Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

16 hours ago, martthebass said:

A very compact and bijou workspace for last night’s gig in a pub in Huddersfield, reminds me why I use short scales for most gigs. A bit of an adjustment after a run of gigs in larger clubs and bikers rallies. 

A good night was had by all though and the LL informed us of remodelling work, knocking out walls which will mean a decent stage area for the next one. Up at the Farmyard rally in Helmsley next week so plenty of shoulder room!75FF4718-E235-4AE9-96EB-81FC16D05089.thumb.jpeg.c23af7250e4cc64722ab3aa8f7326b66.jpeg

Lefty guitar players shrink stages too.

On lead guitar again with a Rock’n’roll band. During setup the drummer found that the jack socket for the trigger cable had fallen inside the body of his electronic cymbal. I opened it up (14 screws!) and managed to gaffer-tape the PCB in place. This got us through the rather excellent gig, after which I nipped home with the cymbal and fixed it properly with a nut from my spares stash, and Mr Drummer picked it up on his way home.

I love a good kit fix!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

On lead guitar again with a Rock’n’roll band. During setup the drummer found that the jack socket for the trigger cable had fallen inside the body of his electronic cymbal. I opened it up (14 screws!) and managed to gaffer-tape the PCB in place. This got us through the rather excellent gig, after which I nipped home with the cymbal and fixed it properly with a nut from my spares stash, and Mr Drummer picked it up on his way home.

I love a good kit fix!

Well done :hi:

Dave :D

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

I love a good kit fix!

image.png.de89f808b8b38e30a0354f86938266b7.png

• Haha 2

I had three gigs Thursday through Saturday (local, Hull and East London) and a video shoot on the Sunday (Bristol). I was kind of relieved when Thursday AND Saturday's shows both got pulled / postponed. Friday night was a trek from Wiltshire all the way up to Hull for one show, that had been postponed 4 times during covid. With fuel prices at an all time high, it wasn't going to be lucrative but I've never been to Hull and I like playing places I haven't been to. The traffic was awful; at every point where there was an opportunity for a delay, there was one! The two main guys in the band are both about to launch solo albums so I wondered how well we'd all get on. I arrived ready for an argument, with anyone! However, the mood was great. The venue was The New Adelphi Club which has hosted everyone from Pulp to Adam Ant to Green Day over the years. The sound was superb, the lighting was the best I have ever seen it and everyone was super friendly. I didn't get to eat until after the show but a fan bought me dinner and the venue loaded us up on a decent rider so my only costs were fuel (ahem!). A great night and with the rest up on Saturday I didn't look too shattered for the video shoot on Sunday.

IMG_5435.thumb.JPG.79c7145b08d2ccf138aeb4507610a2f0.JPG 

• Like 11

14 hours ago, stewblack said:

A Sunday early evening Bandeoke for me this weekend. 

A pub in somewhere called Wantage 🤷‍♂️. First time there, booked despite the landlord being somewhat sceptical, and it went down a storm.

Another one on the list.

Not the Swan? The singer from one of my bands lives there and I was surprised how good a scene there is there. 

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

I had three gigs Thursday through Saturday (local, Hull and East London) and a video shoot on the Sunday (Bristol). I was kind of relieved when Thursday AND Saturday's shows both got pulled / postponed. Friday night was a trek from Wiltshire all the way up to Hull for one show, that had been postponed 4 times during covid. With fuel prices at an all time high, it wasn't going to be lucrative but I've never been to Hull and I like playing places I haven't been to. The traffic was awful; at every point where there was an opportunity for a delay, there was one! The two main guys in the band are both about to launch solo albums so I wondered how well we'd all get on. I arrived ready for an argument, with anyone! However, the mood was great. The venue was The New Adelphi Club which has hosted everyone from Pulp to Adam Ant to Green Day over the years. The sound was superb, the lighting was the best I have ever seen it and everyone was super friendly. I didn't get to eat until after the show but a fan bought me dinner and the venue loaded us up on a decent rider so my only costs were fuel (ahem!). A great night and with the rest up on Saturday I didn't look too shattered for the video shoot on Sunday.

IMG_5435.thumb.JPG.79c7145b08d2ccf138aeb4507610a2f0.JPG 

Great venue, did my first ever “real” gig there. 

7 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I had three gigs Thursday through Saturday … 

You lightweight Tim!

Thursday - guitar with a Stones tribute 

Friday - rock’n’roll guitar 

Saturday - country bass

Sunday - rock’n’roll guitar 

Monday (tonight) Tuesday Wednesday - Bowie tribute rehearsals (guitar)

Edited by JapanAxe
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Second three-gig weekend on the trot (kind-of)... this time with three different bands.

Friday was a dep at a club in Sunderland with an Eagles / CSNY / Byrds / Steely Dan etc. band I occasionally work with. This time they also had a dep guitarist, which kept things extra spicy.

Lots of hoying in BVs and last-minute set additions to cater for the even newer dep.

APC_1046.thumb.jpg.5c59c8ad3746bc01fa50e9aa85bf10cc.jpg

Gig two was a charity do with a bunch of pals. 250 people in a club in Cullercoats. Raised a load of cash for North East homeless.

Here's a bit of a tune:

..and gig 3 was supposed to be the highlight, but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

The first gig by another of my old bands in ten years at a festival not far from home. Very excited, people traveling from afar... but the British weather had other plans. Two songs in, the heavens opened. Ah, well. Here's to 2032.

APC_1068-2.thumb.jpg.f4b28a6d321f0d4928afd6bd2b5fa45b.jpg

APC_1071-2.thumb.jpg.c7bf943bf609c75777d1a3c7c746bf60.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

You lightweight Tim!

