Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Now that's a fantastic bass rig.

Nice bass too.

Dave

Thanks a lot!! I must admit my part of that bass rig is just the sideways ABM500rc

32 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Very smart! I clocked the headstock. Bit like Billy Talbot of Crazy Horse fame. 

Thanks a lot! Fun fact: I had no idea about how Billy Talbot's gear looked before posting this bass and reading people talk about him! Haha 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I liked the flats on my Sandberg VM4 but guitarist wanted a more aggressive sound for the Sweet songs we did so that ruled them out. We have a new guitarist now so might go back to them. I could put them on my P bass tho see how it sounds.

Dave

18 hours ago, Bunion said:

And this is why we have a bass ‘collection’ for all events 😂🤣

No, that's why we just don't listen to guitarists. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bunion said:

And this is why we have a bass ‘collection’ for all events 😂🤣

Well, that's how I convinced myself to have two of everything, but they've all ended up with flats on anyway!

• Haha 1

Great gig at the Moorcock in Peterlee last night.

We played a good first set but the backline volume levels went a bit crazy in the second half (typical twin guitarists)!

Nice to be back in a busy venue again after a few poorly attended gigs recently.

• Like 4

So my best mate from school was returning from Atanta, GA to the UK and it would have been rude not to get him to reunite onstage with me for the first time since 1990. We'd recently gotten the drummer to do the same and although I couldn't get 4 schedules to match, he joined my duo for our first live performance in 32yrs. He's long stopped playing but plays a bit of ukulele so I sent him some videos and chord patterns. When we arrived at the venue, the PA guy hadn't shown up and the barman was particularly useless. However, I went on a charm offensive and he agreed we could do the songs unplugged. Nick the singer had a VERY powerful voice and I used his mandocello. History was made, albeit a history that won't matter too much to anyone not in the below picture. Hopefully my friend will be back next year and we'll aim to get the whole band back out of retirement. (if anyone is curious, the legs behind me belong to the promoter who insisted on busking along with us).

thumbnail_ef345beb-ef9a-449c-a5f1-06e033a4d78d.thumb.jpg.d9db2f32553359bdfb76ce1d89a1ae6c.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Davy said:

Great gig at the Moorcock in Peterlee last night.

We played a good first set but the backline volume levels went a bit crazy in the second half (typical twin guitarists)!

Nice to be back in a busy venue again after a few poorly attended gigs recently.

Really?!? Two guitarists on stage and the volume went up? You must be mistaken. “Well, I haven’t touched my volume” etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

(typical twin guitarists)!

I believe the mathematical equation for this is  V=(N*(Vmax*N))+11 Where V is the volume in arbitrary volume notches on the master knob, Vmax is the maximum volume you though was possible from the combination of the guitar amps and N is the number of guitarists. 11 is, of course, the universal Spinal Tap constant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just back from a festival set. Used my new favourite combination of Elf/BF Midget. Assumed there was quite a lot of bass in the foldback on stage - but no! Engineer told me afterwards a little bit in the drummer's side fill, and nowhere else.

That little Elf (and if course the BF cab) is a true wonder.

• Like 4

Not really a gig, but one of bands was invited to a Grateful Dead themed jam at a rather fine location on the other side of Oxford. Wonderful views across to the Chilterns some miles away. 

It was basically a group of people who regularly jam together in London, plus two of us from Franklin's Tower. We joined them to play four songs - I replaced their bass player and my band mate brought the number of guitarists on stage to five, plus keyboards, bass, and drums. 

Unfortunately, I was squeezed in behind the keyboard player, the drummer and three (!) rhythm guitarists and could make out what anyone was playing, it was just wall of noise. Sounded fine out front, but the stage monitoring was not able to compete with the backline - there were times when it seemed as though at least two people were playing a different song to the rest of us, or at least a different section.

Nice guys, but they need to get the PA sorted. It was a good day out with a bandmate, spoilt by having to play!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just had my post gig cheese on toast.

Three dep gigs yesterday (9th) all on drums after a 13 year hiatus. First, 2-3pm in the afternoon, very nervous. Second, 6-7pm, really enjoyed it and went down well.

Last on, 10pm - midnight. Absolutely knackered afterwards.

All three with same band at the Dereham blues festival. 

Probably wouldn't do it again however, a good experience.

keith drums.jpeg

Edited by leschirons
Added pic
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Not really a gig, but one of bands was invited to a Grateful Dead themed jam

11 hours ago, FinnDave said:

it was just wall of noise.

