Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

13 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

i've done gigs like that :(

Yup, me too. Especially strange when they’ve paid a lot of money for the band, guess it’s just been booked

by people who don’t know their audience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

i've done gigs like that :(

I have done a few gigs where I think the audience would have been happier with the DJ, but this was one of the first where i really would have been happier with the DJ too!

To be fair, the DJs were very helpful and friendly!

26 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have done a few gigs where I think the audience would have been happier with the DJ, but this was one of the first where i really would have been happier with the DJ too!

To be fair, the DJs were very helpful and friendly!

We had one, a birthday party at the start of the year. Birthday bloke is a really big fan and loved it, but 60% or so of the rest weren't really interested and spent the time chatting loudly, whilst standing in front of us.

Still, free beer and close enough to walk home from!

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

Weddings, usually...especially when you give the DJ your setlist and ask him not to overlap...and then the last three songs he plays before you go on are in your first set...pfffffttt...

We get that regularly at both the Glam and Punk gigs. Think its just the DJ's random choice tho rather than deliberate..........i hope.

Dave

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Then the disco - I think they would have been much happier with the disco without us interrupting, and I think so would we.

Generally that's the reason we shy away from parties/weddings/anniversary do's.  You just know a good portion of the audience would prefer dancing to their preferred genre and the band is just getting in the way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Generally that's the reason we shy away from parties/weddings/anniversary do's.  You just know a good portion of the audience would prefer dancing to their preferred genre and the band is just getting in the way.

Often the case (especially christmas work do's), but the last two weddings we have done have gone down a storm, the wedding before last the bride danced for the whole 2.5 hours of our set, and she wasn't even the one who booked us.

• Like 1

Yesterday I did a village fete gig with the music trust I play with.

The "band leader" person had been asked for all manner of details for weeks and didn't have a clue other than "there was a stage with power" and that other acts would be on throughout the day.

Available for this we had 14 brass and wind players, bass and drums. The blowers are aged 10-18. They were understandably nervous.

In light of the stinky poo information from Dear Leader me and drummer took everything with us. Full kit, amps, cabs, spares etc etc. After carrying 3 tons of gear down some narrow country footpaths for half a mile we discovered a pro stage with full PA a full time sound man and enough channels to mic or di everything and his mum. There was a covers band set up and they offered us the use of their drums and bass gear that was already dialed in and mixed.

I only ended up using my bass and my pedal board and none of the amps and cabs I bought. And the covers band didn't even want our drummer to swap the snare over. So with all that sorted out we played for 35-40 mins or so, had a blast and then carried all the crap back to the cars again!

Cannot blame the fete organisers at all - their arrangements were excellent. But I will be having words with our leader about getting proper information!

Anyway - so far there's only 25 seconds of video.

The drummer for this tune is only about 10 years old. He played for 2 tunes and it was his first ever show. His timing drifted a bit but I think he did a great job for a first time.

https://fb.watch/dVuQqTTi1u/

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Muzz said:

Weddings, usually...especially when you give the DJ your setlist and ask him not to overlap...and then the last three songs he plays before you go on are in your first set...pfffffttt...

We once gave a wedding DJ our set list, and came back to the gig to find him playing it - he thought it

was suggestions for him to play. F*ckwit.

• Haha 8

So after the terrible gig on Friday night, we played a mini festival gig at the Rose Inn in Wallsend on Saturday night.

Not a huge crowd but they were friendly and appreciative and I only needed to turn up with my bass, as the PA and backline were provided.

Left my house for the gig at 8pm, on stage at 9pm, finished by 10pm and home by 11pm after watching some of the last band's set.

What a difference a day makes...

rose inn.jpg

• Like 6

Last nights gig....

A 2 hour drive to a cracking looking venue right in the middle of town, parked right outside so load in and out was a breeze...

Sound was good, we played well...

The crowd consisted of around 10 people, the majority of which had no real interest in us and or music. The owner did apologise for the lack of numbers though.

A 2 hour hour uneventful drive home from what was basically a paid rehearsal.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ozzy138 said:

Last nights gig....

A 2 hour drive to a cracking looking venue right in the middle of town, parked right outside so load in and out was a breeze...

Sound was good, we played well...

The crowd consisted of around 10 people, the majority of which had no real interest in us and or music. The owner did apologise for the lack of numbers though.

A 2 hour hour uneventful drive home from what was basically a paid rehearsal.

