Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

The Led Zep tribute played to a packed venue on Thursday in Chester. Great gig and a great audience. You never know these days whether it's gonna be empty or sold out, although the last couple we've done have been pretty good. 

On the other hand, I've just heard that an acquaintance of mine died from Covid yesterday (un-vaxed of course). First person that I've known to die from it for about a year. We have one gig just between Christmas and New Year, then nothing until late February. I'm keeping an open mind about whether we do the gig or not... 

• Like 2

Played the Exchange in Risca last night. Not a huge crowd but really enthusiastic. We started a Our time management was dire and combined with the extended load out for the pa, I didn't get home until 2am (included a stop for an M.C. Plant). We get excellent FOH sound and lights, but at the cost of complexity.

Lots of positive feedback, but I was plagued by sound issues... I  had the bass Terror set as low as posiible to stop overwhelming the PA, had a huge resonance on A/Bb and for some reason my Voodoo fuzz made me sound like an angry wasp.

On the plus side played my first ever proper solo on fretless.

• Like 3

Second (and last) date of the Rascallion Village Hall Tour 2021 last night. Interesting setup - the folks at the hall had said they'd be removing the DJ desk for the night, but then decided it was too much hassle in between Friday night's regular "village pub" event and Sunday's Christmas Dinner, so we ended up with me and Mr Drums on the stage, and the other three down  on the dancefloor, which made for occasionally interesting inter-band communications. Also possibly the ultimate in socially-distanced gigs, with us at one end of the hall, and the small but perfectly-formed audience seated at tables at the far end. Anyway, despite a few minor "incidents", with final choruses omitted, extended codas added where there shouldn't be any, and somebody down the front starting at least one song before everybody was ready - cue much scurrying to catch up - we got away with it, and the audience enjoyed themselves and were *very* complimentary at the end. On the strength of last night we've been booked for the hall booking fella's birthday bash in February plus the promise of four more dates through 2022, and also a slot at a local outdoor festival in July, so it presumably can't have been as bad as it occasionally felt from where we were sitting!!! 😎

Bratoft.jpg

• Like 8

I depped with some friends in their rock band last night at a pub in Beverley. The guitarist/ keys player and the drummer have been friends for nearly 50 years now, and it’s always great to sit in with them. Usual stuff - mainly dad rock with a bit of Slade at the end. Crowd loved it, and the gig made even more enjoyable by some people in fancy dress. I used my 63 P.bass into GKMB800 and Gen 1 BF Compact cab, and had forgotten how good a Precision sounds in these sort of situations ( or any other TBH).

Hopefully not my last gig this month!

Edited by casapete
Speling
  • Like 4

On 18/12/2021 at 23:36, peteb said:

The Led Zep tribute played to a packed venue on Thursday in Chester. Great gig and a great audience. You never know these days whether it's gonna be empty or sold out, although the last couple we've done have been pretty good. 

On the other hand, I've just heard that an acquaintance of mine died from Covid yesterday (un-vaxed of course). First person that I've known to die from it for about a year. We have one gig just between Christmas and New Year, then nothing until late February. I'm keeping an open mind about whether we do the gig or not... 

For information - the gig after Christmas has now been cancelled... 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

We got through NYE, in the end we did 2x45 and a final third set of 30 min interrupted by the midnight chimes and I had to then busk my way through auld lang syne having never played it. We were originally going to finish final set before 12 and the DJ would play it in his set. Then the organiser changed his mind while we doing set 2. We chucked in as much non rock stuff as we'd briefly had chance to work up in the few rehearsals we had (non covid illness had ripped through the band, I was full of cold myself by NYE and struggled). The agent was there and moaned a bit at the end that we were unrehearsed and 'a bit heavy' but considering the band was put together to do biker rallies I didn't think we did a bad job, had them dancing at the end and got paid. I doubt we will be playing the venue again any time soon but it won't bother me too much, it's all a bit chicken in a basket for me despite the money being a bit better and a bigger stage to spread out on. We still had to provide our own PA so set up and break down was as much as usual, only thing we didn't need was lights.

nye band crop.jpg

Edited by KevB
  • Like 4

NYE was a small local(ish) bar; minimal gear (we used the venue's speakers as tops, brought our sub, drummer used a kick trigger, I used my Rumble 100 as a monitor, guitarist pedal/DI, one small monitor), we weren't too loud, and it was a revelation (again). Punters had a great night, and I was tapped up for another busy band as a part-time/dep. All good.

LFTs before and after, all clear.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

NYE was a small local(ish) bar; minimal gear (we used the venue's speakers as tops, brought our sub, drummer used a kick trigger, I used my Rumble 100 as a monitor, guitarist pedal/DI, one small monitor), we weren't too loud, and it was a revelation (again). Punters had a great night, and I was tapped up for another busy band as a part-time/dep. All good.

LFTs before and after, all clear.

EDIT as i got it after all about the LFT's. I'm a bit slow after all the Festivities ................honest 😂

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 2

Did our first show of 2022 last night at Hull New Theatre. Always our best/favourite gig so we were doubtful as to how things would be. Anyway, had around 1000 people turn up, and despite not playing or being able to rehearse for nearly 2 months due to illness in the band, things went just fine.

(Pics taken by our sound tech Rik and audience members.)

