Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 24/07/2022 at 23:01, moley6knipe said:

Oh man what a nightmare!! Bless yers. On the plus side, LOVE a Zep tribute more than pretty much anything. Good work - my hat is off to anyone who can take on one of JPJ’s lines, let alone a whole set!

The occasional car issue at the end of the night are just part of being a muso really! What annoys me is driving on a motorway to a gig, only for it to be closed at one o'clock in the morning when you're driving home. 

Always good fun playing Zep tunes and unleashing your inner JPJ. I was always a massive Zep fan coming up, but I hadn't really had to learn too many of their tunes prior to joining the tribute. Once I sat down and started working out JPJ's parts, I was surprised at how much I picked up from him without really realising and how much he had influenced my playing!  

Edited by peteb
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, peteb said:

What annoys me is driving on a motorway to a gig, only for it to be closed at one o'clock in the morning when you're driving home. 

That's happened to me after rehearsals and gigs on theM4 around 10 times. I hate diverting through Newport.

Had that last week leaving Glasgow on the main M8. In middle of Glasgow the cones appeared on outside lane closing off all 3 lanes and diverting to M80 to Stirling. I was heading South to M74 and overhead signs said "M8 Closed" that was all it said with no signs of diverted route anywhere to be seen. Travelled along M80 for 9 miles until i saw a road i recognised that took me to M73 and back down to M74.

I appreciate roadworks are needed but the diversions need to have signs up telling people where to divert to and not left wide open. Had i not recognised the roads at Cumbernauld i could have ended up at bloody Stirling.

Finally made it to M74 only for signs appearing road closed after Larhall junction which is 15 miles before my usual exit. Once again another diversion from a main motorway route.

I feel sorry for overnight truck drivers who have schedules to keep. 

Anyway a journey that normally takes me an hour took me 2 hrs. Had i known the motorway was closed before i got onto it in Glasgow i could have taken other routes out of the city centre.

That my nightly rant over chaps.

Dave 

• Sad 1

We’ve accepted that closures and diversions are now a permanent part of our 

travelling to and from our gigs all over the UK. The change to night works on major routes

has impacted our travel times considerably, most often on our route home after a long

gig when we just want to get back. So often we travel miles down motorways with

40 or 50mph speed limits due to road works with nobody in sight working there at all.

Diversions have become normal, and with some being an extra 20 miles +, it can be very 

frustrating. One of the drawbacks of the job I know, just have to accept it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 26/07/2022 at 21:40, peteb said:

The occasional car issue at the end of the night are just part of being a muso really! What annoys me is driving on a motorway to a gig, only for it to be closed at one o'clock in the morning when you're driving home. 

Always good fun playing Zep tunes and unleashing your inner JPJ. I was always a massive Zep fan coming up, but I hadn't really had to learn too many of their tunes prior to joining the tribute. Once I sat down and started working out JPJ's parts, I was surprised at how much I picked up from him without really realising and how much he had influenced my playing!  

I used to play tenor sax in a wind band that's 50 miles from here. One of the reasons I stopped playing with them was repeatedly coming home from rehearsals or gigs and discovering random overnight road closures with 20 mile detours... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We had a good gig at a multi band event last Saturday. Well attended. We played from 4:00-5:30.

Blue

FB_IMG_1658738063400.jpg

That would be a walk in the park for you guys doing a 1.5hr set instead of 3-4hr gigs. :D

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last minute gig last night at a local music bar. My band would have liked a couple more rehearsals before we gigged but the drummer got a call from the booker asking if we'd do the gig and we 'seized the day'.

The songs we knew well, sounded great and the crowd loved them, most of the ones we weren't  100% up to speed on were pretty good. Only a couple of total disasters but we'll work on them at our next rehearsal.

That was my first gig for over 2 years.......here's to many more.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, gjones said:

My band would have liked a couple more rehearsals before we gigged but the drummer got a call from the booker asking if we'd do the gig and we 'seized the day'.

Always the best choice with a new group - if you wait until you are perfect, who knows when you would agree to that.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, gjones said:

Last minute gig last night at a local music bar. My band would have liked a couple more rehearsals before we gigged but the drummer got a call from the booker asking if we'd do the gig and we 'seized the day'.

The songs we knew well, sounded great and the crowd loved them, most of the ones we weren't  100% up to speed on were pretty good. Only a couple total of disasters but we'll work on them at our next rehearsal.

That was my first gig for over 2 years.......here's to many more.

One gig worth several rehearsals,  now you know what to work on.

• Like 4

On 27/07/2022 at 23:23, casapete said:

We’ve accepted that closures and diversions are now a permanent part of our 

travelling to and from our gigs all over the UK. The change to night works on major routes

has impacted our travel times considerably, most often on our route home after a long

gig when we just want to get back. So often we travel miles down motorways with

40 or 50mph speed limits due to road works with nobody in sight working there at all.

