Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Unusual gig in Ivory Blacks last night. Not the biggest audience we've played to but everyone had a great night with lots of dancing.

Issues with sound again in here with SE telling me my bass amp was too loud. (i run it at same level every gig to match drum volume. His suggestion was to turn it down and use the monitors for bass. Tried that and his monitors were s**t with nothing but treble clank and distortion on higher notes. 

Trouble with hearing vocals and guitar. Our sound effects we use for intro's to some songs were muted at the desk as SE forgot to un-mute for 2nd set.

Overall not a great night sound wise on stage but audience said the sound out front was good. Not sure if people stayed at home because of the train issues at moment or holiday weekend or even the Jubilee but Glasgow did seem quite quiet last night when we were leaving at 11pm.

Not sure what's going on in the band at moment but atmosphere thru the gig and at the end of the night was a bit "odd" perhaps quiet and subdued. Not sure how things will pan out. It felt like this might have been our last gig. When the band enthusiasm and atmosphere goes the fun goes with it.

Will wait and see what happens over next few days/weeks.

Dave

image.png.c31b25d449363241897f0433b247a145.png

Usual stuff and been there before. If front of house is decent thats ok but onstage can be a bloody nightmare! It happened to me at the O2 ABC in Glasgow when on a charity bill. The bass amp packed in onstage just before I went on and I had to listen to the bass through the monitor onstage in front of me. Sound like a tin can! It ruined my night I can tell you! At another gig in Paisley I played with a differant band the front of house it seems was great...well according to our singer who was standing on a table outfront!. Onstage I could hardly make out the drums and guitarist across the stage but was deafened by the guitarist next to me! No wonder I am a grumpy bugger!!

Edited by theplumber
made mistake in text
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oddly enough i have been thinking about IEM set ups but dont know much about it plus it would only be for the one gig. My Punk band only use a vocal PA as its smaller gigs.

Something else i could consider is a decent bass cab that can be used like a wedge monitor at front of stage. I've seen them before but can't remember who made them.

Dave

I don't know enough to get going with IEM either. There's a big thread on it that I have yet to get into.

The thought of risking my hearing to numpties in charge without the requisite brick wall limiters gives me the heebie jeebies.

Going from vocal PA to IEM silent stage isn't so big of a sea change going by the reports. Way less gear to deal with!

On my big gigs I am happy arranging my cab so I can hear it and leaving rest of band to worry about monitoring bass all high passed to hell. They only really need it for timing. More often we get blown away with bass through monitors and MD goes crook at me so I have to remind him ''it ain't me'' and he gets on the mic to tell the crew to knock that chit off.

LF is omni-directional so doesn't respect wedges. It all adds to mush out front unless high passed as you experienced.

• Thanks 1

On 04/06/2022 at 10:04, warwickhunt said:

Did 2 gigs yesterday (2 today), first one went off fine (other than me jumping off stage mid song and misjudging the height to go flying).  Second gig, we had taken at the last minute to help a pub out and we'd agreed that we couldn't get there as early as we normally would be we'd get there as soon as and should be on stage for 21:15.  All went swimmingly, on stage for 21:07 and punters were dancing most of the night and screaming out for songs (90% of which we knew and did).  All good then...

As we packed up one particular regular was mouthing off as loudly as possible that he was going to ensure we got our money docked because we arrived late and we only did 1 encore (we had already played 55 mins instead of 45).  I politely ignored him as he got louder and proceeded to tell all and sundry that we'd never work again in this bar unless we got straight back on stage and played another set... LOL thought I.  He then upped the volume and turned to point at me and vehemently shouted "They're a bunch of c*nts...and he's the f*%king biggest c*nt"!  

I stepped across to him (kept my cool) and pointed out we had entertained them all night, gone beyond our contractual agreement, playing 1x45 and 1x55, at an earlier than agreed time and were in fact not c*nts.  This took him back and he muttered about timings etc and that he'd speak to the management about us never playing there again.  I (still) politely pointed out it had nothing to do with him and would he retract the comment about me/us?  At this point his friends shouted him down and said that he should shut up and I walked away.  

I realise pubs sell alcohol and alcohol loosens the tongue and brain but sadly I'm finding more and more of a lack of respect for bands/performers.  :(  

Sounds like the idiot missed the first set...

• Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 10:04, warwickhunt said:

I realise pubs sell alcohol and alcohol loosens the tongue and brain but sadly I'm finding more and more of a lack of respect for bands/performers.  :(  

I read an article a few weeks ago by a compère/comedian. She said since opening up the country after covid lockdowns, a few people appear to have forgotten how to behave in public. I fear she may be correct. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/21/its-no-joke-since-lockdown-live-audiences-have-forgotten-how-to-behave

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 11:08, Lozz196 said:

Makes me glad I do gigs on the punk/Oi/psychobilly scene. Very rarely any bother and if there is the crowd tend to police it themselves by letting the bothersome know they’re out of line, hardly ever a need for any venue security to step in.

I’ve found the same thing playing for biker clubs and hells angels. Any trouble is swiftly dealt with. And they’re a helpful down to earth bunch, even helping us load it and out. 

• Like 1

Not too bad last night.  Trouble is, due to the venue (social club in a village) hosting jubilee events for the previous couple of days, it wasn’t as busy as we hoped it would be. Maybe 2 days of celebratory drinking had taken its toll on the locals. 

Still, we put on our usual show and thankfully, the number of dancers was greater than the number of band members. 

