Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

11 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Makes me glad I do gigs on the punk/Oi/psychobilly scene. Very rarely any bother and if there is the crowd tend to police it themselves by letting the bothersome know they’re out of line, hardly ever a need for any venue security to step in.

Oddly enough i'm finding the same with the punk band. I'm new to punk at 62yrs old but thoroughly enjoying the gigs. Not had a bad gig yet since end last year i've been doing gigs every 2nd week on average.

With the Glam band we still get calls on occasion to play some funk songs even tho its well advertised as a 70's Glam Rock tribute with all the outfits etc.

Not had any troublesome ones tho.

Dave

• Like 1

Finally the first real gig I have played since February of 2020!

I'm playing DB in a seven piece "orchestra" (trumpet, clarinet/sax,fiddle,guitar,piano,drums, bass) that is on stage in a theatre production in North Bay of a recently written musical about the Dionne quintuplets that were born near the city in 1934 and were a huge attraction to the area.

The musical is written as a simulation of a live radio broadcast with interviews and comments from all the people involved with the birth and later commercialization  of the five girls. It was done in the old school radio drama style with the actors reading their scripts standing in front of mics as it would have been done in the 1930's and with musical numbers added in, it sounds a bit odd but it worked well and we were on stage with them just as there would have been an orchestra in the old studios.

It was performed in a fine old theatre where the first radio station in the area was located, I have played here before, excellent venue with very good technical crew. This was my first gig with my Shen SB100 and Acoustic Image amp and sound engineer managed to get a superb FOH sound from the Shen that absolutely filled the hall with glorious DB sound. The band was tight all all the cues were perfect and I only missed a few notes.

The venue seats around 900 and wasn't full but close and we have another show tonight, it is truly great to be back playing in public and the two weeks of rehearsal were fun and the show ran well and we were paid very well...win, win, win.👍😊

More good news, both the jazz bands I'm in are rehearsing for gigs we have later this month and in the summer, life is finally getting back to normal.

• Like 8

...and a couple of pre show shots from last night. The screen at the back of the stage was used to show a series of images of the quints and their early life, from what I heard from audience members it really helped make the show even better. I'm hoping for some shots of the actual show tonight by someone with better equipment.

IMG_0183 2.JPG

IMG_0196.jpg

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 7

My band played a gig on the Isle of Man this week.

The original booking was for 2020 but as Covid put paid to that it finally got rearranged

for May 22.  It also happened to be TT fortnight so was extremely busy on the ferries, despite

it being qualifying week. We got to see some of the racing, an amazing spectacle with bikes hitting over 140mph onthe streets of Douglas that normally have a 30 limit!

( Unfortunately just before we left a Welsh rider Mark Purslow

lost his life in a crash, something that apparently happens all too regularly. )

We were playing in the Villa marina, a grand old theatre on the seafront in Douglas.

Big flown JBL PA sounded fine at soundcheck but with nearly 1000 punters in later

it did seem to change. Anyway, we did one 90 minute set (unusual

for us) and went down well with the crowd singing along with most of the songs.

The gig was in aid of a local cancer charity so we were pleased they raised some funds from it. Good fun going to a new place for us, a very scenic island with friendly locals, good food,

and the weather was superb too. 

IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

Edited by casapete
  • Like 10

7 minutes ago, lou24d53 said:

Played the Kelso Scooter Rally last night...brilliant night...stage was hotter than the sun...!!

Singer took a wee short video and didn't realise it was still running...! 🤣

Screenshot_20220603-192933_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220603-192759_Gallery.jpg

Wondered where all the scooters were going the other day. Looks like a great gig and sounded great on the short VID clip.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

My band played a gig on the Isle of Man this week. The original booking was for 2020 but as Covid put paid to that

it finally got rearranged for May 22.  It also happened to be TT fortnight so was extremely busy on the ferries, despite

it being qualifying week. We got to see some of the racing, an amazing spectacle with bikes hitting over 140mph on

the streets of Douglas that normally have a 30 limit! ( Unfortunately just before we left a Welsh rider Mark Purslow

lost his life in a crash, something that apparently happens all too regularly. )

We were playing in the Villa marina, a grand old theatre on the seafront in Douglas. Big flown JBL PA sounded fine at

soundcheck but with nearly 1000 punters in later it did seem to change. Anyway, we did one 90 minute set (unusual

for us) and went down well with the crowd singing along with most of the songs. The gig was in aid of a local cancer

charity so we were pleased they raised some funds from it. Good fun going to a new place for us, a very scenic

island with friendly locals, good food, and the weather was superb too. 

IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

You won a watch there. Looks like another great venue and during TT. Life doesn't get any better than that. 

Dave

• Like 1

Great gig at Tuesday Night Music Club in Coulsdon, Surrey this week. Over 2 hours of music was knackering but exhilarating. Fab review plus bass-face photo from Haydn Hart, a TNMC regular:

"US Hall of Fame Inductee and multi award winning songwriter, composer and performer Wily Bo Walker gave an astonishing performance at the Tuesday Night Music Club this week.

It was such a kind gesture by Wily Bo Walker to give away a CD to every attendee on the night, A CD that had been specially made for the occasion. This was his way of thanking his audience for attending. Such is the measure of this brilliant musician.

The band’s performance itself was flawless, with E D Bradshaw giving a masterclass on lead guitar, providing some jaw dropping breaks throughout.

Clarky, the consummate bass man. My apologies to the drummer and the keyboard/mandolin player, but I didn’t catch your names……great job though guys.

A standing ovation for Wily Bo Walker at the end of a superb evening of live music that spanned the recognised genres giving them new life and making them his own."

Screenshot_20220604-174538_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Clarky said:

Great gig at Tuesday Night Music Club in Coulsdon, Surrey this week. Over 2 hours of music was knackering but exhilarating. Fab review plus bass-face photo from Haydn Hart, a TNMC regular:

"US Hall of Fame Inductee and multi award winning songwriter, composer and performer Wily Bo Walker gave an astonishing performance at the Tuesday Night Music Club this week.

It was such a kind gesture by Wily Bo Walker to give away a CD to every attendee on the night, A CD that had been specially made for the occasion. This was his way of thanking his audience for attending. Such is the measure of this brilliant musician.

The band’s performance itself was flawless, with E D Bradshaw giving a masterclass on lead guitar, providing some jaw dropping breaks throughout.

Clarky, the consummate bass man. My apologies to the drummer and the keyboard/mandolin player, but I didn’t catch your names……great job though guys.

A standing ovation for Wily Bo Walker at the end of a superb evening of live music that spanned the recognised genres giving them new life and making them his own."

Screenshot_20220604-174538_Chrome.jpg

So not your regular face then? That's good.

• Confused 1

Friday was an hour 4-5, then loaning our speakers to a fantastic 8 piece vintage female singing combo (Vera lynn, Andrews sisters etc), then some more between 8 and 10:30.

Bit rusty: drummer had a mare, guitarists not able to hear themselves, the usual nonsense. Dug out some real old ones. Great pub, got fed and watered very nicely! Long and chilly day though.

Saturday eve with the other band cancelled - no punters in all day! Not heartbroken about that really!

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 1

Unusual gig in Ivory Blacks last night. Not the biggest audience we've played to but everyone had a great night with lots of dancing.

Issues with sound again in here with SE telling me my bass amp was too loud. (i run it at same level every gig to match drum volume. His suggestion was to turn it down and use the monitors for bass. Tried that and his monitors were s**t with nothing but treble clank and distortion on higher notes. 

Trouble with hearing vocals and guitar. Our sound effects we use for intro's to some songs were muted at the desk as SE forgot to un-mute for 2nd set.

Overall not a great night sound wise on stage but audience said the sound out front was good. Not sure if people stayed at home because of the train issues at moment or holiday weekend or even the Jubilee but Glasgow did seem quite quiet last night when we were leaving at 11pm.

Not sure what's going on in the band at moment but atmosphere thru the gig and at the end of the night was a bit "odd" perhaps quiet and subdued. Not sure how things will pan out. It felt like this might have been our last gig. When the band enthusiasm and atmosphere goes the fun goes with it.

