Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Ours was ok(ish). The sound left a bit to be desired and monitoring wasn't ace (I ended up without a monitor and given that I now run amp-less, it wasn't ideal). 

A couple of other band members decided they didn't like the sound from my preamp (despite it being the 4th outing with that setup) and also decided that the bass being too loud in their monitors was a result of my not having an amp. This, combined with a bout of sciatica and some not great family stuff, led to me being a bit grumpy and needing a bit of space before we played. 

Fortunately, we kissed and made up before we played and performed well, according to those who were watching.

• Like 2

Ours was good, it was a village pub ½ hr from here, outside in a tent (one of those big teepee ones). 

Easy enough setup as there was a stage for the drum and we could park next to the tent, although I threw a bit of a strop that I get all the PA stuff out while the rest of them were messing round with the banner, but it was an easy setup and the singers son was there and helped with the setup.

Sound was great - I think it is easier to do sound outside without reflections and I brought the sub.

It was a short 2 hour gig and also 7-9 rather than 9-12, so it was a nice thing. A bit cold though, considering I had been in the sea on the previous day trying to cool down, it was a bit of a change. But the audience were good, a lot of dancing in the first set, which is unusual, and then the more usual, not much until half 8 then "1 more song' from 9 until we finally did finish 20 minutes later

• Like 3

Third sunday in a row at the same cocktail bar. Last week it was empty amd left us feeling flat. This time we did some social media and they put a board outside. We got a small but highly enthusiastic audience who had a fantastic time, and so did we. Lots of extended improv and several impromptu solos. Also I used my TE Elf to see how it would gig with the GR Bass AT212 and the Epiphone Embassy. The sound was immense and the Embassy incredibly versatile. So a good night.

• Like 12

A great theatre gig at Wimborne Tivoli on Friday night with our 'big' production (lasers, pyro, video screens etc). By all accounts the sound was excellent and visually we nailed it. We got a fantastic audience response and the European agents who had flown in to see the show were suitably impressed. Everything crossed for a Belgium, Holland & Germany tour at some point next year! Woo!

• Like 12

Played in the Latch Lifter in Ilkeston for the first time on Saturday. I was a bit on edge, as I do a lot of ...community... work around there, and I REALLY didn't want to be recognised, however even though I was tense, I played well and the whole band sounded really quite tight. 

Set up was a doddle, and the stage there is excellent. The entire pub is exactly what playing in covers bands or tribute bands is about. The stage looks over a large dance floor and bar which was packed, and even the balcony on the first floor that circles above the dance floor was full by the end. 

Our friendly bands told us that its quite a tough bar to get moving, however we had people dancing and singing right from track 1 all the way through to the encore's encore. Things started to get interesting when we had a stage visitor take over the lead vocals for "Dakota" (you have to play it, right?). She was utterly terrible and barely knew the words but appeared to be a local hero as the crowd- they were loving it and were recording her. .. so there she stayed for the song. For the last few tracks, we had some younger ladies on stage trying to dance with me or the guitarist too. I kicked my pedals away from under their feet, and enjoyed the show, to be honest...

Fun crowd. 

• Like 8

On 18/06/2022 at 13:21, Rich said:

I had tech troubles in the intro to the opening song of the set... everything worked fine at rehearsal on Wednesday... everything worked fine at soundcheck... and then on the 'wuh' of 'one two three four' it all goes Pete Tong 🤬🤬  the problem appears to lie either with my FX board or the cable snake, when I took them out of the path it was all good. Investigation works tomorrow.

Sounded ok once we got going though :) 

• Like 9

On 19/06/2022 at 11:51, neepheid said:

A total bust. Booked to play at a football club out in the sticks. Not one person turned up. Played most of the first set to two staff, then they came up and told us they were just going to close up. Paid us anyway, and for what it's worth said they liked us.

Weird limbo-like feeling on the way home having played half a gig and getting home 2.5 hours earlier than expected.

Seems that there isn't more to supporting your local wee football team than attending matches :(

Oh well, these things happen.

When gigs like that happen with nobody, or nearly nobody there or paying attention, we treat it as a paid rehearsal.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AScheck9 said:

Played in the Latch Lifter in Ilkeston for the first time on Saturday. I was a bit on edge, as I do a lot of ...community... work around there, and I REALLY didn't want to be recognised, however even though I was tense, I played well and the whole band sounded really quite tight. 

Set up was a doddle, and the stage there is excellent. The entire pub is exactly what playing in covers bands or tribute bands is about. The stage looks over a large dance floor and bar which was packed, and even the balcony on the first floor that circles above the dance floor was full by the end. 

Our friendly bands told us that its quite a tough bar to get moving, however we had people dancing and singing right from track 1 all the way through to the encore's encore. Things started to get interesting when we had a stage visitor take over the lead vocals for "Dakota" (you have to play it, right?). She was utterly terrible and barely knew the words but appeared to be a local hero as the crowd- they were loving it and were recording her. .. so there she stayed for the song. For the last few tracks, we had some younger ladies on stage trying to dance with me or the guitarist too. I kicked my pedals away from under their feet, and enjoyed the show, to be honest...

Fun crowd. 

Great place, always enjoined playing there. I know what you mean about being recognised, the last time we played our drummer was a trainee copper. Luckily, she didn’t have her uniform on 😆 A different kind of place nearby,  but with a similar atmosphere, is The Crossroads Tavern at Alfreton. Worth a try to get a gig if you’ve not been.

• Like 1

We've had a really busy month so far, belting round the UK in ever decreasing circles.

