Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a pub in Swindon last night, very very quiet. Should have got my rig off the floor too. Had all the bass rolled off on both amp and pedal and still the hollow wooden floor was kicking out a ton of bottom end.

Problem was finding parking took so long I ended up with no time or space to manoeuvre.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Played a pub in Swindon last night, very very quiet. Should have got my rig off the floor too. Had all the bass rolled off on both amp and pedal and still the hollow wooden floor was kicking out a ton of bottom end.

Problem was finding parking took so long I ended up with no time or space to manoeuvre.

Which pub? I've played a lot of Swindon gigs and parking is usually a nightmare - but Oxford's even worse! I went to see a band in Swindon a couple or weeks ago, spent an age finding a car park, walked to the gig and only afterwards realised that I no idea idea where the car was. Luckily, my phone had remembered and directed me back there. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Which pub? I've played a lot of Swindon gigs and parking is usually a nightmare - but Oxford's even worse! I went to see a band in Swindon a couple or weeks ago, spent an age finding a car park, walked to the gig and only afterwards realised that I no idea idea where the car was. Luckily, my phone had remembered and directed me back there. 

Oxford is dreadful for parking. When we play there we have to park our vehicles a long way from the theatre, and the car parking prices are ridiculous too. 

35 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

We play in Newcastle occasionally and it's always a nightmare getting parked with the lack of parking spaces, bus lanes and one-way streets. If you can't find a space near the pub then you have to literally drive out of the city centre and come right around the ring road and back in again to another car car park. Such a shame because the city centre gigs can be really good.

The other thing that amazes me is that the car parking spaces in the city are always full on an evening and are still full when we leave after 12am. And these drivers aren't drinking alcohol?...

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I find that's just my age Dave, nothing to do with city parking. I do that in Tesco's. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Davy said:

We play in Newcastle occasionally and it's always a nightmare getting parked with the lack of parking spaces, bus lanes and one-way streets.

Not had a problem parking (the place that we play has an underground car park by the load-in), but the one way system and bus lanes are a nightmare. At the last gig, the keys player got a fine for driving in a bus lane (that he successfully appealed). Gawd knows how I didn't - really confusing... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, peteb said:

Not had a problem parking (the place that we play has an underground car park by the load-in), but the one way system and bus lanes are a nightmare. At the last gig, the keys player got a fine for driving in a bus lane (that he successfully appealed). Gawd knows how I didn't - really confusing... 

Glasgow is using those intermittent bus lanes that are only enforced at certain times. 

Its getting to the point you need to study a Glasgow road map before you drive in the city centre. 

When driving you dont really have time to read all the small print on the signage. All i see is BUS LANE and i just dont go there.

Dave

5 minutes ago, peteb said:

I'm guessing you played at Trillians Bar. I've never played there but have been in the audience there a few times(without a car).

The last thing you want is a traffic fine after a long drive from Yorkshire, petrol money and probably not a great fee. Hope the gig was good at least...

• Like 1

We played in Sunderland city centre last night. Parking was actually OK(right out the back).

Not really the venue for us, DJ was playing 80s music while where were setting up.

It was actually much louder than we were, so much so that I had to wear my earplugs while we were setting up.

Wasn't too bad in the end after the DJ had gone and we went on but I sometimes wonder why these places put bands on when the 80s stuff seemed to have more punters in than we did playing classic rock.

Looking forward to a couple of weeks off now after three weeks of back to back weekend gigs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Davy said:

I'm guessing you played at Trillians Bar. I've never played there but have been in the audience there a few times(without a car).

The last thing you want is a traffic fine after a long drive from Yorkshire, petrol money and probably not a great fee. Hope the gig was good at least...

Yea, Trillians is always a great gig with one of the best crowds around, even if it doesn't pay as much as it used to. Still, always a gig that you look forward to. 