Seems to be a lot of that at the moment. I'm finding most people can only afford to go out one night a week if at all and its usually a Sat night.

Its odd tho as we've played a few Sunday afternoon gigs with Glam band in clubs and they've been full. 

Maybe its age related. ?

Treating them as paid rehearsals is the best way to approach it until economy sorts itself out somehow.

As long as you enjoyed it that's all that really matters.

Dave

• Like 1

Last night we played in Sheffield as part of their 2022 'Music in the Gardens' series of events. We were supposed to be doing this

before but Covid caused it to be deferred until now. Great crowd of around 1500 or so in the Botanical Gardens, all enjoying the

evening. Weather looked dodgy at times but the rain fortunately held off. I like doing gigs like these, make a nice change from

our usual theatre stuff and also means I can wind my amp up a bit more without causing our sound tech any headaches!

16d6a743-3cb5-452d-b1b0-7d0cf029a074.JPG

87e7118d-df74-4def-ac2c-0d9560cae68d.JPG

055f091b-95b8-41f8-856e-d68f91a532a5.JPG

ffc637b1-7142-4108-9c0a-e20120df778e.JPG

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

Last night we played in Sheffield as part of their 2022 'Music in the Gardens' series of events. We were supposed to be doing this

before but Covid caused it to be deferred until now. Great crowd of around 1500 or so in the Botanical Gardens, all enjoying the

evening. Weather looked dodgy at times but the rain fortunately held off. I like doing gigs like these, make a nice change from

our usual theatre stuff and also means I can wind my amp up a bit more without causing our sound tech any headaches!

16d6a743-3cb5-452d-b1b0-7d0cf029a074.JPG

87e7118d-df74-4def-ac2c-0d9560cae68d.JPG

055f091b-95b8-41f8-856e-d68f91a532a5.JPG

ffc637b1-7142-4108-9c0a-e20120df778e.JPG

If you haven't seen this band you need to get along to one of their gigs. Absolute professionalism and an amazing set of ELO hits.

I've never been an "ELO fan" as such. I knew some or most of their hits but when you hear The ELO Experience you realise you knew more than you thought. 

Just a fantastic show watching guys that look as tho they are having a great night. 

Highlight for me was the girls dancing and singing along while playing their cello's. Everyone on stage just loving what they do and that rubs off on the audience. It makes you feel happy.

Dave 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Soul destroying gig last night, only our second of this year, normally we would have done 10 to 15  at this point in a year.

Played a pub in a small village, one of the locals either got married or had some sort of party, so most of the village probably attended, our audience at the pub was the barman and two punters, we only played our first set and then the two punters left, the barman said we might as well pack up and paid us our full fee.

I’m seriously considering calling it a day for gigging at the end of this year, Covid has absolutely hammered the live music scene around here, it was always very buoyant pre Covid.

Edited by steantval
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, steantval said:

Soul destroying gig last night, only our second of this year, normally we would have done 10 to 15  at this point in a year.

Played a pub in a small village, one of the locals either got married or had some sort of party, so most of the village probably attended, our audience at the pub was the barman and two punters, we only played our first set and then the two punters left, the barman said we might as well pack up and paid us our full fee.

I’m seriously considering calling it a day for gigging at the end of this year, Covid has absolutely hammered the live music scene around here, it was always very buoyant pre Covid.

Stick with it, i'm sure audiences will return once things settle down again.

Dave

• Like 2

I’m seriously considering calling it a day for gigging at the end of this year

It's never a good idea to think like that after a bad gig - if I had, I'd have left my band several times every year. 😀 We're still in strange times, with prices on the increase and Covid sneaking back and I guess people are still a little nervous about heading out. Keep going and keep the music going so that there is something for everyone to aim for and as my namesake said above, the audiences will return.

Free rehearsal space for the night, damn, play that room like it’s Glastonbury and you still got paid 😄

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Seems to be a lot of that at the moment. I'm finding most people can only afford to go out one night a week if at all and its usually a Sat night.

Its odd tho as we've played a few Sunday afternoon gigs with Glam band in clubs and they've been full. 

Maybe its age related. ?

Treating them as paid rehearsals is the best way to approach it until economy sorts itself out somehow.

As long as you enjoyed it that's all that really matters.

Dave

I think you're right....

We've done gigs this year on a Friday and they have been packed out events, played Saturdays to almost empty venues...

• Like 1