Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

A while ago we were offered a gig last night. I had to decline as my brother had arranged a 40th anniversary party for his company. In the end Covid won and none of my family group could go. The gig would have been cancelled for our band too. Makes you wonder how many more Covid cancellations there's going to be!

Edited by mep
  • Sad 2

Just discovered this thread - love it although makes me feel like a bit of an amateur (which I am 😄 ).

I'm in a covers band - all got jobs, just a bit of hobby practicing in a studio each week - and we've just started playing out live - we played the Star Inn in Guildford last week in a charity gig. This is one of fave track - Town Called Malice. I don't use a pick . . . like I said, amateur....

The thought of playing again still fills me with dread even though it was such a buzz.

Edited by CJPJ
updated for new YT link
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Sadly we had to cancel our gig at short notice due to the singer testing positive. Covid, the gift that keeps on giving 😔

Our singer and guitarist tested positive just after our last gig with Glam band and all clear for the next. Singer still has a bit of a breathing problem and thats 3 weeks now.

I was told the secret to avoiding long covid is rest as much as possible when you have it. No idea if that's genuine or true but i'm gonna go with that if i catch it. Our other bands singer's wife now has it. 1 in 11 up here have it apparently.

Hope he gets back to full health quickly and you guys get back to gigging again.

All the best

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mep said:

Makes you wonder how many more Covid cancellations there's going to be!

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

1 in 11 up here have it apparently

With four people in a typical band, the odds that someone have it will be pretty high then (36%ish chance of someone having it??)

Any mathematical like t ogive the actual number  based on 1 in 11 and four people?

1 hour ago, CJPJ said:

Just discovered this thread - love it although makes me feel like a bit of an amateur (which I am 😄 ).

I'm in a covers band - all got jobs, just a bit of hobby practicing in a studio each week - and we've just started playing out live - we played the Star Inn in Guildford last week in a charity gig. This is one of fave track - Town Called Malice. I don't use a pick . . . like I said, amateur....

The thought of playing again still fills me with dread even though it was such a buzz.

Sounds good......I played this one for years finger style, no one ever noticed.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, martthebass said:

Sounds good......I played this one for years finger style, no one ever noticed.

7 hours ago, lozkerr said:

One of our staples. I play it fingerstyle too.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I play it fingerstyle three!

Thanks for feedback. I feel validated 😘

• Like 1

First gig this year yesterday afternoon - part of a seven band line up for an afternoon/early evening in Oxford with Franklin's Tower, an Oxford based Grateful Dead covers band. Several bands couldn't make it, some due to Covid, so we were able to play a decent set length. Seemed to go well, the audience enjoyed it and so did the band.

• Like 3

A bit late posting but my Friday might gig went well. It was a fusion of jazz/funk/reggae. Went down really well. I hate untidy stages but we had PA issues which ate into our allocated time so we had to start on time without chance to move out bags and cases

58290BD9-5A9A-4412-B5E0-65588EF4BBEB.jpeg

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 10

On 04/04/2022 at 06:57, Nail Soup said:

With four people in a typical band, the odds that someone have it will be pretty high then (36%ish chance of someone having it??)

Any mathematical like t ogive the actual number  based on 1 in 11 and four people?

The probability of someone having it is 1- the probability of nobody having it. 1-(10/11)^⁴

= 32%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just back from doing a dep at a local rock n roll club - the band’s usual bassist has got Covid.

Had quite a good evening, plenty of people dancing etc and just a 3 piece band so had to be ‘on it’, no

hiding places etc!  Used my old Precision but made the mistake of not taking my amp and cab as had the

use of the usual bassist’s Markbass 2x10 combo. Thought this would be okay but at anything like stage

volume it sounded like the speakers were complaining, so used a DI into the (rather small) PA to help

spread the sound a bit. Ended up being okay but annoyed with myself for being lazy - lesson learnt if 

there’s a next time. Anyway, two 45 minute sets flew by and home before midnight so happy days.

• Like 3

Donated a gig at a local-ish ale house in Skegness.

Passed the hat around the punters a couple of times and, together with £100 from a secret Red Letter Day raffle, raised £510 in total which will go to the relief effort in Moldovan refugee camps.

A nights work well done.

• Like 13

First full gig last night since lockdown. We had to cancel one in March due to a band member getting Covid.

Went really well, we are already booked to return in September but landlord tried to fit us in for another but we didn't have any mutually acceptable dates unfortunately.

Edited by alant
  • Like 4

Great gig last night.

New owners at a pub that hadn't done music for a while, who wanted to see how it went. They had the ex landlady of one of our regular pubs working there, so he asked her who was the best to get in, so she said us, which was nice.

Didn't really know what to expect, probably not so much as the pub is a bit tucked away. By the time we were set up it was really busy, and by half time it was heaving and they had reached their limit of people they could have in the pub. People were responsive and obviously up for a good time. Not sure how much of the 'not much music around for the last few years' there was, although there were other gigs that night in town, and certainly most of the people there we had seen at other gigs.

Took the spector for the first time gigging and it was fantastic, balanced, comfortable and so clear on the top end compared to a lot of basses. Very comfortable to play. I think it might make its way to be one of my preffered gigging basses!

• Like 6

First chance to play a full set with the new band last night in a pub in Crawley. It’s a long time since I did a full two hours plus a couple of encore numbers, got in at 1am. Shattered today but well worth it, place was bouncing at the end. Best moment was when our singer said halfway through the first set “can we all just stop a moment to appreciate how good the bass sounds”. I doubt the audience cared but it was nice to hear. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, SuperSeagull said:

First chance to play a full set with the new band last night in a pub in Crawley. It’s a long time since I did a full two hours plus a couple of encore numbers, got in at 1am. Shattered today but well worth it, place was bouncing at the end. Best moment was when our singer said halfway through the first set “can we all just stop a moment to appreciate how good the bass sounds”. I doubt the audience cared but it was nice to hear. 

You dont get a compliment like that very often. Well done sir.

Now curious what gear you were using 😂

Dave

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

You dont get a compliment like that very often. Well done sir.

Now curious what gear you were using 😂

Dave

Thank you. Worth saying that the singer plays bass in another band so he is naturally listening to me more than others might. I play a Status S2 and make liberal use of the switchable mid sweep to change overall sound as the song demands it, sansamp and into a MB 1x12 combo and 1x12 extension cab. All the eq on the MB is flat. Never been happier with my sound. Make minor (v minor) eq adjustments on the bass and sansamp depending on room and if I am using the extension cab or not. Had a recent experiment with some Ashdown gear which was v nice but not quite right for me.

Edited by SuperSeagull
  • Thanks 1