Thursday - guitar with a Stones tribute 

Friday - rock’n’roll guitar 

Saturday - country bass

Sunday - rock’n’roll guitar 

Monday (tonight) Tuesday Wednesday - Bowie tribute rehearsals (guitar)

All local though? 😏 I have a few UK and European tours coming up though for the redemption.... same band each night though! 

3 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

All local though? 😏 I have a few UK and European tours coming up though for the redemption.... same band each night though! 

One gig was about 2 hours away, the others no further than an hour. No chance of a medal for me then?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Second three-gig weekend on the trot (kind-of)... this time with three different bands.

Friday was a dep at a club in Sunderland with an Eagles / CSNY / Byrds / Steely Dan etc. band I occasionally work with. This time they also had a dep guitarist, which kept things extra spicy.

Lots of hoying in BVs and last-minute set additions to cater for the even newer dep.

APC_1046.thumb.jpg.5c59c8ad3746bc01fa50e9aa85bf10cc.jpg

Gig two was a charity do with a bunch of pals. 250 people in a club in Cullercoats. Raised a load of cash for North East homeless.

Here's a bit of a tune:

..and gig 3 was supposed to be the highlight, but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

The first gig by another of my old bands in ten years at a festival not far from home. Very excited, people traveling from afar... but the British weather had other plans. Two songs in, the heavens opened. Ah, well. Here's to 2032.

APC_1068-2.thumb.jpg.f4b28a6d321f0d4928afd6bd2b5fa45b.jpg

APC_1071-2.thumb.jpg.c7bf943bf609c75777d1a3c7c746bf60.jpg

A few classic Lindisfarne numbers in that set!

I had tech troubles in the intro to the opening song of the set... everything worked fine at rehearsal on Wednesday... everything worked fine at soundcheck... and then on the 'wuh' of 'one two three four' it all goes Pete Tong 🤬🤬  the problem appears to lie either with my FX board or the cable snake, when I took them out of the path it was all good. Investigation works tomorrow.

• Sad 1

I had a great one in Hereford last night. I dropped my budget transmitter in favour of a custom-made dual guitar/IEM cable (like a hosepipe!) and it felt much better! I was always uncomfortable with the transmitter hanging out the stupid Ibanez recessed socket. 
Crowd was amazing, up dancing from the first song. Whole place was rammed and the boss was so pleased that he paid us extra. Off to a more local place tonight. 

• Like 4

Did a one-off 2000's indie rock night last night. Had to learn eight new songs to get a full set of rockers from 2000-2010 but then disaster struck! We managed only one rehearsal with the new songs then both the lead guitarist and I came down with bad illnesses. I almost didn't make the gig. Well... It was hot yesterday wasn't it? We had a small audience, less than thirty I think, which isn't great for us at all, but they all wanted to be there and LOVED the set list. It makes a difference when they're smiling, singing, dancing and staying to the end. In the new songs I think we found a few "keepers" so all the sweat was probably worth it in the long run.

• Like 3

Absolutely stonking gig last night at the Farmyard bikers rally in Helmsley. A packed house of hundreds inside the marquee and apparently just as many dancing outside who couldn’t get in. The organiser was so chuffed he sorted a photo session at the end of the set. Love gigs like this 😁8DA5C978-A276-4FBC-A3B3-4AA8BE653421.thumb.jpeg.b3adef262329a1fe249ad654bcdd9fa5.jpeg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

:useless:

Here we go :) I use the Xvive strap thingy to keep the cables how I like them at the guitar end.  At the board, the headphones goes into my rolls monitor amp and the other end into the start of my pedal chain. In this case a cheap preamp I only use if I end up playing a passive bass. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162396900311?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0vMhZxlXRBm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=kIsNhjMUScq&var=461424818813&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

20A178B3-FEAB-4F1D-AF59-2EE6BDD233E4.jpeg

7942517F-0B37-48ED-8B84-1790C41786EE.jpeg

2D5A1083-9BD8-4AD1-A02D-CE8962E30FF4.jpeg

42F1FBB5-719F-4005-BB47-8FF462AB5857.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of my favourite local venues last night. We thought we were in for a kicking to be honest because Big Country were playing upstairs but we still managed to pack the place. Our drummer's (very attractive) day job colleagues showed up mid way through the first set and once pretty women start dancing then everyone starts dancing. 

PXL_20220618_192052503.MP.jpg

PXL_20220618_180427422.MP.jpg

PXL_20220618_192030932.jpg

• Like 7

A total bust. Booked to play at a football club out in the sticks. Not one person turned up. Played most of the first set to two staff, then they came up and told us they were just going to close up. Paid us anyway, and for what it's worth said they liked us.

Weird limbo-like feeling on the way home having played half a gig and getting home 2.5 hours earlier than expected.

Seems that there isn't more to supporting your local wee football team than attending matches :(

Oh well, these things happen.

Edited by neepheid
  • Sad 9

58 minutes ago, neepheid said:

A total bust. Booked to play at a football club out in the sticks. Not one person turned up. Played most of the first set to two staff, then they came up and told us they were just going to close up. Paid us anyway, and for what it's worth said they liked us.

Weird limbo-like feeling on the way home having played half a gig and getting home 2.5 hours earlier than expected.

Seems that there isn't more to supporting your local wee football team than attending matches :(

Oh well, these things happen.

Ouch !,  at least you got paid in full for half a gig. It takes a lot to keep you motivated and "into the gig" when the audience is a handful. 

I tend to lose a bit of drive when that happens until i get halfway thru the first set and think " ach just enjoy it, a free rehearsal"  mode kicks in.

Dave