Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Singer in that particular band has a great attitude. Even if there's only a handful of folk, it's their Saturday night out, and we are there to entertain them.

Yeh, our singer is like that, he can keep the enthusiasm up when he just getting nothing back from the audience, not something I could do. I guess he does scout and cub things so he is used to a hard audience!

Played Desertfest London on Friday. Absolute dream come true opening up the black heart stage. Room was full and we hit our stride pretty well I think. Sound, as always in that venue, was on point and I got my GT200 near enough to exactly where I like it on gain and volume through an orange 810.  Seemed to go down pretty well, and rounded off with a few pints and more bands. Been waiting for this one since 2020 so a blast to actually do it. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Singer in that particular band has a great attitude. Even if there's only a handful of folk, it's their Saturday night out, and we are there to entertain them.

Its amazing how a full house makes you feel like the band is playing better. The packed gigs i always find the bands are tighter.

Empty gigs i've seen me lose my focus a bit while trying to figure out why there's lnot a lot of people in. 😂

Dave

• Like 2

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Its amazing how a full house makes you feel like the band is playing better. The packed gigs i always find the bands are tighter.

Empty gigs i've seen me lose my focus a bit while trying to figure out why there's lnot a lot of people in. 😂

Dave

Oh god yes. Not just the audience numbers either. If I let myself mither on anything beyond playing, these days I totally lose focus. Must be my age.

Last night it was altering an effect and wondering why it was so far out of kilter when I'd spent so long balancing it with the other effects. Couldn't get my head off that and onto the job in hand.

Also a problem with the PA was on my mind and I felt I let myself down when that surfaced.

Weird.

• Haha 1

Clinging on to the dream that we might one day come across (?) the best female vocalist on the planet, we got suckered into letting a couple of young lasses take the vocals on Sweet Child Of Mine last night. Will we never learn?! 😲 At least they didn't fall over and trash anything as they hadn't been in the club (?) long enough to get gypsy's kissed yet - only 5 minutes and they needed 10.

• Haha 2

'Gypsy's kissed'? Presumably means inebriated. What WOULD our Victorian PC Police do without Cockney rhyming slang to protect us from honest Anglo-Saxon words? Irony is that these two had almost certainly been kissed by gypsies many times.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

'Gypsy's kissed'? Presumably means inebriated. What WOULD our Victorian PC Police do without Cockney rhyming slang to protect us from honest Anglo-Saxon words? Irony is that these two had almost certainly been kissed by gypsies many times.

Was in a band called Gypsies Kiss in 80's 

1242737592_oldphotos_0006_NEW.thumb.jpg.48bea1e0603b3fb76e37b870b5d8f8b2.jpg

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4

I was in Germany with a group of students from my school and another for an Honor Jazz Festival. I was tasked with coaching the rhythm section in the big band and also playing both fretted and fretless bass for the Vocal Jazz Ensemble. We worked with a clinician from New York, who assigned me a couple of challenging parts. It was a great week with some really talented teenagers and a super final concert. I hope to post some sound files soon.

• Like 4

Headlining at Frome Sunday Market today (means you get 60 minutes rather than the 30 mins the 3 other acts get) and the rain held off for most of the gig. We were under cover, 6 on a tiny stage, no backline so I took the Acinonyx again as they close off the centre of Frome so parking close by is impossible. Apparently sounded good for the punters and onstage pretty good too. Picked up some more garden plant supports from one of the stalls too....

image.png.2827a4799d9ca667bd45ab3452582dfb.png

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Headlining at Frome Sunday Market today

That looks good, if a bit cramped, I guess it was a bit wet out!

Does your guitarist have a peerless there? I know the music shop in frome used to sell peerless (I almost bought one there)

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

That looks good, if a bit cramped, I guess it was a bit wet out!

Does your guitarist have a peerless there? I know the music shop in frome used to sell peerless (I almost bought one there)

Not sure if it is a Peerless or a HB clone, I did remark upon it as we have a standing joke that 'it has to be a real Fender'....

I've not had much time online lately but last weekend was a good one for this thread

Friday night, Northern Kin Festival, massive stage in a big top tent, great crowd, super pro sound crew and system. I got to set up my drums on a riser while the previous act finished, then they just wheeled me on stage

Sunday night, mayday festival of solidarity in Barnsley. It's a nice venue, but very small stage, and I'm forced to use the house drum kit which gradually falls to bits as I play. It was a packed room and a fun gig, but what a crash back down to earth after playing at being a rock star on the Friday night!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I've not had much time online lately but last weekend was a good one for this thread

Friday night, Northern Kin Festival, massive stage in a big top tent, great crowd, super pro sound crew and system. I got to set up my drums on a riser while the previous act finished, then they just wheeled me on stage

Sunday night, mayday festival of solidarity in Barnsley. It's a nice venue, but very small stage, and I'm forced to use the house drum kit which gradually falls to bits as I play. It was a packed room and a fun gig, but what a crash back down to earth after playing at being a rock star on the Friday night!

I always felt like that the first gig after Rebellion, back to the day job so to speak

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

Bet that 2nd gig felt like a reality check :tatice_03:

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I always felt like that the first gig after Rebellion, back to the day job so to speak

I have a few bandmates that generally go to Rebellion.

I know you've probably told me this already but my memory aint what it used to be but what was the band you were with ?

Dave 

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I have a few bandmates that generally go to Rebellion.

I know you've probably told me this already but my memory aint what it used to be but what was the band you were with ?

Dave 

It was Knock Off, Dave.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It was Knock Off, Dave.

I'll ask if they've seen you guys. 

Altho i'm playing in a punk band i have no idea about the various punk bands other than what's on my set list :D

Dave

EDIT :- just checked out some youtube vids and you guys were good and tight. Nice one.

Edited by dmccombe7

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Thanks Dave, all due to hard work rather than any kind of talent at all. Even though we used to gig pretty much every weekend (sometimes both Fri & Sat) we still rehearsed every week. 

I'm also a great believer in rehearsals even when gigging unfortunately we are a minority in that respect.

Dave

• Like 1