Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Yeah I know what you mean. At the end of the day, a gigs a gig, I guess. 

But I do miss a green room with a stocked chiller and a couple of guys sorting the sound. 

Don't really miss soundchecking four hours before showtime though 😂

Had the luxury of a green room few months back in an old church venue that was up and coming for bands in Glasgow. One of the very few times i've come across it.

Apart from taking a bottle of water we never touched it. Jings i'm getting old 🤣

Dave

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Had the luxury of a green room few months back in an old church venue that was up and coming for bands in Glasgow. One of the very few times i've come across it.

Apart from taking a bottle of water we never touched it. Jings i'm getting old 🤣

Dave

Yep. I used to sneer at the weak assed lager in the backstage fridge, nowadays I'd take a couple of waters on stage.

• Haha 1

Played a new (for us) venue last night - the British Legion Club in the old fishing village of Watchet in our home county of Somerset. High expectations as 'Legions' normally have a decent car park and stage. First problem was the sat-nav led me to the car park of a pub called the Star. As there was no sign of the Legion and the Star was in a cul de sac, I decided that road access had to from somewhere behind the pub and set off on a big loop to try and find a way in from the other side. After stopping a couple of times to ask directions, I ended up back at the exact spot where the sat-nav had taken me in the first place. This was indeed the nearest place to off-load and stuff had to be hand-balled the remaining 100 yards to the Club. By now, I've wasted 20 minutes searching the tiny, winding streets around the harbour and am somewhat whizzed off. At least the hoped-for stage is there when I arrive. So, quick set-up and we're straight into Gimme All Your Lovin'. This results in a healthy round of applause and four punters jump up to ask if we can do some more ZZ Top. "Yep, we always finish with Sharp Dressed Man and Tush." The sight of  four smiling faces and 8 thumbs held high means that either there's a party of hitch-hikers in tonight or that we're guaranteed an audience of at least four at the end of the gig. As we get into the first set, we realise that the venue's acoustics are great, the mix is perfect, and the band's exceptionally tight tonight. The gig is even better for me as I'm still in awe of the sounds coming out of my relatively new Mesa TT-800 now I've got my head round it. Because of all the covid stuff, mine's one of a very small number of these amazing amps to have made it to our shores so far, and I'm feeling grateful - smug even 😊. The crowd are with us and the first set just flies by. During the break, I spot that the two different groups of people I asked directions from are in the audience and go and have a chat with them. Like most people, they love classic-rock covers and, even though I've enjoyed playing in a number of bands doing all original material, it's the classic rock that really does it for me. The second set kicks-off with Thunderstruck and also passes in a (Jumpin' Jack) flash. When we're all done and dusted, the Club Manager comes over with a big smile on his face and - even more important - an envelope containing our ill-gotten gains. The cash turns out to be more than expected, which is the icing on the cake! It's 56 years since I played my first high-school gig and I can honestly say that the buzz I get from gigging is as strong now as it was back then.

On a good night at least 😉

• Like 14

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Played a new (for us) venue last night - the British Legion Club in the old fishing village of Watchet in our home county of Somerset. High expectations as 'Legions' normally have a decent car park and stage. First problem was the sat-nav led me to the car park of a pub called the Star. As there was no sign of the Legion and the Star was in a cul de sac, I decided that road access had to from somewhere behind the pub and set off on a big loop to try and find a way in from the other side. After stopping a couple of times to ask directions, I ended up back at the exact spot where the sat-nav had taken me in the first place. This was indeed the nearest place to off-load and stuff had to be hand-balled the remaining 100 yards to the Club. By now, I've wasted 20 minutes searching the tiny, winding streets around the harbour and am somewhat whizzed off. At least the hoped-for stage is there when I arrive. So, quick set-up and we're straight into Gimme All Your Lovin'. This results in a healthy round of applause and four punters jump up to ask if we can do some more ZZ Top. "Yep, we always finish with Sharp Dressed Man and Tush." The sight of  four smiling faces and 8 thumbs held high means that either there's a party of hitch-hikers in tonight or that we're guaranteed an audience of at least four at the end of the gig. As we get into the first set, we realise that the venue's acoustics are great, the mix is perfect, and the band's exceptionally tight tonight. The gig is even better for me as I'm still in awe of the sounds coming out of my relatively new Mesa TT-800 now I've got my head round it. Because of all the covid stuff, mine's one of a very small number of these amazing amps to have made it to our shores so far, and I'm feeling grateful - smug even 😊. The crowd are with us and the first set just flies by. During the break, I spot that the two different groups of people I asked directions from are in the audience and go and have a chat with them. Like most people, they love classic-rock covers and, even though I've enjoyed playing in a number of bands doing all original material, it's the classic rock that really does it for me. The second set kicks-off with Thunderstruck and also passes in a (Jumpin' Jack) flash. When we're all done and dusted, the Club Manager comes over with a big smile on his face and - even more important - an envelope containing our ill-gotten gains. The cash turns out to be more than expected, which is the icing on the cake! It's 56 years since I played my first high-school gig and I can honestly say that the buzz I get from gigging is as strong now as it was back then.