Will wait and see what happens over next few days/weeks.

Dave

image.png.c31b25d449363241897f0433b247a145.png

• Like 7

Played an afternoon gig yesterday with my acoustic duo at a private party with a Jubilee theme in a village 

next to mine.

Arrived at the impressive house to find we’d been allocated a covered area, but due to the doubtful 

weather forecast it was decided we’d be better playing indoors. This was a massive swimming pool /

leisure area, with the predictable echo laden sound. As the weather was on and off, we set up by some

bi-fold doors so we could face either inside or outside! First set was sunny so we played to the guests

outside, and the sound was great using just a Yamaha mixer amp and two pairs of Bose 802’s. I used

my little Ibanez acoustic bass and it sounded just how I wanted. Of course, wind and rain meant that

by the second set we turned the PA round and played in the pool area, and the sound suffered. 

Still, had them up dancing, played all of their requests and gave out loads of business cards so 

a result. Also got very well fed and watered too, and home by 6pm! 

Got another one today at a village hall on the Yorkshire wolds and it’s raining already.....🙁

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Tried that and his monitors were s**t with nothing but treble

That's what monitors have to do when there are FOH subs and the overall house volume is limited. Stage LF makes a mess of FOH LF.

The only way to have significant LF on stage along with SUBS is in a huge venue.

The smaller venues I play it's a whole lot easier just going for gold on stage with a vocal PA like the good old days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Downunderwonder said:

That's what monitors have to do when there are FOH subs and the overall house volume is limited. Stage LF makes a mess of FOH LF.

The only way to have significant LF on stage along with SUBS is in a huge venue.

The smaller venues I play it's a whole lot easier just going for gold on stage with a vocal PA like the good old days.

This is the only venue i have any trouble with stage volumes. When i've played there with the original SE who since retired there was never an issue and bands always raved about sound. I've played there with a few different bands over the years and its only in the last year its been a problem.

Dave

21 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

This is the only venue i have any trouble with stage volumes. When i've played there with the original SE who since retired there was never an issue and bands always raved about sound. I've played there with a few different bands over the years and its only in the last year its been a problem.

Dave

It sounds like the new guy is fastidious about maintaining the intended stage sound in the FOH sound, to the detriment of the band's enjoyment. That's a tough one to reconcile. As you said, the band sounded pukka out front according to the fans.

At one extreme you could move to a 'silent' stage IEM setup for that venue. 

At the other extreme you could give the sound guy the night off and mix yourselves off the stage.

In the middle you are really stuck with the soundguy clamping down on your stage volume.

• Thanks 1

Did the perfect wedding, very cool crowd, played what we wanted (anyone done Casa Forte at a wedding before?), Loads of food and drink for the band, started at 6 and home by 9! 

If only they could all be like that 🙂

• Like 4

Private Jubilee do at a community centre in rural North Yorkshire last night.  Like the box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get at these sort of functions but we had a great night with people up and dancing from the get go (apart from one bloke who sat staring at us with arms folded all night lol).  Great comments from the organisers - one said we should raise our prices...

Other than that it was a typical Saturday night apart from the lunatic that tried to run me off the M18 by swerving into me and forcing me onto the hard shoulder - I think it was because I had the audacity to overtake him in a Mini.....I hope karma is a real thing. 

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

It sounds like the new guy is fastidious about maintaining the intended stage sound in the FOH sound, to the detriment of the band's enjoyment. That's a tough one to reconcile. As you said, the band sounded pukka out front according to the fans.

At one extreme you could move to a 'silent' stage IEM setup for that venue. 

At the other extreme you could give the sound guy the night off and mix yourselves off the stage.

In the middle you are really stuck with the soundguy clamping down on your stage volume.

Oddly enough i have been thinking about IEM set ups but dont know much about it plus it would only be for the one gig. My Punk band only use a vocal PA as its smaller gigs.

Something else i could consider is a decent bass cab that can be used like a wedge monitor at front of stage. I've seen them before but can't remember who made them.

Dave