Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 23/05/2022 at 16:58, zbd1960 said:

I was 50 when my dad died of cancer. He had seen me in many concerts (and many other things) some really big ones. All I ever got was negative feedback. 

My dad has no interest in music, beyond once having some Klaus Wunderlich and his Amazing Organ lps.

Sadly my mum, who once came to a Hawkwind concert with me and my brother and whose best friend ran the Lonnie Donegan fan club, never saw me gig and died in 1999, a few months older than I am now.

• Sad 1

On 23/05/2022 at 21:40, howdenspur said:

Afternoon gig yesterday at the Black Horse, Wigginton, York. First public gig since 2019 and with a new guitarist and drummer. We enjoyed ourselves and the punters seemed to like it too.

IMG-20220523-WA0020.jpg

I didn’t realise Living In A Box, that band from the 80’s had reformed.😀

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

A somerset birthday party in a beautiful setting (next to a wedding venue). Lovely people, full dance floor all night, paid well and home before one.

I see a pattern!

If only every weekend was as enjoyable

Played a gig at my old local from the 80's. Girdwoods in Wishaw. I used to frequent 7 days a week back in them far away days.

Punk band tonight and it went down a storm. Lots of great feedback and great to see some old faces from my younger days. Even got complimented on choice of songs. Few punk fans had never heard any other bands playing a lot of our set list live and a few Ramones songs they'd never even heard The Ramones play live.

Everyone was bouncing away and clapping and singing along. 

Just a great night.

Using my Sandberg MarloweDK again and it just works so well in the Punk band.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4

Great gig last night, for a somewhat unexpected reason. We supported another all originals band at a local guesthouse. An extremely low key affair just for the fun of it. 

As anyone in an originals band knows, it's pretty difficult to get people to really listen to what you have to say. I've always been of the opinion that making people dance is easy, making people cry is another matter entirely, and means they're truly listening.

Last night we had our first crier and it made my night. I should probably add, it was at the appropriate time after an extremely emotive song, and not just coz we were cr@p. 😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Friday night my blues rock trio played at a lovely little music pub in the middle of Ipswich called The Shamrock.  Parking can be a problem but after load in I got lucky and found a legal, free spot a few yards down the road.  One of the few places where they don't expect bands to play Sex On Fire.  We played for two and a half hours to a small but very enthusiastic crowd, many of whom had seen us before and came especially.  Our guitarist really gets off when the audience is behind him and his soloing becomes inspired.  I've played in theatres, I've played to some big crowds but on Friday playing this tiny pub in Ipswich to maybe 25 people was one of those special gigs.  I smiled all the way home.   

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Great gig last night, for a somewhat unexpected reason. We supported another all originals band at a local guesthouse. An extremely low key affair just for the fun of it. 

As anyone in an originals band knows, it's pretty difficult to get people to really listen to what you have to say. I've always been of the opinion that making people dance is easy, making people cry is another matter entirely, and means they're truly listening.

Last night we had our first crier and it made my night. I should probably add, it was at the appropriate time after an extremely emotive song, and not just coz we were cr@p. 😂

Sounds like a successful night for you. Well done.

Dave

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Friday night my blues rock trio played at a lovely little music pub in the middle of Ipswich called The Shamrock.  Parking can be a problem but after load in I got lucky and found a legal, free spot a few yards down the road.  One of the few places where they don't expect bands to play Sex On Fire.  We played for two and a half hours to a small but very enthusiastic crowd, many of whom had seen us before and came especially.  Our guitarist really gets off when the audience is behind him and his soloing becomes inspired.  I've played in theatres, I've played to some big crowds but on Friday playing this tiny pub in Ipswich to maybe 25 people was one of those special gigs.  I smiled all the way home.   

Says it all. Sometimes the smaller gigs are just way better. I love when that happens.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sounds like a successful night for you. Well done.

Dave

Thanks Dave. We're still pretty new on the scene and have only played about 4 gigs, but we seem to be going down quite well whenever we play. I've been surprised by the response to be honest as it's the first time I've been in an originals band, and it's a totally different ball game to doing covers that everyone knows. We've even been invited to play a large festival at the end of May, by the organiser who's been to a couple of our gigs. Sadly can't make it, but it's nice to be invited. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Thanks Dave. We're still pretty new on the scene and have only played about 4 gigs, but we seem to be going down quite well whenever we play. I've been surprised by the response to be honest as it's the first time I've been in an originals band, and it's a totally different ball game to doing covers that everyone knows. We've even been invited to play a large festival at the end of May, by the organiser who's been to a couple of our gigs. Sadly can't make it, but it's nice to be invited. 

And there's you thinking of giving up on bands too. There's always a sun shining somewhere. :laugh1:

Good luck with the festival gig, that should be great fun to do.

Dave

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Awesome gig last night. 8:45  about 4 people in. But they came,and it was loopy. Loads of improv and I even played a few solos! Pure fun from start to finish for us and the audience. That's what it's all about. 😎

20220528_204511.thumb.jpg.d1f0d3b2a205ac74fb5854a571bc4654.jpg

Great setup. 👌

• Like 1

Fourth gig for the new band last night at The Victoria Inn, Four Lanes, near Camborne. With football on the TV we expected that the pub would be empty but it picked up quiet quickly.  Considering we don't play your standard pub covers the punters managed to dance their way through most of our two sets.  Sadly there were a few mistakes but we put that down to the fact that we don't gig enough so we've got to get things right for the Lostwithiel Gin Festival next month. At the end of it we had a very happy Landlord and a return booking. 

This was the first time I've ever played a whole gig on a fretless.  It worked out really well and the rest of the band loved the tone.  Thank you Frank for introducing me to the Rob Allen Mouse. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Played a gig at my old local from the 80's. Girdwoods in Wishaw. I used to frequent 7 days a week back in them far away days.

Punk band tonight and it went down a storm. Lots of great feedback and great to see some old faces from my younger days. Even got complimented on choice of songs. Few punk fans had never heard any other bands playing a lot of our set list live and a few Ramones songs they'd never even heard The Ramones play live.

Everyone was bouncing away and clapping and singing along. 

Just a great night.

Using my Sandberg MarloweDK again and it just works so well in the Punk band.

Dave

A local gig and I couldn’t make it, sorry. Had a prearranged visit planned to the Hydro. Still hoping to catch you soon though. 👍

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Maybe your regular week is far more scintillating than mine. I'm very happy to have a good gig and no need of duds to make me appreciative.

I'm certainly happy to have a good gig, but some gigs are much better than others. Yesterdays was such. last week, less so. 

• Like 1

A rare (these days) gig for me: an afternoon set with the old lineup (now sadly mostly defunct, given the singist/geetarist is off solo raking in the cash, and the drummer's been on tour with Heather Small, playing the likes of the Palladium and the Bridgewater Hall, plus he's got the Albert Hall, an album to do in Abbey Road, and a round of the festivals upcoming, too) for a previously-committed charity festival...nice to play with them again, a fun 45, and no heavy lifting...back for tea...

Now back to the setting up of a new band...

• Like 5

Played a small gig yesterday evening. One set only, but that's about all I could manage; had an inner ear infection earlier in the week and I'm still not feeling great. All went well, though. There's no power at this venue and we were on battery amplification only so I tried out a Roland bass cube, which did the trick nicely with a preamp for the upright.

A brief clip here if anyone's interested.

Edited by knirirr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2