.jpgof what we do.

296570734_10158847536453093_5463340847512518529_n.jpg

• Like 11

Had a couple of nice gigs this week. First was our monthly acoustic duo gig at a local pub. 

Plenty of people in, including Andy, an old band mate of mine from years ago who now teaches 

music in Beijing. Haven't seen him in 15 years, so great to catch up.

Then at the weekend we played at Marlborough College in Wiltshire as part of their Summer School

programme. Originally planned for during the Covid lockdown, it was nice to eventually get to perform

there. As it was a stand alone gig now (originally one of a few darn sarf) this involved a 5 hour drive

each way so a bit of a slog for us. An amazing venue, originally designed for classical music and theatre,

so a challenge for our sound tech but he coped really well. Great support from their crew too.

Needless to say though the gig was fantastic, a lovely sell out crowd and we were well fed and watered.

Absolutely shattered next day though!

Edited by casapete
  • Like 7

Just got in from a gig on Portsmouth Pier (pic of backstage below). Went well tho the drummer suffered for his art as he managed to cut his hand on the second to last song so blood over him and provided kit - oops. Lot of good comments on my first “over the sea” gig.

69480D31-0119-401D-8AA9-EA2429EF1403.jpeg

• Like 6

On 29/07/2022 at 14:27, dmccombe7 said:

You've got it made Blue, Limo picks you up for the gig plus you get to play my perfect venue. HD Museum. I'm drooling. :laugh1:

Dave

Dmccombe,

I took a few pics for you at the HD Museum yesterday.

The gig went well. Great weather and receptive crowd.

Blue

20220730_160606.jpg

20220730_160524.jpg

20220730_160154.jpg

20220730_160628.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Dmccombe,

I took a few pics for you at the HD Museum yesterday.

The gig went well. Great weather and receptive crowd.

Blue

20220730_160606.jpg

20220730_160524.jpg

20220730_160154.jpg

20220730_160628.jpg

Thanks @Bluewine you're a true gent.

I was going to take a holiday over that area and make a visit to the museum not long after it opened but life changed and it didn't happen. Maybe some day.

Many many thanks for sharing some HD pics. Always appreciated.

Dave

• Like 1

A sports bar in Washington last night, one of my favourites with regards to load in and stage space. We play there maybe every 6 months and it's always a good gig with a good crowd.

Our mission? To keep people in after the football. It didn't really work too well but it filled up again with a new crowd before we started. Rig was a Sansamp and I took a wedge because I usually stand too far away from the other monitors but we set up a little differently this time and I ended up with my head about a meter from the stage left pa main. Oh well, overkill is the correct amount of kill. 

PXL_20220730_202703154.jpg

PXL_20220730_185150914.MP.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Just got in from a gig on Portsmouth Pier (pic of backstage below). Went well tho the drummer suffered for his art as he managed to cut his hand on the second to last song so blood over him and provided kit - oops. Lot of good comments on my first “over the sea” gig.

69480D31-0119-401D-8AA9-EA2429EF1403.jpeg

Just because I am curious - I am from Portsmouth (but now in the west country) and have never heard the term 'Portsmouth pier' before (as it has 3 and they are all in southsea), was this at South Parade pier? Interesting if they are doing more there now.