Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice wee punk gig in Riverside Bar in Dumfries. The band have played there quite a few times but a first for me.

First live band since covid so not as busy as it usually is but a decent sized crowd with several people of varying ages up dancing. Blondie being a floor filler to the point our stage area was being pushed back 😂

Good feedback from the audience afterwards and some good phone vids posted on FB. 

Using the new Sandberg MarloweDK last night and it sounded amazing and so easy to play. Also got my Mesa Mpulse back from repair altho only fault found was dirty master volume pot. Fully serviced and it was great to have "that tone" back again after using my Markbass Nano for past 2 gigs.

All in all a pretty good night, few minor mistakes made one where i had a complete loss of memory during a short guitar solo and had to just ad-lib on the root notes for 2 bars and then my memory came back. I'm still learning the songs to a point where i dont need to think about them.

Had put new strings on the bass that day and it left me with some prettty painful blisters on my plucking hand. I usually put new strings on a week before the gig so the edge is taken off them but i only got the bass on Thu afternoon.

Dave

1690472394_CaptureEEatDumfries4_12_21.thumb.PNG.42b109b1f571255973ba89791c7b5267.PNG

Looking good Dave

• Thanks 1

Second gig with the new band, Horsham in deepest Sussex. Female vocalist dropped out sick a couple of hours before so a set list change, dropped some, changed keys on others, all good to keep us on our toes. Another charity event which are helpful as we  settle in together with half the band being new - a bit less pressure but still a gig rather than a rehearsal room. Apart from a seriously drunk couple constantly asking for Hotel California (you may have met them at one of your gigs!) it was a good night, we had a couple of “moments” but sorted them out without the audience knowing. It’s a pleasure to play with these guys. 

BA02F1F9-D158-411E-8F3C-C82E3F3C7A37.jpeg

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, martthebass said:

https://www.facebook.com/evans.nicoleta/videos/306641567930260/

Sorry about the quality of this (recorded by an enthusiastic member of the audience) but the Glamfever XMas roadshow got on the way last night. Really missed it last year, determined to enjoy it this year!

Link doesn't open. ?

Dave

5 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Does for me...maybe the poster had set it to private? Never mind.

I've had same issue putting FB clips onto BC. I can still see them but no-one else can.

I was keen to see your clip too. Is it on youtube by any chance. ?

Dave

Couple of weeks ago now (19th November), first gig for the new band, and actually my first ever gig other than a few open mics. Nothing major, just a fund-raising evening at a local village hall which we did for free, but guess we've all got to start somewhere! Got through the evening with no major foul-ups, the audience enjoyed it, and we got lots of compliments afterwards, which was nice. Next gig on the 2021 Village Hall Tour is the weekend before Christmas, then we're booked for a private event in March 2022, but hopefully we'll get more gigs as word gets around. Onwards and upwards! 😎

https://fb.watch/9JPwI3N4wk/

Anderby 1.jpg

Anderby 2.jpg

Anderby 3.jpg

Edited by tony_m
make pics more sensible size!
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, tony_m said:

Couple of weeks ago now (19th November), first gig for the new band, and actually my first ever gig other than a few open mics. Nothing major, just a fund-raising evening at a local village hall which we did for free, but guess we've all got to start somewhere! Got through the evening with no major foul-ups, the audience enjoyed it, and we got lots of compliments afterwards, which was nice. Next gig on the 2021 Village Hall Tour is the weekend before Christmas, then we're booked for a private event in March 2022, but hopefully we'll get more gigs as word gets around. Onwards and upwards! 😎

Anderby 1.jpg

Anderby 2.jpg

Anderby 3.jpg

That was good, enjoyed it. 

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony_m said:

Anderby 1.jpg

Anderby 2.jpg

Anderby 3.jpg

What’s the live music scene like over there? I spent most of my childhood holidays at Skegness/Ingoldmels/Chapel and have been back occasionally over the years. Always enjoy a trip to the Lincolnshire coast. Lots of caravan sites and ‘lively’ boozers. Hopefully plenty of gigging opportunities for covers bands but not for the faint-hearted. 😉

22 hours ago, SuperSeagull said:

Second gig with the new band, Horsham in deepest Sussex. Female vocalist dropped out sick a couple of hours before so a set list change, dropped some, changed keys on others, all good to keep us on our toes. Another charity event which are helpful as we  settle in together with half the band being new - a bit less pressure but still a gig rather than a rehearsal room. Apart from a seriously drunk couple constantly asking for Hotel California (you may have met them at one of your gigs!) it was a good night, we had a couple of “moments” but sorted them out without the audience knowing. It’s a pleasure to play with these guys. 