A couple of technical issues at the start due to lighting interference and the head barman didn’t know how the lighting worked, but all good in the end. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Not too bad last night.  Trouble is, due to the venue (social club in a village) hosting jubilee events for the previous couple of days, it wasn’t as busy as we hoped it would be. Maybe 2 days of celebratory drinking had taken its toll on the locals. 

Still, we put on our usual show and thankfully, the number of dancers was greater than the number of band members. 

Thanks! You've saved me the effort of writing my own gig review.

This was exactly the same as our own experience: the second set was great but for the first set there was more of us on stage than in the audience 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

Gig number 4 was a fantastic evening. A lovely stage set up (mmmm…carpet!) in a decent marquee to a very appreciative crowd. I snapped a few pics and the whole thing was live streamed so there’s plenty of (pleasingly;) bass heavy video on our Facebook page this morning 😂😂

https://www.facebook.com/TheBridgeCheltenham

Nice playing - spectacular bass on that Rio track (2:25 onwards) 👍

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I’ve found the same thing playing for biker clubs and hells angels. Any trouble is swiftly dealt with. And they’re a helpful down to earth bunch, even helping us load it and out. 

Ditto, friendliest gigs going, love doing bikers rallies.

If we have a problem at a venue and it’s not dealt with by ‘the management’ the venue gets pulled from our venue list, end of.

• Like 1

Played the local jubilee/festival in Llandevaud yesterday. About 100-150 people but mostly off around the hog roast/stalls. Playing on the back of a lorry.  Went well although my lead developed an intermittent fault  and I had to switch to a more reliable(!) wireless at half time. During second set  the stalls upped sticks at 5:30 so numbers dropped away.  As we were packing up the next band were setting up on the adjacent lorry to do three sets 7 to 10, looked like they might have got about 20 people left ☹️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Yep one of the few venues that offer to help take gear out for you. Have never experienced any trouble at their gigs. Band even gets fed by them with free tea and coffee. Not many gigs offer that level of appreciation.

Dave

• Like 1

Played a bar in Portishead last night. Tiny space allocated to us, punters appeared to be reserved, middle class folk out for a quiet night. 

Luckily we have a drummer who can actually play quietly if he so chooses. So we started lively but not too loud. 

Amazed by the response. Loud applause and cheering and a few songs later folk dancing and having a ball.

So many people wanting to tell us how awesome we were I wondered if we'd ever get to pack down.

A lovely end to a great run of gigs.

• Like 7

The Lion at Basford in Nottingham. We've played here a few times and it's always a great gig for us. The crowd were right into it with much cavorting and dad-dancing at the end. Our drummer even got his own fan-club.

FB_IMG_1654448130988.jpg

Edited by ricksterphil
  • Like 4

Played the 12.00 first slot at the Vintage Heritage Festival today on the Tipi Stage , a 40 minute set with our own PA and were scheduled to do a 2 hour set starting at 6.30 pm at a local Stately Home later. Heavens opened around 4.00 pm and got a message, 'we are starting early due to the rain'. 25 minutes later when I arrived they had just decided to call it off as we were under a large gazebo which although waterproof most of the villagers had gone home and  electrically it was all a bit dodgy. We were paid and invited to sample the Hog Roast and Draught beer bought in especially for the event however. We have offered to play there again for free although I suspect they will want to pay us again! The rain has now eased off but everything is very wet.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Played the 12.00 first slot at the Vintage Heritage Festival today on the Tipi Stage , a 40 minute set with our own PA and were scheduled to do a 2 hour set starting at 6.30 pm at a local Stately Home later. Heavens opened around 4.00 pm and got a message, 'we are starting early due to the rain'. 25 minutes later when I arrived they had just decided to call it off as we were under a large gazebo which although waterproof most of the villagers had gone home and  electrically it was all a bit dodgy. We were paid and invited to sample the Hog Roast and Draught beer bought in especially for the event however. We have offered to play there again for free although I suspect they will want to pay us again! The rain has now eased off but everything is very wet.

Money for nothing, pig for free? 🐷 

• Haha 8

Another open air gig yesterday at a festival in York. Stage seemed huge compared with what we are used to. Nice to have a pro SE and event was well organised. We went down well and have been "pencilled in for next year". 

We all enjoyed it, though were a bit by bothered by some brief low frequency humming. Probably me...

IMG-20220604-WA0005.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, howdenspur said:

Another open air gig yesterday at a festival in York. Stage seemed huge compared with what we are used to. Nice to have a pro SE and event was well organised. We went down well and have been "pencilled in for next year". 

We all enjoyed it, though were a bit by bothered by some brief low frequency humming. Probably me...

IMG-20220604-WA0005.jpg

Its that bass again! 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, howdenspur said:

IMG-20220604-WA0005.jpg

Plenty of pogoing room there.

• Like 1

Was booked to do a solo acoustic guitar/singing gig at a country pub in Leicestershire on Saturday along with a few other acts - one of which wasn't well enough to play, so I extended my set to do 5 x 45 min sets to cover both of us!

Actually worked out pretty well - under a big beer garden gazebo which kept out the rain showers, and a decent crowd of people up for a few afternoon beers and barbecue.

My voice held out nicely (my main worry) but my finger tips are still hurting today.

Decent result though. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Was booked to do a solo acoustic guitar/singing gig at a country pub in Leicestershire on Saturday along with a few other acts - one of which wasn't well enough to play, so I extended my set to do 5 x 45 min sets to cover both of us!

Actually worked out pretty well - under a big beer garden gazebo which kept out the rain showers, and a decent crowd of people up for a few afternoon beers and barbecue.

My voice held out nicely (my main worry) but my finger tips are still hurting today.

Decent result though. 

Hope you got double bubble!

• Like 1