Normally it would be a cold day in hell before I would give a like to a giant wall of text with no paragraphs.

• Haha 1

An afternoon gig for us, in the beer garden of a pub in Nantwich. The landlord's off to pastures new and had put on a weekend of different acts as a last hurrah. 

We played as a 6 piece, as the drummist was otherwise engaged. I always feel a bit nervous when we do this, as there's not much to lock on to and I need to change my usual lines to suit. Overall, it went really well, it was a nice day, we played well and the audience seemed to appreciate it.

As a tenuous link, Thea Gilmore was in the audience and didn't walk out when we played, so I'm taking that as a win! 🤣

• Like 3

8 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Great story apart from rubbing it in about the Mesa TT800. :laugh1:

Kidding of course. Well done.

Dave 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Normally it would be a cold day in hell before I would give a like to a giant wall of text with no paragraphs.

Yes, it is always a pleasure to read your disparaging negativity with perfect punctuation sucking the joy out of everything you post on. 😂

On 13/04/2022 at 13:33, bassbiscuits said:

I’m bit late with this one from Sunday afternoon. Fair weather vintage rock band we put together during lockdown but which has run it’s course really, so this was probably our last planned gig. 

As a result it was super chilled and a really good fun vibe. Had a great time and went down well - judging by some snippets on Facebook it sounded half decent too. 

6D3B7DCC-755C-412E-BEE7-9ED5632791CF.jpeg

Nice photo !

Blue

• Like 1

So we're doing a gig as a trio tonight. 

It involves travelling from one side of Birmingham to the other. I'm a nervous driver and so I  only agreed to do it on condition that I  wouldn't have to drive. Guitarist doesn't drive anyway, so singer offered to drive. But yesterday her car failed its MOT, so guess  what, I'm driving all three of us in my 3 door Fiesta.

It's a multi band event, we're only doing six songs and we're not getting paid. And they've just texted me to say it's in a beer garden, it's cold and so bring a coat. Oh deep joy.

I'll report back later to let you know if it was remotely worth it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Seashell2 said:

So we're doing a gig as a trio tonight. 

It involves travelling from one side of Birmingham to the other. I'm a nervous driver and so I  only agreed to do it on condition that I  wouldn't have to drive. Guitarist doesn't drive anyway, so singer offered to drive. But yesterday her car failed its MOT, so guess  what, I'm driving all three of us in my 3 door Fiesta.

It's a multi band event, we're only doing six songs and we're not getting paid. And they've just texted me to say it's in a beer garden, it's cold and so bring a coat. Oh deep joy.

I'll report back later to let you know if it was remotely worth it.

The joys of playing in a band. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

Last night, wasn’t my best. First time out of my bed for nearly two weeks, after contracting Covid and we hadn’t rehearsed for over a month, due to others having covid. Crowd seemed enthusiastic though and guys had a good time. My voice has gone and not proud of some videos that I’ve seen today of my singing. But looking forward to future, first time we’ve had the same drummer for two gigs in a row, which will bring stability, hopefully. 

• Like 3

Good one for us. Headlining at a PTA event with around 5 other bands. We were in the final 10:15-11:00 slot which was in danger of being around the time that everyone had to go home to relieve babysitters. Needn't have worried as everyone was still there, predictably drunk and having fun on the dance floor. Good times! 

• Like 2

Depping with a half decent band at Worthing last night, hadn't met them before, nice guys.

So, the band play their first set, take a break, and we're about to go back on for the second set when a giant screen is lowered, completely blocking the stage.

Seemed like everyone was there just to watch the Tyson fight, and by the time this had finished there wasn't time to play again.

Got paid in full, but, err, communication, eh ?  😳

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Angelus said:

Last night, wasn’t my best. First time out of my bed for nearly two weeks, after contracting Covid and we hadn’t rehearsed for over a month, due to others having covid. Crowd seemed enthusiastic though and guys had a good time. My voice has gone and not proud of some videos that I’ve seen today of my singing. But looking forward to future, first time we’ve had the same drummer for two gigs in a row, which will bring stability, hopefully. 

Forgot you were down in Lanark and i was off this weekend too.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

....12 hours on....that good huh?!

Well the drive there wasn't too bad, and parking was great. 

But it was freezing bloody cold. Unsurprisingly there were only about three people in the audience other than other bands. I take my hat off to them because I wouldn't have come out of a nice cosy bar to see a band in an arctic beer garden, no matter how good.

