Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I flew out to Ibiza to play the opening night of HRH Road Trip. The show was great, although I took my cheap Musicman copy as I didn't trust Ryanair with an expensive bass. The Ashdown rig sounded decent and the show was really well attended. My first trip over to mainland Europe since Covid. Ibiza was surprisingly not Chav!  

IMG_4836.jpg.161dd8da8f7b337d6f208fa53ef9070e.jpg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I flew out to Ibiza to play the opening night of HRH Road Trip. The show was great, although I took my cheap Musicman copy as I didn't trust Ryanair with an expensive bass. The Ashdown rig sounded decent and the show was really well attended. My first trip over to mainland Europe since Covid. Ibiza was surprisingly not Chav!  

IMG_4836.jpg.161dd8da8f7b337d6f208fa53ef9070e.jpg

Whats the bass? I have an OLP active which is the business!

On 05/05/2022 at 12:30, Cat Burrito said:

Just the entry level MM Stingray. I had an Olp a few years ago and liked it a lot. 

should have asked the name of your band while I was at it!

Edited by Mickeyboro

From flying 1300 miles to Ibiza at the start of the week to playing my closest gig to a homecoming ever, an open mic on the very road I grew up on, last night saw my school friend and I in our revived 80s alternative band playing covers by The Cure and the Mission on my mandolin. On many levels I enjoyed it as much as playing Ibiza!

IMG_4909.jpg.3e5ffd2be0aef194beffb65508d2ae58.jpg

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Alfie said:

Second gig with new band. Top musicians, great songs and we totally nailed our set.

But there was nobody there.

We've noticed that on Fri nights its a hit or a miss as far as audiences go. Saturday nights are usually pretty good turnout but some Fridays have been slow even tho we get great feedback on the gigs from those present so i'm guessing its not down to the band :laugh1:

Few of the venues we play have also mentioned they are finding Friday nights can be up and down.

Either people are still taking precautions after Covid or they just cant afford to go out 2 nights in a weekend and most people prefer a Sat night out. 

Hopefully it will all pick up as time goes on but that's maybe just wishful thinking.

Dave 

41 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Apparently there's a 'cost of living crisis' out there....!

Here at YFS Towers we are eating own brand foods and wearing fleeces, with it being 23 degrees today that seemed a bit peverse, but who am I to disagree with an Expert.

Is that aimed at me ?

If so I don't understand why the aggressive tone. A simple agreement with my point would suffice.

Edited by dmccombe7

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that aimed at me ?

If so I don't understand why the aggressive tone. A simple agreement with my point would suffice.

Totally tongue in cheek my friend, I was being ironic given the advice from our politicans and in no way was I having a pop at you.  Sorry you felt I was being aggressive, in my eyes I was being humourous..different strokes obviously😏

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Totally tongue in cheek my friend, I was being ironic given the advice from our politicans and in no way was I having a pop at you.  Sorry you felt I was being aggressive, in my eyes I was being humourous..different strokes obviously😏

No probs. I need to lighten up and that's me without a drink on a sat night. Afraid I don't watch politicians, they're too depressing.

All good and apologies for taking it wrong way.

Dave

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that aimed at me ?

Not seeing the aggro myself. Winter on the way here and I have busted out the beanie for evening wear a couple of nights lately in preference to the heater. It's surprisingly effective in making the whole world cosy for nil cost except the fashion gaff.

We played at The Wrecking Ball Arts Centre at Hull. A long drive and a load in upstairs but what a lovely venue.

Downstairs is a record shop/bookshop/cafe with lots of vinyl.

Upstairs is a 100 seater venue with small bar. Nice sound due to heavy drapes all round. It's fitted out with a top quality PA and a young full time sound engineer who really knows his stuff.

We played without a support band (Vambo have been with us on most of the dates) and it was nice to stretch our legs for over two hours.