BA02F1F9-D158-411E-8F3C-C82E3F3C7A37.jpeg

Blimey, some big names in the band.

Jonny Vegas - Drums

Eric Clapton - Bass

Uncle Albert - Guitar

Harry Hill - Guitar

Damon Hill - Vocals

😀😀😀😀

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Len_derby said:

What’s the live music scene like over there? I spent most of my childhood holidays at Skegness/Ingoldmels/Chapel and have been back occasionally over the years. Always enjoy a trip to the Lincolnshire coast. Lots of caravan sites and ‘lively’ boozers. Hopefully plenty of gigging opportunities for covers bands but not for the faint-hearted. 😉

Hmm, don't know how to describe it really! I'm originally from Blackpool, so Skeg's a bit like stepping back in time 20 or so years! As far as live music goes, there seem to be enough classic rock / indie / pop covers bands to go around and do the "lively boozer" scene - the rest of the guys have all been in umpteen bands over the years and don't want to get involved in that any more, so we thought we'd aim for the more music-oriented pubs (I'm not yet totally au fait with the area, but think there's a couple in Louth and one in Horncastle for starters) and local festivals etc. Well, it's either that, or we stick to the village hall circuit, where at least there's a chance they'll feed us on the night...  😆

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

We had an acoustic gig on Saturday. The Tumble Rock Brewery. Good hours engaged crowd and good pay. We played a 2:00 - 5:00 set. Most important, we had fun.

Blue

FB_IMG_1632782652348~2.jpg

3 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Looked like fun mate, hope you’re doing well Blue.

Yep not heard much from you recently @Bluewine. Hope all is good and things picking up for you.

Dave

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep not heard much from you recently @Bluewine. Hope all is good and things picking up for you.

Dave

Surgery is done and I'm moving forward.

Blue

21 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Between Maple Road and our acoustic act I had the busiest summer of my life.

Blue

• Like 3

12 hours ago, tony_m said:

Hmm, don't know how to describe it really! I'm originally from Blackpool, so Skeg's a bit like stepping back in time 20 or so years! As far as live music goes, there seem to be enough classic rock / indie / pop covers bands to go around and do the "lively boozer" scene - the rest of the guys have all been in umpteen bands over the years and don't want to get involved in that any more, so we thought we'd aim for the more music-oriented pubs (I'm not yet totally au fait with the area, but think there's a couple in Louth and one in Horncastle for starters) and local festivals etc. Well, it's either that, or we stick to the village hall circuit, where at least there's a chance they'll feed us on the night...  😆

It might be a bit out of your preferred range but there’s an active music scene in Newark. They had a great little blues festival in the castle grounds each September that, unfortunately, seems to have ceased. One of my daughters used to live in Newark and whenever I visited at the weekend there was always bands on. In contrast, I spent a weekend in Gainsborough last October and as far as I was able to tell, there was no live music whatsoever anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Len_derby said:

It might be a bit out of your preferred range but there’s an active music scene in Newark. They had a great little blues festival in the castle grounds each September that, unfortunately, seems to have ceased. One of my daughters used to live in Newark and whenever I visited at the weekend there was always bands on. In contrast, I spent a weekend in Gainsborough last October and as far as I was able to tell, there was no live music whatsoever anywhere.

Yeah, when I was first looking after we'd moved over here I'd wondered about Newark (and Lincoln itself). Then I discovered just how shocking the road system and surfaces are over here, and how long it can take to get not-really-very-far-at-all, so decided to limit my search to the coastal strip. It's taken a while and a number of false starts, but hopefully things have all fallen nicely into place with this little combo. As for Gainsborough, that's one of the places we've still never visited despite being over here for five years now - my Better Half's daughter and her partner are old-time folk / Americana players, and attended the "Friends of American Old Time Music and Dance" festival held at a school there last year, but that's as far as my knowledge of music in Gainsborough goes!

• Like 1

Great gig last night...on a Tuesday!...fundraiser for the Bedford cardiac unit (we get higher defib' volts) @ a indoor bowling club...2 x 1hr+ sets. We decided to play our set numbers in year order...1958 to 2011 and context the year with a major event & what we were doing..went down well, will prob do it again with a seated audience. 

IMG_2491.thumb.jpg.17c08658efb08b7b3f7f120a14551b79.jpg

• Like 3

I had a dep gig with an acoustic instrument/vocal band called Eeek, at a club in Wolverhampton last night called "Georgeous" doing Christmas Carols. It's been decades since i have played any of those kind of songs and back then it was on guitar. 

Nice gig and really nice band to play with. I think this is the third dep i have done for them.

• Like 3