Had a mammoth trek from Yorkshire down to Truro on Thursday to play a gig at the recently refurbished Hall for Cornwall.

One of the best venues we've done, with great staff and top notch backstage facilities as well as a good sounding room.

We had nearly a full house of 1200 punters, and played one of our best gigs for ages. Well worth the trip (even in a bus with no air con on one of the hottest days for ages!)

Also managed to grab a quick chat with our own OBBM cables

maestro Dave, great to catch up with him.

IMG_2085.thumb.JPG.d04db13a7d1f2fe1b665267315ccc18e.JPG

cc774e0c-97d0-49d0-a4f7-9afac6c947b0.thumb.JPG.80da9c46d2c77cffba3dba2010b18aed.JPG

Friday we schlepped across to Bromley, again in blistering heat and loads of road closures, and then back homewards to York Barbican on Saturday night. Another brill venue, and one of the few that has easy get in from the internal loading bay ( see pic below).

Another good turn out, and back home by midnight.

923d347b-5aec-458d-b181-8f09400e9af8.thumb.JPG.b9c58a27731eb4fe67ab6b225c85300c.JPG

IMG_2087.thumb.JPG.471ecd2292194f096d0419e9dbea3695.JPG

Finishing June off with gigs in St Albans, Ipswich and two nights in Bury St Edmunds, so hoping the weather stays a bit cooler!

Edited by casapete
Pics
  • Like 18

8 hours ago, casapete said:

We've had a really busy month so far, belting round the UK in ever decreasing circles.

Had a mammoth trek from Yorkshire down to Truro on Thursday to play a gig at the recently refurbished Hall for Cornwall.

One of the best venues we've done, with great staff and top notch backstage facilities as well as a good sounding room.

We had nearly a full house of 1200 punters, and played one of our best gigs for ages. Well worth the trip (even in a bus with no air con on one of the hottest days for ages!)

Also managed to grab a quick chat with our own OBBM cables

maestro Dave, great to catch up with him.

IMG_2085.thumb.JPG.d04db13a7d1f2fe1b665267315ccc18e.JPG

cc774e0c-97d0-49d0-a4f7-9afac6c947b0.thumb.JPG.80da9c46d2c77cffba3dba2010b18aed.JPG

Friday we schlepped across to Bromley, again in blistering heat and loads of road closures, and then back homewards to York Barbican on Saturday night. Another brill venue, and one of the few that has easy get in from the internal loading bay ( see pic below).

Another good turn out, and back home by midnight.

923d347b-5aec-458d-b181-8f09400e9af8.thumb.JPG.b9c58a27731eb4fe67ab6b225c85300c.JPG

IMG_2087.thumb.JPG.471ecd2292194f096d0419e9dbea3695.JPG

Finishing June off with gigs in St Albans, Ipswich and two nights in Bury St Edmunds, so hoping the weather stays a bit cooler!

ELO(E)+OBBM= ? 😂

• Haha 1

Worst gig of the year so far tonight!

3 people in, terrible acoustics and just when I thought it couldn't get any worse they told us it was too loud!

Oh yes and I'm writing this in the break so I've got to go back on in 5 mins! Short second set I think...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Davy said:

3 people in, terrible acoustics and just when I thought it couldn't get any worse they told us it was too loud!

Oh yes and I'm writing this in the break so I've got to go back on in 5 mins! Short second set I think...

Ahh your playing the cheese and grain in Frome? 😂🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davy said:

Hope it improved!

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Hope it improved!

Sadly not. The highlight of the evening was the McDonald's on the journey back and the Dairy Milk waiting for me in the freezer when I got home! 🤣

Onwards and upwards though, we've got a small festival gig tomorrow night with actual paying punters so that's something to look forward to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davy said:

Apologies for the laugh emoji but the fact you were writing it during the break just made me laugh a bit.

Many of us have been in that position. I certainly have but the 6 people there all bought the band tape (it was a long time ago) :tatice_03:

Dave

• Haha 1

First gig for a while, it’s a repeat booking for a local prom. Strange one on paper but we always get a cracking reception. We adapt the set a bit and Chuck in a few more modern ones. Ended up playing three hours and loving it but boy am I knackered this morning!

Edited by T-Bay
  • Like 5

Did a guest appearance at our local metal to the masses final last night. Not gigged since desertfest and whilst it was only a 30min set, nice to blow the cobwebs off. Matamp and barefaced combo with the Spector sounded great and got to crank stage volume a bit. 

Gigs on hold for a while now until we've finished the next album ✌️

FB_IMG_1656150984023.thumb.jpg.f79aab81cd1a497a34a1f5de625f2df9.jpg

• Like 5

Made the mistake of gigging in the west country during Glastonbury weekend. The handful of folk there gathered enjoyed the band. I enjoyed my new bass, but didn't enjoy not stuffing crumpled notes into my back pocket at the end of the evening.

Green King. Wonder when we'll get paid?

IMG_20220624_205356.jpg

• Like 5

Small music pub in Stowmarket, The Pickerel Inn.  Hardly anyone there but those that were made it feel like we were playing Glasto.  Even the A12 being shut and diverted through unlit country lanes couldn't take the shine off the night. 

And - bonus point - drummer took the pa, which I usually babysit, having realised his seats fold flat to give a van-type space.  Precedent set.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

And - bonus point - drummer took the pa, which I usually babysit having realised his seats fold flat to give a van-type space.  Precedent set.

You should buy a sports car while you have the chance!🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3