Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Another in a seemingly endless array of scooter rallies, this time headlining at an aeroplane museum. Pro sound and lights, an amazing jbl srx 15" wedge to myself but the crowd were miles back behind a big empty dance floor. Too sunny for anyone to come into the hangar and watch until it got dark near the very end. Such a shame really, it's our fourth time here and we've always had a blast but every other band reported the same thing of a big crowd that started just at the threshold of the hanger about 20m away from the stage. 

FB_IMG_1657379508704.thumb.jpg.43a0970ea307b7af00b5621de75b22d1.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Like 5

Standard private party jobbie. Local golf club. Everyone outside enjoying the evening sun until the last half an hour. Then lots of dancing. Home by 11:30 paid and full of free pimms and pizza. 
Can’t complain. 
First outing for my new (tatty secondhand) Pedaltrain Novo32, which was very heavy. But given that my whole rig is basically an ageing-and-surprisingly-hard-to-come-by Zoom B9.1 and a Rolls IEM amp, it sure feels a lot safer in transit than in the rapidly disintegrating Harley Benton soft case that it replaced. 

ECC7F5D6-AF46-48A8-9BA1-9C6387E3B074.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

What band was it ?

No comment on the venue name or is that the band name. The Pink Torpedoes :laugh1:

Dave

Damn profanity filter.  The venue was The Cockerel without the erel at the end.

I was there with Used Blues 

• Haha 1

Last night was a small club venue, stage cluttered - even had a bagged up double bass in one corner and a piano in the other. Started with a small but enthusiastic criwd, who then grew to a full house for the second hot sweaty set. My predecessor with  the band was thete and was very kind praising my sound and dancing with his wife.

Today was Caerleon Arts Festival. Lots of angst as last year pa was poor. No worries as it turned out to be excellent. We went down a storm. Soundman told me I sounded like Jack Bruce  which has made my year 😎

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Another Bandeoke. This one outside at the Jolly Sailor. A lovely pub with the beer garden backing onto the River Avon at Saltford Lock. 

Beautiful and sunny, happy punters, Put my Elf through two cabs as we were outside. It coped effortlessly.

• Like 3

I did 3 gigs at the Dereham Blues Festival this weekend too. Only a half hour drive for me. We nearly melted getting the gear in and out of the venues on Saturday but you can’t blame the organisers for the weather. We had a blast and I would happily do it again but then, I don’t have to travel far and it is great publicity for local bands (kind of makes up for the money situation). We picked up a few bookings as a result.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Buddster said:

Excellent afternoon gig at the local beer festival near Bristol. Went very well, great fun

1573772494_Beerfestival.thumb.jpg.34498448e183d4384d93a40b0f27e7b2.jpg

Wow! Luxury stage! We dream of having that kind of space. Very impressive for a beer festival!

56 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Wow - you get your own green buckets, how posh!

😂 No expense spared! 

Though they really could have dressed the stage better to hide the scaffolding. But the beer was the main attraction, not the music. 

Penultimate gig with the trio on Friday night, nice easy biker club rally over 2 days with camping etc (not that any of us stayed over). We did the Friday then another band headlined Saturday. The monitoring is still ropey (they provide all PA) but FOH sounded fine apparently. It was sweltering on dance floor in front of stage yet some folks were still up and grooving away both sets which was nice. Having gigged so little i was concerned I'd get cramp in fretting hand (it's happened before after a lay off) but sailed through it no problem, got some good feedback from punters. I think the other two will probably carry on with another bass player but gigs have been very sporadic and the other 2 have now gone on to other side projects so that's not going to change.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Obrienp said:

I did 3 gigs at the Dereham Blues Festival this weekend too. Only a half hour drive for me. We nearly melted getting the gear in and out of the venues on Saturday but you can’t blame the organisers for the weather. We had a blast and I would happily do it again but then, I don’t have to travel far and it is great publicity for local bands (kind of makes up for the money situation). We picked up a few bookings as a result.

Where did you play? I did the Gemini, The Co ck and Arnie's. Just helping out a mate's trio on drums.  He usually stays with us when he plays up this way. I'm only in Necton so not far for me either. 

1 hour ago, leschirons said:

Where did you play? I did the Gemini, The Co ck and Arnie's. Just helping out a mate's trio on drums.  He usually stays with us when he plays up this way. I'm only in Necton so not far for me either. 

I like the Co ck, not sure about the others. We had the Bull on Friday evening (that was a step in for an act that couldn’t make it), which is a good outside gig. The Red Lion and the Cherry Tree on Saturday. Both of those were sweltering but an enthusiastic group of punters in them.

Edited by Obrienp

2 hours ago, Obrienp said:

I like the Co ck, not sure about the others. We had the Bull on Friday evening (that was a step in for an act that couldn’t make it), which is a good outside gig. The Red Lion and the Cherry Tree on Saturday. Both of those were sweltering but an enthusiastic group of punters in them.

The Co ck is a great place. Friendly, helpful staff and a great atmosphere. The Gemini is nice too. Put up an awning for us for a bit of shade, not too busy, but we were the first band but a nice crowd anyway.

Arnie's, not a place I'd want to play again. Nice land lady and staff but they have a 4am licence on Saturdays so it seems to attract all the wrong people. They have security (which we saw in action) who efficiently keep control but I'm now too old to put up with places like that.

Yup, they don't pay much at the festival but feel I had a result.  I took a shine to the guitarist's spare Strat and the next morning he offered me the guitar instead of my wages.

Pulled his arm off😆

20220710_164611.jpg

Edited by leschirons
More added.
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Arnie's, not a place I'd want to play again. Nice land lady and staff but they have a 4am licence on Saturdays so it seems to attract all the wrong people. They have security (which we saw in action) who efficiently keep control but I'm now too old to put up with places like that.

Yup, they don't pay much at the festival but feel I had a result.  I took a shine to the guitarist's spare Strat and the next morning he offered me the guitar instead of my wages.

Pulled his arm off😆

20220710_164611.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on Armie’s. I’ll remember to steer clear, if we get picked for next year’s DBF.

I wouldn’t be playing Norfolk pubs, if I was looking to make money TBH. It’s more for enjoyment. When you tot up all the hours spent loading and unloading gear, travelling to venues and playing the gig, you earn much less than the minimum wage. That’s before you consider the hours of practice and the cost of gear.

I think you definitely got a result with the Strat! Good deal!

• Like 2