I had a change and used my GK MB500 instead of my Bugera. Achieved a nice tone with a really solid bottom end, not sure if it was the amp or the raised stage/PA but I'll try the same set up next week.

Sound was excellent, had a decent crowd and despite being a man down due to illness we had a great night.

The Bullingdon in Oxford next Thursday and The Boston Music Rooms in London on Friday bring the tour to an end.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, King Tut said:

We played at The Wrecking Ball Arts Centre at Hull. A long drive and a load in upstairs but what a lovely venue.

Downstairs is a record shop/bookshop/cafe with lots of vinyl.

Upstairs is a 100 seater venue with small bar. Nice sound due to heavy drapes all round. It's fitted out with a top quality PA and a young full time sound engineer who really knows his stuff.

We played without a support band (Vambo have been with us on most of the dates) and it was nice to stretch our legs for over two hours.

I had a change and used my GK MB500 instead of my Bugera. Achieved a nice tone with a really solid bottom end, not sure if it was the amp or the raised stage/PA but I'll try the same set up next week.

Sound was excellent, had a decent crowd and despite being a man down due to illness we had a great night.

The Bullingdon in Oxford next Thursday and The Boston Music Rooms in London on Friday bring the tour to an end.

Glad you enjoyed coming to Hull. (I would have been there myself but am away at the moment.)

It’s a good venue as you say, and they have some other great bands lined up too. 

Good luck with your other dates.

• Thanks 1

Great weekend at the NADB bikers rally just outside Knutsford. Played Friday and Saturday nights in two different marquees. Bikers love their glam rock and despite a few technical niggles with power on the first night we all had a great time. Took two of the shorties, Fallout on the first night and Mustang on the second. Can’t wait for the Farmyard rally in June. 

20F1F342-23FA-400E-8794-EA862892B9BE.jpeg

• Like 8

Odd gig Saturday night. Had to wait until Liverpool v Spurs finished so didn't start playing until quarter to ten. We had loads of new songs to try out before a massive gig in two weeks but this meant I forgot and messed up loads of the set staples. Loads of issues with volume (staff telling us to turn down even though we were as quiet as we could manage if you didn't want a drum solo all night) and a strange room for

sound. Very small audience sat still in chairs either chatting and reacting a bit to the start of a few songs or staring intensely at us throughout. Started to feel ill through the set and just couldn't wait for it to be over. 

FInding the positives: we got a rubbish gig out of our system before our next which we want to be perfect; I have a greater focus on what to practice for the next two weeks.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, martthebass said:

Great weekend at the NADB bikers rally just outside Knutsford. Played Friday and Saturday nights in two different marquees. Bikers love their glam rock and despite a few technical niggles with power on the first night we all had a great time. Took two of the shorties, Fallout on the first night and Mustang on the second. Can’t wait for the Farmyard rally in June. 

20F1F342-23FA-400E-8794-EA862892B9BE.jpeg

Tabley? I've sung many times with a chamber choir in the chapel there- slightly different gig! I worked near Knutsford for nearly 40 years

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Car crash. People losing their way all over the place.

Audience loved it, we had a painful but honest sit down afterwards.

At the end of the day Stub, if the audience enjoyed it then you won.  I used to beat myself up on mistakes I made on gigs, these days I just think 'I covered that up well'...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

Tabley? I've sung many times with a chamber choir in the chapel there- slightly different gig! I worked near Knutsford for nearly 40 years

Royal Cheshire showground just outside Northwich.  Fortunately didn't get too muddy.

• Like 1

The Cave in Paisley Glasgow with the punk band last night. Love playing this wee pub gig. Start at 6 finish at 9pm and home for 11 after stopping for a kebab.

Audience always up for it and a great night was had.

Dave

• Like 3

Eh Up Mi Duck festival up near Doncaster on Saturday night. It's a small festival but the revellers were plenty rowdy! Absolutely crazy mosh pit, loads of singing along and dancing, good pay, and beers in the van for the way home

• Like 3