I see what you did there 😂🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, leschirons said:

I played at Arnie's on Friday night!  Which was a mixed affair and not exactly what I was expecting.  People drifting in and out all evening - there were 6 pubs with bands that night.  Took me 3 hrs to get to Dereham, not sure I'd be in a hurry to do it again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, leschirons said:

Just had my post gig cheese on toast.

Three dep gigs yesterday (9th) all on drums after a 13 year hiatus. First, 2-3pm in the afternoon, very nervous. Second, 6-7pm, really enjoyed it and went down well.

Last on, 10pm - midnight. Absolutely knackered afterwards.

Probably wouldn't do it again however, a good experience.

I played on the platform of the old railway station at the same festival last night.  A good setting but if you ever play it do not play a single note after 11pm or the woman in charge will go of her head spouting licensing issues. We had one verse and chorus to finish.  

Now awake and showered on Sunday for a 12 noon gig.  

• Like 3

Took part in a 4 band charity evening at a local pub. Due to other folk’s commitments we had to play with a scratch band, me and the drummer from our own plus a guitarist we know but have only played with at jam nights. We shared vocals. We chose a 40 minute set of songs we all knew and managed one rehearsal. It was good to play in a trio, Robin Trower’s Bridge of Sighs being a particularly fun one to do.

The best part of the evening for me concerned my rig. The bassist of the Tomkatz used my Markbass LM3 and Barefaced Midget T. Playing a Fender Sting signature precision with a pick he sounded really good. The setup more than held its own with a vigorous drummer too.  The photo is me with my Harley Benton shorty.

Sad to report that the only people who felt it necessary to wear hats indoors were in my band.  🤔😆

08691C82-B2B3-4281-89F8-6FA6C443C27A.jpeg

Edited by Len_derby
Speling
  • Like 6

A different gig for me - running my HK/X32 rig for a 5 piece band at a private function.

Had a weird cross-talk issue between 2 guitar inputs but instead of burning time trying to fix it I just moved a guitar to a different channel and all is good.  Other than that a pretty straight forward gig - nice and early arrival and load in, sound check took 30 mins and that was it until showtime.

Single 1hr 45 min set, then an hour to break down and load the van - I'll take that!

0F6760DF-159D-498B-ABDA-D650B71AAC73_1_201_a.jpeg

EC942E10-A50B-4C01-9C90-FC93738C21E5.jpeg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, NoRhino said:

I played on the platform of the old railway station at the same festival last night.  A good setting but if you ever play it do not play a single note after 11pm or the woman in charge will go of her head spouting licensing issues. We had one verse and chorus to finish.  

Now awake and showered on Sunday for a 12 noon gig.  

Where's the gig today?

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

I played at Arnie's on Friday night!  Which was a mixed affair and not exactly what I was expecting.  People drifting in and out all evening - there were 6 pubs with bands that night.  Took me 3 hrs to get to Dereham, not sure I'd be in a hurry to do it again.

Yup, Arnie's was the late one for us. Not exactly the jazz lounge at Claridge's. Pi** heads in abundance but at least the landlady had it under control.

Played a small local festival yesterday and although we were supposed to be on quite a bit later in the running order, our singer had a prior arrangement so we had to go on at 4pm. 

The "professional" sound engineers were possibly the surliest people I've encountered and for the first two songs there were no vocals or acoustic guitar through the monitors. Once they fixed that and after we/the audience endured three minutes or so of intermittent feedback, we actually played very well and have picked up a number of gigs on the back of it. My goodness it was hot work though and I'm glad I gigged the Status as I was worried about the heat affecting the action on my wooden necked basses which happened to me a few times before.

Unusually for me, it was so hot I wore shorts on stage and the highlight was being told by one of the ladies in audience I had nice legs. I thanked her very much for the compliment but it was somewhat spoilt when I saw her looking for her guide dog shortly afterwards that was hovering by the food stand. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Unusually for me, it was so hot I wore shorts on stage and the highlight was being told by one of the ladies in audience I had nice legs. I thanked her very much for the compliment but it was somewhat spoilt when I saw her looking for her guide dog shortly afterwards that was hovering by the food stand. 

Look on the bright side. Your legs are so good you can actually hear it!

Edited by SICbass
  • Haha 1

Late afternoon 45 min slot at "Tetfest" (free music festival in Tetbury, Gloucs). Open air gig, my god it was hot but at least it was under cover. We played well, crowd loved us judging by the cheers and dancing.

IMG-20220709-WA0005.thumb.jpg.9aca190dc0231341b48a6bdeff07de77.jpg

Suave, elegant, sophisticated... Yes, those are definitely words.

IMG-20220710-WA0007.thumb.jpg.754e67171e2f321b6650104461d13097.jpg

• Like 7