Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played my first gig with a "new" band last night... New in that I joined at the end of October but they've been going over ten years. Absolute belter. Made plenty of little fumbles at the start but no songs fell apart. Played one of their biggest gigs first off, great experience this time of year with people out in party mood and knocking out a few Xmas songs. More practice to do, next gig is 7th January!! But people were out in force last night to enjoy live music, it was a great experience.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think that's the sensible decision if you like the band and are all good musicians that generally have no other concerns then its a minor annoyance more than anything else. Think i'd be the same.

Some songs with some audiences just dont work and maybe it was just a combination of events.

What was the song out of curiosity ?

Dave

Marry you by Bruno Mars - bear in mind that we play alternative rock/ indie! So a few really fast numbers then that dirge. We only ever play it on the odd time we do weddings, this was a Christmas party for a local place. Set was divided into three sections - fast/ rockier songs ( the lighter end of our more usual stuff, we don’t do the heavier stuff at mixed gigs like this) then a few more mainstream ones (Oasis, Bruce Springsteen sort of stuff) then Christmas songs to finish. It was only right at the very end with Slade and Wizzard that we got back to the numbers we had had at first. Quite often the last minute additions will be stuff that they want to play with the other band (and hence the drummers agreement) which makes sense, but is still annoying, but why would you put it in a Christmas set? Teenage dirtbag was the song dropped to put it in. 

Last nights Christmas gig went ok.  It's a low concrete ceiling at this venue and we suffered a bit with the vocalists monitors reflecting the sound back off the ceiling to the rhythm section and I couldn't hear myself play for much of the show, but was told I didn't drop any clangers.  Guitarist hurt his back the morning of the show, but an emergency appointment with an osteopath, a stool to sit on and some crack cocaine just about saw him gut through the show.  Fair play to him.  Thats it now until the end of January.

DSCF1583.thumb.JPG.d56e0f04cd7698a235f6176c2d102a00.JPG

• Like 3

Brilliant gig last night with the 'Spoons at Krakatoa in Aberdeen - our first post lockdown public gig.

Was supposed to be starting at 10 but things were running late so we didn't get started until nearly 11. Grateful for folk sticking around. I was getting a bit grumpy at the sliding schedule and I think I managed to channel it into my playing. Blew the place to bits, lots of people up dancing until the end. Was decidedly ungrumpy at the end :)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Had a cracking pre-Christmas gig in Sheffield last night, the last local gig of the year so we made the most of it. Hope the FB link works this time!

https://www.facebook.com/molly.moo.1044186/videos/1222652248260116/?

Sounding really good there guys. The bass sounds really nice. What rig were you using for that one. Nice well rounded tone and nice and clear. Loving the bass on that. Few wee fills added that fitted really well. That could have been Trev himself on bass.

Dave

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sounding really good there guys. The bass sounds really nice. What rig were you using for that one. Nice well rounded tone and nice and clear. Loving the bass on that. Few wee fills added that fitted really well. That could have been Trev himself on bass.

Dave

Thanks Dave, like Trev I was using a Mustang, in this case the Mikey Way sig though. Always surprised by the nice tone from a humble bass. Rig was a Makbass Little Marcus 500 through 2 NY121 cabs. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Thanks Dave, like Trev I was using a Mustang, in this case the Mikey Way sig though. Always surprised by the nice tone from a humble bass. Rig was a Makbass Little Marcus 500 through 2 NY121 cabs. 

Is it just backline i'm hearing or thru PA as well.

Dave

31 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is it just backline i'm hearing or thru PA as well.

Dave

Just backline Dave, for the smaller places we don’t bother with going through the PA

Thought I’d add this one - for a laugh...

https://www.facebook.com/molly.moo.1044186/videos/646281243392120/

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Just backline Dave, for the smaller places we don’t bother with going through the PA

Thought I’d add this one - for a laugh...

https://www.facebook.com/molly.moo.1044186/videos/646281243392120/

Brilliant. our singer Mikey does a bit of audience participation in the clubs. Makes for an interesting night as we never really know when he's gonna go off on a tour. 😂

Sounding good with a nice overall balance.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

It can be a bit lacking on stage, I have to take care not to turn up too much. I always go out front and make sure the balance is ok.

I was sure i had you guys on my FB like page ? Can't find it.

Can you send me the link or band name again so i can follow you on FB. 

I do love a bit of Glam.

Dave

My first gig last night in a while - illness and Covid has meant my main band hasn't worked for ages. Last night was a regular gig for me with function band 'The Black Suits', an outfit featuring my duo guitarist colleague along with keys and drums. The gig was at the wonderful Kings Hall in Ilkley, one of my favourite parts of the world. Lovely old theatre with a large heavily raked old-style stage. Long haul in with the gear from the front of the building right through the auditorium to the high stage, which fortunately has a hydraulic lift. Resident tech Ollie was incredibly helpful, along with all the other staff - wish all gigs were like this. Event was a Christmas charity fund raiser, always well attended and great crowd.

Took along my Jazz bass and couldn't get rid of a really bad interference onstage during soundcheck - only became manageable when I turned 90 degrees to the audience! Tried everything to sort it, and eventually succeeded by using the guitarist's spare wireless system. After that the gig went really well, two sets of mainly upbeat dance stuff as well as a final Christmas tune. Was knackered when we'd finished though - set off at 2pm, back home at 3 am! Am getting a bit old for this malarkey, although probably down to not being match fit due to getting out of the habit I think / hope!

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

• Like 6

We played a Xmas function last night, it was a blast. We hammed it up for the punters - Saturday Night's Alright, Wish It Could Be Xmas, Livin La Vida Loca and all that, got about 60 people on the dance floor, the rest were outside vaping as usual or staring at their phones. The punters were a tough nut to crack at first (a bit of Covid caution we think) , but once they were up they were up for the entire night so that was a good result. Interesting point though, we had a last minute rethink of the setlist and decided to throw out Valerie as we thought it might cause a stampede to the bar. When we came to that point in our set our singer/guitarist, who starts that particular song off, forgot we'd axed it so we played it anyway and it turned out to be the number that got the party started. I mean, how can you sit through I Wish staring at your phone, then jump up and start dancing to Valerie? Nothing like knowing your audience (not!). 

• Like 5