1140b841-6bf7-4dcd-824a-5186a8150895.JPG

25026dce-164f-498e-ba53-059498127464.JPG

ac65da06-39a8-480c-b591-89df193abbae.JPG

c8bec6ac-2a9f-4319-bdbd-87f5af482aeb.JPG

271650382_7075667009111845_6828850844399587242_n.jpg

c0bd5ea0-73b6-43a0-a8e0-1b2967e64ae2.JPG

• Like 15

Played The Bodega in Nottingham for a Bowie 75th Birthday Celebration gig. We headlined it with a support band and a solo guy on guitar all doing Bowie. Fabulous night, place was sold-out and absolutely jumping. People were coming up post gig with their eyes shining saying what a fantastic gig it was. Some night just gel and this was one of them.  

PXL_20220108_211655086.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.542e1f74cae13e5328e5f53bc95fb968.jpg

PXL_20220108_211659936.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.0b34ad4d563ecc62f8e3775e98181f0c.jpg

PXL_20220108_211818022.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.4be1b550b1e48b83863f2ceec4270bbf.jpg

271609771_4791421480895543_6217866688857723086_n.thumb.jpg.5262781f2c7a873ab72352028346393f.jpg

• Like 7

The Old Cold Store in Nottingham supporting the Star Botherer's album launch. No sound check but everyone was on top form and the 50 minute set flew by. Loads of compliments afterwards, and then I tucked into the excellent beer selection at the bar. Ace night

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cheddatom said:

The Old Cold Store in Nottingham supporting the Star Botherer's album launch. No sound check but everyone was on top form and the 50 minute set flew by. Loads of compliments afterwards, and then I tucked into the excellent beer selection at the bar. Ace night

We've played there, decent set up and sound guy, and as you say, great range of beers

• Like 1

Played at The Great British Rock and Blues last night, Skeggy, with Stray. It was a late one, 1115 to 1215 pm on the main stage. Sadly we were a man down due to illness. 

The supplied rig was an SVT Classic and 8x10 which was nice. For some reason, I couldn't get what I wanted out of it and have had better with my old Eden 4x10 and Bugera!! Sacrilege? 😂

Any was we had a great gig and went down well. Accomodation was decent, a massive rider and the food was blooming good. We ate in an onsite Italian restaurant and had an epic buffet breakfast this morning all thrown in. On the bus home  now cream crackered!!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, King Tut said:

Played at The Great British Rock and Blues last night, Skeggy, with Stray. It was a late one, 1115 to 1215 pm on the main stage. Sadly we were a man down due to illness. 

The supplied rig was an SVT Classic and 8x10 which was nice. For some reason, I couldn't get what I wanted out of it and have had better with my old Eden 4x10 and Bugera!! Sacrilege? 😂

Any was we had a great gig and went down well. Accomodation was decent, a massive rider and the food was blooming good. We ate in an onsite Italian restaurant and had an epic buffet breakfast this morning all thrown in. On the bus home  now cream crackered!!

We played there recently, and after lugging all our stuff upstairs to the stage, I uncovered the SVT rig behind a curtain - nobody had told me they had in house stuff we could use. 🤬

• Sad 2

So I have my first in the flesh gig tonight since 2020, helping out a mate who's bass player has been pinged. Fortunately I know the set as I used to dep with them regularly. It's an outdoor one, so it's going to be a bit chilly!

Following my recent back op I've decided to go as lightweight as I can and will take the Thunderbird, Ibanez EHB1505MS and the Guild Starfire 1. I certainly don't think I've gigged with a stranger, more varied trio of basses before so it should be fun!

In reality I'll use the Ibanez most of the evening but as I've not gigged with either the Guild or the Thunderbird I'd like to try them out too. 

• Like 2

Played @ Wixham retirement village Bedford last night...fabulous theatre, facilities & crowd...thank you all for making us welcome  a great, fun night.271942601_10158688299207374_6923157486140562602_n.jpeg.8d9918449e82c3280a4366c59e8baa75.jpeg

Edited by BCH
Error
  • Like 3

Pub gig on Sat night, via an agent. Actually as it turned out via about 3 agencies playing pass the parcel. You never know quite what you're going to get. On the plus side they had cleared the tables away in advance from an area which was then strictly cordoned off as 'band only'. Wish a few more places were as obliging as this. On the down side not really 'our' kind of crowd though we can tweak the set on the fly to put a few more 'low common denominator' songs in which are still reasonably fun to play. We had a few dancing by set 2 so I guess all in all could have been much worse. A couple of altercations between the house security and a few lary punters but nothing requiring police intervention. Decent work out after NYE and a more high profile bike club gig next Sat.

• Like 4

Played a load of old timey jazz numbers with a 10 piece Dixieland/New Orleans band as their stand in bassist. Not my usual thing but its great to get out of your comfort zone and it was great fun and went down a storm.

Gear = Fender P bass, Ashdown Spyder, Barefaced Two10. Sounded Superb.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Played a load of old timey jazz numbers with a 10 piece Dixieland/New Orleans band as their stand in bassist. Not my usual thing but its great to get out of your comfort zone and it was great fun and went down a storm.

Gear = Fender P bass, Ashdown Spyder, Barefaced Two10. Sounded Superb.  

Would love to hear what that sounded and looked like. Nice one @Quilly

Dave