Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

"About Time", which may just have been a comment on making a decision seems to have some traction.

It came from the drummer  so it may be a reflection on our ability to keep time, which is more challenging when you have four people who aren't drummers or bass players.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2022 at 05:24, dmccombe7 said:

That's why i dont dep at short notice. I dont want to be put under that kind of pressure. I know a lot of guys on here know lots of the usual songs for their particular band style and can drop in at very short notice but i tend to forget songs once they are out the set list and if i need to play them again i need to refresh my old head.

Its not age i've always been like that.

Best example for me is Burn by Deep Purple. I absolutely love playing that song over the many years but could i play it today ......... NOPE, and i've played it so many times including a DP tribute band 😂

Dave

The trick is to never learn anything too well.

• Haha 1

Just got in from my latest, an after-show gig at The Bear in Northampton. On at 1am - yes you read that right - for a 45min set. Made a change to be leaving home at 10pm to go to a gig. Went well, played well and a good crowd who had poured out of The Roadmender at 12:30. Given the late hour and potential drunkenness of the crowd I used my Mex Precision rather than US, and it was fine, sounded good and stayed in tune nicely. Only downside was M1 J15 was closed so had a bit of BBC a detour to get back on it via Milton Keynes. So 2 gigs in with this band now and am really enjoying it. 

• Like 5

Not so much a 'How was your gig' as a pre-emptive for tonight's gig: Irish/sporty bar in the city centre, on Paddy's Day Weekend, three sets, just after the last game of the Six Nations, when Ireland may win it all.

I've told my other half to expect me back home clutching the evening's cash and covered in Guinness...I think I'll take my cheaper basses...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

The trick is to never learn anything too well.

I think i'm already at that point after 4 yrs with the band 🤣

My problem is i like to learn a cover song as close to the original as possible and tend to write out the bass line note for note.

Dave

10 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Not so much a 'How was your gig' as a pre-emptive for tonight's gig: Irish/sporty bar in the city centre, on Paddy's Day Weekend, three sets, just after the last game of the Six Nations, when Ireland may win it all.

I've told my other half to expect me back home clutching the evening's cash and covered in Guinness...I think I'll take my cheaper basses...

Enjoy and have fun. Sounds like it could be a great night.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Just got in from my latest, an after-show gig at The Bear in Northampton. On at 1am - yes you read that right - for a 45min set. Made a change to be leaving home at 10pm to go to a gig. Went well, played well and a good crowd who had poured out of The Roadmender at 12:30. Given the late hour and potential drunkenness of the crowd I used my Mex Precision rather than US, and it was fine, sounded good and stayed in tune nicely. Only downside was M1 J15 was closed so had a bit of BBC a detour to get back on it via Milton Keynes. So 2 gigs in with this band now and am really enjoying it. 

Now that's a late night gig. I've never heard of that before. Personally its a bit too late for me, i'd be falling asleep during it but that's an age thing. 😂

They do the same in Glasgow area with the motorways shut down completely after 11pm on a Sat for repairs. Some of the detours have taken me an hour just to get back on the motorway again. A journey that normally takes me an hour to get home takes me 2 hrs.

Dave

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

"About Time", which may just have been a comment on making a decision seems to have some traction.

It came from the drummer  so it may be a reflection on our ability to keep time, which is more challenging when you have four people who aren't drummers or bass players.

I like that.

Dave

• Like 1

Played at a pub in Brighton last night, short set of original material. Really well organised evening, PA and back line provided. Bass amp was a small Ampeg which was very snarly and a bit underpowered but lovely being able to turn up with just my bass. The band on before us were very impressive, all younger than my kids 😬 After our set a punter came over and said it was good to see us still playing “at our age”. I’m not 60 for another few months!

Edited by SuperSeagull
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Got a punk gig tomorrow night. Not sure how its gonna go as our singer got hit quite bad with Covid few weeks ago and she's getting out of breath quite quickly. She still wants to do the gig but will be taking it easy with no jumping about like she normally does.

Lucky enough that its a small venue usually filled with followers of the band so that should help make it a bit easier for her.