The keys player is actually based in Morecambe. He did successfully appeal the fine, saying that the signage isn't clear. I know that I managed to end up in a bus lane somehow, but fortunately I wasn't caught on camera. Very confusing... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, peteb said:

First time I played in the centre of Reading I picked up two fines for bus lane infringements. The fines cost more than I got paid for the gig. I played there a few more times and drove very carefully, but picked up another bus lane fine and refused to play there again. I think on that night everyone in the band was also clobbered with parking fines. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 03/04/2022 at 19:21, CJPJ said:

Just discovered this thread - love it although makes me feel like a bit of an amateur (which I am 😄 ).

I'm in a covers band - all got jobs, just a bit of hobby practicing in a studio each week - and we've just started playing out live - we played the Star Inn in Guildford last week in a charity gig. This is one of fave track - Town Called Malice. I don't use a pick . . . like I said, amateur....

The thought of playing again still fills me with dread even though it was such a buzz.

Well played CJPJ, that bass part gives me left hand cramps. I want to move it towards the end of our set so I can warm up and then finish wish Malice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Played a private 40th bash on Saturday with the band at The pavilion in Donisthorpe. Went down a treat and got great reviews afterwards again. We were told we were on at 9, but had to be packed and out by midnight, which meant cutting or sets a bit short, but had a bunch of people dancing which is always the aim. 

I was playing mainly through the PA, with my backline practically silent. (In ear monitors). I was getting frustrated by a loud resonant boomy F and F# unfortunately, and was struggling to eq it out, so found myself playing around it a lot.  It was causing havoc with the bass bins of the pa, but the punters weren't that bothered. Making my consider whether I need either a high pass filter or a graphic eq pedal? Not sure which one would assist with this problem. 20220514_201350.thumb.jpg.7ec16a70fd2e85d4d28af9f1973a3fa5.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AScheck9 said:

I was getting frustrated by a loud resonant boomy F and F# unfortunately, and was struggling to eq it out, so found myself playing around it a lot.  It was causing havoc with the bass bins of the pa, but the punters weren't that bothered. Making my consider whether I need either a high pass filter or a graphic eq pedal? Not sure which one would assist with this problem. 

Both too course to take out a specific couple of notes like that. Need a parametric something for that. if I had that live I could probably take it out on the PA if I remembered (with an X18), or if I had one of my parametric basses (the EHB or something with a john east), although a bit of a fine cut for those. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AScheck9 said:

Played a private 40th bash on Saturday with the band at The pavilion in Donisthorpe. Went down a treat and got great reviews afterwards again. We were told we were on at 9, but had to be packed and out by midnight, which meant cutting or sets a bit short, but had a bunch of people dancing which is always the aim. 

I was playing mainly through the PA, with my backline practically silent. (In ear monitors). I was getting frustrated by a loud resonant boomy F and F# unfortunately, and was struggling to eq it out, so found myself playing around it a lot.  It was causing havoc with the bass bins of the pa, but the punters weren't that bothered. Making my consider whether I need either a high pass filter or a graphic eq pedal? Not sure which one would assist with this problem. 20220514_201350.thumb.jpg.7ec16a70fd2e85d4d28af9f1973a3fa5.jpg

Looks like parametric filter would be able to clobber the 90ish hz resonance. Low ceiling vs hard floor = half a wavelength distance makes for reflected energy in phase with itself on return forming a standing wave.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Looks like parametric filter would be able to clobber the 90ish hz resonance. Low ceiling vs hard floor = half a wavelength distance makes for reflected energy in phase with itself on return forming a standing wave.

image.png.e4780f5abd8b062341b484fd32688c72.png

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Sorry I don't have video or even a pic, but this is at our Students' Honor Jazz Seminar in Germany a few weeks ago. These are ages 15-18, Vocal Jazz Ensemble, and I am playing my recently-acquired Specter lined fretless. It was nerve-racking reading that far up the dusty end!

Bass sounds amazing and nice playing there sir.

Harmonies are fantastic. Really enjoyed that.

The lead vocalist reminded me a bit of early Judie Tzuke.

Very nice indeed.

Dave

• Like 1

Played in a small venue (40-50 seats) last night. Went quite well, despite changing an arrangement (and having to practice it) 15 minutes before the doors opened.

Apparently, mature Cotswold ladies like bass solos and want more volume.

IMG_3861.JPG

• Like 5