Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Friday night saw my first full length gig with the band I joined at the beginning of 2020. It went pretty well.

A small venue, with a small crowd- but they were very appreciative. It was absolutely freezing in the venue, so I  do admire them all for sticking it out to the end. It was great to see people up and dancing- but whether they were moved by the music, or just trying to keep warm, we couldn't tell. 😁

Our set contains quite a few originals that are rather tricky to play. So I'm afraid I just stood there concentrating rather than trying to move about and look interesting.

The lovely KevB came along and took a video. It's  great, but I look very serious- almost on the point of biting my lip in concentration. But our wonderful front woman is very smiley and sings like an angel, so on the whole it came over well. 

We had some very nice comments afterwards, including from musicians I know and respect, so a good  night all in all. But I must learn to relax a bit with this set. Need to practice more I guess, so that it becomes second nature.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Seashell2 said:

Friday night saw my first full length gig with the band I joined at the beginning of 2020. It went pretty well.

A small venue, with a small crowd- but they were very appreciative. It was absolutely freezing in the venue, so I  do admire them all for sticking it out to the end. It was great to see people up and dancing- but whether they were moved by the music, or just trying to keep warm, we couldn't tell. 😁

Our set contains quite a few originals that are rather tricky to play. So I'm afraid I just stood there concentrating rather than trying to move about and look interesting.

The lovely KevB came along and took a video. It's  great, but I look very serious- almost on the point of biting my lip in concentration. But our wonderful front woman is very smiley and sings like an angel, so on the whole it came over well. 

We had some very nice comments afterwards, including from musicians I know and respect, so a good  night all in all. But I must learn to relax a bit with this set. Need to practice more I guess, so that it becomes second nature.

Hope to see some of the Vid clip if possible.  I was same the first gig i did after covid all clear with the new Punk band. To be honest i'm still trying to learn the songs to a point a dont need to concentrate too much but lack of rehearsing doesn't help as we went straight into 5 weekends in a trot.

Dave

• Like 1

Hated it! Trying to load both in and out and the ignorant just stood there and were completely unable to comprehend an "excuse me please" as you stood there with heavy speakers in each hand, again the ignorant who thought it entirely acceptable to want to walk across the stage to access the loos whilst we were setting up / stripping down, rather than bother to walk down the shot corridor signed "to the toilets!" A pub that couldn't work out how their own light worked which meant we were either in virtual darkness or complete daylight....I have to admit I haven't really enjoyed playing this pub, last night just re-enforced my dislike!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Roger2611 said:

Hated it! Trying to load both in and out and the ignorant just stood there and were completely unable to comprehend an "excuse me please" as you stood there with heavy speakers in each hand

Thats par for the course I am afraid. I always do an 'excuse me, heavy speakers coming through' and if they don't move, the heavy speakers come through.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

You’ll find it under ‘Glam Fever Live’ Dave

I found it under my Likes category. With FB changing i can never find anything these days.

Singer's good at the Slade songs. Not many male singers can reach that pitch. Well done there.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger2611 said:

Hated it! Trying to load both in and out and the ignorant just stood there and were completely unable to comprehend an "excuse me please" as you stood there with heavy speakers in each hand, again the ignorant who thought it entirely acceptable to want to walk across the stage to access the loos whilst we were setting up / stripping down, rather than bother to walk down the shot corridor signed "to the toilets!" A pub that couldn't work out how their own light worked which meant we were either in virtual darkness or complete daylight....I have to admit I haven't really enjoyed playing this pub, last night just re-enforced my dislike!

Best one i've had was The Blue Angels gig where a path was cleared for us, guys held doors open for us and several guys offered to give us a hand unloading and loading. Just goes to show you cant judge a book by its cover right enough. 

Last gig we had to walk up 2 flights of outside stairs where the smokers congregated at the mid-point. I was first up with a cab and asked if they could move over to the side while we loaded and thankfully they moved but a few ignored us when leaving at end of the night and got a cab corner in their back. I did ask politely but ignorance is no excuse for being stupid. :hi:

Dave :santa2:

