Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

A strange one. A group wanted us to play in suits. After the very quiet set of jazz standards they wanted to talk and eat by themselves. After long time together, they decided they want to sing and dance.

Yes, we were slightly whizzed off but could push ourselves to a good drive - and everybody was happy. There haven't been too many gigs around, so everything is fine at this point. They seemed to need time together after all this quarantine thing, and being afraid of the disease. They nearly shouted the songs they knew.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, itu said:

A strange one. A group wanted us to play in suits. After the very quiet set of jazz standards they wanted to talk and eat by themselves. After long time together, they decided they want to sing and dance.

Yes, we were slightly whizzed off but could push ourselves to a good drive - and everybody was happy. There haven't been too many gigs around, so everything is fine at this point. They seemed to need time together after all this quarantine thing, and being afraid of the disease. They nearly shouted the songs they knew.

TBH this raises more questions than it answers 😄

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, itu said:

So was this a gig, or a sub-plot from a black-&-white Scandinavian art movie? :lol: 

• Haha 3

They were just around 30 people seeing each other after a long time. They seemed to have fun together and happened to have some money for the live music. I would guess this was not the first time for them to have a private party.

Last Saturdays gig was in a wonderful saxon church, St Mary's in Higham Ferrers....the acoustics were awesome...over 100 people and we raised ~£1400 for the church roof! audience in the pew's and yes dancing in the aisles

Inbox__951_messages__2_unread_.thumb.gif.a71b781fb1d635f47afc14b1dc412f5d.gif

• Like 10

Gig number 2 with Last of Our Kind, this time at the Wyggeston in Burton on Trent. Atmosphere was great, which isn't unusual in this pub! Sorted the feedback issue with our new sound system, so it was a loud, clear gig. Again, we've been asked back,  and the manager was extremely happy with us- so much so we got paid more than what we'd asked for!

This time though... we played no one knows by QOTSA, and my bass cut out as soon as it got to the solo! Complete silence. No drums, no guitar, no singer and no bass...  A quick "Oh shoot, hold on guys" down the microphone, a quick kick of the pedal board, something clicked, and carried on with the solo. Worked a charm- crowd loved it!

I certainly skipped a heart beat though. I think it's time to retire that bass guitar... (Not the Yamaha in the picture)

IMG-20220313-WA0010.thumb.jpg.b6515980a8e9b8422b61c2ca8b4513f3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

St Pat's night gig at the Blue Lagoon in Bristle lady night. 

I've played there before and it was steaming, expected great things, but it was oddly quiet. A few groups came in drank danced cheered then left. The venue didn't help by leaving the dance floor full of tables.

Still, no complaints from me, a Thursday gig is free money.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

I've played there before and it was steaming, expected great things, but it was oddly quiet. A few groups came in drank danced cheered then left. The venue didn't help by leaving the dance floor full of tables.

Paid rehearsal is how i view some gigs.

Dave

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Last time we played there, some drunk idiot flashed his flaccid knob at our frontlady... She pointed at it and laughed, and as he was being thrown out she called "I wouldn't show that pathetic thing to too many people if I were you sweetheart".

Edited by Rich
Smelling pistake
  • Haha 2

On 14/03/2022 at 13:42, BCH said:

Last Saturdays gig was in a wonderful saxon church, St Mary's in Higham Ferrers....the acoustics were awesome...over 100 people and we raised ~£1400 for the church roof! audience in the pew's and yes dancing in the aisles

Inbox__951_messages__2_unread_.thumb.gif.a71b781fb1d635f47afc14b1dc412f5d.gif

Always wondered how a band would sound in a church! What an amazing experience.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stewblack said:

It's usually a good night in the Blue Lagoon. Played there a few weeks ago and back at the end of the year. 

10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My money is on "The Plastic Chicken Experience"

Call yourselves that and you'll end up with punters asking you to play Voodoo Chile in the style of John and Yoko.

Likewise, avoid 'The Exploding Plastic Chicken Inevitable' unless you want to be dressing up as Nico and making gruff, Teutonic noises over a wall of electric viola feedback.

nico-velvet-underground-600x290.jpg

Nico: Oh, the cheekbones

• Like 1