Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Car crash. People losing their way all over the place.

Audience loved it, we had a painful but honest sit down afterwards.

Similar to my gig it seems! Thing is the audience don't notice most of what you will have noticed. Even my bandmates didn't notice the vast majority of my mistakes on Saturday night. We've agreed to have a "random riff quiz" at our next practice: list the songs each of us tends to f up, randomly shout the name of a song and everyone needs to belt out the riff together! 

• Haha 1

Played at an awesome venue in Burton on Friday night- Burton Elite Venue : The Ritz. First Gig where we were supplied with in house PA, and a sound guy, and he did an awesome job of making us sound good! Ticketed event, and there was just over 120 people there. We played our asses off and did pretty well, if I'm honest! We got great reviews from the owner and sound guy after the night, so hopefully we get invited back. 

I got thrown in the deep end for the last song- we played an oasis song that the entire band had played before in their previous bands, but not me! A quick check of the tab, and managed to pull one out of the bag 🤘💪 The other band members have all done some session musician stuff in their 30 year careers, whereas I'm certainly catching up, having only played for 5... Playing with those that are better than you though really does make you better. It's pushing me hard!

Anyways, filled the dance floor in the second set, so happy days. 

20220506_194610.thumb.jpg.4b42fcf5c4e4321cb334116216721549.jpg

Edited by AScheck9
  • Like 9

Played The Half-Moon in Putney last night. Great venue, although there wasn't much of an audience, which we put down to a choice of:

It was a Thursday night

It was well outside of our local area

People don't like us

Aside from that, it was a really enjoyable evening, challenging as the drummist wasn't there, but good nonetheless.

FB_IMG_1652442127625.jpg

20220512_212411.jpg

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Played The Half-Moon in Putney last night. Great venue, although there wasn't much of an audience, which we put down to a choice of:

It was a Thursday night

It was well outside of our local area

People don't like us

Aside from that, it was a really enjoyable evening, challenging as the drummist wasn't there, but good nonetheless.

FB_IMG_1652442127625.jpg

20220512_212411.jpg

We're finding same thing on Friday nights that used to be busy but not so much now. If people are going out i think they will prefer a Sat night if at all.

Sign of the times i'm afraid.

Dave

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I know the Half-Moon has a reputation of being one of "the venues" on the circuit but I`ve always found it pretty quiet whenever I`ve been there. 

I played there about three years ago with the Grateful Dudes, I remember it being fairly full. We must have had a few in as I took home over £150 and that was door money minus expenses split six ways. Of course, that was pre-covid.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Played at Glasgow Royal Concert Hall on Monday night with Elton John tribute act I’m Still Standing, as part of a four date tour up there. Had a grand old time. 

72000B63-F38E-4459-808A-866BC22E218B.jpeg

Isaac Newton would have loved to see a modern light show with dichroic afilters and narrowband LEDs. You csn see a proof of his work on the composition of light right there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Isaac Newton would have loved to see a modern light show with dichroic afilters and narrowband LEDs. You csn see a proof of his work on the composition of light right there!

Er yes. I couldn’t agree more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

It was great. Biggest venue I’ve played apart from outdoor festival slots etc. Really enjoyed it. 

And you look as tho you are really enjoying it and getting into it. That looks like a happy at their work band.

Dave

• Like 1

On 13/05/2022 at 13:12, dmccombe7 said:

We're finding same thing on Friday nights that used to be busy but not so much now. If people are going out i think they will prefer a Sat night if at all.

Sign of the times i'm afraid.

Dave

Up in the North-East, Sunday afternoon gigs are becoming the new Friday night for some reason. Doesn't work for me unfortunately as I have kids so I have to knock them back.

I think generally the audience numbers have been dropping up here since the early 90s when I first starting gigging. Back then pubs were normally pretty full every weekend and there were a lot more Thursday night gigs too.

Tribute bands, 80s bands and function bands still seem to do quite well though. 

Maybe it's just that people are a bit fed up with the classic rock that my band is doing.

Funnily enough, I suggested to the band at the gig last night that we do a side project next year, playing stuff a bit less heavy. Didn't go down too well with the guitarists...🤣

Anyway, my gig last night. A lovely purpose built performance venue in Northumberland called Platform 1.

Great in-house PA and lights and a proper stage!

We had to mix our own sound but we use a Soundcraft ui16 with ipad mixers normally so just connected into their speakers(4 bass bins/4 tops and 3 monitors) and it was fine.

The room was very live sounding but a great audience and no heavy lifting for a change.

received_676760480277181.jpeg

Edited by Davy
  • Like 7

Private party for a 40th. I don't think necessarily they really needed a band but we got them dancing once they had drunk enough so it went down ok, and paid well as it was a party.

Down these ways, since the pandemic, we have had more people at our gigs, and they have been paying better for the first time in a decade

• Like 4

We played at The Boston Music Rooms at Tuffnell Park last night. A bit of drama with a punch up outside. One of roadies was a witness and had to give the feds a statement.

Made to feel really comfortable by the staff there. The sound engineer was filling in but was really good. He only soundchecked the drums and vox. He did my bass while I was getting my tone but didn't bother with guitars and keys. Told us to run a number and did it on the fly with great results. 

Could have done with a few more in but enough to make it worthwhile and create a racket. 

That's the end of the official tour, next Saturday afternoon we'll be doing the Red Dragon Festival at Llangollen.

FB_IMG_1652547078042.jpg

• Like 7

Did a couple of Sunday afternoon gigs with the Glam rock band and they were sold out but sunday afternoon with the punk band didn't really work. Different types of venue tho. Glam was a proper club venue and punk was a rock venue more suited to a Sat night party.

Dave