Funnily enough, I think I  played quite well  Guitarist was a bit off though because by the time we played, his fingers had frozen stiff! 

Then I got lost on the way home and found myself driving right through the centre of Birmingham, which is the main thing I wanted to avoid. And then guitarist wanted me to stop at a garage so he could get some tobacco. I felt like saying 'No, no, let me go home' . But of course I  didn't. 

Ah well, it's all over now until 15 May, so I  can chill out for a bit. 

• Like 5

Second gig with my new Nordstrand Acinonyx shorty at The George in Croscombe, a nice pub on the main Shepton to Wells road. Very little parking, have had to resort to pavements in the past but managed to find a space in the 5 car car park!

Not a lot of room inside either so glad I brought my small 60 watt MB 101 combo. This I was to regret as the Bass sounded very different to how it had sounded on Easter Monday through the MB CMD121 which is 300 watts! Anyway was tucked in the corner, my combo on a bench and next to our Banjo player( gulp) so the small size of the Bass was helpful too. We went through our 2 sets of Americana-ish stuff finishing on Copperhead Road, for which  our singer broke out the mandolin. Only surprise was she opted to do Hillbilly Highway again for the encore which we played already, rather than another song from the repertoire. Lots of supporters in the audience from the times before CV19 when we used to do Jam nights at the local pub ( which has now closed down, to be revamped as a DFL venue) DFL- down from London!

Next Sunday  we have a slot at Frome Sunday Market which on a nice day is always heaving and just bring your instrument, as one can plug straight into the PA. Looks like the Nordy will get another outing, so much for 2022 being the year of my Telecaster Bass on its 50th Birthday!

• Like 3

First gig in a long time and with the new band in Fordham. Small venue, but good crowd and a perfect place for a first gig. Things went well with a few expected lapses of memory. Really happy to be part of this group…great guys and good musicians.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Seemed like everyone was there just to watch the Tyson fight, and by the time this had finished there wasn't time to play again.

we knew the score for us. They wanted us on at 8:30, play until about 10 to 10 when they did the walkthrough or whatever it is, and then if it finished before 11 go back on until quarter past. 
so we played until 10 to 10 finished with Saturday nights alright for fighting, went down well, the sat around until one of the guys fell over, then came back in with I get knocked down. All seemed to go well.

but I had a terrible tone which I couldn’t correct in my first half, I just took one bass, unusually, and It had no definition or treble. The only thing I can think is I changed the strings a few weeks ago for longevo and lowered the action, maybe that?

asside from that and the short times, it was good, and pay was fine!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

but I had a terrible tone which I couldn’t correct in my first half, I just took one bass, unusually, and It had no definition or treble. The only thing I can think is I changed the strings a few weeks ago for longevo and lowered the action, maybe that?

Odd that you should say that i changed from D'addario nickels to Longevo on my Sandberg MarloweDK and i noticed a lack of definition at my last 2 gigs but couldn't quite figure out what it was until you mentioned that. The bass sounded great when i played the bass on its own but in the mix there was no cut thru the mix. I tried boosting mids and treble at different times but didn't help much.

I'm wondering if they settle a bit after a few gigs. ?

Think i might just go back to the Daddario nickels on my basses. Shame as they feel nice and the tone at home or when playing on my own sounds really nice to me.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Dave

51 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Odd that you should say that i changed from D'addario nickels to Longevo on my Sandberg MarloweDK and i noticed a lack of definition at my last 2 gigs but couldn't quite figure out what it was until you mentioned that. The bass sounded great when i played the bass on its own but in the mix there was no cut thru the mix. I tried boosting mids and treble at different times but didn't help much.

Yes, I spent the whole gig playing with the graphic on the front of my ABM600, although it had the same settings as on my last gig, when I played the Spector with the D'addarios on. 

I tried the bass before I went out (always try before I go out) - I didn't take that bass to the gig last fortnight as I had just change the strings, but I had played it in more since then and it seemed ok.

I have the longevos on my ibanez SR1605 and it sounds fine, but it just doesn't seem to work on the Maruszczyk, which previously had Black strings (sounded great, looked great, ripped the hell out of my fingers), and before that d'addarios, like my other basses. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, I spent the whole gig playing with the graphic on the front of my ABM600, although it had the same settings as on my last gig, when I played the Spector with the D'addarios on. 

I tried the bass before I went out (always try before I go out) - I didn't take that bass to the gig last fortnight as I had just change the strings, but I had played it in more since then and it seemed ok.

I have the longevos on my ibanez SR1605 and it sounds fine, but it just doesn't seem to work on the Maruszczyk, which previously had Black strings (sounded great, looked great, ripped the hell out of my fingers), and before that d'addarios, like my other basses. 

I found this same issue when elixir strings first appeared and that's why i stopped using them plus they had more tension than i liked.

I had completely forgotten all about that.

Dave