Diversions have become normal, and with some being an extra 20 miles +, it can be very 

frustrating. One of the drawbacks of the job I know, just have to accept it.

I remember those days well. Our criteria for hotels was anything more than a 3hr drive home, though often what would have been 2hrs ended up well over the 3hrs due to motorway closures. And yes, at that time of night very seldom see anyone working so you do tend to wonder why a whole 15 or so miles is coned off down to one lane when vehicles could be driving along those lanes.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I remember those days well. Our criteria for hotels was anything more than a 3hr drive home, though often what would have been 2hrs ended up well over the 3hrs due to motorway closures. And yes, at that time of night very seldom see anyone working so you do tend to wonder why a whole 15 or so miles is coned off down to one lane when vehicles could be driving along those lanes.

Obviously its a safety thing. If no one working there's no risk of injury. Job done. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That would be a walk in the park for you guys doing a 1.5hr set instead of 3-4hr gigs. :D

Dave

Yes,

Dave, I don't think we book anymore 4 hour bar gigs anymore. Those long hour gigs are no longer realistic for me at age 68. And lucky me, I no longer have to drive to gigs. They pick me up in the van.

Two acoustic gigs this weekend. We're opening for a national touring Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band at The Holy Hill Art Farm tonight, 1 hour.

Saturday we play the Harley Motor Bar & Restaurant at The Harley Museum Complex Saturday, 5:30-8:00.

Blue

FB_IMG_1654883876202.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I swear you have a different bass in every single picture.  How many do you own? 

I ask out of curiosity, not being judgemental :) 

If you were being judgemental,  how many basses would you consider as too few?

• Haha 2

My duo played a couple of sets to an initially dead pub, followed by one of the liveliest crowds I have had in a while, locally. It never ceases to amaze me how there is a demand for 80s post punk / goth performed on folk instruments (now with added drum machine / synth). I'm pictured here on the 8 string mandocello.

48a73119-47c3-4fa1-98cb-d6fa952c73e8.thumb.JPG.73e63b01901a9e8fd3c2f0ee014252a9.JPG

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Yes,

Dave, I don't think we book anymore 4 hour bar gigs anymore. Those long hour gigs are no longer realistic for me at age 68. And lucky me, I no longer have to drive to gigs. They pick me up in the van.

Two acoustic gigs this weekend. We're opening for a national touring Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band at The Holy Hill Art Farm tonight, 1 hour.

Saturday we play the Harley Motor Bar & Restaurant at The Harley Museum Complex Saturday, 5:30-8:00.

Blue

FB_IMG_1654883876202.jpg

You've got it made Blue, Limo picks you up for the gig plus you get to play my perfect venue. HD Museum. I'm drooling. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

Last night was the annual village green gig at Horton. Great gig with lots of dancing (and not just the audience). We were competing with Trevor Horn and Nile Rogers, who were playing in nearby Swansea but there's room for new bands like them as well as us on the circuit. 🤣

DSCG8936-1.jpg.4153d0baca1fc6b2b3065437083a123f.jpg

DSCG8935-1.thumb.jpg.91c34ee77d57f0d3168a9b4cca2ed2b6.jpg

P1120430-1.jpg.17110d7d818f5044b478fa73e7b3a457.jpg

P1120509-1.thumb.jpg.1e0439aaef9a0609e1e887e403829dac.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Last night was the annual village green gig at Horton. Great gig with lots of dancing (and not just the audience). We were competing with Trevor Horn and Nile Rogers, who were playing in nearby Swansea but there's room for new bands like them as well as us on the circuit. 🤣

DSCG8936-1.jpg.4153d0baca1fc6b2b3065437083a123f.jpg

DSCG8935-1.thumb.jpg.91c34ee77d57f0d3168a9b4cca2ed2b6.jpg

P1120430-1.jpg.17110d7d818f5044b478fa73e7b3a457.jpg

P1120509-1.thumb.jpg.1e0439aaef9a0609e1e887e403829dac.jpg

Dont recognise the bass amp ? what make and model is it @Franticsmurf ?

Dave

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

You've got it made Blue, Limo picks you up for the gig plus you get to play my perfect venue. HD Museum. I'm drooling. :laugh1:

Dave

Thanks Dave, but it's not that glamorous.  They found out I was getting lost on the way to gigs and that I turned down a one way street and had cars driving towards me. Lol

Blue

FB_IMG_1648588079946~3.jpg

• Haha 5

It was fun!

Played outdoors at a camping site where the guitarist has a caravan permanently parked.

We played as a favour to the guitarist and site owner.

Singer started with five songs as a trubadur, and then we played 2 x 6 songs.

After 3 encores we passed a bucket and made roughly half of a pub-gig 😃💰

I know shorts are sometimes frowned upon, but I played in cargo-shorts and bare feet! 🤣

20220729_164848.jpg

20220729_170103.jpg

• Like 6