Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played at The Tivoli Theatre in Wimborne Minster on Friday night. It's a great venue, one of our favourites. A full house too. 

It's a long journey from Yorkshire for us and we usually do it alongside other venues in the south west, but due to blo*dy Covid and

reorganizing dates constantly, we had to do this as a stand-alone. Still, worth the hassle. 😊

6544bf83-69c3-47fc-a94c-86b8dfd151bc.JPG

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, casapete said:

Played at The Tivoli Theatre in Wimborne Minster on Friday night. It's a great venue, one of our favourites. A full house too. 

It's a long journey from Yorkshire for us and we usually do it alongside other venues in the south west, but due to blo*dy Covid and

reorganizing dates constantly, we had to do this as a stand-alone. Still, worth the hassle. 😊

6544bf83-69c3-47fc-a94c-86b8dfd151bc.JPG

Blimey, what a trek! 

• Like 1

Giants of Rock at Butlins, Minehead last night. I took my Bugera and Nemesis 4x10, a rig that never fails to impress. We opened up on Reds at 8pm. Sound crew really knew their onions and we had a great sound despite being a man down. A good crowd and we sold loads of merch and did loads of signings. Still here, waiting for our keyboard player's other band Pearl Handled Revolver to play, then the long trek home!

• Like 1

Tonights gig was 6-9pm one in The Cave, Paisley, Glasgow with the punk band. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Not overly busy but a good crowd and good few comments including some specifically for me.

1st comment after 1st set was about my bass tone and how clear it was. They could hear every note.

2nd comment was about how easy i made it look especially playing punk fingerstyle.

I was pretty chuffed.

Band was complimented by several people after the gig.

Asked to come back on a Sat night either 6-8 or 9-12 whatever we prefer. Venue has 2 bands on a Sat night.

Also another venue owner was in and wants us to play his club. Now have his details to contact him directly.

All in all a good night.

No vids but a few pics were taken. Hopefully some vids will appear soon.

Dave

image.thumb.png.09b583a42157add87f12aaf6960a0e3d.png

• Like 12

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Tonights gig was 6-9pm one in The Cave, Paisley, Glasgow with the punk band. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Not overly busy but a good crowd and good few comments including some specifically for me.

1st comment after 1st set was about my bass tone and how clear it was. They could hear every note.

2nd comment was about how easy i made it look especially playing punk fingerstyle.

I was pretty chuffed.

Band was complimented by several people after the gig.

Asked to come back on a Sat night either 6-8 or 9-12 whatever we prefer. Venue has 2 bands on a Sat night.

Also another venue owner was in and wants us to play his club. Now have his details to contact him directly.

All in all a good night.

No vids but a few pics were taken. Hopefully some vids will appear soon.

Dave

image.thumb.png.09b583a42157add87f12aaf6960a0e3d.png

Good to see the Marlowe getting an airing.

I was once ridiculed for playing Punk finger stylee - I answered with a single finger......

I can remember 'Babylon's Burning' being a bit of a challenge finger plucking.

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

Saturday night should have been good but marred by the venue themselves. We were told we were to use their PA but 'needed to be there at 6 to set up' which slightly set alarm bells off. The PA itself wasn't great and I don't think the venue know how to operate it properly. The monitoring was shocking to the point all I got was a spluttering distorted mess when we set off playing for real. The line level check seemed OK but at gigging volume it just gave up. I suspect they haven't got the monitors properly linked to the necessary auxillary channel from the desk. It threw everyone out so it was one mistake after another, even the gtr/vox who is very exprerience was flustered.

To cap it all I asked when they wanted us to finish and they said the bar closed at 12 so I suggested, because the first set was so ropey we would do an hour instead of 45 min second set and play 10:30 until 11:30. Venue organiser agrees to this. We get to 11:20ish and organiser rushes to stage saying 'this has to be final song'. Turns out their performing licence runs out at 11pm and they were immediately getting complaints from local residents soon after, they didn't even know the rules they were supposed to be running under. We weren't even that loud from some footage sent to our facebook page later but it was impossible to tell as you got nothing back from the FOH PA (long thin room) and the stage sound was beyond sh!te. We've had good gigs there before but something isn't right with their set up now and it leaves me not looking forward to when we are supposed to be going back in the summer. Think I will be taking my own monitor as a minimum. The old stripey strides got another airing at least.

KB_Burton.jpg

Edited by KevB
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Good to see the Marlowe getting an airing.

I was once ridiculed for playing Punk finger stylee - I answered with a single finger......

I can remember 'Babylon's Burning' being a bit of a challenge finger plucking.

I was a bit  worried about fingerstyle but there were a few players back in the day.

Babylons Burning is one of my fav songs to play. Took me a bit to get the chorus just right but now its fairly easy. 

Do Anything You Wanna Do Eddie & Hot Rods is great to play and my fav song Complete Control by Clash is just great to play but not hard at all.

Hardest song is the little bass run in White Riot by Clash. We play the songs a bit faster than studio versions so it can be a fast wee run to play.

Its just good fun. I'm really enjoying it.

Doesn't pay as well as the Glam band tho. Same drummer and singers in both bands with me.

Dave

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I occasionally use slap as well - works surprisingly well for punk 😁

Not sure i would even attempt that at one of the punk gigs. Fingerstyle was a push in a punk band and slap would be pushing it a wee bit i reckon.

That and the fact i'm not very good at slap. 

Dave

Lively gig on Saturday night. The venue was absolutely packed and dancefloor was packed from the first song till the last which makes it all worth it. I was nursing a sore ankle all night so unable to move around and dance like a nutter so the lads kindly obliged...

• Like 2

Last night's gig.......the iconic Nottingham venue Rock City for Beat the Streets. It was flippin awesome......particularly as Bowie played there in 1997. Might be a bit of a come down playing the Dog and Duck next.  Our 15 minutes of fame...well 30 minutes in fact

Rock city.jpg

• Like 8

Really enjoyable!  An enclosed, heated rooftop bar "battle of the bands" in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

We were the old guys playing with a bunch of much younger bands.  Our singer entered us in the contest on a lark.

We played rings around the other bands and then the judges chose the band that had three very attractive young women in it.  So it goes!!

It doesn't matter;  We had a lot of fun.  The venue's management and staff, the sound crew, the video crew and, especially, the members of other bands were all really, really nice with no exceptions.  It was a very fun crowd and a nice scene to fall into.  Hopefully we'll play with some of these folks again.

• Like 7