Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, Dazm66 said:

Played a party at the weekend and was introduced to one of the guests. “She’s Jack Bruce’s daughter” the host tells me..thankfully after we finished or it would have been a very nervous performance indeed!

WOW that's pretty cool. Jack Bruce was one of my main influences back in late 70's.

Dave

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

Thanks Dave. It's been my main bass since late 2016. it's on a few albums now and went from being my main bass in one band to my default in most bands. Rics can be hard work but I find this one (my second time of Ric ownership) to be a good fit. It's the s model so no binding and dots rather than inlays on the fretboard. I added the black pickguard and TRC. Plus the strings are neon red, which is lost in a world of moody black and white photos! The photographer took a better shot of it from the weekend here. 

104853971_LexMe.jpg.cc2ecca3422789ed15e634d0c44066a4.jpg

Def a nice colour. Cant say i've seen many of them. Also think it suits your image too. I know that's very shallow but that's just me.

Bass has to look good and play well of course.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Thanks 1

First gig for my Nordstrand Acinonyx on Saturday evening. Not an auspicious start as my monitor, that had worked fine at rehearsal two days before, was DOA. I must have had a premonition, as I had taken a spare active pa speaker, which can be used on its side in monitor mode but we didn’t have the right cable to daisy chain it to the mini monitor used by the main vocalist. We had to do the whole gig with just the PA speaker between him and me. Fantastic monitor tone but not the same short range dispersal as a wedge. I couldn’t hear my backing vocals all night, so I was probably flat as a pancake.

The Acinonyx was great. Lots of useful preset tones to call up at the press of a button. Those buttons aren’t just a gimmick. However, the tension of all the hassle setting up must have made me hit the strings extra hard and I had developed a large blood blister on my forefinger by the end of our two hour set. Just in time for two gigs coming up this Saturday at the Dereham Blues Festival. No monitor and I might have to play with a pick: it never rains but it pours!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Obrienp said:

First gig for my Nordstrand Acinonyx on Saturday evening. Not an auspicious start as my monitor, that had worked fine at rehearsal two days before, was DOA. I must have had a premonition, as I had taken a spare active pa speaker, which can be used on its side in monitor mode but we didn’t have the right cable to daisy chain it to the mini monitor used by the main vocalist. We had to do the whole gig with just the PA speaker between him and me. Fantastic monitor tone but not the same short range dispersal as a wedge. I couldn’t hear my backing vocals all night, so I was probably flat as a pancake.

The Acinonyx was great. Lots of useful preset tones to call up at the press of a button. Those buttons aren’t just a gimmick. However, the tension of all the hassle setting up must have made me hit the strings extra hard and I had developed a large blood blister on my forefinger by the end of our two hour set. Just in time for two gigs coming up this Saturday at the Dereham Blues Festival. No monitor and I might have to play with a pick: it never rains but it pours!

I get sore fingers / water blisters after almost every gig and i've tried playing lighter and its ok but songs dont have the same feel when i play like that. The audience have commented on it. They can feel the energy in the band (punk band). 

Think the big problem for me is i practice at home with a light touch so by the time i gig again usually every 2weeks my fingertips have gone soft again. I've started to practice harder at home to see if that maintains the hard skin on my fingertips for the next gig / rehearsal.

It was ok when i was either gigging or rehearsing every week it never seemed to be a problem but that was pre-covid.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I get sore fingers / water blisters after almost every gig and i've tried playing lighter and its ok but songs dont have the same feel when i play like that. The audience have commented on it. They can feel the energy in the band (punk band). 

Think the big problem for me is i practice at home with a light touch so by the time i gig again usually every 2weeks my fingertips have gone soft again. I've started to practice harder at home to see if that maintains the hard skin on my fingertips for the next gig / rehearsal.

It was ok when i was either gigging or rehearsing every week it never seemed to be a problem but that was pre-covid.

Dave

I play pretty much exclusively finger style, also with a heavy touch on gigs.  I usually leave the nails a little longer on index and second finger to help but it doesn't always work.  I can play with a pick but for some reason I don't feel as connected and enjoy it less so that becomes an 'emergency technique' only.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I play pretty much exclusively finger style, also with a heavy touch on gigs.  I usually leave the nails a little longer on index and second finger to help but it doesn't always work.  I can play with a pick but for some reason I don't feel as connected and enjoy it less so that becomes an 'emergency technique' only.

Exact same here. Last gig my index finger-nail broke lifting gear into venue so i had to trim it and the middle  finger to keep the tone even. That's happened a few times now and i'm at the stage where i'm just gonna stick with short nails.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Yeah. I think that might be my issue. Light touch in practice and rehearsals and a month’s gap since the last gig. I normally have longish finger nails as well because I play finger picking style acoustic but I had to cut them before the last gig. I’m practising with a pick this week to give the blister a chance to recover and hope I will be able to tough it out during the gig. If not, my pick technique might be a bit better, so I will have it as a fallback.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Yeah. I think that might be my issue. Light touch in practice and rehearsals and a month’s gap since the last gig. I normally have longish finger nails as well because I play finger picking style acoustic but I had to cut them before the last gig. I’m practising with a pick this week to give the blister a chance to recover and hope I will be able to tough it out during the gig. If not, my pick technique might be a bit better, so I will have it as a fallback.