Audience participation will be required LOL

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Now that's a late night gig. I've never heard of that before. Personally its a bit too late for me, i'd be falling asleep during it but that's an age thing. 😂

They do the same in Glasgow area with the motorways shut down completely after 11pm on a Sat for repairs. Some of the detours have taken me an hour just to get back on the motorway again. A journey that normally takes me an hour to get home takes me 2 hrs.

Dave

Well it did take some energy drinks to give me some get up & go on the drive there but as it was only my 2nd gig with the band I was high on natural enthusiasm. The gig was arranged before I joined the band so was a case of having to do it, and although I wouldn’t want to make a habit of it it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, I really thought I’d be near nodding off at that time.

• Haha 1

Depped on bass with a rock’n’roll band last night - I normally dep on guitar with them.

’73 P (La Bellas) > Demeter head > BF One 10

Plenty of volume for the pub, and a nice full and warm sound. They were trying out a new dep guitarist, who admitted to being a bit rusty. Hopefully tonight (same lineup) will be better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Well it did take some energy drinks to give me some get up & go on the drive there but as it was only my 2nd gig with the band I was high on natural enthusiasm. The gig was arranged before I joined the band so was a case of having to do it, and although I wouldn’t want to make a habit of it it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, I really thought I’d be near nodding off at that time.

Half an hour into my drive home the adrenaline has gone and i just feel sleepy. 😂

Dave

10 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Covid research doc on the news the other day looking into long covid cases: "rest up good and proper if you don't want long covid''.

That's a handy tip to know as i usually like to keep as active as possible when i have a flu like illness as i feel it helps keep my lungs clearer.

Dave 

First gig for the covers band last night, as a private party for one guitarist's birthday/friends of the band. Bonkers audience all waving their phone torches for 'with or without you'  much fun but sometimes felt like chaos on stage.  Really fun friendly night and some nice appreciation from audience.

• Like 5

Not exactly 'my', not exactly 'a gig', and not on bass, but.............

My first 'gig' since lockdown: I joined a band (on vocals) for 4 songs at a pub gig.

Punk covers, went down really well, got some good feedback from the crowd and it felt great to be back performing.

Still buzzing!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Depped on bass with a rock’n’roll band last night - I normally dep on guitar with them.

’73 P (La Bellas) > Demeter head > BF One 10

Plenty of volume for the pub, and a nice full and warm sound. They were trying out a new dep guitarist, who admitted to being a bit rusty. Hopefully tonight (same lineup) will be better.

Well that was interesting!

Guitarist had just arrived when he got a phone call regarding a family emergency. After a while it was still not clear whether he would be able to do the gig so I nipped home and picked up guitar, amp and pedalboard. On the way I called another bassist to see if he could dep, but to no avail.

I played the first set on lead guitar (no bass) which I have done before but don’t enjoy because it feels very exposed. Guitarist appeared in the audience during this, so at the break we got him to set up. This he did with no apparent regard for the stage space I would still need. I moved my mic stand back a fair bit which made things tolerable, but he’d also left stuff on the floor which made it more cramped than it needed to be. Given the somewhat pressurised situation I didn’t address this with him, I but I certainly will if (when) it happens next time.

Not the most enjoyable night but the club audience seemed to like us and the BL paid me extra for bailing them out.

• Like 3

Musically last night went well. Good set up, good sound mix, no major clangers with anyones playing.

Sadly turnout was diasppointing.  We'd plugged it to death on our FB page and sure enough some of our hardcore fans turned up, but the venue themselves had done nob all to promote it.  Don't get me wrong, it was still a decent turnout, but were used to venues being absolutely packed. 

Still, we got paid just the same.

• Like 2

Had a good gig last night at a 70's/80's event last night in Brean. No photos of it yet but I did take a shot of my rig, which actually is better looking than me anyway.

DI & mic'd cab meant some heavy reggae bass was felt last night.

275178718_10159598840674192_2512967245566977085_n.jpg

• Like 2

Our first gig of the year. Last one was in October.  Had a moment when I had no sound out until I realised my headphone switch was enraged on the back of my RM500. Drummer forgot the legs to his floor Tom so after a quick sound check i went home to get our sons spare one from his old kit we store for him. We had a great sound and were well settled in for the 2nd set. Good to me back at our favourite venue and catch up with the regulars who really enjoyed us being back.

• Like 2