• Like 1

Only just got round to posting but not much to recall. Sat night pub gig, not that many punters in and the area we were given to play in really suited to a solo player with backing tracks we ended up across a corner of the bar which meant gtr/vox was pretty much invisible to the bulk of punters so he was miserable all night. On top of that he now says he's got a dodgy LFT result back and is having a pcr test done to check. His wife is on the vulnerable list so he's rightly concerned. This week's rehearsal cancelled which gives us 1 potential go before xmas to run through a shed load of stuff we don't normally play for a NYE's bash. It'll be a car crash can see it coming. Ithought we were a bit lacklustre on Sat but a guy we all know who's been in many bands over the years popped in and said it sounded fine. One punter came up to us after the gig and said he'd enjoyed it so much he offered to buy us all a drink so a bit of positive feedback. That's probably it until the dreaded NYE 3 x 45min fiasco in the making.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KevB said:

Only just got round to posting but not much to recall. Sat night pub gig, not that many punters in and the area we were given to play in really suited to a solo player with backing tracks we ended up across a corner of the bar which meant gtr/vox was pretty much invisible to the bulk of punters so he was miserable all night. On top of that he now says he's got a dodgy LFT result back and is having a pcr test done to check. His wife is on the vulnerable list so he's rightly concerned. This week's rehearsal cancelled which gives us 1 potential go before xmas to run through a shed load of stuff we don't normally play for a NYE's bash. It'll be a car crash can see it coming. Ithought we were a bit lacklustre on Sat but a guy we all know who's been in many bands over the years popped in and said it sounded fine. One punter came up to us after the gig and said he'd enjoyed it so much he offered to buy us all a drink so a bit of positive feedback. That's probably it until the dreaded NYE 3 x 45min fiasco in the making.

Just about everyone I know, who is back gigging, seems to have caught covid. I suspect we'll all get it sooner or later.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KevB said:

Sometimes those "impending car crash" gigs turn out to go really well. And they will all be off their faces by 10pm anyway, so just relax and enjoy! Hope the dreaded virus stays away, cancellations are our biggest enemy ATM

admittedly this was a few nights ago, but for my first paid gig it was absolutely amazing! Got a nice little bit of cash, loads of mates turned out to see me and my band play, and to top it all off we’ve been offered a headliner at the venue in January! I can see why people like playing live now lol

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rogo said:

admittedly this was a few nights ago, but for my first paid gig it was absolutely amazing! Got a nice little bit of cash, loads of mates turned out to see me and my band play, and to top it all off we’ve been offered a headliner at the venue in January! I can see why people like playing live now lol

Excellent. When it goes well it’s about the most fun you can have with your clothes still on. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, gjones said:

Just about everyone I know, who is back gigging, seems to have caught covid. I suspect we'll all get it sooner or later.

Our singer in the Glam Rock band caught it altho it was during one of his solo gigs.

I've been back gigging with both bands for couple of months and we've been lucky i guess. All triple vaccinated exxcept for the singer that's just caught it.

Its weird how it moves.

Dave

One of my other band's Christmas do at a big church in Cullercoats, raising money for cherrideee.

Big churches are a challenge, so the PA had delayed cabs throughout, so it sounded wonderful wherever you were.

It was all lit beautifully, too.

We thought we'd better do some Christmas tunes, and hoped a fairly ad-hoc version of Silent Night in, which - in the cold light of day - came out pretty well. Here it is (apologies for lack of bass content).

vlcsnap-2021-12-16-23h48m52s286.thumb.jpg.24f04e197f8c285f431f883fe3e6df10.jpg

PC160147.thumb.jpg.f4bde15c22f046f21f0c0273c1f3d763.jpg

PC160058.thumb.jpg.3f29bd83b00a9c363851689fe716908a.jpg

PC160067.thumb.jpg.c54683488b11cd1ee24dadeeff7795e3.jpg

PC160128.thumb.jpg.e79046ccea5807985af4c83db371a354.jpg

PC160133.thumb.jpg.956cb6702cd6fa39220ec68f9a96ea79.jpg

• Like 4

I’ve gigged quite a fair bit this year with the new Northern Soul band that started last year. Last night’s was a fosters poor turnout. Other bar (though all open plan as such), had a few, but we had maybe a handful. A few ventured in for a dance then went back. We were offered the chance before we started to get paid the full amount and pack up, or play- our  choice. We played, as thought, we may as well. Everyone seems to have either been scared witless unnecessarily, or they’re frightened of having their Christmas screwed up with the dreaded ping. I don’t post in the vaccine topic, lest I get into an argument- even though  I’ve been tripled. The venue are really whizzed off- lockdown in all but name, but minus the furlough. Anyway, I digress. 

Last night’s rig 

D4430FA3-5FB4-4906-BC73-418B41E49F7D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1