I know a few players that steep their playing fingers in vinegar which they tell me hardens the fingertips.

No idea if its true and might even try that one too.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Just received a video of part of our set at the Playing on the Farm festival near Cirencester last weekend - celebrating 50 years since the Grateful Dead released their live in Europe 72 album. 

This song was the second or third in our two hour slot. I played my recently acquired 2010 Precision Standard through my Ashdown ABM 500 2x10 combo. Sounded just how I've always wanted to sound!

https://fb.watch/e5hohORpye/

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Sounding good Dave. Is that just the amp i'm hearing. Lot  of nice depth and clarity with some really nice bass playing there. Band sounds top class.

Enjoyed that. 

Dave

Thanks, Dave - I think it is mostly the bass combo as the person filming was on my side of the stage, though that also put them near one side of the PA. The sound crew took a DI feed from my amp and also mic'd up the cab. There is an audio recording from further back in the marquee which sounds quite similar in terms of bass tone and overall balance. I love the tone of my Ashdown combos - so much so I now have three of the backbreaking beasts!

First time that band has played to a Deadhead audience, and it really brought out the best in all of us - that and the decent monitoring which meant we could hear each other properly - a rare treat!

• Like 1

I know Ashdown are producing a physically small all valve amp head but no idea what the price will be.

The CTM 100 would be too wide for my Mesa cabs and cause an overhang. I'd prefer my amp to be same or less width than cabs otherwise the CTM might have been an option for me.

Liking your tone tho.

Dave 

I didn't know about the new valve head - but I am happy with the sound from my 20 year old ABM combos - finally got the tone I have had in my head for years. Precision bass, flat wound strings and an ABM. If only I knew years ago how effective that simple set up could be!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I didn't know about the new valve head - but I am happy with the sound from my 20 year old ABM combos - finally got the tone I have had in my head for years. Precision bass, flat wound strings and an ABM. If only I knew years ago how effective that simple set up could be!

I liked the flats on my Sandberg VM4 but guitarist wanted a more aggressive sound for the Sweet songs we did so that ruled them out. We have a new guitarist now so might go back to them. I could put them on my P bass tho see how it sounds.

Dave

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

I liked the flats on my Sandberg VM4 but guitarist wanted a more aggressive sound for the Sweet songs we did so that ruled them out. We have a new guitarist now so might go back to them. I could put them on my P bass tho see how it sounds.

Dave

And this is why we have a bass ‘collection’ for all events 😂🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So this was the Friday before our Silverstone gig - the regular Band 'Tess and the Durbevilles opening at Chilfest'

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?height=316&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ftessandthedurbervilles%2Fvideos%2F822316595421654%2F&show_text=false&width=560&t=0" width="560" height="316" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Edited by dontregartha

11 minutes ago, dontregartha said:

So this was the Friday before our Silverstone gig - the regular Band 'Tess and the Durbevilles opening at Chilfest'

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?height=316&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ftessandthedurbervilles%2Fvideos%2F822316595421654%2F&show_text=false&width=560&t=0" width="560" height="316" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Like this? 

https://www.facebook.com/tessandthedurbervilles/videos/822316595421654/&show_text=false&width=560&t=0

12 minutes ago, dontregartha said:

Are you a Kraftwerk tribute?

On 05/07/2022 at 17:10, SonnyBassPlayer said:

I went pretty rad! We had the chance of playing a very nice underground festival of our area; we had a technical issue (the guitarist's tuner broke during a song and killed the signal) but overall we had great feedback!

1336835079_WhatsAppImage2022-07-03at16_45_35.thumb.jpeg.c837019c35a881330b383d05dab6768d.jpeg

What bass are you using?

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

What bass are you using?

Hi! I'm currently using a P bass I made up with parts: the body is laquer finished alder by an Italian luthier I scored used, the neck is the Fender replacement part 51 tele neck I got new on discount, the pickup is a Re'62 I had since 2011

1756332074_Screenshot(614).thumb.png.4e0955101aa8cf5075f1638840db3ebb.png

I think it plays and sound great for the expense!

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, SonnyBassPlayer said:

Hi! I'm currently using a P bass I made up with parts: the body is laquer finished alder by an Italian luthier I scored used, the neck is the Fender replacement part 51 tele neck I got new on discount, the pickup is a Re'62 I had since 2011

Now that's a fantastic bass rig.

Nice bass too.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonnyBassPlayer said:

Very smart! I clocked the headstock. Bit like Billy Talbot of Crazy Horse fame. 

• Like 1